Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2018 Randonnees

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 03:23 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
First year of trying to ride much of the Detroit Randonneurs schedule. I don't what to expect or what I'm physically capable of.
Heck, even my choice of a bike has been difficult (low racer recumbent, speedy aluminum/carbon road bike, or old steel road bike with large 38mm tires). I'll try a few rides with each to determine what is my best long distance bike.
I'd like to at least do a 300k, though I wonder what a 400 would be like.
Old 04-15-18, 06:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I am beat. It was definitely one of those rides where you wonder, "what was I thinking?"
I have thought that if I don't hate myself for riding at some point on a randonnee that I would declare success and quit randonneuring. I think it might have happened once on a 200k. But I usually have a low point sometime during a long ride.
Old 04-15-18, 06:59 PM
iTrod

Bikes: 2018 Litespeed Cherohala SE; 2011 Giant Defy Advanced 1; 2012 Catrike Expedition; 2016 Co-Motion Americano Rohloff, 2018 Giant XTC

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Just registered for the DC Randonneurs BRB 1200k. I'll probably register for the Mac 'n' Cheese 1200k when that opens up
Remind me again why we signed up for TWO 1200 K's this year.
Old 04-15-18, 07:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think it's obvious that something in our lives has gone very, very wrong. Or as someone in a car said to me on a snowy 200k, "you guys must really hate your home life"

And you were supposed to post your ride report.

Last edited by unterhausen; 04-15-18 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 08:26 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Pennsylvania Randonneurs 300k was yesterday.

Spring had been just around the corner for a month. Just last weekend we were out riding in sub-freezing temperatures. Thursday morning was chilly as usual. By Thursday afternoon Spring was actually here.
I did my first 300k of the year yesterday too, but up in MA (this was the Westfield Spring 300k) it wasn't fully spring. Or, at least, it was only fully spring for the fast pack who finished before nightfall; a cold front rolled in just as dusk also dropped the temperature, and so temperatures ranged from a high of 81 to a low of 36 degrees (according to my garmin, but the high point was riding, not sitting in the sun by a control, so I think it's reasonably accurate). At least the predicted rain coming in with that front held off; I carried a rain jacket the entire day that I didn't use, but was still glad I did.

Pretty sure that's the largest temperature swing I've ever experienced on a bike; hard to pack for without overpacking, but except for confirming that my "winter" shoes aren't enough even in dry mid-thirties weather if it's that cold for long enough, I had everything I needed.
Old 04-15-18, 08:57 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I think it's obvious that something in our lives has gone very, very wrong. Or as someone in a car said to me on a snowy 200k, "you guys must really hate your home life"

lol tell me about it! I recently discovered my local Audax club has an award called Randonneur 3500, I did the math, and decided that I could still get this if I did and completed *all* the remaining brevets this year.

The 200k this coming Sunday is going to be lots of "fun". Hilly, hilly, hilly. There are a couple of short but steep segments that I have ridden before, where we were down to grinding low cadence at less than 10km/h speeds. Yep, lots of fun indeed.
Old 04-17-18, 10:24 AM
serhiypopoff
randonneur from Ukraine

Bikes: Colnago C50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1000+ miles for only 5 days and 23 hours. A Cycling Unlimited Ukraine project is about an experience how to ride a bike 365 days/12 months/7 days week/24 hours. A first Stage was a randonne Uzhhorod-Kyiv-Uzhhorod for 1772 km. You can rich a complete report directly at Peloton-Club ? ???? serhiypopoff-?. "Ride a lot" - Eddy Merckx
Old 04-18-18, 07:25 PM
iTrod

Bikes: 2018 Litespeed Cherohala SE; 2011 Giant Defy Advanced 1; 2012 Catrike Expedition; 2016 Co-Motion Americano Rohloff, 2018 Giant XTC

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

And you were supposed to post your ride report.
Between the temperature swing from 46 to 95 over the course of the ride and a bad bonk in the middle third, I have no recollection of the 300 I rode last Saturday. Looks like we should have good weather for the flèche however, captain. I'll try to take plenty of pictures to document the epic event. Try not to bring any exploding tyres this time please.
Old 04-19-18, 11:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Good, good, randonnesia has set in. This year, I am using tires made by a reputable company, not Trek.
Old 04-21-18, 01:13 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Audax Malaysia BRM300 -- rolling, rolling, and rolling

Attachment 604571
CP1: 76.8km | CP2: 160.2km | CP3: 245.8km

But I also spent the day going through video footage I took with my Sony action cam and made a YouTube video of the ride!

