Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Building a Ti tandem

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Building a Ti tandem

Old 01-21-19, 03:20 PM
Anavycrna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building a Ti tandem

Greetings all,
I'm contemplating a Seven tandem build. I wanted to put a rohloff/gates drivetrain on it but am hearing there are better systems out there. I'm just hearing about the etap system. Our team is 460# and we will doing some loaded touring along with credit card tours. I'm trying to get the most range as possible and wonder if a gates timing chain along with a Shimano/Sram drive system might give us more low end for the mountains.
thank you
anavycrna
Old 01-22-19, 02:00 PM
Alan_F

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture Ti S&S, DaVinci Symbiosis 27.5", Trek Emonda SLR 7, Motobecane Century Ti ETap AXS, Motobecane Fantom Ti hardtail, Diamondback Haanjo Carbon, Motobecane Fantom 4x4 29'er, SE F@R fatbike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
At 460# and considering loaded touring you probably want a wide range of gears and a pretty low granny. As the happy owner of 4 DaVinci tandems (2 road, 2 MTB), with the latest being a Ti S&S road bike, I'd recommend you take a look at what they offer. We're about 100 lbs lighter than you and don't do any loaded touring but with our team power to weight ratio and the terrain we regularly ride we make full use of the DaVinci range.

With a Di2 triple we have a 58x11 big gear and a 26 x 40 granny. Our mechanical shifting bikes have a similar range but have a quad in front rather than a triple. I don't think E-Tap can come close to that range, and it certainly can't do it as a continuous range with reasonable shifts between cogs and rings. Other manufacturers with conventional drivetrains can easily get you one end of that or the other, but usually not both.

For those happily riding doubles (or even single speed) tandems I'm not discounting that those setups work for many teams, but I'll take lots of gears and lots of range!
Old 01-22-19, 08:57 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
For wide range gearing, I would not recommend Rohloff. The hub is limited to 526% total range. To be fair, that’s comparable to all the 1X mountain groups and a bit wider than standard road groups.

You can achieve over 600% gear range with a handful of 3X or wide range 2X drivetrains. Cycles Chinook and House of Tandems both offer extended derailleur cages for SRAM Red eTap to allow 11-42 (or possibly wider) cassettes to work well. I’ve seen the Chinook extended cage with 53/34 chainrings and 11-42 cassette with a taut chain and good shifting in all the gears.
Shimano DI2 MTB derailleurs allow an 11-40 cassette with triple or 11-42 cassette with a double.
Cable actuated derailleurs are a viable option, too. With SRAM bits, you can mix road shifters and some MTB derailleurs in 10- and 11-speed. With Shimano parts, 8-, 9, and 10-speed road and MTB groups can be mixed.
Old 01-22-19, 11:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
For wide range gearing, I would not recommend Rohloff. The hub is limited to 526% total range..
Limited! Lordy. Some people will complain about anything
Old 01-22-19, 11:07 PM
act0fgod

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan_F
At 460# and considering loaded touring you probably want a wide range of gears and a pretty low granny. As the happy owner of 4 DaVinci tandems (2 road, 2 MTB), with the latest being a Ti S&S road bike, I'd recommend you take a look at what they offer. We're about 100 lbs lighter than you and don't do any loaded touring but with our team power to weight ratio and the terrain we regularly ride we make full use of the DaVinci range.

With a Di2 triple we have a 58x11 big gear and a 26 x 40 granny.
^^^^This is what our next bike will be.^^^^

Rode a davinci and really liked the independent cycling and the huge gear range.

We upgraded our tandem to e-tap and I will say it's really nice but it's not perfect. The DaVinci range with di2 sounds perfect.
Old 01-23-19, 03:58 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Seven make great bikes (we have 2) and you will be happy with the resultsRohloff is pretty good and the range is fine. I myself after having built up a few rohloff wheels don’t really like the weight. We are just about to head off on a 3 week tour with our tandem newly upgraded to eTap and it’s working brilliantly. We are using a 50-34 with an 11/42 cassette which gives us a 22” low gear. Not really worried about not having a high gear. If we’re going faster than 60km/hr we’ll just tuck in and coast. For our trip to the Italy and the Dolomites in May, I’ll swap the chainrings to 46-30. Our power to weight is average but we are 320# and we only cc tour with our panniers weighing about 30#. At 460# I’d be losing some weight before you spend the big dollars on a Seven. Your position will change as your weight drops. Spend some money on coaching to help you stay motivated and buy the Seven as your reward for when you hit your goal.

Last edited by geoffs; 01-23-19 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 06:07 PM
Bad1

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

Limited! Lordy. Some people will complain about anything
I dont believe OneIsAllYouNeed was complaining one bit he was stating all of the difference in gearing available in different packages. I believe OneIsAllYouNeed is a mechanical engineer, bike builder, and tandem enthusiast, and creator of Cycles Chinook. I've never have had the pleasure of meeting him, but I would say he is very measured not to reply to your idiotic statement.

Old 01-29-19, 01:07 AM
tkramer
TKramer

Bikes: Paketa V2r, Co-motion Equator Co-pilot, Bingham BUILT. tandem

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad1

I dont believe OneIsAllYouNeed was complaining one bit he was stating all of the difference in gearing available in different packages. I believe OneIsAllYouNeed is a mechanical engineer, bike builder, and tandem enthusiast, and creator of Cycles Chinook. I've never have had the pleasure of meeting him, but I would say he is very measured not to reply to your idiotic statement.

