Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you ever confront bad drivers?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 03:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
good for you & a heartwarming story. thanks for sharing
Old 02-07-19, 03:46 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
I posted this in 2008 on another forum:

I was having a pretty good ride last night down around Mason, enjoying the coolish but sunny weather. About 20 miles in, I had just turned onto a little country road and was approaching a small hill. As I started my climb, I noted a car behind me--it was hanging back which didn't cause me any alarm--there were a couple of on-coming cars just cresting the hill and there wasn't room to pass. Once they'd cleared, I heard the car behind me accelerate so I glanced again in my mirror, and saw they'd swung well into the left lane to overtake (good) but that a young fellow on the passenger side was leaning out the window with his fist raised. (not good!) I just had time to think, "aw crap," before they passed and I felt a light impact on my left hand--they'd thrown a 1/2-eaten hot dog in a bun at me! Lots of yellow mustard, it seemed--I had some on my glove and all over my brake hood and lever.

I was pissed, of course--raised up the ol' single finger salute. But here's the kicker--these guys had just pulled out of a driveway I'd passed at the base of the hill. I'd seen them getting into the car when I rode by! I've had to shrug off a few rude drivers over the years; this seemed a chance to get in a return shot. So, after a moment's consideration, I turned around and rode back to the house. Rang the doorbell, and another young fellow answered--he claims he surely had no idea who might've left the place in a white Grand Am about three minutes ago. Well, heck, why would he? So I told him "well, I'll just call the cops-maybe they can help you remember." Walking my bike down the drive, I pulled out my cell phone (first time I've had to use it for a ride occurence since I bought it for just this purpose a few years back) and call the sheriff's office. I was shaking, reaction, anger and the chill air once I'd stopped moving, but I felt pretty determined to see it through at this point.

The dispatcher took the address info and an outline of the story, and told me to wait there "if I didn't feel in any danger," and an officer would be there directly. The kid in the house seemed more sheepish than pissed, so I stuck around.

I chewed on a Clif bar to calm myself while waiting, and wished I could have just had a nice ride instead of standing there watching the mustard dry on my brake lever. I had time to wonder if the cop would be supportive, whether I should've just let it slide. After a few minutes, a car approached and slowed. It pulled into the driveway and a 40ish woman looked over at me. I walked over and told her my tale of woe. To her credit, she was immediately sympathetic and angry at the kids--the driver was her son, and she allowed that a grounding with no car might help him resist similar acts in the future. We talked a bit, and then she went inside. She came right back out again, said "I knew where they went, so I've called them to get back here and apologize. They were pretty shocked that you were here!" She then stayed outside with me until the Deputy arrived He was very professional and took the act seriously. He asked me if I wanted to press charges of assault. I told him if we could give the kids a talking to, I'd settle for an apology and a promise to not do such things in the future, which is pretty much what I got when they got back shortly after. They were pretty sheepish, pretty obviously more sorry they'd been caught than for the act, but for 17-18 year old males, pretty contrite. I was a hell-raiser myself at that age, responsible for more than my share of stupid stunts, so I told them, "you'll look back on this when you're my age and wonder how you could've ever been such a dumb ass." The driver even got a wet cloth and cleaned off my brake hood so I could ride back to my car without getting more mustard on my glove.

Talking with the mom and then the cop had pretty much drained my anger about the whole thing and I was even a bit embarrassed at the stink I'd made, justified though I think it was. Plus I was quite chilled and it was getting late and I really just wanted to go home. I joked with the kids a little more than I had planned and in hindsight I wonder if they really got the scare I wanted them to. I spent a lot of time last night second guessing myself about what I said, should have said and so on. But all in all, I think they were forced to acknowledge that someone on a bike was not a target for cheap laughs and that maybe pitching garbage at a stranger from a speeding car wasn't the best way to amuse oneself. In the end, I just hope that is the lesson that sticks...like mustard.

I've been riding these roads for 15 years now, and this is the first time I've actually been contacted by anything--the occasional shouted swear word or impatient passer, but never before have anyone actually reached out and touched me, as it were. I am somewhat pleased that I was able to reach right back in this instance!
Good story. Should've had the sheriff put them in handcuffs for about 20 minutes......
Old 02-07-19, 09:14 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Kristine29
thank you for bringing up this topic
This.
I am clueless and my whole life I have never known what to do when someone else does something wrong no matter what the situation.
This thread has cleared everything up for me
Old 02-08-19, 01:38 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
There's a time and a place where someone's going to be rational, and prepared to listen. And then there's a time and a place when any attempt to do so will be fruitless at best, and disastrous at worst.

I'm guessing you guys on these six pages are able to understand this, though i'm sure it'll be easier for some than others.
Old 02-08-19, 07:27 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
There's a time and a place where someone's going to be rational, and prepared to listen. And then there's a time and a place when any attempt to do so will be fruitless at best, and disastrous at worst.

I'm guessing you guys on these six pages are able to understand this, though i'm sure it'll be easier for some than others.
Emotions have a way of displacing our rational thinking. And not always at times of distress.
Old 02-08-19, 07:56 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
We humans are hard wired to display and perceive rage to varying degrees. Must serve some sociobiological purpose.
Old 02-08-19, 08:21 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I don't want to get shot by some lunatic. If there's not contact, probably not going to do anything.

I do think they should come out with "regionally 'safe' jerseys". In the south for rural roads.........a red MAGA or I Love Jesus jersey. Or "member NRA". For the hippie areas "go AOC!!!"
Old 02-08-19, 08:46 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Yes, many times. Based on my experience, it's about 50/50 whether it's effective or not. Some drivers properly acknowledge their mistake and apologize, and some don't. I've even stopped to pick up a bag of fast food garbage after the teenage passengers through it out their window, almost hitting me. I caught up to them at the light and threw it back in their car.