I really enjoyed that video, thanks! What a great first person view of some place I know nothing of
Old 04-22-18, 09:23 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Audax Malaysia BRM200

Audax Malaysia BRM200

brm200_apr2018_small.jpg

The route was relatively hilly with a couple of steep segments to watch out for. It had been raining with heavy thunderstorms the whole week, and the weather forecast predicted more of the same, but instead the sun was at full strength with nary a dark cloud in the sky. This made the afternoon efforts, especially those on rolling roads with little cover from the sun, feel a lot more tougher than normal. Hot sun aside, the morning was pleasant enough. Nice and cool, plus added bonus mist too at certain places especially on the (mostly) quiet countryside roads. We did enter a couple of towns, but except for a few areas traffic was light.

I crashed once though due to a bit of stupidity on my part. We stopped to regroup at one point close to the first checkpoint so I rolled off the road and waited by the side. When it was time to roll again, I continued to ride on the side, overestimated my speed and underestimated the jump I would need to get back up onto the tar road and fell. Fortunately just a brusied palm and a tiny bit of gash on the leg, the bike was fine too so just a bruised ego, lol.

Then second time nearly got taken out by a pair of goats which I now christen them Attack Goats. Stay away from Attack Goats. They run onto road and try to take you out, lol.

We started at 5:00 and finished 16:26, well within the standard 13.5-hour cutoff time for 200km brevets. With this I have two 200k's and one 300k done. Next month is another 300k, which hopefully would be sufficient training for the 600k after that.

Here's a video that I made from the event: https://tinyurl.com/y8r5udwg

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I really enjoyed that video, thanks! What a great first person view of some place I know nothing of
Thanks for watching!
Old 04-24-18, 01:52 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been looking up on how to convert TCX files to routes on RWGPS https://ridewithgps.com/help/ride-into-a-route, turns out that in order to maintain cue sheets within RWGPS itself I'll need to manually trace the route with the route planner. Guess that's more work for me to do, but at least I'll be able to get a proper route done in RWGPS eventually.
RWGPS will always (?) automatically generate a cue sheet when a route is developed via "route planning." I'm not sure about then when someone downloads to RWGPS something that they have ridden.

The automated computer generated cue sheets are much better these days than they were 7 or 8 years ago; however, I would never trust one of those auto-generated cue sheets as I have seen too many ... stupidities.

On occasion, rather than attempt to fix the stupidities, I have been known to delete the auto-generated cue sheet on RWGPS -- I recall at least a couple times that I did that for maps that were created specifically for certain Raleigh Region Brevets.

To create a cue sheet, draw the map via "route planning," then manually create the cue sheet using the mile markers at the turns that you can get from hovering over the turn on the map or perhaps from the auto-generated cue sheet. The latter is possibly quicker, but ... there are sometimes issues.

I know one RBA that "route plans" his routes, then downloads the auto-generated cue sheet, and then modifies that into the format that he likes. Occasionally there are still stupidities or near-stupidities.

Summary: Use those auto-generated cue sheets with caution.
Old 04-24-18, 02:01 AM
skiffrun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

... do you think I could sell my registration to someone on the waiting list?

Sorry, wrong forum, that was a rhetorical question. I should pose it to the organizers.
I suggest you don't even mention the above to Tony Goodnight, RBA / organizer of the Taste of Carolina 1200's and Carolina Spring 1200's.
Old 04-24-18, 02:36 AM
skiffrun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have thought that if I don't hate myself for riding at some point on a randonnee that I would declare success and quit randonneuring. I think it might have happened once on a 200k. But I usually have a low point sometime during a long ride.
I think I've responded to the above by "unterhausen" on some other thread this way previously: I have never hated myself on a rando ride, but I have HATED cycling, rando, my bike -- my first 300 in 2010 was THE EXPERIENCE that defined me as a randonneur (perhaps augmented by later rides, but I can't recall).

