Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Help! Need recommendations

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 01-18-19, 05:10 AM
wep326

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all! I have been reading through this forum and wanted to see what your opinion was on this. I am 6’3 and about 340 lbs. I went to my local bike shop and they recommended the Giant Roam 3 for me. I am hesitant of course and want to gather others opinions. My budget is no more than $650. I’m also looking for mainly paved trails and maybe some dirt or gravel trails. Nothing crazy! Is that a good option or do you have other suggestions?

Last edited by wep326; 01-18-19 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-18-19, 08:53 AM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That looks like a reasonable ride to me. Giant is a good brand. 32 spoke wheels will hold the heft. I would recommend riding a couple of brands just to see the differences in fit.

I would measure your sit bones (
) and make sure the saddle is the correct width for you.

I'm 6'2" and was at 340 a couple months ago - and 350 a while before that. I weighed in this morning at 317. Don't be surprised when you don't ride 25 miles first time out. I was shocked at how little I could do given I used to be a pretty avid biker - 25 years ago and 120lbs ago... LOL guess I shouldn't have been surprised! Anyway, start small and you will build your stamina.
Old 01-18-19, 09:39 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
That ride will be fine but I would recommend a front fork without a suspension in it. You will probably get a better ride, but nothing wrong at all with the roam.

as cobalt said, start easy and work your way up. Stamina will build quickly if your ride regularly.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 01-18-19, 09:51 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
All the above.

I was at about 351 about 3 months ago, and scaled in at 293.2 this morning. While my progress thus far has only included a small amount of cycling, getting back on the bike is my goal.
As I didn't want to buy a bike (there were budgetary concerns, as well) just for a temporary condition, and though a couple of my current bikes could take the weight, I went ahead and knocked out the first 50 or so lbs on a treadmill and logging everything that went into my pie hole.

If you're worried about the wheels, a 32h or 36h (provided decent spokes and rims) set should do you fine, but I'd suggest you get it hand tensioned either way.
Old 01-18-19, 02:18 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Eh... I'm not a fan of suspension forks at that price point. If you're a Giant fan, IMO I think you'd be better served with something from the Escape line. Pick an Escape at your price comfort zone. If you can, negotiate for a few perks like discounts on helmet, gloves, etc. Even better, tell them you want the wheels "hand tuned" with uniform spoke tension set at the upper limit. That'll help a guy your size get a bit of life out of the wheels. If you can't make a deal on an Escape, rest assured every major brand has their own version of a flat bar road bike with capacity for wider tires. Check the competition.

-Kedosto
Old 01-19-19, 08:45 AM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt123
TDon't be surprised when you don't ride 25 miles first time out. I was shocked at how little I could do given I used to be a pretty avid biker - 25 years ago and 120lbs ago... LOL guess I shouldn't have been surprised! Anyway, start small and you will build your stamina.
As someone who was a fitness fanatic until age 32 or so, and still pretty good until 38... now approaching 60 and have had decades of largely sedentary life and gained a lot of weight in my 40s and 50s... now I am losing weight and wanting to get at least decently fit again, I completely agree. When you're really out of shape, not only are your muscle endurance and cardio capacity not there, flexibility and strength in tendons and ligaments, balance and agility are all lacking. Trying to go too hard too quickly can result in discouragement or injury. Start out small with moderate exercise, include flexibility and balance work, and gradually increase duration and difficulty as you build fitness. It's a journey, not a sprint, and there may be setbacks, but the key thing is not to give up. I am down 55lb and am far better than the dark days, but still have some distance to travel on this path.
Old 01-19-19, 09:31 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wep326
Hello all! I have been reading through this forum and wanted to see what your opinion was on this. I am 6’3 and about 340 lbs. I went to my local bike shop and they recommended the Giant Roam 3 for me. I am hesitant of course and want to gather others opinions. My budget is no more than $650. I’m also looking for mainly paved trails and maybe some dirt or gravel trails. Nothing crazy! Is that a good option or do you have other suggestions?
If you are new to riding I would suggest you buy something relatively cheap off of craigslist. Depending on your area you may be able to find some decent brand name bikes (Specialized, Giant, Trek, etc.). For the type of riding you are describing most bikes should do. It is hard to tell but it sounds like you are new to cycling or this will be your first bike since you were younger. If that is the case get some riding experience and ride as many bikes as you can so you will be able to compare how each one feels.
Old 01-20-19, 04:15 PM
wep326

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions! Kind of set on buying a new bike out of this I want to know that there is a warranty as well as it’s not been beaten up. I’ve kind of settled on specialized at this point that I saw at a local bike shop. The front forks can be locked out which I think is nice plus in my area it is bumpy even on the road. Thank you for the suggestion for the hand tunes wheel, the bike shop state they will do this for free. The bike shop feels that The rear tire may last me six months to a year depending on how much I ride and offered to make a more sturdy custom rim if needed.

Thank you
Old 01-26-19, 12:00 PM
wep326

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all! Thanks for the recommendations! I, after 5 different test rides, settled on a Specialized Roll Sport with low entry. I like the low entry as it was more comfortable in my opinion than the traditional style. I got the rim hand tightened like you guys suggested and it already comes with a 36 spoke rear and a 34 spoke front. I’m excited for the weather to get nice to begin riding. For now I will stick to the gym!
Old 01-26-19, 12:59 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
congrats!
Old 01-30-19, 09:09 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Hi all! Thanks for the recommendations! I, after 5 different test rides, settled on a Specialized Roll Sport with low entry. I like the low entry as it was more comfortable in my opinion than the traditional style. I got the rim hand tightened like you guys suggested and it already comes with a 36 spoke rear and a 34 spoke front. I’m excited for the weather to get nice to begin riding. For now I will stick to the gym!
congrats on the new bike. Post some photos. Also the front wheel has 32 spokes
Old 02-03-19, 06:36 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on the bike!

You could get a trainer if you want to start in the cold weather. I've been using this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00XLKVC...i-a=B00XLKVC44

It's been solid so far, and works well with zwift