Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Does ANYONE ride Marin??

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Does ANYONE ride Marin??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 01:52 AM
gat3keeper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm interested with this brand. Any more feedback regarding their hardtails ?
Old 02-21-19, 01:29 PM
Bikesplendor

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gat3keeper
I'm interested with this brand. Any more feedback regarding their hardtails ?
Yes, I have two of them. One is a 1994 hardtail that I bought new back then. Great bike. Uses an excellent Japanese tubing that is similar to Reynolds 853. "Team Marin." White Industries cartridge bearing hubs, Marin brakes that are similar in design to Avid Tri-align. Work exceptionally well, easy to adjust. XT derailleurs. Beautiful color scheme. Someone has a little video on YT that shows it off. I'll see if I can link it below. I've gotten a fair number of compliments along the lines of "nice lookin bike."

The company is based in Marin County, where the mountain bike movement got started. They know what they're doing. Like most companies, they make lower-range bikes and higher-range bikes. I would expect the lower range components not to last as long as the better ones. I would suggest Deore, LX, SLX, XT or XTR level components.

The other bike is a 2000 Pine Mountain. LX components. Solid, reliable bike. Enjoyable to ride. Metallic forest green. Nice look. They tend to go with more natural, subtle or subdued aesthetics, unlike flashier companies. Columbus tubing.

I also have a titanium frame from them, made with Sandvic tubing.

They told me about why they chose the unusual Fuji tubing. One of their guys was in Japan and saw some interesting looking tubing on a dock. He inquired, and it turned out to be a good find. They seem smaller and more informal than the more corporate bike guys.

BTW I used to live in Marin. Check out Joe Breeze's Marin Museum of Bicycling videos. I've talked with him, and he's a really nice guy. The bike guys in Marin have a long history and know their field.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. I'll link that video if it's still up.

That's the '95, and very similar.

Last edited by Bikesplendor; 02-21-19 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 02:12 PM
Bikesplendor

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a guy who did a rough stuff round-the-world tour on a Team Marin exactly like the one I have. He did a lot of extreme off-road routes. Kind of like Iohan Gueoruiev, but pre-dating him. He was very pleased with the bike.
Old 02-16-20, 04:12 PM
OldJack9211

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i am looking at a bobcat trail 5....looks pretty nice for 850 bucks. govvelo is the company
Old 02-18-20, 01:03 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by OldJack9211
i am looking at a bobcat trail 5....looks pretty nice for 850 bucks. govvelo is the company
solid company, did you have a question?
Old 02-18-20, 01:30 PM
OldJack9211

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
no questions...thanks