Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain Cleaning with T-9 - How Often?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-13-19, 03:40 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts

So, I'm up here in Boston for another mild winter. We have been having some rain, but our snow fall total this winter is currently less than one inch. It's been clear and cold and not much even as far as ice on the road or sidewalk. There is occasional black ice but it usually clears by the evening. Obviously, they are putting down chemicals to treat the roads.

Question: how often should I be cleaning the bike chain?

I've been trying to spray down the bike chain with T-9 every other week, but one of my New Year's resolutions is to clean it every week. Is that too much? I guess I should back up and add that this winter I installed a new bike chain after about 2500 miles of "moderate" wear on the original chain. And when I cleaned the chain this week I noticed a touch of rust on a replaceable strap near the derailer (something to make note of in the spring).

Any comments?
Old 01-14-19, 09:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
If your chain starts squeaking, you should have re-lubed it sooner.

I've had pretty good luck with T-9 just re-lubing it after rainy rides, but I don't know how that translates into winter schmuck. It seems to work well as a rust preventative and lubricant. The biggest problem I have with T-9 is trying to wipe everything clean -- I usually end up scraping jockey wheels clean with a screwdriver halfway through the life of the chain.
Old 01-14-19, 12:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Every weekend?

Or, when you worry about having not done it often enough?
Old 01-14-19, 03:27 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by pdlamb
If your chain starts squeaking, you should have re-lubed it sooner.

I've had pretty good luck with T-9 just re-lubing it after rainy rides, but I don't know how that translates into winter schmuck. It seems to work well as a rust preventative and lubricant. The biggest problem I have with T-9 is trying to wipe everything clean -- I usually end up scraping jockey wheels clean with a screwdriver halfway through the life of the chain.
Sounds like you'd go with a different solvent? As far as those jockey wheels, if they go, I pretty much need a new chain, right?
Old 01-15-19, 07:55 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
T9 is really a lubricant, not a cleaner. I'm sure it will dissolve some grease but White Lightening is certainly going to clean more effectively.

My experience is that T9 is a very poor chain lubricant. It lasted about 80 miles in good weather and had to be reapplied. Just about any chain lube will do better than T9.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-15-19 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 09:24 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by TimothyH
T9 is really a lubricant, not a cleaner. I'm sure it will dissolve some grease but White Lightening is certainly going to clean more effectively.

My experience is that T9 is a very poor chain lubricant. It lasted about 80 miles in good weather and had to be reapplied. Just about any chain lube will do better than T9.

-Tim-
Thanks, what about bad weather, like snow or rain?
Old 01-15-19, 09:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I had (and have) much better luck with T9. It lasts me about a month, 400 miles or so, and stays on through light showers or damp roads. Heavy showers (the kind that wash any lube right off) are a different story, of course. No experience in snow -- I like to play bumper cars with 3,000 pounds of steel padding.

Fresh T9 lube is also pretty good at loosening/dissolving old, dried up T9. I put T9 on the inside of a chain, spin it a few times, and then wipe, wipe, and wipe. It looks pretty clean by the time I get through. Wipe it again after tomorrow's ride, and even more comes off. Then I just ride until the chain needs cleaning and/or re-lube.

What builds up on the jockey wheels may (emphasis on may as opposed to will) dirty the chain up and wear it out sooner, although my observed chain life is similar with T9 to any other lube I've used, and better than some of the dry lubes. Scrape it off when I see it and keep riding. Measure the chain periodically for wear, there is no proxy.
Old 01-15-19, 02:46 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 114 Posts
I`ve heard that Cleaning with Marvel Mystery Oil is good, Followed by lubricating with a good chain oil is the way to go??
Old 01-16-19, 11:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I know it's silly to get into those "best chain lube" debates, but I think T-9 is pretty awful. It seems to be less viscous than water. Try something thicker.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-19, 01:01 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by noglider
I know it's silly to get into those "best chain lube" debates, but I think T-9 is pretty awful. It seems to be less viscous than water. Try something thicker.
Perfectly ok, I'm pretty open to suggestions, actually. What's your suggestion?

This month is pretty tight so I'll probably try to use up what's left of the T9. But when it runs out, I'll make a note of it and try out your suggestion.
Old 01-16-19, 01:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Perfectly ok, I'm pretty open to suggestions, actually. What's your suggestion?

This month is pretty tight so I'll probably try to use up what's left of the T9. But when it runs out, I'll make a note of it and try out your suggestion.
I like Chain-L. It's very viscous and lasts a long time. It's a small company, run by a guy who's been in bikes his whole life.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-19, 01:13 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by noglider
I like Chain-L. It's very viscous and lasts a long time. It's a small company, run by a guy who's been in bikes his whole life.
Many thanks
Old 01-16-19, 02:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't know how long it will last in the wet. I tried it during the summer and gave up after a few applications so never got to try it other than dry conditions.

Its good for inside shifters and similar.
Old 01-18-19, 06:38 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
I use Chain-L. In the winter lasts about a month, including rides through heavily salted slush. Pretty good, I'd say.
Old 01-30-19, 06:13 PM
zackzhrd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend fully degreasing the chain, then reapply wet chain lube, rather than apply an all-in-one solution to "clean, lube, and protect" like T-9. I use WPL (Whistler Performance Lubricants) bio-solvent degreaser, and then their wet chain lube. It's more work but worth it in the end for your drivetrain.
Old 01-31-19, 09:53 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by zackzhrd
I recommend fully degreasing the chain, then reapply wet chain lube, rather than apply an all-in-one solution to "clean, lube, and protect" like T-9. I use WPL (Whistler Performance Lubricants) bio-solvent degreaser, and then their wet chain lube. It's more work but worth it in the end for your drivetrain.
I did look up WPL after your suggestion. I noticed it claims to be bio-degradable. Do you happen to know why they can make that claim?
Old 02-04-19, 02:05 PM
zackzhrd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
I did look up WPL after your suggestion. I noticed it claims to be bio-degradable. Do you happen to know why they can make that claim?
I looked into this claim and found that WPL's products are biodegradable and bio-based because they are plant-based and therefore pose no risk to the environment. Ingredients can be seen here: wplbike.com/pages/ingredients
Hope that helps.
Old 02-04-19, 02:19 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by zackzhrd
I looked into this claim and found that WPL's products are biodegradable and bio-based because they are plant-based and therefore pose no risk to the environment. Ingredients can be seen here: wplbike.com/pages/ingredients
Hope that helps.
Thanks, I will mention it to my mechanic the next time I see him