Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 racing stories

Old 01-07-18, 11:15 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
2018 racing stories

Did you win or lose?

Either way, tell us the story.

my race videos
Old 01-07-18, 11:32 PM
mattm
**** that

I'll start.

Did the Early Bird training crit in Fremont today; rode over with about seven guys from the team - best turnout in a while! It's a small event, so only 20 total.

Since the race was so small and our team was so big, we decided to split up in half and race against each other; black vs blue (two different kit colors).
@Ygduf & @aaronmcd were there in blue. I was in black.

I'm happy to report I executed the first attack of 2018; went pretty much from the gun. It didn't last long though. Funny how you forget just how hard racing actually is, after a "winter" of group rides and solo training rides.

I was in a few failed moves, one with @Ygduf but we both felt like crap so it didn't last but one or two laps.
@Ygduf had the break of the day tho; solo for three or four laps (1-mile laps, mind you), but was reeled in by the pack and his buddy who came along with us. I might've chased a little too, but hey were weren't on the same team today!

In the final lap he said "I'm going from the first corner" which I thought meant he was helping with he leadout, so I said "no, too early." It was indeed too early and he blew up shortly after. Then he tells me "no I said NOT to follow my attack!" Oh, lol; then it made sense.. I should have waited.

I was leading out a sprinter on my team. Ended up on the front way earlier than I wanted to, but did just over a minute of going hard, and eventually ramping it up (to only about 32 mph, I'm weak). My sprinter won, so it all worked out!

Can't believe race season is here, more or less. Seems like it just ended a month ago.

my race videos
Old 01-08-18, 12:29 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Awesome story, hoping to hear some more with one of you 3 on the podium.
Old 01-08-18, 12:56 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was otf for 13.5 minutes and the race ended 4 minutes after I was swallowed up. I was working for my sprinter for the duration of my break, sparing him any need to work at all, while giving myself a (exceedingly slim) chance at glory. Same, again, when trying to flush out anyone who wanted to try early last-lap shenanigans, by using the little bit I had left in Matt's mentioned too-early move.

My guy got 2nd, but the black vs. blue split of the teams was not at all fair. I got stuck with our team benefactor and @aaronmcd and his hair. While I appreciate his need for a drogue chute to help keep him upright, does not make for a speedy racer.

The good news is that I did not **** myself (def non-zero fear on this point) on the bike and my 4-day stomach bug ended just in time. I have lost like 8lbs over those days, but managed to stuff in at least like ~1500 kcal today, though eating anything still makes me quite queasy for a time. I'm hopeful to recover after another 15 lbs and some climbing PRs.
Old 01-08-18, 08:01 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I was worried about fitness but turns out it was better than I expected, after I sat in for the first 20 minutes feeling it out.

Chased some black jerseys here and there, then sat near the front playing chase-disruption/bridge-covering when Fudgy was off the front. Then when he was caught I figured I'd spend my remaining matches covering the last few attempts to get away. That was it for me, spent the rest of my tank just holding my midpack position to the line.
Old 01-08-18, 08:25 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I am going to have live vicariously through these race reports for the next 4 months.

Cant wait to line up again
Old 01-08-18, 09:15 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
I am going to have live vicariously through these race reports for the next 4 months.

Cant wait to line up again
Same, man. And I've only got 6 weeks :/
Old 01-08-18, 09:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,571 Posts
Not racin' till Valley. There's Roger Millikan which is a cool course, but there are crashes in turn 3 in EVERY field EVERY year, so I I've decided to stop doing that. Plus, one year someone took my wheels from the wheelpit - dafuq, man.

Not into drivin' up to LA for a CBR until I can race twice. Ontario is cool because I can race three times if I want!!! But the first one is Sunday and I'll be at training camp.
Old 01-28-18, 12:09 AM
mattm
**** that

Today made for some good racing stories.

The first Norcal race of 2018, Cal Aggie crit, was today. Always a big field, 70-80+, always fun to see everyone back after a (short) "winter" - and always pretty sketchy.

Short version of the story was we came in with a plan - a few guys to go for the break, a few guys to sprint if it came down to that. Plan succeeded on both fronts!

One of our guys won from the break. A legit break, with some of the strongest dudes in the race in it. He dropped them all and solo'd the last 3 laps!

