Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GP5000s tubeless

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

GP5000s tubeless

Old 11-09-18, 12:35 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
GP5000s tubeless

Velonews:

Continental finally offers a tubeless road tire

Continental launched two new tires earlier this week. The new GP5000s has a whole host of advantages over its predecessor, the GP4000sII, according to Continental. Those include 12 percent better rolling resistance, 20 percent more puncture protection, 10 grams of weight savings, and more vibration absorption. That’s all well and good, but the really exciting news is the addition of the GP5000TL to the lineup. It’s got even better rolling resistance numbers (5 percent better than the GP5000s, in fact) and more puncture protection. The best part? It’s tubeless. The non-tubeless GP5000s costs $79 and the tubeless version runs $94. The GP5000s is available immediately in 23mm and 25mm widths. In six weeks, the non-tubeless tire will also be available in 28mm and 32mm widths. The 25mm tubeless tire will also be available in six weeks.
Old 11-09-18, 01:16 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I saw that the other day. Looks right up my alley, but honestly for less than the price of one tire I can get a set of gp4000s, which I KNOW I like.

Been thinking about making the switch to tubeless more out of curiosity than anything though, so who knows. I'll be looking for a wheelset and a set of tires come spring.

Also...on a more general theme, I find it ridiculous that good bike tires cost nearly as much as car tires
Old 11-09-18, 01:20 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
I'm really excited for this, especially the 32mm tubeless.

Old 11-09-18, 01:27 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I'm really excited for this, especially the 32mm tubeless.

https://youtu.be/nDASVXBAw8U
Yea the 32 mm is what is catching my eye...looks pretty ideal for commuting over broken glass, occasional group rides, and even more occasional gravel rides.
Old 11-09-18, 03:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I never understood, and still don't, the reason behind the necessary tradeoff of increasing rolling resistance in order to increase puncture resistance.
Old 11-09-18, 03:24 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I never understood, and still don't, the reason behind the necessary tradeoff of increasing rolling resistance in order to increase puncture resistance.
What dont you understand?

"Stuff" has to be there to stop a puncture.
"Stuff" increases rolling resistance.
Old 11-09-18, 03:27 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
The tire deforms where it presses against the ground: the sidewalls compress, and the center flattens into the contact patch. Deforming the tire in this way, as it enters the contact patch, uses up some of your rolling energy.
When the tire uncompresses as it exits the back side of the contact patch, it springs back, and some of the energy that was spend deforming the tire is returned to forward motion.

The air within the tire, the tire's "air spring", requires quite a bit of energy to compress, but it also springs back very lively. Tire casings that are very supple don't necessarily spring back very aggressively, but they also don't require very much energy to compress. When you add more and more material to the tire, you tend to spend more energy deforming the tire itself, and this energy usually doesn't get returned very well on the back side of the contact patch. Highly-effective puncture-protection layers tend to behave poorly in this respect.

High-performance tires often use thin and flexible puncture protection layers to minimize the impact on weight and rolling performance, but these layers frequently don't do a whole lot to protect against punctures either.
Old 11-09-18, 03:31 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Velonews:

Continental finally offers a tubeless road tire

Continental launched two new tires earlier this week. The new GP5000s has a whole host of advantages over its predecessor, the GP4000sII, according to Continental. Those include 12 percent better rolling resistance, 20 percent more puncture protection, 10 grams of weight savings, and more vibration absorption. That’s all well and good, but the really exciting news is the addition of the GP5000TL to the lineup. It’s got even better rolling resistance numbers (5 percent better than the GP5000s, in fact) and more puncture protection. The best part? It’s tubeless. The non-tubeless GP5000s costs $79 and the tubeless version runs $94. The GP5000s is available immediately in 23mm and 25mm widths. In six weeks, the non-tubeless tire will also be available in 28mm and 32mm widths. The 25mm tubeless tire will also be available in six weeks.
So one of these unicorn-hide roadie tires cost as much as 2x of my gravel tires that have 2x as much material in them.

Ah, the roadie tax.
Old 11-09-18, 03:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by HTupolev
The tire deforms where it presses against the ground: the sidewalls compress, and the center flattens into the contact patch. Deforming the tire in this way, as it enters the contact patch, uses up some of your rolling energy.
When the tire uncompresses as it exits the back side of the contact patch, it springs back, and some of the energy that was spend deforming the tire is returned to forward motion.

The air within the tire, the tire's "air spring", requires quite a bit of energy to compress, but it also springs back very lively. Tire casings that are very supple don't necessarily spring back very aggressively, but they also don't require very much energy to compress. When you add more and more material to the tire, you tend to spend more energy deforming the tire itself, and this energy usually doesn't get returned very well on the back side of the contact patch. Highly-effective puncture-protection layers tend to behave poorly in this respect.

High-performance tires often use thin and flexible puncture protection layers to minimize the impact on weight and rolling performance, but these layers frequently don't do a whole lot to protect against punctures either.
Thank you for the explanation... well thought out. What I didn't understand, is that while you add more material (or "stuff") to a tire to increase thickness and puncture resistance, to compensate, the tire maker could use more supple materials to compensate, or, you inflate your tire to a lesser psi.
Old 11-09-18, 04:01 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
to compensate, the tire maker could use more supple materials to compensate
That's basically just saying "use better materials." The problem is that most puncture-protection materials that are effective in thin layers are not very supple.

or, you inflate your tire to a lesser psi.
That increases the amount of deformation that the tire experiences.
Old 11-09-18, 04:49 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
So one of these unicorn-hide roadie tires cost as much as 2x of my gravel tires that have 2x as much material in them.

