Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Headphones when riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Headphones when riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 07:23 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I am using sansa clip sport
+1, clipped it to a jersey pocket. Love it when others ask 'what is that thing?'
Old 10-07-18, 08:38 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
+1, clipped it to a jersey pocket. Love it when others ask 'what is that thing?'
No one ever ask...

Then again it's only on my jersey pocket when I am not in bibs, and bibs is usually what I wear on group rides.

I've tried slow rides and chatting, but it's hard to chat with people that can't hear you due to wind in their ears. So I just enjoy my music.
Old 10-08-18, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Is it not against the law in many countries to use headphones/earbuds whle cycling? If it isn't, it seems a stupidly serious error.
Unless there’s been an epidemic of headphone-wearing cyclists wreaking havoc and death that I’m blissfully unaware of, it seems like an uncharacteristically wise show of restraint on the part of legislatures that just might have better things to do than enact more nannying laws.
Old 10-08-18, 11:24 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
All the trivial drival bullspit asided; I currently have some model of Sol Republic headphones. I can't do silence.
Old 10-09-18, 02:45 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
With our lives constantly bombarded with video and audio messages, how about giving yourself a break? I stopped needing constant entertainment when I graduated from kindergarten. In a busy life where I have to listen to news, customers, suppliers, friends, family and children, and the fact that I am also a musician who plays music at least 2 hours every day, I need a little silence to maintain my sanity. To me the sound of the chain running around the chain rings, and the sound of tires humming on the road is the most relaxing music.
Old 10-09-18, 07:46 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
With our lives constantly bombarded with video and audio messages, how about giving yourself a break? ...
To me the sound of the chain running around the chain rings, and the sound of tires humming on the road is the most relaxing music.
To me, that sounds boring. I prefer to listen to an audio book while riding and give myself a break from being bombarded with traffic and/or bicycle noise.
Old 10-09-18, 08:40 AM
monicacandy99

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to choose wireless Bluetooth in-ear earbuds for riding. I was using Ytom TOP 3D Sky Moon Night Bluetooth 5.0 Headphone now. The Bluetooth 5.0 earbuds have a stable signal transmission and they can play for 6-8 hours with just one single charge. So i can enjoy music when i was riding. But if you worry about the safe, you can wear one earbud.
Old 10-09-18, 10:03 AM
scotton
noodly appendage

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I use Aftershokz Trekz Titanium. They sit in front of your ear rather over the ear using bone conduction/induction, so I can hear cars coming from behind as well as dog paws on asphalt. The sound quality is not as good as in-ear headphones, but they feel much safer to me compared to when I used to use regular ear buds. Battery lasts for 2-3 rides. It's supposed to be rain proof, but I usually put it in a baggie with my phone if it starts to rain. I don't need to be listening to anything while riding in the rain anyway.
Old 10-09-18, 10:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Sure, if you like silence or the sound of your bike, or if you need a break from all the bad news, take a break. If it's best for you, do it. We should all do what works for us. I like podcasts when I ride. That works for me. Sometimes I stop listening and I just take in the ambient sounds. That works for me, too. It's not as if it hasn't occurred to me. I make my choices consciously.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-09-18, 10:22 AM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With our lives constantly bombarded with video and audio messages, how about giving yourself a break? I stopped needing constant entertainment when I graduated from kindergarten. In a busy life where I have to listen to news, customers, suppliers, friends, family and children, and the fact that I am also a musician who plays music at least 2 hours every day, I need a little silence to maintain my sanity. To me the sound of the chain running around the chain rings, and the sound of tires humming on the road is the most relaxing music.
Do you also refrain from listening to your car radio? Or is a car radio fine but a bike ride should be silence?

And what honestly sounds better, wind roaring in your ears and loud mufflers and screeching brakes and car horns, or soothing sounds of your choice? And what about the smells, the car sounds emphasizes the traffic smells, soothing sounds distract from the smell of car exhaust.
Old 10-09-18, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
With our lives constantly bombarded with video and audio messages, how about giving yourself a break? I stopped needing constant entertainment when I graduated from kindergarten...To me the sound of the chain running around the chain rings, and the sound of tires humming on the road is the most relaxing music.
Congrats on your accomplishment. I was a kindergarten dropout. Unfortunately they didn’t take me seriously and I was chucked into first grade anyway, despite a clear lack of academic credentials.

As for giving yourself a break, I couldn’t agree more. That’s what walks in the countryside are for: when I can actually hear the birds and the bees and the occasional dogging in the pines. Bike rides? Not so much. When you’ve heard* a chain running around the rings a few hundred thousand times it kind of loses its ability to captivate for hours at a time.

* just how distinctive is it? Does your drivetrain require maintenance?
Old 10-09-18, 12:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
I stopped needing constant entertainment when I graduated from kindergarten. In a busy life where I have to listen to news, customers, suppliers, friends, family and children, and the fact that I am also a musician who plays music at least 2 hours every day, I need a little silence to maintain my sanity.
I must still need constant entertainment since I am on BF every day reading threads like these.

