Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 08:31 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Statistically, cycling is growing on an international scale, but in the U.S., are you noticing an increase or a decline in cycling interest in your city/region? And if it's growing, what do you feel has been the catalyst for that? Growing wages per capita (cycling is known as a well-to-do sport, afterall), has your city government successfully promoted active lifestyles, more public awareness by cycling clubs, or something else? It would be particularly interesting to hear from folks who live in more typical cities and not the large metros, which seem to defy the statistics through sheer population.

I live in a city with a metro population of around 200,000. In four years time we've gone from four bike shops to one. Club ride participation has dropped 50-75% in just 3-4 years, and we've gone from around 25 well-attended group rides a week to five. For every 10 riders who disappear, there might be one new rider come in. Once-vibrant charity rides and unsanctioned local races have dissolved entirely. Even our triathlon-specific riding groups have dropped in attendance by 50% or more. I'd like to think it's a cyclical thing, but the decrease has been pretty dramatic and shows no sign of slowing down or turning back.

Are you seeing a similar scenario?
I'm not sure if your assumptions are correct:
1. Biking is one of the cheapest equipment-focussed hobbies. for $1K you can get a decent bike (good enough for centuries anyway) either new or used and accessories that one needs. Maintenance and repair can be done by anyone themselves (well, not anyone..). To get started (just weekend neighborhood rides) your cost of entry is even much lower. Compare that to almost any other hobby (drones, boats, snowmobiling, motorcycle, skiing, golf etc.). Obviously one can go fancy with all outfit and spend $10K, but that is not needed.
2. Not sure if club membership is a good indicator. I (and many others) just ride, or meet with some friends. Why do I need to be in a club or go to special events (that may even cost $) for a hobby to have fun, or commute? Unlike teamsport, bicycling can be done alone, or in a group. Whoever has a life (child, career etc.) doesn't have that Saturday morning at 10:00 to ride, I may have time at 8:00, maybe at 11:00, maybe only on sunday.... would be too difficult to limit me to that one clubride. You mention old people on clubrides... exactly, they don't have child commitments etc. and have free time available. Younger people don't.
3. For the disappearing charity etc. rides I also don't see the correlation. Goes to my point above, why does it take a pre-planned time and $ to ride a bike? Last weekend I participated in my first fatbike race. It was over an hour, but inc. preparation driving there etc. I spent 5 hours and $35 + fuel. I can just ride from my home on bike paths and through the forest and could have ridden 5 hours at no cost. Way too much stress to be somewhere at a specific time, deal with the car (which contradicts my desire to ride a bike). If i need to be somewhere at a specific time, I may as well be at work. Riding is a hobby that I don't want to be tied to a schedule for (except the time my wife and daughter let me have...)
4. I'm sure LBS disappear because they consolidate to larger shops and/or lose business to the Internet. Has not much to do with overall bicycle use. Electronics stores also disappear, but no one would claim people use fewer smartphones now than they did 10 years ago. B&M retail in general is in decline while overall population (and consumption) is rising. Even if we don't like BSO, many bicycles are sold through Walmart et al. (OK, probably not the ones that actually are used for daily riders). Maybe for actual bicycles the LBS don't lose as much business to explain your drop to 1 out of 4. but accesories sure are bought more frequently online or at other retailers.

I don't know where you are, but what you observed may not necessarily reflect ridership. Many people just commute, and just ride for fun. they wouldn't' show up in your statistic.

To your actual question: I'm near Madison, WI and it seems biking is growing. Population is growing quickly in this area and bike paths are upgraded and expanded. The paths are pretty packed during nice days (also due to walkers and strollers etc.). Not sure if club membership is rising or not. i once looked into clubs, but decided with my busy schedule could not commit to specific times. I also wa afraid they either have 20 mph or 8 mph people and I'm in the middle
Old 02-10-18, 08:35 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
Statistically, cycling is growing on an international scale, but in the U.S., are you noticing an increase or a decline in cycling interest in your city/region? And if it's growing, what do you feel has been the catalyst for that? Growing wages per capita (cycling is known as a well-to-do sport, afterall), has your city government successfully promoted active lifestyles, more public awareness by cycling clubs, or something else? It would be particularly interesting to hear from folks who live in more typical cities and not the large metros, which seem to defy the statistics through sheer population.

