Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lezyne Y10 GPS and Ally V2 app questions

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 08:05 PM
Lively or Not

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage, 1976 Araya commuter (yes, they make frames)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I'm looking at buying either Lezyne's Macro or Mega GPS computer and have a few very specific questions for any users of Lezyne's Y10 products. ...Lezyne designated their first year's GPS models as Y9 and their second year's lineup as Y10... Also, I know there are significant differences between the 1st version of Lezyne Ally and the current 2nd version, so please note if you're using the first version.
  1. If you copy a route to the GPS from the phone, can you begin navigating in the middle of the route?
  2. Is a data connection required to copy a TCX file from the phone to the gps? I'm unclear whether importing TCX routes requires an active connection to the Lezyne Root website, or whether you can import the route from a file on your phone using the Ally app.
  3. Will the unit record and/or display speed (based on GPS) if you don't connect any sensors?
  4. If the GPS has a location fix and your phone is connected via Bluetooth, can you view your current location on a map within the Lezyne Ally V2 app (assuming you've downloaded offline maps)?
  5. Does the GPS offer audio alerts for upcoming turns when using navigation?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Lively or Not; 02-03-19 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 11:18 PM
nealcollins

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1, Trek Cobia, Vivente Deccan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. Yes. Need to check this one - I'll update once I have a chance to test this.
2. No, as long as you have downloaded the route to your phone first.
3. Yes
4. Not sure. The GPS Ally apps does show your current location but I assume that it is using the phones GPS to do that.
5. Yes

Last edited by nealcollins; 02-10-19 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Update answer 1
Old 02-09-19, 07:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6969 Post(s)
Liked 10,966 Times in 4,691 Posts
Neal's answers look right to me. Additions:
#4 : I don't recall if the GPS will show current location, but it's easy to find it on your phone's native maps app.
#5 : The GPS can be set to beep before a turn, but I usually have difficulty hearing it. 'Course, my hearing is lousy.
Old 02-09-19, 11:30 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
  1. Will the unit record and/or display speed (based on GPS) if you don't connect any sensors?
  2. If the GPS has a location fix and your phone is connected via Bluetooth, can you view your current location on a map within the Lezyne Ally V2 app (assuming you've downloaded offline maps)?
  3. Does the GPS offer audio alerts for upcoming turns when using navigation?
1. Yep
2. I think so, usually too busy to stop and look. Always know your route as a backup.
3. Yep

It's a good unit. I first bought the micro but my 47 year old eyes don't see it so well, I can but bigger seems better. I bought a Super GPS which seems to be perfect for me. I like Lezyne and their sensors also add to that experience, I recommend them. I also set mine to show me as I complete every 2 miles and then do a lap comparison at 5 miles. It uploads to strava almost immediately and sends my wife a tracking email every ride without me having to do anything as long as I have the app open on my phone.
Old 02-09-19, 02:18 PM
Lively or Not

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage, 1976 Araya commuter (yes, they make frames)

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for everyone's responses; they've been very helpful. The reason I want to know if the Ally app will show the GPS location or cell phone location is because when I ride into really rural areas (as I'm prone to do), my phone tends to drop its GPS connection. My hope is that the Micro's GPS will allow me to see my location on a map even when my phone has no GPS connection. While a Lezyne Mega can show map data, I'm not willing to pay the "mega" price.

Based on the feedback here, I pulled the trigger and bought a Micro today. I'm quite happy with it so far. Although I've not taken it out on a ride yet, I did test the Ally GPS data question. Turns out the app shows the GPS unit's location instead of relying on the phone's GPS connection. I think this will serve me well.