Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Vert to horizontal dropouts

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 02:46 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

how difficult is it to swap dropouts?

asking for a friend
Old 01-27-19, 03:06 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I have done it, but it was not something that I could imagine anyone would classify as fun. If you are looking for the advantage of not being able to pull the wheel forward, a much easier route would be to simply weld on a few little tabs at the front of the drop outs, like the ones that a lot of forks have.
Old 01-27-19, 03:09 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Brian25
I have done it, but it was not something that I could imagine anyone would classify as fun. If you are looking for the advantage of not being able to pull the wheel forward, a much easier route would be to simply weld on a few little tabs at the front of the drop outs, like the ones that a lot of forks have.
looking to be able to pull the axle back to tension chain. Lots of frames out there with everything I need except for they have vertical dropouts. I don’t want to mess with 1/2 links or tensioners if I don’t have to
Old 01-27-19, 04:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
It's fussy work, but doable for an experienced builder. A beginner could possibly bumble their way through it and maybe end up with a usable frame. Henry James (see sources thread) has some conversion dropouts which are probably a good idea. It would be best if the donor frame doesn't have chrome on the rear triangle.
Old 01-27-19, 05:32 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's fussy work, but doable for an experienced builder. A beginner could possibly bumble their way through it and maybe end up with a usable frame. Henry James (see sources thread) has some conversion dropouts which are probably a good idea. It would be best if the donor frame doesn't have chrome on the rear triangle.
was thinking of buying horizontal dropouts on ebay for $17.
Old 01-27-19, 06:15 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I vote, not to do it.
Old 01-27-19, 06:37 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
It is difficult enough so a beginner should not try and do it without expert instruction and practice. It isn't a place to start. It is easier to go from vertical to horizontal than the other way around however.
Old 01-27-19, 07:40 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
I would go the route of a White Industries Eno hub that has eccentric axle to allow for tightening the chain.
Old 01-27-19, 10:16 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Brian25
I vote, not to do it.
thanks Brian
Old 01-27-19, 10:23 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Thanks all.

I had the idea this was one of those topics that, if you have to ask, the answer is no.

Just to add some color - I am looking for an affordable frame with canti brakes for ss cx racing but also compatible with 700c rims (I have a set I want to use) and horizontal dropouts so I can easily put back to a geared bike in case I hate racing ss or make it a touring bike in case I hate racing period (currently I only have my ss commuter, nothing for longer rides)

I will either have to make due with a 1/2 link setup or the eno hub by White Industries mentioned above or build a couple dedicated bikes.
Old 01-27-19, 10:42 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,462 Times in 1,130 Posts
You could also just replace the rear derailleur with a spring-loaded chain tensioner. You'll see this mod on a lot of CX and Mt Bikes that are converted to single speed; Surly Singleator, Paul Melvin, etc. Lots of choices.
Brent
Old 01-27-19, 11:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The single pulley tensioner is my solution for the next up bike/frame. An IGH with disks and a dynamo ft hub. But I'm not racing or riding at max force over rough stuff on it, or I hope not. Andy
Old 01-28-19, 04:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by davei1980
Thanks all.

I had the idea this was one of those topics that, if you have to ask, the answer is no.
I contemplated making this response but it's not helpful. And with adequate preparation and study, you could do it. It's a significant effort though and more expensive than it looks. I would say the rear dropouts are one of the things that new builders have the most trouble with, and adding the complication of having an existing rear triangle makes it significantly more difficult to do right. And in the end you need a paint job, which is expensive.
Just to add some color - I am looking for an affordable frame with canti brakes for ss cx racing but also compatible with 700c rims (I have a set I want to use) and horizontal dropouts so I can easily put back to a geared bike in case I hate racing ss or make it a touring bike in case I hate racing period (currently I only have my ss commuter, nothing for longer rides)
Seems like everything that surly makes has horizontal drops and Salsa has a lot of bikes that have adjustable dropouts. For canti, you are talking used or old stock for the most part, I think. OTOH, my LBS has some canti frames hanging from the walls. I suspect they would be willing to discount nowadays.
Old 01-28-19, 10:44 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I contemplated making this response but it's not helpful. And with adequate preparation and study, you could do it. It's a significant effort though and more expensive than it looks. I would say the rear dropouts are one of the things that new builders have the most trouble with, and adding the complication of having an existing rear triangle makes it significantly more difficult to do right. And in the end you need a paint job, which is expensive.