Then a teammate led me out for the field sprint (for 7th), we took it easily. My GoPro pooped out so I didn't capture any video, but it would've been great, including some gutter-surfing to move up in the straight before the final turn.

Great to win with teamwork like that, first of many I hope.

my race videos
Old 01-28-18, 08:03 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Nice!!! Itching to race. Still 3 months to go. Jealous of you guys. Sounds like the fitness is already there. Solid work.
Old 01-28-18, 10:32 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Same race as @mattm ... did the 35+ before hand as well.

Fitness is decent and our team had good numbers for the 35+. I sucked and missed the winning move. Rider rolled off solo and I should have jumped across. Just a total brain fart on my part. Team lined up well to win the field sprint for 2nd.

P12 race had a solid turnout even with 2 or 3 of the other big P12 teams missing. Active race with quite a bit of surging and more wind than the 35+ race. Snuck into a short lived move for about a lap. We had an ok gap and rotation set, but then one rider kept attacking it and sitting up. Oh well. Settled back into the group to hide. Chatted with @Ygduf , pondered who had better hair between @aaronmcd and the Clif Bar guys, and rolled in with the field for something-th place.

Wasn't feeling excited about racing while driving down, but ended up enjoying the day.
Old 01-28-18, 10:52 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Nice!!! Itching to race. Still 3 months to go. Jealous of you guys. Sounds like the fitness is already there. Solid work.
I remember the feeling (from Seattle) - having racing start in March or so was always torture!!

I was surprised at how good I felt in the race, after being off the bike for almost two weeks straight! Watching the CTL plummet from 85 or so down to 65 made me feel like I should downgrade to cat 5.. but I think it was mostly mental. I actually put in some good base mileage leading up to that so the crash wasn't the end of the world after all, just a bump in the road.

my race videos
Old 01-28-18, 11:41 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Awesome start to the season @mattm!
Old 01-28-18, 11:05 PM
aaronmcd

I did the same race as Matt and Hack. I know most guys aren't fit yet, but neither was I so it was an experiment. We got a couple guys in the early break that stuck, so after 25 minutes or so when I knew I wasn't gonna blow up I went to patrol the front covering for the rest of the race.

About 3 laps to go the other big team gathers within earshot and discusses waiting until the final lap to string it out, so of course I go with my only move and sneak attack when no one wants to chase. Power was the best its been in months but still quite low, but at least it got the other team to line it up early. They were breathing down my neck at the bell and came by shortly after, but it turns out they didn't have much gas left and couldn't pick it up fast enough after that, allowing Matt to get the top remaining spot.
Old 01-29-18, 10:15 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I did the same race as Matt and Hack. I know most guys aren't fit yet, but neither was I so it was an experiment. We got a couple guys in the early break that stuck, so after 25 minutes or so when I knew I wasn't gonna blow up I went to patrol the front covering for the rest of the race.

About 3 laps to go the other big team gathers within earshot and discusses waiting until the final lap to string it out, so of course I go with my only move and sneak attack when no one wants to chase. Power was the best its been in months but still quite low, but at least it got the other team to line it up early. They were breathing down my neck at the bell and came by shortly after, but it turns out they didn't have much gas left and couldn't pick it up fast enough after that, allowing Matt to get the top remaining spot.
I was behind you, planning to do the same thing but when you took off I didn't have to. It was a good move that benefited the team.
Old 01-29-18, 12:49 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by ntnyln
Awesome start to the season @mattm!
Thanks!

Did the Early Bird crit yesterday. Rode 30 miles to it, then did it, then rode home.

The 1/2/3 field is a mix of unfit 3's, semi-fit 2's, some seemingly-fit guys that I've never seen before, then me, a legit cat 1, and a neo-pro on Axeon.

I attacked a lot, if only to make the race hard on myself for training purposes. Legit Cat 1 of course attacked a good deal as well, and we were in a few moves together but they fell apart.

At one point towards the end, Legit Cat 1, a tiny junior that is strong but stupid, and I were in a break that probably could have stuck. Legit Cat 1 & I independently decided we would gift the kid the win if we stuck the break, but he kept surging and riding away from us, even though we were both yelling at him to keep it calm.. Once we had that gap we didn't need to go 30 mph, just hold 25+ and we'd be fine. We would've made that's kid's day (year?) but no, he had to screw it up!

