Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Do we rename this sub forum as "Indoor Racing"

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Do we rename this sub forum as "Indoor Racing"

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 06:16 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Where do you see that Niner is dead?
IIRC it's been dead a few times. I believe the last time was like real dead not just zombie dead.

In other electronic racing news: I landed on the podium on Friday.

Now for the disclaimers:
It was on BKOOL so its like a tree falling in the woods
It is a part of a weekly series that technically I get "paid" to participate in (a cool club thing they are doing to help promote usage of BKOOL in the US)
It was the Friday "DOWNHILL" course.
It was only like 4.7 miles long
It has me averaging over 300W for the like 7 minutes it took. I don't think that was accurate but it was only 7 minutes and I was at my absolute max HR at the end hoping I didn't flatline as no one else was in the shop.

Then again it was something that took absolutely no effort to physically organize or create. It allowed me to feel like I was racing in a way - brought back those old feelings. It gave a fat washed up POS like myself a small moment of "wow...that's cool" that we find so addicting in the real thing. E-Sports are a thing. We better get used to it.

Old 01-08-19, 06:17 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Then again it was something that took absolutely no effort to physically organize or create. It allowed me to feel like I was racing in a way - brought back those old feelings. It gave a fat washed up POS like myself a small moment of "wow...that's cool" that we find so addicting in the real thing. E-Sports are a thing. We better get used to it.
This. And it's not just cycling, if anything we are behind (as usual). Look at what is going on in Sim racing, places like iracing with series and leagues at multiple levels. Sponsorship $$$ and product placement from real world companies, not just the sim hardware industry.
Old 01-09-19, 11:43 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
This is a report on FB from a zwift race last night. Do you think this guy is into it?

Atlantic report: one thing is becoming abundantly clear in this series of serious minded cycling cats ... Races are what the group makes them! The start was slower last night and felt as if it might just be a social hour on the bike with beverages, cigars and slaps on the back. I saw that the E category was missing some key players in the points and the pressure was off of me, so I was out to have some fun! My style of racing is to attack and mix things up a bit. When we wer...e rolling around at 3.2 w/ kg I jumped... The reaction was as if to say " meh"... And between a slight increase in pack speed and my decreased enthusiasm, the pack came back together. Some kids came to play however and Britt and Knight started to fire things off. My job was to cover. Eventually a small band of brothers formed representing the B C D and E cats along with two riders who did not have the ZHR tag. Daranquo-- you ride so strong, and yet week after week you are not included in the results without the ZHR (E) designation....I enjoy racing with you for sure! The hill is short and designed for those of us with some power... Surge and recover; only to surge again for the next sharp riser after while trying to keep some in reserve for the finish line climb... Lap 1 completed. Our front group settled in and began to slow a bit with about a minute over the chase group. The likes of Greg Hagele and Eric Urff and a new name to cat E Frederico were chasing hard and hovering at around 40 seconds back. Then Eric made a move to separate and bridged the gap solo at around 4.3 w/kg! Impressive to watch. Then, the hill loomed ahead and Eric let us know he would not be joining us for that kind of fun! I was busy collecting my body parts at the top of the hill and realized that the gap to Eric was at around 15 seconds... And he was gone. The game became one of cat and mouse for the front and one of panic for me as I got gapped going into the finish line climb ... A little power was needed to close it and then measured effort to sustain with these guys. Too much for me though as I blew up with 300 meters to the line.... Smiling all the way. Man this is fun! A big shout out to Barb Kraus who is always there motivating, giving ride ons, and bringing positive energy to the race. Much appreciated Barb--keep it up! See you next time ...
Old 01-09-19, 02:15 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
what.

I have no idea how anyone has that amount of awareness in zwift. Are "races" on closed instances?
Old 01-09-19, 03:45 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Funny....I found it to be just as boring as people's real race reports.

Old 01-09-19, 05:22 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Funny....I found it to be just as boring as people's real race reports.
Not only that, but it followed the iron rule of race reports: the length of the report is inversely proportional to the placing.

Q: "How'd you do?"

A (pack fodder): [War and Peace]

A (1st place): "OK. I won."
Old 01-09-19, 05:29 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Not only that, but it followed the iron rule of race reports: the length of the report is inversely proportional to the placing.

Q: "How'd you do?

A (Pack fodder): [War and Peace]

Indeed. We always say the longer the conversation about the race after it finishes the lower the ability of the rider.

"I wanted to move up but then I saw you there and figured I would just look for an opportunity to open a gap for you later so you'd be clear to get a good position in the sprint cause that guy in the Joe's Porta Potty kit kept moving in on me in the corners I yelled at him every time but he kept doing it I should go talk to him about that does anyone know where he ended up I'm sure I dropped him in the sprint when I was coming in the second group when the officials finished us 2 laps early but yeah that was awesome how I helped you out during that surge mid race and set you up for the sprint."

Winner: "It was faster than I thought it would be. I went when I figured I had to or I wouldn't have a chance. Worked out. They ready for podiums yet?"

Old 01-09-19, 07:40 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
This is a report on FB from a zwift race last night. Do you think this guy is into it?
Makes me want to start trolling the hell out of e (is that an actual category?) and d "races"...

Eh, must be winter time.
Old 01-09-19, 07:40 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

Q: "How'd you do?"

A (pack fodder): [War and Peace]

Ha. Totally nailed it.
Old 01-10-19, 06:46 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Makes me want to start trolling the hell out of e (is that an actual category?) and d "races"...

Eh, must be winter time.
ZHR Masters uses I think British Cycling age categories, eg E is 50-54.
Old 01-10-19, 09:30 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Are "races" on closed instances?
yes, usually.