Originally Posted by iTrod
Remind me again why we signed up for TWO 1200 K's this year.
You probably decided to go for one of those two-in-one-year RUSA awards.

I think it's obvious that something in our lives has gone very, very wrong.
Hmmn, consider RUSA #64, who is rapidly closing in on completing a 1200 sixty times.

=================================================================
Okay, I never type a randonnee report on this thread, but I'm making an exception:

Not in shape for a 300. I hadn't done a 200 since late November, on a very flat course, and had a lot of unwanted pause-time the second half of the ride waiting, waiting, waiting for an acquaintance whose pedaling style can be described as "pedal-pedal-pedal -gliiiiiiide." Of course he kept detaching himself from the other two of us because we pedaled constantly taking advantage of the honking tailwind. So much waiting that we staged an intervention at the penultimate control: use one easier cog and pedal ALL THE TIME. He mostly did that the last 14 miles of the ride (but I've heard that he has returned to his gliiiiiiiide pattern). Anyway, no training effect, or not much from that 200 at the time, and certainly none still in the legs in mid-April.

Not in shape for a 300. If you can figure out who I am, and that shouldn't be all that hard, I've figured out who several people on this forum are just from their posts -- if you can figure out who I am, and look up my results for 2018 on the RUSA website, you'll see a few 100+ km rides, and there has only been one non-rando ride so-far year. In other words, I am not in shape for a 300.

I did the 300 worker's pre-ride on Sunday. Super soft-pedaling. Climbing, got a lower gear, use it. Climbing, sit down and gear down. 4.4 to 6.5 mph climbing many, many times on climbs that I have done at 6 - 10 mph. Intended to minimize time at controls, but in the event, I remained un-hurried at controls, but did not dally.

Result? Instead of a 16 hour when in-shape solo 300, eighteen hours and some change. Never for a moment hated the ride. Never for a moment thought I would fail to complete the ride.

Experience helps.
Absolute determination helps.

Oh, and I rode 20+ miles from home to the ride start. The morning commute was enjoyable.
And rode 20- miles from the finish to home afterward. The "evening" commute was ... done with determination.
(I had to detour around utility crew repairing a downed power-line on the morning commute.)

The RBA's wife has explained to him that he WILL BE attending her high school reunion on Sunday.
So, I'm hosting.

One additional volunteer: RUSA #1609.
You can look him up, and if you've been a RUSA member for a few years, you ought to recognize the name.

RWGPS map of the brevet route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19456880

Last edited by skiffrun; 04-24-18 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-24-18, 06:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan and I rode our 300K on the long weekend in March (March 10) ... I think I did a ride report somewhere, but I'd have to dig it out. Nevertheless the ride went well and has now been filed away into the "good memories" category. I'm so glad we had that ride.

At this point, I have no idea whether we'll do another randonnee together again. Rowan had a serious workplace accident on March 22.

This is Rowan's thread ...
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...341-rowan.html
Old 05-02-18, 08:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Machka, best wishes for Rowan's recovery and eventual return to long distance riding.

My worst 2 week schedule went off okay, I finished the fleche a week ago and 400k Saturday. Best time on the 400k in a long time, 22:20. First year of randonneuring I did 20:20, so still have some effort to get back to that point. I figure a lot of that is weighing 190 instead of 170 pounds. I'm dieting, so hopefully that will help. I stayed with some reasonably fast people for the first part of the ride. A long hill at 130 miles ate my lunch, but then I recovered strong. It probably would have been better if there were any bathrooms on route somewhere during the last 90 miles, because that contributed to gastric distress that made eating difficult.

We are going to take a weekend off and go to New York for some Broadway plays. Then the next weekend will be the 600k and 2 weeks from that will be the B2B 1200k
Old 05-02-18, 08:29 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Matcha,
hoping for the best with Rowan, and for you while you go through this with him. Stay strong but lean on others when you have to.
Old 05-07-18, 06:17 PM
brockd15 

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Over the weekend I did the Antelope Lake 600k put on by the Davis Bike Club. It was my first brevet after a multi-year break and it went as well as I could have hoped. I met and rode with a lot of great people and the staffed controls were the best I've seen. There were ~45 riders starting and we made quick work of the 50 miles to the first control, then splintered a bit after that. The first ~80 miles are almost dead flat, then it's a mostly-gradual incline to the turn around point at 300k. Amazing, clear skies in the dark and scenery in the light made the return trip a little easier on tired legs. We had a headwind for those flat 80 miles on the way back in. Luckily, it was mostly mild and we had a group of seven to keep the train moving all the way home.