The Axeon kid was in a few moves but seemed to be focused on screwing over the jr kid for whatever reason, so was annoying to be in breaks with.

It came down to a reduced field sprint but my legs were cooked. Legit Cat 1 & Axeon kid battled it out and the Axeon kid won.

The race was way harder than the real crit on Saturday! Training races are funny like that.

my race videos
Old 01-30-18, 03:57 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
It's early but it's looking like I might be able to maintain the spring races.

First one - date secured and verbally committed to. I still have to officially permit it at USA Cycling and write the $500 check to reserve the race track ($3500 due day of race).

Second one - the city's app is out. That's a good thing. They usually don't put it out until about 2 weeks before the race and then they need 4 weeks to review the app before they even say OK to the race....politics. I usually just permit it and cross my fingers.

Third one - the police chief and the village clerk that were amazing to work with have both retired in the same year. We are back to running with new people and I am sure a new village administrator. I have a feeling we will be back in front of the village council. *sigh*.

Our sponsors are back again at the same levels but now with our "masters" team that has been raising its own money and spending it completely on themselves I have our main sponsor saying that his money should be earmarked for our women's team. That's cook and all but the money is actually used to have races. Considering I ran 3 out of the 5 Illinois Cup races if i don't put on races this year there just won't be any races in Illinois/Chicago save the large series cup races.

That started an argument where we debated whether sponsorship money is for putting on races or for buying middle aged people matching helmets and socks. The question of running races at all came up. Don't have an adequate answer yet.

So....2018 races are probably OK so far....but....always just barely hanging on.

Is that what this thread was about?

Old 02-03-18, 10:41 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Raced bikes again. Folsom crit. This one is a home race for me since its all of a mile from my house. Course is just under a mile in length. Wide open. 2 turns.

35+123. Very active race with some powerful teams. Everyone tried to get someone up the road, but nothing stuck longer than a lap. Big crash through the start finish with 1 to go took out a couple dozen riders. Some were immobile on the ground. I lucked out and only took a light tumble. Officials stopped the race at the last corner. Race did not restart. 83 of us DNP'ed. No winner.

P12. Fast fast race. I was dumb and wasted energy chasing after mattm's teammate and his perpetual prime onslaught early in the race. Wised up, tucked in near the back, and tried to save some legs for the end. Finishing lap was clean and fast. I had nothing for the final sprint though and gave up a couple spots rolling in for 9th. Eh ..

Last edited by hack; 02-03-18 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-03-18, 11:53 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by hack
Raced bikes again. Folsom crit. This one is a home race for me since its all of a mile from my house. Course is just under a mile in length. Wide open. 2 turns.

35+123. Very active race with some powerful teams. Everyone tried to get someone up the road, but nothing stuck longer than a lap. Big crash through the start finish with 1 to go took out a couple dozen riders. Some were immobile on the ground. I lucked out and only took a light tumble. Officials stopped the race at the last corner. Race did not restart. 83 of us DNP'ed. No winner.

P12. Fast fast race. I was dumb and wasted energy chasing after mattm's teammate and his perpetual prime onslaught early in the race. Wised up, tucked in near the back, and tried to save some legs for the end. Finishing lap was clean and fast. I had nothing for the final sprint though and gave up a couple spots rolling in for 9th. Eh ..
A light tumble isnt too bad. Did you have flashbacks to the cat 4 race a few years ago?
Old 02-04-18, 11:04 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A light tumble isnt too bad. Did you have flashbacks to the cat 4 race a few years ago?
Luckily, I didn't get to fly like I did some years back and thankful the tumble was as minimal as it could have been. No flashbacks either, that crash back then was a total bonehead move on my part and a good lesson.
Old 02-04-18, 08:17 PM
mattm
**** that

Same race as @hack, the Folsom "Winter" Crit. It was about 75 degrees and perfectly sunny.

I really shouldn't have gone, given I'd been sick the few days before (sinus infection), and was on antibiotics. But I went anyway.

Glad I did, I felt fine in the race and was glad to be out there repping the team. I raced more conservatively than usual, and let my two other teammates attack a bunch while I mostly followed wheels.

