Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Busch & Müller Luxos U Lumotec IQ2 Weird blinking problem

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Busch & Müller Luxos U Lumotec IQ2 Weird blinking problem

Old 06-18-17, 08:47 PM
profstack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sluggo
My Luxos recently developed the same problem after the bike was left out in an unexpected deluge. The light is three years old and out of warranty, so I guess I am out of luck.
If you are game, try disconnecting the handlebar button (wire cutters?) and using the buttons on back ot the light. That's what I was going to do until I found out that the light was still under warranty, being short of 2 years purchased. That could be just a WAG, but you've got nothing to lose anyway.

OR, take apart the handlebar button and see what's corrupt in there, if that is where the problem actually is.
Old 06-22-17, 07:45 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
I opened up the cover on the switch and let it dry out in my warm and dry garage over the weekend.

Everything works again, at least for now.

The problem with chopping off the switch is that I can no longer charge devices, which is one of the advantages of this light.
Old 06-25-17, 10:09 PM
profstack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sluggo
I opened up the cover on the switch and let it dry out in my warm and dry garage over the weekend.

Everything works again, at least for now.

The problem with chopping off the switch is that I can no longer charge devices, which is one of the advantages of this light.
My Luxos also worked fine after drying out, the first time. After getting deluged again, it never dried out enough before I took it in for repair. Heh, I wonder if they just used a hair dryer to get it "fixed".

I guess if we have to ride in the rain, fashion a waterproof cover for the handlebar button that will prevent water from getting in.
Old 07-11-17, 01:28 AM
darkstar173rd

Bikes: New Albion Privateer Custom

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B&M I believe has hear you it was the cap cover on the remote button once wet it basically was done the new deal is a plug-in with quick disconnect USB cable pics after testing in the rain. I'm $400 and change into the luxos U tech its getting ugly but in the USA peter white cycles will soften the blow. Wind to your back always
Old 07-16-17, 06:51 PM
profstack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkstar173rd
B&M I believe has heard you it was the cap cover on the remote button. Once wet, it basically was done. The new deal is a plug-in with quick disconnect USB cable. pics after testing in the rain. I'm $400 and change into the luxos U tech its getting ugly but in the USA peter white cycles will soften the blow. Wind to your back always
Thanks. I ordered from Germany the B&M rear dynamo light with the brake light and standlich functions. I believe it will be a better light that the original one from 2012, which has a light in the middle and not much else.
Old 07-17-17, 06:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I guess there is no hope for those of us with the original other than just to not use the button?
Old 07-23-17, 08:11 PM
profstack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I guess there is no hope for those of us with the original other than just to not use the button?
I believe that is correct, sadly.

The rear "brake" light arrived from Germany and works as advertised. Very cool, and brighter than the OEM dynamo rear TopLight.
Old 09-24-18, 12:08 AM
Tunco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, Google brought me here. I have the same problem as you guys. It started with an uncontrollable blinking. Now, the two upper LEDs of the headlamp are always on. However, the other functions are working properly: Switching it on activates the main light, switching it off deactivates it (except the 2 LEDs). Also the USB charging works. However, I would love to have this fixed, as I always have to cover the headlamp when wildcamping. Otherwise it would shine all night long. Also, it costs some valueable USB charging power.

However, what I already did, was to open the headlamp and look for signs of water/moisture. But it was all dry. From what I have read here and on other sites, I suspect the culprit is the handlebar remote switch. There may be moisture trapped in it. Did somebody made it to open this little thing?
Old 09-24-18, 05:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Welcome to the forum. Do you have the version of the light with the sealed connection to the remote switch?
Old 09-24-18, 04:37 PM
Tunco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do you have the version of the light with the sealed connection to the remote switch?
Yes, the new version. Hardwired.

Can somebody tell me how to open the handlebar remote switch? I see no screws.
Old 10-24-18, 05:24 PM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Older thread I know - My light just started the same thing - It has been damp lately, not down pour though.

