Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Kickr Core connectivity

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 03:41 AM
TopEnd Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

G’day folks from Darwin, way up in the Top End of Australia. (Home to a large contingent of US Marines for 6 months each year).

My query may not be posted in the right place? If it’s not, please forgive me and put it down to me being new on here.

I’m hoping someone can give me some advice, please.

I’ve got my eyes on a Wahoo Kickr Core at my local BS and want to confirm exactly what the total cost will be to get going on Zwift. I know I have to purchase a cassette which is straightforward.

The uncertainty comes with connectivity.

I have a Garmin Edge 510 on my road bike.

Q1. Do I need to transfer the Garmin sensors from my road bike to my training bike?

Q2. Do I need to purchase a ANT+ device to transmit the speed, cadence and heart rate data to Zwift via my iPad Pro?

If I’m not mistaken the answer to both Q’s is yes. From the research I’ve done this isn’t necessary if using a Wahoo Kickr18?

Apologies in advance if I’m asking what may seem dumb Q’s.

Advice gratefully received.

Cheers for now & stay upright!

John
Old 01-13-19, 08:24 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by TopEnd Rider
My query may not be posted in the right place?
Welcome to Bike Forums John. We have moved your thread from our General Cycling Discussion forum to our Electronics forum.
Old 01-13-19, 10:20 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 2,517 Posts
the kickrs don't do cadence or heart rate, but they transmit a speed. So you would need to put a cadence sensor on your bike if you want that. There is a mode where they use cadence to control the kickr, but you dont' have to use it and some people don't like it. As long as bluetooth is okay, you don't have to buy anything for your ipad. If you want to use your Garmin cadence sensor, there is a device that will translate ant+ to bluetooth. There were ant+ interfaces for older iPads, but there is a thread here that says they don't work on the new ones. The solution in that thread is one of these https://npe-inc.com/cableinfo/
Otherwise, if cadence and heartrate is important to you, you might want to consider getting wahoo bluetooth devices which also do ant+.
Old 01-13-19, 05:07 PM
TopEnd Rider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you

Appreciate your response. I think the North Pole Engineering device is probably the way to go. It’s a decent priced unit and much cheaper than replacing all the Garmin sensors with Wahoo sensors.
What has surprised me is the lack of knowledge by bicycle shop staff. Some say you don’t need anything other than the Wahoo & Zwift, some say you need to buy Wahoo Sensors and some say you don’t need anything.
After I’ve completed setup I’ll share my experience.
Old 01-14-19, 01:47 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
The truth is any of the above, it all depends on what you want. I have a Kickr Core with Zwift running on an iMac. I have a set of Wahoo sensors for speed and cadence and use neither for Zwift, but I have cadence coming from my Assioma pedals. I also have the Wahoo Tickr HR strap. All of the sensors and the Core support both BT and ANT+, and I have an ANT+ dongle on the iMac but at this point it is unnecessary. I mostly used it for my old Garmin HR monitor that was only ANT+. The reason I keep it plugged in is that all of these devices can be finicky. Some days they connect instantly, other days they just don't. Bluetooth has its own issue in that a nearby phone can connect to a device and that prevents my computer from using it. With all of the devices around it just takes a lot of checking to see what has it.

In Zwift I don't find myself looking at cadence so much but when I go on The Sufferfest their videos all specify a target cadence. In Zwift I tend to use the Kickr in simulation mode where it tracks the climbing grade, and in The Sufferfest I use ERG mode, which keeps power at the specified amount regardless of cadence. Different types of workouts that complement each other. You can do Zwift in ERG mode using workouts but I find it boring since it removes some of the social aspect of being able to ride with others.

Everybody has their own way of using these things, and I don't feel like my way is the best way.
Old 01-15-19, 12:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Your kickr transmits power in both BTLE and ANT+ (not speed)
Your iPad can pair to your kickr with bluetooth, but will not "see" any ANT+ sensors.

That is *all* you need to use zwift. Anything else is maybe nice to have or even desirable but not necessary. Your garmin head unit is completely unnecessary. A Heart rate monitor is nice to have and cadence is nice to have.

I gave up on Garmin sensors a couple years ago because their mule-headedness about making them ANT+ only limits me. Those things tend to wear out after a few years anyway, so next time you need one, just get a BT / ANT sensor. Wahoo makes some nice sensors.

I got my wife that CABLE device so she can use her garmin footpod and jog on her treadmill. It does a nice job, so if you want that so you can use your ANT+ sensors with your iPad, it'll work well for you.