Serisouly...I hear you. (Pun intended.) Reminds me of a back and forth I had with the grandson of Gen. George S. Patton back in June during my 35th high school reunion. I told him about my bike trips. He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that I will go out on the road for two weeks solo. He said he'd be bored and then said "You must not like to be around people." I responded by telling him that I am around people all the time in my everyday life and that my trips are the times when I get away from constant stimulus and interaction.
Old 10-09-18, 03:02 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
Do you also refrain from listening to your car radio?
funny question! I have been recently, but FM radio seriously sucks. For a long time I had XM radio, then I had my self ripped Mp3 files. Then I had FM radio and FM is like murder to my ears. So I just turn it off. and well commercials suck, talk radio sucks, and yeah that FM thing Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss It's like going on a group ride with people that don't maintain their drivetrain.... my poor ears!
Old 10-10-18, 11:35 AM
oldgrowth45

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only when riding with my wife.
Old 02-04-19, 02:00 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Bought aftershockz last week, I love them.
Old 02-04-19, 02:17 PM
carlmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started riding, I needed headphones.
After a while, I didn't feel like I needed them. I focused all of my attention on the ride.
Part of it may be what the rest of our life is like. I am in a different season of life and so I have interest in using headphones again.
The idea of using 1 ear bud to listen to a podcast or an audible book could make a lot of sense. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-04-19, 04:42 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
I used to do it but stopped , it’’s safer to not have them in and honestly I think they subtract from the ride experience
Old 02-05-19, 02:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I've been trying various different headphones over the years. I made an interesting discovery recently. I was fine with headphones that allowed ambient sound in for obvious reasons. My recent pair is bluetooth earbuds with a yoke behind my neck. These seal in the ears better and block out sound. Now that I can get a louder sound, I am more comfortable using only one ear. I feel it's a good compromise between entertainment and safety, and it is safe enough for me. The previous earbuds were so leaky (which I thought was safe) that I had to have both in to hear the audio. I think with this new pair, I have improved both convenience and safety.

They are Mpow Jaws, and they're inexpensive, at $25. Another nice thing is that they don't pick up wind noise in the microphone, so if I'm on the phone, the other person can hear me just fine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-08-19, 10:21 AM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Baseball in one ear during the summer. Cheap-o buds because they don't need to sound good and occasionally get damaged.
It's not that it enhances my riding, like music might. I just don't want to miss the games. Or the ride.
Old 02-08-19, 11:47 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Some talk show host (doc thompson) was killed by an Amtrak. He was out for a daily jog. They found a pair of wireless ear buds close to where he lay. They didn't say they were his but it makes you wonder
Old 02-08-19, 12:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Some talk show host (doc thompson) was killed by an Amtrak. He was out for a daily jog. They found a pair of wireless ear buds close to where he lay. They didn't say they were his but it makes you wonder
It wasn't the headphones, it was the running on the track. No one should do that, even with unimpeded ears. I'm guessing the train didn't jump the track to hit him.

Old 02-08-19, 12:47 PM
selenarichard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I know this is a controversial topic and I'm not intending to open up whether riding is safe or not while listening to music. Rather, I'm opening a topic on what headphones folks do use if you listen to music.

Back in the day when the Sony Walkman first emerged in 1979 (I still have my original Walkman), I started cycling and cross-country skiing with my Walkman and headphones. I loved it but found that cycling with them just was a little too dangerous because I couldn't hear traffic well. I rode for years not listening to music.

That was up until about 6 months ago when I bought a pair of AfterShoks headphones. It changed everything for me. I can listen to music, provided it is not blaring in my ears, and can still hear traffic, dogs barking and people talking.

I loved the wired ones so much that I bought a pair of the wireless AfterShoks. I really like them!

For folks who listen to music, what headphones do you use?
I think listening to music while riding is not a big problem If you keep your focus on riding.
Old 02-08-19, 01:01 PM
Piperflyer

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I use Bose soundsport. Completely wireless they stay in really well rather cycling running or at work. Use them all the time. Good clarity I mean it’s Bose!

Now from my regular apple headphones (ones you plug in) I. An talk on that riding 15mphish and they don’t hear wind noise. On the Bose, they hear the wind I assume since the speakers are out in your ear catching it all. That’s the only downside to them. But when I’m riding I usually just listen to music if I have to take a call I slow down to 10-12mph. You can also just put the right one in leaving your left open to hear outside world or just keep the volume down.

They fit good but arent “sound proof” so you still do hear outside world anyways. At work I can have them in and hear music fine as well as carry a convo with other people. Wearing a beanie no one even notices they are on
Old 02-08-19, 01:02 PM
Piperflyer

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Piperflyer
I use Bose soundsport. Completely wireless they stay in really well rather cycling running or at work. Use them all the time. Good clarity I mean it’s Bose!

Now from my regular apple headphones (ones you plug in) I. An talk on that riding 15mphish and they don’t hear wind noise. On the Bose, they hear the wind I assume since the speakers are out in your ear catching it all. That’s the only downside to them. But when I’m riding I usually just listen to music if I have to take a call I slow down to 10-12mph. You can also just put the right one in leaving your left open to hear outside world or just keep the volume down.

They fit good but arent “sound proof” so you still do hear outside world anyways. At work I can have them in and hear music fine as well as carry a convo with other people. Wearing a beanie no one even notices they are on

Old 02-08-19, 05:27 PM
Bicycle2Work

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I use the old basic apple wired earphones. I'd like to get a new pair of something else as they make my ears hurt if they're in too long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.