All in all, great ride, great people, great experience.....and I'm glad it's over.
Old 05-08-18, 09:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

monitoring the weather for this weekend's 600k in Virginia with the DC randonneurs. Looks like it might get up in the danger zone for me on cramping, supposed to hit 84.
Old 05-10-18, 06:41 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Amidst the post-election political drama that's currently going on, I'm preparing for another 300K up north in my hometown this weekend. Weather seems to be consistently on the hot side (expecting to top at 32-34 Celcius, but with a "feels like" rating closer to 37-40) so I'm gearing up with hot weather gear (110+ spf sunblock, lightweight jersey, arm screens, etc) and really, really, really hoping for the best.

This particular 300K feels jinxed in some way, hence me really hoping all the bad luck ends here and all goes well on the actual day. Originally slated one week later, then moved earlier to avoid clashing with the Muslim fasting month, but in doing so putting it nearly right after the country's general election. A local randonneur who signed up for this event died from a cardiac arrest during a training ride so this event has been turned into a memorial ride for the guy. And on top of that, I got sick last Sunday and am only now recovering, so I've had no training since that time and will be riding in less-than-tip-top condition. Wow, I really can't think of any positive event/memory/thought to associate with this event.

Now if only the local election drama gets done quickly so we don't have to worry about politics during the ride, would be a good start......

Edit: Things seem to be moving forward, no more politics, YAYY!!

Last edited by atwl77; 05-10-18 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-11-18, 07:58 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
What do you do, in short term preparation for a long ride? Do you adjust your sleep schedule, or your diet, or anything?

I ask because I'm planning to begin a 1200k randonnee nine days after finishing a 600k randonnee. It will be my first 1200k, and my second 600k; last year's 600k, though I finished, was not easy.

It's been a busy randonneuring schedule here! Here's an overview of my Saturdays:

March 24 PA Randonneurs 200k
March 31 free
April 7 DC Randonneurs fleche (395k)
April 14 PA Randonneurs 300k
April 21 PA Randonneurs fleche (365k)
April 28 free
May 5 PA Randonneurs 400k
May 12 free
May 19 PA Randonneurs 600k (day 1 of 2)
May 26 free
June 2 DC Randonneurs 1200k (day 3 of 4)

All my randonneuring events so far have gone well. I've spent my two "free" weekends helping my wife in the garden (hard work, but pretty different from long distance cyclling... and obviously very important, since I'm away all the other weekends). Now I'm about to have another free weekend, in which I'll be doing a little travelling, and no cycling.

On weekdays I go to work, which means I ride about 13 miles, broken up into two 5.5 mile rides and two of 1 mile rides.

So here's my question: from a 'recovery' point of view, to be prepared for the DC 1200 as well as possible, what's the best way to spend the nine days between the PA 600k and the DC 1200k? I'll be going to work at least five or six of those days, but I can ride slow if that's the best thing to do. What do you do, in short term preparation for a long ride? Do you adjust your sleep schedule, or your diet, or anything?

... no more politics, YAYY!!
Well, I think you might be the only person on this subforum who's posting from Malaysia, so you're not likely to get into a heated argument about it... so I would't worry about it. Anyway, as randonneurs we talk about the weather as one of the things we have to deal with, not like we can do anything about it... not that different from politics, really.
Old 05-11-18, 08:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't change anything. Just get more rest. I recommend easy rides of reasonably short duration. Just take it easy on your commute. There is barely any time to recover from a training effect. If anything, I feel faster if I skip riding for a couple of days after a long ride. But easy rides are probably better than that. Just make sure they are truly easy.