I live in a city with a metro population of around 200,000. In four years time we've gone from four bike shops to one. Club ride participation has dropped 50-75% in just 3-4 years, and we've gone from around 25 well-attended group rides a week to five. For every 10 riders who disappear, there might be one new rider come in. Once-vibrant charity rides and unsanctioned local races have dissolved entirely. Even our triathlon-specific riding groups have dropped in attendance by 50% or more. I'd like to think it's a cyclical thing, but the decrease has been pretty dramatic and shows no sign of slowing down or turning back.

Are you seeing a similar scenario?
Where are you located?
Old 02-10-18, 10:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Growing in Michigan... the type of growth is the unfavorable kind.
mannerism nonexistent
riders etiquette never practiced
being aware of there surroundings never happens

i wonder where these people come from...
Old 02-11-18, 06:26 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Recently moved from a university town in Oklahoma to one in north central Florida. Cycling doing well in both, but FL has much more community support.
Old 02-11-18, 07:15 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Here in Lincoln there is steady growth in cycling. We have 130 miles of hard surface trails. The big growth is in the area of people that "real cyclist" wont admit that are cyclist. This growth is among the casual week end riders that may be on big box store bikes, but you can tell they are enjoying their ride. Also the LBS that specializes in trike is having really strong sales mainly of course among the older riders. Any more on my usual 30 mile rides I always see one or more trikes.

Last edited by rydabent; 02-12-18 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-11-18, 07:20 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding in 2016 so I don't have much history to draw from, but I can tell you that cycling is alive and well in C-Bus. Overall, the number of people who ride bikes in the U.S. has grown by ~40% since 2008, with an increase from 47 million in 2008 to 66 million in 2017. According to this statistics clearing house: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ke-riders-usa/
Old 02-11-18, 08:44 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Again, not U.S., but in the Metro Toronto Area I've been hearing politicians talk about a city that is more livable, that is, people can walk and ride their bikes to places, more green space, more pedestrian friendly, more trails, more bike lanes. The current city administration seems to be quite committed to this initiative, whereas the previous one, not so much. I think because of this, bike use, in particular for commuting, has increased.

Political currents have a huge impact on whether bicycle use is increasing or declining.
Old 02-11-18, 10:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Yes.
Old 02-11-18, 10:37 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
We've had a large increase in cyclists due to Brown v. Plata, Proposition 47 and subsequent developments. Bicycles and poverty go together, for good or ill.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-11-18, 04:40 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I'm not sure if your assumptions are correct:
1. Biking is one of the cheapest equipment-focussed hobbies. for $1K you can get a decent bike (good enough for centuries anyway) either new or used and accessories that one needs. Maintenance and repair can be done by anyone themselves (well, not anyone..). To get started (just weekend neighborhood rides) your cost of entry is even much lower. Compare that to almost any other hobby (drones, boats, snowmobiling, motorcycle, skiing, golf etc.). Obviously one can go fancy with all outfit and spend $10K, but that is not needed.
Running, crossfit, and similar activities have a far lower cost of entry than cycling, and IMO, cycling kind of competes head-to-head with running as the mainstream forms of exercise. Our running community is fairly strong.
Old 02-11-18, 06:59 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Running, crossfit, and similar activities have a far lower cost of entry than cycling, and IMO, cycling kind of competes head-to-head with running as the mainstream forms of exercise. Our running community is fairly strong.
My bicycling has a negative cost since I save far more money on averted car and/or mass transit expenses than I spend on cycling - and that's true even though most of my cycling is recreational. Running wouldn't lend itself to most of my utility cycling due to the distances involved or the need to carry significant weight/bulk.

Locally (East Bay, Calif) I think cycling participation has been flat or rising slightly. Our local club membership is down a little from a high in the mid-90s and our century ride peaked about 10 years ago, but I think that's due to increased competition (lots of new meetup groups and new charity rides). Some local shops have closed, but others have opened additional locations and we've added both REI and Performance outlets within a few miles.
Old 02-11-18, 07:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Definitely growing in Madison WI, and has been for many years.

There have been some news articles about "walkable" cities, and how it drives up property values. The same may be true for cities that are bike-friendly.
Old 02-11-18, 09:46 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
My theory is that, with increased crowding, travel for activities,

and the activity resources (waves, snow, beach, etc.) are less attractive,

so riding close to home is relatively available and desirable.

Younger folks, however, are less likely to join traditional clubs.
Old 02-11-18, 11:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Something I've noticed is that there seems to be a generational shift towards off-road cycling, and perhaps more diverse cycling activities in general. The people I know who are into road cycling tend to be older, whereas my younger colleagues and friends are more interested in trails, gravel, and dirt.