However my "follow wheels" plan backfired in the last lap.. I was in a group of ~6 - feeling surprisingly comfortable - with one of the guys I was marking (district crit champ), and some other strong dudes. When we got caught with 1/2 lap to go Champ sat up.. I was expecting him to latch on, but I hesitated while he decided not to.. so I had to close the gap coming in to the last corner. Less than ideal.

Basically finished in the position I came in to the corner, was kind of boxed in. Really wanted to avoid that and do my patented "go early" move, but I don't quite have the speed in the legs for that yet.

5th. It'll do!

Oh and I've been scared of hurting my index finger worse - it still hurts from the crash a few weeks ago - and while I didn't crash or anything, what DID hurt it a little was the podium, of all things! One guy gave overly aggressive high-fives, and everyone else did REALLY firm handshakes.. my poor finger..

my race videos
Old 02-04-18, 10:23 PM
aaronmcd

The Bump circuit race.
One hour. Wind. Hils. Ouchie. Only did the 2/3 race but it was hard just sitting in. NP=106% current set FTP.

One guy went solo for like half the race. I wanted to kamikaze attack the last climb 8 minutes out, but was stuck behind a very slow moving pack fanned out across the one lane. Someone crashed near the front, and in the process of the entire pack getting around and back up to the front riders I managed to move up quite a bit. But they slowed down and before I had the lungs to come around I was stuck behind 20 riders going slow instead of 40. Rolled in 19th of 41. Just bad, but getting a feeling for racing again.
Old 02-12-18, 12:10 AM
aaronmcd

Got stomped on this weekend. Offseson breaks really suck. I was hoping maybe the whole pack wouldn't be in shape but damn.

OTF Stage Race, P/1/2

Maybe 25 guys. I had 3 teammates.

Road race, 10 laps at 8.8 miles each. First lap, easy peasy. Second lap some attacks are going in the headwind, I chase after one, we are caught and counter after counter after counter go while I dangle on the back trying to recover. Its on full gas all the way through the crosswind section to the short climb (1:40ish maybe?). Ouch. Well it mellows out a bit but I have realized I am not fit enough yet. Laps 4 to 7 we are chasing a break, and towards the end of lap 7 on the climb, guys finally try and get a chase group going. I get spit out the back along with one of the guys from the break and another dude.

We roll around at a moderate pace being sure to stay with each other. 8th lap I hear a clicking in time with my wheel so we stop so I can check it out. Without thinking I pluck out a goathead. And immediately the tire starts to lose air. Dammit. No one with me brought a flat kit so I tell them to roll on and maybe tell someone there is a stranded cyclist.

Eventually the "main" group which is now 7 guys rolls through and the follow vehicle stops for me. None of my team had a spare, so I had to give up and hop in. Wanted to call it quits, but teammates and others persuaded me to talk to the head official who let me stay in with last place time.

Ate a lot, slept 10.5 hours and went out to do a half hearted TT. Obviously I'm not in GC contention so I don't care about the TT and ride at about 85% for a last place time of 23 minutes. My teammate put down a 7th place 19:20 and stayed in 4th overall.

We check out of the hotel, get lunch and drive over to the circuit race. I'm hoping I recovered enough for 4.5 minute laps with a 100 ft (45-50 second) climb every lap. First lap, all out sprint up the climb and my legs are telling me they aren't ready for this crap. Second lap, the balls to the wall attacks come a minute before the climb and I can't even hang on the climb. 6.5 minutes at 125% np, fastest I've ever been dropped from a race.

Roll around to the line, motion to the officials that I'm calling it quits, and head to my car trying to decide if I'm mad, embarrassed, or frustrated.

Waste of a weekend other than to learn taking time off in the offseason is utterly stupid. I even thought I was mostly fit again until racing and remembering how freaking hard this is!
Old 02-12-18, 06:56 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts

Roll around to the line, motion to the officials that I'm calling it quits, and head to my car trying to decide if I'm mad, embarrassed, or frustrated.
I hate this feeling. We've all been humbled before, but it suuucks. You'll get back into the groove man. It's just the beginning of the season!
Old 02-13-18, 08:33 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,571 Posts
stick with it @aaronmcd! The fitness will come back around as the season progresses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.