Last edited by 83cannondale; 10-24-18 at 05:25 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-24-18, 08:27 PM
Tunco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it replaced by the vendor. Tried to repair it but didn't make it.
Old 10-25-18, 03:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by 83cannondale
Older thread I know - My light just started the same thing - It has been damp lately, not down pour though.
which version of the light? Is the cable hard mounted?
Old 10-25-18, 03:46 AM
darkstar173rd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunco
Got it replaced by the vendor. Tried to repair it but didn't make it.
3rd time not exactly the charm. I also have had two replacements three all total, fairly certain its a manufacture defect wrote directly to B&M in German haven't heard anything yet, may I suggest at the first hint of rain remove the whole remote button assembly and put in a handlebar bag or a plastic bag. I paid for the first one which had the original USB port built into the button lasted almost two years started having same problem as yours at the time work for Boeing Vertol in the wiring shop gave it to the electronic wizards it work for about a week until I rode to work in the rain. Paid for the second one with the new detachable USB port it lasted almost a year and booyaah....rode in the rain bang it's dead. Got the third one this past July 2018 rode from Kingsland, Ga to Lake City, FL (present home) rain quiet a bit took the whole remote at the first sign of rain and put it in my handlebar bag still working quiet nicely plan on returning to Vietnam and Gambia West Africa to do some touring in their raining season so....it's in the bag. Hope that helps you.
Old 10-25-18, 04:13 AM
darkstar173rd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Received mine in 2013 hardwire version and also the son dyno hub, still using the hub works fine. Pretty sure the "U" version of the Luxos was in Europe around 2011 or 2012 for sure. You know us American's were use to second's. Wind to your back gotta go.
Old 10-25-18, 01:01 PM
Tunco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkstar173rd
3rd time not exactly the charm. I also have had two replacements three all total, fairly certain its a manufacture defect wrote directly to B&M in German haven't heard anything yet, may I suggest at the first hint of rain remove the whole remote button assembly and put in a handlebar bag or a plastic bag. I paid for the first one which had the original USB port built into the button lasted almost two years started having same problem as yours at the time work for Boeing Vertol in the wiring shop gave it to the electronic wizards it work for about a week until I rode to work in the rain. Paid for the second one with the new detachable USB port it lasted almost a year and booyaah....rode in the rain bang it's dead. Got the third one this past July 2018 rode from Kingsland, Ga to Lake City, FL (present home) rain quiet a bit took the whole remote at the first sign of rain and put it in my handlebar bag still working quiet nicely plan on returning to Vietnam and Gambia West Africa to do some touring in their raining season so....it's in the bag. Hope that helps you.
Well, at least this means that the culprit is pretty sure the handlebar remote. Seems like it is not really waterproof and once water comes in, it persistently damages a capacitor or something in there. Unfortunately, there are not that many alternatives if you want usb charging. So my strategy for my new luxos u replacement will be to try to make the remote somehow more waterproof with plastic bag, wrap, glue or something.
Old 10-25-18, 02:58 PM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure for the diff - hard wired vs ???

My light does have 4 spade connectors coming from it. I'm guessing that's not "hard wired"

Any thoughts? I rode to work this morning and the light started out "off". I pressed the button and it went on, blinking. been blinking for several hours now. Actually, I wish that were a feature - nice blinking headlight during the day, headlight at night.

Oh, do you mean the USB is detachable? If so, mine is not.

Last edited by 83cannondale; 10-25-18 at 03:03 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 10-25-18, 03:05 PM
83cannondale

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So...
What's to be done for one that is blinking? Garbage?, disassemble to dry out? How is that done? Buy new switch?
Old 10-25-18, 03:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Didn't someone up-thread remove the usb cable and get the light to work?

on edit: looks like that was just a suggestion, but didn't read all the way back. Looks like heating the remote with a hair dryer is the first thing to try. Not sure what to do about the remote after that. If I press mine back into service I might just get rid of the remote, although I liked the switchable light levels

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-25-18 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 03:33 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I saw some additional information on this at another website:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...on/qob5ex7lrWg

The first entry dated 6/15/16 has a discussion of drying out the headlight unit with photos, but not the remote switch.
Old 01-17-19, 04:13 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Older thread and maybe not helpful. My Luxos U sort of died. It was out of warranty, so I opened it up. Didn't see much I felt comfortable messing with, but I hooked it up to a wheel and pressed the button that's on the headlight as the wheel spun. Found that I could actually turn the light on that way. Once it was on, I put the light back together and re-installed it. Now the light is always on, and the handlebar button neither lights up nor has any affect on the light. Sometimes I can cycle through some modes with the button on the light, but it's unreliable, and, unless the wheel is spinning, it's tricky to see when I've successfully put it in "on" mode. I just leave it on all the time, and that works fine for me. Plenty of wet riding since then, but no more trouble. It does have an issue mentioned above where the two LEDs in the top corners never turn off. The bike can sit for days and still emit faint light from those points, which is weird. I have not removed the now completely useless button. It just sits on my handlebars doing nothing, like that one lightswitch in every house that doesn't seem to control anything.

