Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

On Daniel Lloyd's Sufferfest 10 week plan

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 03:54 AM
Pankh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been following GCN on and off. For anyone who's unaware of it, one of the members of the staff is on a 10-week training plan (only 4 hours a week, 4 times a week). He admitted that he hasn't ridden much the last few years and barely rode for 1k miles last year. While I knew that Dan was a pro I didn't know much about his career. Today I looked it up and... WOW. A FTP of nearly 400W in his top years and averaging nearly 300W in a mountain TdF stage, helping Carlos Sastre. Let's go quickly over the fact that this kind of performance gets you place 160 in the overall.
Old 02-14-19, 07:03 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pankh
I've been following GCN on and off. For anyone who's unaware of it, one of the members of the staff is on a 10-week training plan (only 4 hours a week, 4 times a week). He admitted that he hasn't ridden much the last few years and barely rode for 1k miles last year. While I knew that Dan was a pro I didn't know much about his career. Today I looked it up and... WOW. A FTP of nearly 400W in his top years and averaging nearly 300W in a mountain TdF stage, helping Carlos Sastre. Let's go quickly over the fact that this kind of performance gets you place 160 in the overall.
We love GCN in our house. Maybe it’s because we’re relative newbies to cycling or it could just be that they’re just funny folks and are fun to watch. Between the GCN, GTN, and GMBN we’ve stopped watching “regular” TV and get to learn more and more about all things cycling and triathlon.

Dan is one of my favorites. Did you know he was on the test team for Cervélo?
Old 02-14-19, 07:42 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by luevelvet
Did you know he was on the test team for Cervélo?
Yeah, can't get that pic from my mind... Thanks...

What was Dan's latest FTP? It's amazing to me how fast he is regaining his lost fitness. Really goes to show how much the body remembers. He started at 250W and gained 20W in 4 weeks? I'm basically Dan's age but I am entirely sure my FTP has never been over 300W. Over a similar time using TrainerRoad Sweetspot Build I gained a whopping 6W...
Old 02-14-19, 10:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Dan had a good snarky rapport with Simon and Matt, making GCN videos fun to watch.

He admitted he was using an electric assist bike on some GCN videos the past year, which is a pretty good indication of how fit the other GCN presenters still are, despite being either retired or competing only occasionally (Emma).

He may think it's a challenge to regain fitness at age 38, but it'll be relatively easy compared with 48, 58 and so on.
Old 02-14-19, 11:15 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
...He may think it's a challenge to regain fitness at age 38, but it'll be relatively easy compared with 48, 58 and so on.
You ain't kidding!
Old 02-14-19, 11:17 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Any links to this 10-week sufferfest plan? I'd be interested to read up on it. No TV or cable here though so it would have to be internet based.
Old 02-14-19, 11:23 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts

DO THE PLAN WITH DAN

• If you haven't already, download The Sufferfest app for iOS, macOS or Windows and create your account. You'll need a subscription to do the workouts in the plan. It's free for 7 days so you can try it out first. Use coupon code DANPLAN30 when you create your subscription to get your first month FREE (offer good through January 10th).
  • You'll need to do the Full Frontal fitness test and get your 4DP as soon as you can. Dan starts the plan on Tuesday, the 8th of January and you'll most likely want to start on or around the same day to follow his routine closely.
  • Join the #DoThePlanWithDan Facebook group. You can chat with Dan, ask questions, share your progress, and commiserate.
  • Join the #DoThePlanWithDan Strava Club.
  • Use the hashtag #DoThePlanWithDan to share your progress on social media and let us know how you're getting on. Places to follow progress:
  • Stay tuned to the above social feeds (and on this page) for weekly videos with elite coaches Neal Henderson and Mac Cassin where we take a look at the science behind the Suffering and discuss strategies to nail your workouts and stay on track.

Old 02-15-19, 05:02 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Thanks, Isotope, for posting that information. Too bad there isn't a little more detail, but I guess that's where the fee comes into play.
Old 02-15-19, 05:10 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yeah, the hints are free. If you want the whole hog, you gotta subscribe (it seems.)

I've determined that I don't care about "training." I ride with power meters, and use them pretty much exclusively as electronic nannies so that I don't do too much in any given week. Aside from Rapha Festive time, by weekly load is so consistent (Relative Effort, in Strava terms, I think?) you'd think I planned it out that way.

Also, FTP tests-- of the 20-minute variety, not even talking that Full Frontal nonsense-- are really not fun, so I generally have no desire to do one. I'd rather go out and put in some miles.
Old 02-15-19, 05:31 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Yeah, the hints are free. If you want the whole hog, you gotta subscribe (it seems.)

I've determined that I don't care about "training." I ride with power meters, and use them pretty much exclusively as electronic nannies so that I don't do too much in any given week. Aside from Rapha Festive time, by weekly load is so consistent (Relative Effort, in Strava terms, I think?) you'd think I planned it out that way.

Also, FTP tests-- of the 20-minute variety, not even talking that Full Frontal nonsense-- are really not fun, so I generally have no desire to do one. I'd rather go out and put in some miles.
I hear ya. I know that structured training is the "optimum" way to do it, but I prefer some spontaneity and simply getting out and doing what I feel like on any given day.

I've also started wearing a heart rate monitor again so that I don't go above 75% of my Max. HR for the next few/several months.

Cycling and exercise are fun ... until it's not. I don't want to turn it into a job.
Old 02-18-19, 11:48 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pankh
ftp means nothing , he is a little crybaby and all he does is complain about his " training plan " give me a break !!!