If you have a near miss, I highly recommend reporting it. There is a national registry that every cyclist can use: https://closecalldatabase.com/

In addition, if you have video footage, keep it and make note if it when you make the report. They have experts that can extract license plate numbers if needed.

The advantage of this is that a driver's defense in court is often "I didn't see him", or "It was unintentional", but lawyers and police can check this database, and it's much harder for them to claim ignorance or accident when there is a trail of documented behavior. The great thing is that many drivers won't even know they're in the database until it really matters.

If you are ever in an accident or have to go to court over something like this. Make sure you contact them with as much information as you can. It could make the difference between letting an aggressive driver back on the ride, and a more fitting legal punishment.
Old 02-08-19, 08:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
We humans are hard wired to display and perceive rage to varying degrees. Must serve some sociobiological purpose.
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Emotions have a way of displacing our rational thinking. And not always at times of distress.
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I don't want to get shot by some lunatic. If there's not contact, probably not going to do anything
I have frequently posted my more restrained, “cerebral” expressions under such contentious conditions:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
How to get the message out? I find threads about what to say to a driver futile, since these are brief, often emotion laden encounters, and often the cyclist makes a bad impression

I have in the past posted about giving “bicyclist curses,” and “bicyclist blessings”; about 5 blessings a day, and about 3 curses a week.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have those exact thoughts whenever I am passed, even when not tooclose by motorist who does not slow down or move over slightly, just as an indication that they notice me.

I always think those self-absorbed cagers are only restrained by the thought of scratching their cars, or the hassle of filing police reports.

My only satisfactory retribution is to give them my previously-described Bicyclist Curse. (I repeatedly jab my pointed right index finger in their direction, while shouting an accusatory, ”You, you, you…”). The possibility of metaphysical retribution is more satisfying than the middle finger.

I do also bestow Bicyclist Blessings on drivers who show even a modicum of respect, with a wave of the hand….
Old 02-09-19, 01:42 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
One late autumn day, on two totally different parts of a 10 mile commute, I caught two micro aggressions, both from teenage kids rolling down the window and blurting out one of the "f" words at me. Why? what does that accomplish? Did they just fail a test at high school?

The only response I can come up with is: "Share the Road."

In the event they did not take off an appendage in the process of cutting me off, I waive an arm in case they happen to glance at their rear-view mirror

Last edited by parkbrav; 02-09-19 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 10:53 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
"Bad drivers" as in dangerous traffic infractions, or zombie-driving, I don't mind registering my objection with them. Hopefully in a restrained manner. But for the bad drivers who shout out of their windows or do something ridiculous seemingly on purpose, the motto is: don't engage the crazies.
Old 02-12-19, 11:07 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
"Bad drivers" as in dangerous traffic infractions, or zombie-driving, I don't mind registering my objection with them. Hopefully in a restrained manner. But for the bad drivers who shout out of their windows or do something ridiculous seemingly on purpose, the motto is: don't engage the crazies.
hammy old chum, and I can't resist this, always was a smartarse, surely a helmet would give you enough confidence? I confront the crazies all the time, that is, the few I've met, and have found a helmet really useful, especially with a burly plod underneath..
Old 02-12-19, 12:24 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Evidently I was too subtle. You are in my ignore list and I have no intention of engaging with trolling.
Old 02-12-19, 02:17 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Just in case I failed to throw in my 2 cents:

I never confront a bad driver. That said...

Once every five years or so i MIGHT punch a car but the stoopidity has to be really severe and I have a good escape plan.
Old 02-13-19, 05:45 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Just in case I failed to throw in my 2 cents:

I never confront a bad driver. That said...

Once every five years or so i MIGHT punch a car but the stoopidity has to be really severe and I have a good escape plan.
Would that be for the bad driver running a red light or for being a nicetard stopping at the green for you to run your red?
Old 02-14-19, 10:19 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
One late autumn day, on two totally different parts of a 10 mile commute, I caught two micro aggressions, both from teenage kids rolling down the window and blurting out one of the "f" words at me. Why? what does that accomplish? Did they just fail a test at high school?
LOL... I often put my hand up to my ear and shake my head like I didn't hear them.
Old 02-15-19, 04:57 PM
Commuter19

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. I personally think it’s bad idea. I have had loads of crap of drivers telling me to use a stupid cycle path from a learner driver, purposely close calls and just crap saying your a wanker and middle finger.

The worst thing was a few months ago a car was partly turned I waited for it to go it never did it wasn’t indicating and then suddenly it just started to go forwards so I thought he was turning left but all of sudden he reversed backwards causing to hit the rear of my bike and I knocked his wing mirror in. The thing is he just sped off fast. No one got hurt as I managed to stay upright I don’t know how I just did. I tried to catch up to him but as he sped off faster I lost him at the roundabout. As no one got hurt I didn’t bother reporting this bexuse as far as I know. People are only supposed to stop if you fall off right or get hurt. The weird thing is he could of at least just apologized he obviously knew he was in wrong otherwise he wouldn’t of sped off also I didn’t catch his number plate ever since then I got a bike camera. I don’t bother confronting because it would make situations worse and put other road users and yourself at risk. I think of them as bullies as the road as I personally think their looking for a reaction as I’ve just ignored recent hate and bad drivers and nothings happend I just continue my way. They go off. If there was ever a time it continued If got to the point of where I feel threatened or a driver got out and was mad. I would try explaining but if that doesn’t work get the police involved. But this has never happens