When I got it, the Luxos U seemed like a convenient way to get a good dynamo light and USB charging in one, relatively, economical package, but it hasn't quite worked out that way. The light was replaced once under warrantee, and stopped charging via USB shortly after the warrantee was up. I'm fortunate that I still have a working headlight out of the deal, but from here on out, it's separate devices for charging and lighting because the combo device isn't reliable, and there's always a chance, like some of the posters, that you'll end up with neither charging nor light. My plan is to get a stand-alone, dynamo-powered charging solution, and, when the Luxos U stops working entirely, replace it with a stand-alone dynamo light.
Old 01-17-19, 07:14 PM
Tunco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
I have not removed the now completely useless button. It just sits on my handlebars doing nothing, like that one lightswitch in every house that doesn't seem to control anything.
You may want to try to actually remove the handlebar remote button, because I think - as already mentioned above - that the culprit is actually the handlebar button. It could be possible that after removing the handlebar button that the headlight will work properly again, i.e. beeing able to be switched on/off again. Of course, no USB-charging will be possible, but at least the headlight works again properly. Keep us posted on that. If you try it, I would love to know the outcome.
Old 01-18-19, 08:02 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunco
You may want to try to actually remove the handlebar remote button, because I think - as already mentioned above - that the culprit is actually the handlebar button. It could be possible that after removing the handlebar button that the headlight will work properly again, i.e. beeing able to be switched on/off again. Of course, no USB-charging will be possible, but at least the headlight works again properly. Keep us posted on that. If you try it, I would love to know the outcome.
Right now I have a functioning headlight. As long as that remains the case, I'm not going to mess with it. The fact that the button on the headlight isn't 100% reliable is a minor inconvenience, and, in reality, it's possible that the button works fine. It's just that I can't press it while the bike is in motion, and it's hard to tell what, if anything, the button is doing when the bike is not in motion. So it's easier to leave it on. If I replace the light with something more reliable, I may be more inclined to tinker.
Old 05-09-19, 03:04 AM
siltsunrise

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word to the wise: don't buy the luxos! It's crap! I've had two of them, and my girlfriend and housemate had one each, and they have all been plagued with serious problems: Completely dying. Not turning off when bike is parked. USB charger failing. Remote cables and buttons failing/breaking. Water intrusion.

BUMM replaced my first dead one, although I didn't have a receipt any more. Kudos for that one. But on the next dead one they royally stonewalled me. I had bought it brand new from a seller on ebay and when it died after a couple months, they wouldn't accept the valid receipt because I wasn't the original buyer. So, I tracked the ebay seller down, sent the light back to him, and he had to take it to the shop for me. They were real a##holes about it; shop (bike24) and BUMM both.

My subsequent negative comments on amazon were removed and my ability to post comments there at all was forever blocked, thereafter. Don't know if BUMM or amazon pulled that stunt.

A much much much better light is the Edelux 2. Fantastic light. It's just about as wide and bright, much smaller, much tougher and way better built. A hella lot prettier too. The luxos is fecking ugly. The switch is magnetic, so no water intrusion will ever happen. And it's dead easy to switch with gloves on, unlike the luxos' ridiculous buttons.
Of course, it has no usb, but there are products for that (don't get one of BUMM's though - they're crap too, I've read). I got a Forumlader, far and away the best usb charger out there. Not cheap, but massively better than anything else. Read up on it. Made by a guy in germany at home.

BUMM is shameless keeping this garbage on the market at all, let alone at this price.
Old 05-09-19, 04:10 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by siltsunrise
Word to the wise: don't buy the luxos! It's crap! I've had two of them, and my girlfriend and housemate had one each, and they have all been plagued with serious problems: Completely dying. Not turning off when bike is parked. USB charger failing. Remote cables and buttons failing/breaking. Water intrusion.

BUMM replaced my first dead one, although I didn't have a receipt any more. Kudos for that one. But on the next dead one they royally stonewalled me. I had bought it brand new from a seller on ebay and when it died after a couple months, they wouldn't accept the valid receipt because I wasn't the original buyer. So, I tracked the ebay seller down, sent the light back to him, and he had to take it to the shop for me. They were real a##holes about it; shop (bike24) and BUMM both.

My subsequent negative comments on amazon were removed and my ability to post comments there at all was forever blocked, thereafter. Don't know if BUMM or amazon pulled that stunt.

A much much much better light is the Edelux 2. Fantastic light. It's just about as wide and bright, much smaller, much tougher and way better built. A hella lot prettier too. The luxos is fecking ugly. The switch is magnetic, so no water intrusion will ever happen. And it's dead easy to switch with gloves on, unlike the luxos' ridiculous buttons.
Of course, it has no usb, but there are products for that (don't get one of BUMM's though - they're crap too, I've read). I got a Forumlader, far and away the best usb charger out there. Not cheap, but massively better than anything else. Read up on it. Made by a guy in germany at home.

BUMM is shameless keeping this garbage on the market at all, let alone at this price.
The AXA lights are pretty good too, even the little Pico cheapies. They aren't particularly sealed, instead the circuitry is sprayed with some kind of coating.The version with the USB output is pretty useless though. Yeah, and the Forumslader rocks! I dunno if this is any help towards reclaiming your dead light but Jens During makes a new circuit board to run the Luxos off the 12V output of the FL. So you could maybe use the LED and replace the circuit board? IQ-X für Forumslader: Forumslader

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.