Where we tend to find common ground is commuting to work.
Old 02-11-18, 11:12 PM
PM City

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say flat to up slightly in southern California based on activity I see online, in bike shops and at races.
Old 02-12-18, 06:52 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Good point on running, yes that can be cheaper since sneakers is all you need and most people have them anyway.
I use biking also for exploring and walking/running gets dull quickly since I can't go very far :-)

Cross-fit is interesting, I watched some Netflix films about it recently. But it looks you need to have a well-equipped gym you need to be a member (with fee) with? Unless you have 30' ropes hanging at home etc. So there would be the cost of membership and driving to the gym. Probably not very expensive, but can beat a bicycle.
Old 02-12-18, 07:27 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'd say it's growing here in KC. No accurate numbers but I'm seeing a few more riders every year. The area as a whole has been working on more friendly bike structure, bike lanes etc. The hills tend scare some way, no way around that.

In my RV travels I've seen quite a few cities adding bike lanes and discussing it. Madison, Twin Cities, Winnipeg, ALL of Colorado.. don't recall anything in Atlanta.. for some reason I want to say the Northern states are progressing more than the Southern states. Am I wrong on this?
Old 02-12-18, 07:35 AM
Timmer_71

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain biking and winter fat biking is definatly growing in west michigan. New trails are being built every year. I'm not sure about road biking, seems to be about the same the last few years.
Old 02-12-18, 07:50 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
didn't read all responses so may be repeating someone's thought

based on increased bike lane consciousness and construction (i.e. planning for bike lanes, and retro fitting for bike lanes), it's got to be growing in general right?

also, more trails, and off road options
Old 02-12-18, 07:54 AM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
We've had a large increase in cyclists due to Brown v. Plata, Proposition 47 and subsequent developments. Bicycles and poverty go together, for good or ill.
Just to expand a bit. Cycling in the area is multifaceted. There certainly has been an uptick in the number of indigent riders. I don't see it as much now since I don't commute on my bike downtown and we tend to stay upstream of Cal Expo on the tandem. My bus goes down 12th and I sometimes wonder when a wobbly loaded bike is going to wander in front of the bus.

Lots of bike traffic on the grid and a variety of town, road, and single speed bikes. With rent going up all those young folks may be more motivated than ever to save on gas. I have seen an increase in bikes on H Street when I am waiting for my bus.

Bike shops seem to be holding their own. I use four shops for different needs.

I don't know about clubs. We did one ride with the Davis bike club because we were not familiar with Yolo County. We might try a few rides with our closest bike shop or the bike shop in Woodland after we get in a little better shape. I'm not going to be drafting anytime soon on the tandem so a group is not a huge advantage other than for guidance in a new area or companionship and I carry my own companion (or maybe she carries me).
Old 02-12-18, 08:00 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Seems fairly stable here. They've added more bike lanes downtown, but I seldom see them in use. And they introduced a bike share program. I've seen 6 to 8 bike share racks, all with 10 bikes or so, but I've yet to see anyone riding one. I'm guessing the city is subsidizing this effort. Doesn't appear to be economically viable.
Old 02-12-18, 08:10 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Going strong here in Chicago. New guys show up for our road group all the time. There are lots of local crits. The gravel scene has exploded and there are now local events most every weekend from March to November. The Cross Cup grows every year in participation and spectators. Palos and other mountain bike areas are overrun in the summer. You see tons of fatbikers in the winter.

It's ironic as this is likely one of the worst places in the country to ride a bike: tons of traffic, no hills, terrible winters, very little mountain biking, some of the most boring roads anywhere, endless strip malls, unsympathetic police... and yet they make something out of nothing here.
Old 02-12-18, 08:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
... From my experience as a commuter and weekend road cyclist, I would say it has increased in Metro Boston....
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Something I've noticed is that there seems to be a generational shift towards off-road cycling, and perhaps more diverse cycling activities in general. The people I know who are into road cycling tend to be older, whereas my younger colleagues and friends are more interested in trails, gravel, and dirt.

Where we tend to find common ground is commuting to work.
That was an interesting comment. Of my several contemporary (50+) colleagues who are "into" cycling, the majority do seemingly casual off-road riding (I don't). The two road cyclists I know would be considered hardcore, true roadies. I am the only cycle commuter.
Old 02-12-18, 08:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Definitely growing in the Philly area and has been for a long time. We have even had several new shops open in and around my 'hood over the last several years alone.
Old 02-12-18, 08:37 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
growing in my area, I see more cyclists more so than I have in 20 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.