When the touted 600%+ range includes useless tall gears for a heavy touring application, it seems presumptuous to dismiss a Rohloff because of its nominally "narrow" range. With a middling 55 x 22 tooth belt drivetrain on 700-35c tires your low end is 19.1 gear inches, top end 100. 44/34/24 x 11-40 turns out 16.4 - 110 gear inches in that glorious 667% range. Anyone that thinks they need >100 gear inches in as heavy a setup as the OP is suggesting must be ashamed of being seen coasting 19+ mph down a 2% grade. Plus, the jump from 13T to 11T is the most unsatisfying gear shift ever inflicted upon us cyclists by the component pushers.

To address the low end on the Rohloff you could go with a 50T drive ring and approach the triple with 17.4 at the bottom and a still have respectable 91.3 at the top. To get any lower you have to go with chain instead of belt to avoid overtorque limits on the hub. So that might be the deal breaker for someone with their heart set on belt drive.

Rohloffs are not for everyone or for every type of riding. Which is really the only reason to discourage it. If you want a single versatile bike that can do many things well - like tour on one weekend and keep up with a sporty club ride the next, do not get one. You will want another bike for the swift ride fix. Assuming OneIsAllYouNeed's handle reflects his philosophy on number of bikes to keep, it's the narrowness of the overall versatility and "performance envelope" not just the gearing range that potential buyer's need to seriously consider.
Old 01-29-19, 06:45 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
There are also additional practical reasons for a Rohloff especially if you are considering to travel and transport the bike. Easier on maintenance, no need to remove or mess with a dérailleur (not a huge deal for some...I understand) , easier to lay the bike down on either side or not running into mini angst about bending the dérailleur, shifting several gears at standstill, adjustments after chain repair etc ... The marginal additional weight in the back could also be balanced well if the captain and stoker weight difference is substantial.*
Old 01-29-19, 09:26 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Here are a couple of resources that might aide this discussion.
Gear calculator... Currently setup with the lowest allowable Rohloff gear ratio and an example derailleur arrangement.
Bicycle Gear Calculator

The Rohloff manual. Key snippet is the lowest allowable belt gear ratios for tandems with 26" wheels: "46/19,50/20,55/22,60/24". With larger wheels, the gear ratios may be reduced proportionally.
https://www.rohloff.de/fileadmin/use...015_03_web.pdf

It's true that I like my bikes to be versatile. I like having high enough gears for group road rides and low enough gears to crawl up steep hills. I like having tires that are smooth on pavement and on gravel roads. As for the username, I used to ride a fixie all the time. It might not have been the best tool for the job, but it didn't stop me. I bought my first tandem a couple years after making this account. My current tandem lives up to the username though. It'll fit up to 63mm tires; gearing is 53/34 x 11-42; it packs into S&S suitcases; the stoker compartment has a telescoping seat tube.
Old 01-29-19, 03:29 PM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

With a Di2 triple we have a 58x11 big gear and a 26 x 40 granny. Our mechanical shifting bikes have a similar range but have a quad in front rather than a triple. I don't think E-Tap can come close to that range, and it certainly can't do it as a continuous range with reasonable shifts between cogs and rings. Other manufacturers with conventional drivetrains can easily get you one end of that or the other, but usually not both.

For those happily riding doubles (or even single speed) tandems I'm not discounting that those setups work for many teams, but I'll take lots of gears and lots of range!
Hi Alan can you please confirm for me your triple gearing? Is it a 50 tooth big ring? How did you mount your XTR FD to adjust for the big ring size?
Old 01-29-19, 11:18 PM
tkramer
TKramer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeinxs
Hi Alan can you please confirm for me your triple gearing? Is it a 50 tooth big ring? How did you mount your XTR FD to adjust for the big ring size?
Alan's tandem is a DaVinci with independent coasting. His front derailleur shifts over a 13/22(?)/29 triple cluster which is then doubled by the crankset rings to freewheel bracket ratio change. See the explaination here https://www.davincitandems.com/drivetrain-info/.
Old 01-30-19, 05:30 PM
Alan_F

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture Ti S&S, DaVinci Symbiosis 27.5", Trek Emonda SLR 7, Motobecane Century Ti ETap AXS, Motobecane Fantom Ti hardtail, Diamondback Haanjo Carbon, Motobecane Fantom 4x4 29'er, SE F@R fatbike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tkramer
Alan's tandem is a DaVinci with independent coasting. His front derailleur shifts over a 13/22(?)/29 triple cluster which is then doubled by the crankset rings to freewheel bracket ratio change. See the explaination here Drivetrain Info - da Vinci Designs.
Yup - it is a 13/21/29 so equivalent to 26/42/58 with an 11 speed 11-40 in the back. One of the advantages of the DaVinci system is that it allows you to run an XTR triple within its designed chainring size limits and still have a tandem-capable gearing range.

I'm running syncro mode and did an out of saddle shift from the big to middle ring the other day. I've been trying to avoid that based on experience with other drivetrains, but the bike handled it without any drama. If I hadn't pointed it out I don't think my stoker would have noticed it was multiple shifts.
Old 02-03-19, 06:55 PM
tkramer
TKramer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup - it is a 13/21/29 so equivalent to 26/42/58 with an 11 speed 11-40 in the back. One of the advantages of the DaVinci system is that it allows you to run an XTR triple within its designed chainring size limits and still have a tandem-capable gearing range.

I'm running syncro mode and did an out of saddle shift from the big to middle ring the other day. I've been trying to avoid that based on experience with other drivetrains, but the bike handled it without any drama. If I hadn't pointed it out I don't think my stoker would have noticed it was multiple shifts.
Todd should tout this as the only "viable" eTriple option available in Tandemdom. The gerry-rigging required to get 3x road gearing with the XTR Di2 group is really sub-optimal. Using the 3rd BB as a go-between makes the current triple Di2 fit right into Shimano's specifications (erring to smaller chainrings), whether or not you want ICS.