Ah, the roadie tax.
Yes but they are VIRGIN unicorns and they are getting hard to find.
Old 11-09-18, 07:19 PM
Gr8day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wish they were making a 30mil.
Old 11-09-18, 08:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Ninety five bucks a tire. Ninety five. I'm trying to let that sink in. My car is fitted with 245/40-ZR17 summer performance tires, rated AA for traction and AA for braking. They were about 80 bucks apiece, and last ~20,000 miles. Apples to oranges? Sure.

How about apples to apples? A Schwalbe Pro One can be had for about 40 bucks.
Old 11-09-18, 08:48 PM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Agreed. I was excited to try them until I saw the price. GP4k can be had for about $35/ea, I really don’t see enough to warrant paying more than 2x that per tire. Looks like I’ll go with the Schwalbes if I want to try road tubeless.
Old 11-09-18, 08:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Sure, but you're comparing the new retail with the street price - I'm sure that the Conti will come down. Also, I haven't ridden the Pro One, but I don't think that anyone has ever accused them of being long-wearing. I would be shocked if the Contis weren't good for significantly more mileage than the Schwalbes.
Old 11-09-18, 08:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Also...on a more general theme, I find it ridiculous that good bike tires cost nearly as much as car tires
Good bike tires do not cost nearly as much as good automobile tires.
Old 11-09-18, 09:33 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Good bike tires do not cost nearly as much as good automobile tires.
They sure do on a per pound basis

Besides. Car tires are far more advanced. They've had road tubeless for nearly a century now.
Old 11-09-18, 10:50 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I'm looking forward to reading more about these tyres. Right now I'm not looking for a new set of tyres, but depending on what the reviews have to say, when time comes I might seriously consider these ones. Need to learn more though.
Old 11-09-18, 10:59 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I'm pretty sure the materials are a minor fraction of what you're paying for, so I wouldn't expect such a huge difference between the price of bike and car tyres.

I'd say most of what you're paying for is the development of the design and the creation of the tooling; once that's amortised, a large fraction of the price would be profit. But that's a huge outlay to make up for, no doubt. I'm tipping the GP5000 will be unrelentingly pricey for at least two or three years...
Old 11-09-18, 11:37 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I enjoy trying new tires and I’m sure that I’ll give these a shot. My Schwalbe Pro One’s TL easy lasted about 1200 miles a few hundred less than I’ve gotten with some of my other tubeless models. The front one got nailed by something that ripped a nice hole in the sidewall. Real shame since I was proud to say that I’ve never had a flat in over 3 years of riding tubeless exclusively.

i do like the price of the Schwalbe’s right now, but I wanted to try the S Works Turbos so paid retail for them at $100 each, thankfullly my LBS owner knows me well and gave me a nice solid discount! So far they ride very nicely, although I wish they had the 26mm vs the 24 that I bought. Will see how many miles I get and then trybthe conti’s. I’m probably the only guy I know that didn’t like the clincher GO 4000’s!
Old 11-10-18, 12:12 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
They sure do on a per pound basis.
Who cares about the cost per pound? Would you be happier if your bike tires weighed 5 times more for the same price?

My most expensive car tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL; $419 ea) cost about ten times as much as my most expensive bike tires (Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless; $43 ea).
Old 11-10-18, 03:11 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Ninety five bucks a tire. Ninety five. I'm trying to let that sink in. My car is fitted with 245/40-ZR17 summer performance tires, rated AA for traction and AA for braking. They were about 80 bucks apiece, and last ~20,000 miles. Apples to oranges? Sure.

Im sure online prices will drop soon enough, but I agree. Next time Im trying some off brand stuff like wiggles own brand or something. I feel its getting a bit out of hand.
Old 11-10-18, 09:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sure, but you're comparing the new retail with the street price - I'm sure that the Conti will come down. Also, I haven't ridden the Pro One, but I don't think that anyone has ever accused them of being long-wearing. I would be shocked if the Contis weren't good for significantly more mileage than the Schwalbes.
For TL flat protection, the Pirelli Cinturato looks really good. Not mentioned much around these forums (or is it fori)?
Old 11-10-18, 09:32 AM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Who cares about the cost per pound? Would you be happier if your bike tires weighed 5 times more for the same price?

My most expensive car tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL; $419 ea) cost about ten times as much as my most expensive bike tires (Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless; $43 ea).
No. I'm just being dense. I'm offended on ethical grounds by how much they charge

I'll probably still pay and try them though. Dollars spent on tires even at exorbitant rates make more of a difference to the experience of riding a bike than anything else. Doesn't mean I have to like paying it though
Old 11-10-18, 09:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
For TL flat protection, the Pirelli Cinturato looks really good. Not mentioned much around these forums (or is it fori)?
I'd imagine it's because they're still relatively new and aren't seeing really wide distribution (at least I haven't seen them much).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.