The dogs have been waking me in the middle of the night, and one of them is sick, so I am forced to get up. Certainly helped me move my clock around.
Old 05-11-18, 05:15 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I've got a pretty intense June lined up too, starts of with a Devil's Week on the first week, so an entire series in a week. Then I have 2 weeks before I fly out west to take a crack at the cascades 1200. I plan to avoid the bike for a few days after the devil's week and then sneak in a few recreational and social rides... probably not going to do anything intense or long distance in the two weeks between. The devil's week is as hilly as it gets in Ontario so hopefully I recover enough to handle the big mountains.
Old 05-13-18, 09:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
This barely rates, but I rode my first 110k populaire yesterday. Since PBP 2015, I've ridden my bike plenty but haven't done any long rides, so I'm easing my way back in. Given how spent I was at the end, it's clear that I need to relearn some things about nutrition and pacing. But it was with a small group of good folks, so I enjoyed it.
Old 05-14-18, 03:33 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Audax Malaysia BRM300

Audax Malaysia BRM300

Last saturday, I participated in my second Audax BRM300. Recce reports from randonneurs two weeks ago reported some steep inclines, followed by rolling roads under the hot sun, so I geared up for hot weather riding: lightweight jersey, armscreens, SPF120 sunblock, plenty of water.

We started at 4:00 in the morning, dark but cool and very light traffic. Very pleasant ride through country roads, though my stomach didn't agree with something I had and I was a bit miserable for the first 50km. Found a petrol station to relieve myself but thanks to the poor facilities that my country is infamous for, I had to quickly learn the art of holding up my jersey with one hand (to avoid touching any wet and/or dirty floor/wall) while cleaning up with the other. Anti-bacterial baby wipes (which I brought in case I needed to fix or handle anything chain-related) saved the day!!!

The next 50km featured some steep climbs with very "helpful" street signage warning us of 10% grades several times before we reached the first checkpoint at approx 103.4km for rest and a quick meal. Unfortunately only one store was open and was low on food, so I didn't get much -- just some plain rice with a piece of chicken and some cucumbers. There was some spicy stuff but I avoided that considering my stomach had been complaining earlier.

The sun was out and in its full glory for the next 100km, featuring steep rolling sections and very little shelter. My stomach began acting up again and I had to make another petrol station stop, this time with proper clothes hooks on the doors! Except I then realised, my jersey doesn't have any loop behind the collar for hanging anyway, so back to the ol' hand-holding technique I just mastered this morning.

Then back into the heat -- simply quoting numbers is probably not enough: some members of my group had the idea of pouring blocks of ice down their jerseys for cooling. THAT'S how hot it was. It was an exhausting slog towards the second checkpoint at approx 187.8km. Immediately ordered a local cold, shaved ice delicacy called cendol right after stamping my brevet card.

The remaining 100+ km was mostly flat with a couple of bumps along the way. Mostly countryside scenery except for a few towns where we stopped for an early dinner at one of them, and also some heavy traffic to watch out for. I was still feeling waayyy lethargic, at least until the sun was partially down and the temperature cooled down and I felt alive again. So much more effective than any energy gel, EPO, Salbutamol or whatever!

With renewed energy I comfortably made it to the finishing point with my whole group intact at approx 22:13.

Boring video of the ride to bore you with: https://tinyurl.com/y76fkndf

On a side note, I had decided to bring my carbon Fuji Transonic instead of the usual Marechal Soul alloy bike for this ride for two reasons. Firstly because the Marechal's frame could only take 1 water bottle and, although I usually just carry the second one in my jersey pocket, but considering the weather conditions I did not want to put extra weight behind me for this ride. Also I wanted to test the fit for this bike on longer distances (yes I know, bad call, but I decided to take the risk because I wanted to decide early which bike I would bring for next month's 600K). I haven't had a professional fit with this Fuji before, and I knew I had some issues with hand pressure on this bike. I had adjusted the saddle back 5mm and lowered the seatpost 5mm to compensate for this last week and brief test rides felt better, but it looks like some more work needs to be done on this bike as the ride still left me with some pain in my hands, and a sore neck.

This was also the ride where I did not consume much on the bike itself. I brought along my usual protein bars but due to stomach problems I only ate 1 bar in the morning. I also brought 3 energy gels but did not have to use them. I had plenty of drink, from my usual N8 electrolyte drink, to Coke, Gatorade, orange juice and more at various stops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.