Seems like everything that surly makes has horizontal drops and Salsa has a lot of bikes that have adjustable dropouts. For canti, you are talking used or old stock for the most part, I think. OTOH, my LBS has some canti frames hanging from the walls. I suspect they would be willing to discount nowadays.
Salsa/Surly frames have crossed my mind although just a matter of ponying up real $ as opposed to catching lightning in a bottle on a cheap old crmo frame meeting my specs. Waiting to see what falls in my lap now until the weather warms up and urgency to build sets in
Old 01-28-19, 10:45 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The single pulley tensioner is my solution for the next up bike/frame. An IGH with disks and a dynamo ft hub. But I'm not racing or riding at max force over rough stuff on it, or I hope not. Andy
I will probably wind up going the tensioner route on a standard vert dropout frame OR I just discovered Origin8 and a bunch of others make derailleur hangers for track type dropouts.

I think my ideal frame at this point is a SS frame and if I decide to convert to touring go IGH or with an add on derailleur hanger
Old 01-28-19, 10:47 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by obrentharris
You could also just replace the rear derailleur with a spring-loaded chain tensioner. You'll see this mod on a lot of CX and Mt Bikes that are converted to single speed; Surly Singleator, Paul Melvin, etc. Lots of choices.
Brent
If I can find a frame for a cheap price meeting all of my criteria except horizontal dropouts then I think I will go this route.

Maybe a sign: guy just posted on craigslist bike parts a tensioner for $10. Been resisting that route but maybe it's time to just call it.
Old 01-28-19, 11:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I will probably wind up going the tensioner route on a standard vert dropout frame OR I just discovered Origin8 and a bunch of others make derailleur hangers for track type dropouts.

I think my ideal frame at this point is a SS frame and if I decide to convert to touring go IGH or with an add on derailleur hanger
If you must take a torch to a frame during this project adding a der mounting hanger/eye is far easier and less paint destructive then replacing drop outs. Andy
Old 01-28-19, 11:47 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
On any flavor of race bike that isn't used on a Velodrome fast reliable wheel changes can make the difference between DFL, DNF or a more respectable finish.
Vertical rear dropouts are the easiest, quickest and most unlikely to bodge a rear wheel change on, particularly under the pressure of an in-race wheel change.
Many of us warm up on the "B" wheels and install the race wheels before the start. Screwing that up is about the last thing up need when your class is being called to line up.
Reliable and light In That Order make for a good 'Cross bike in any racing class. Put a tensioner on vertical dropouts and have at it.

-Bandera
Old 01-28-19, 01:11 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Bandera
On any flavor of race bike that isn't used on a Velodrome fast reliable wheel changes can make the difference between DFL, DNF or a more respectable finish.
Vertical rear dropouts are the easiest, quickest and most unlikely to bodge a rear wheel change on, particularly under the pressure of an in-race wheel change.
Many of us warm up on the "B" wheels and install the race wheels before the start. Screwing that up is about the last thing up need when your class is being called to line up.
Reliable and light In That Order make for a good 'Cross bike in any racing class. Put a tensioner on vertical dropouts and have at it.

-Bandera
That's actually really good advice and something this former NASCAR NW Series pit crew member hadn't considered until now.... no worries about 'centering' the wheel in the frame or anything like that....
Old 01-28-19, 01:45 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
That's actually really good advice and something this former NASCAR NW Series pit crew member hadn't considered until now.... no worries about 'centering' the wheel in the frame or anything like that....
On machines w/ mudguards fitted dealing w/ a flats-fix on the roadside having vertical dropouts makes the process much easier, reliable and clean as well.
Nothing like getting your tube changed, inflated and tire properly seated only to have to deflate it because with a horizontal dropout an inflated tire contacts the mudguard at the front of the dropout and will not allow the wheel to be reinstalled.
"Uh, got a CO2 cartridge I can borrow......"

-Bandera
Old 01-28-19, 04:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Getting a frame with a broken right dropout and having a set of horizontal dropouts that's what I did..

30 years ago..

I could braze , do metalworking, and had built a frame from scratch with modest access to tools , , assistance and materials.. ..

Yes a spring-loaded chain tension-er is good ... I have 2 IGH bikes doing that..

You aren't, unstated , wanting to do another fixie conversion ?

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-28-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 10:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

If you look for a bike with sliders, they are out there used. I think that's what I would do, I really dislike the other ways of taking up slack.
Old 01-29-19, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My 2 Chain Tensioners are both on folding bikes with a hinge point behind the BB shell ..
Old 01-30-19, 11:25 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by fietsbob
You aren't, unstated , wanting to do another fixie conversion ?
No on the fixie - I have no interest in riding fixed gear.

I have two bikes at the present - a Specialized Langster with track forks and drop bars set up as a SS/Freewheel which I use for everyday commuting and an old Nishiki plain-guage/hi tensile bike which was a 10 speed but is now a SS/Freewheel with CX tires, dual pivot brakes and MTB handlebars. This bike is not fast or terribly efficient but a ton of fun to ride with my kids.

I just got rid of a SS folding bike (my college kid needed more reliable transportation than her car so she got it for free, awesome campus bike, actually) and I just sold my CX frame because I determined it would be too tall (who knew the BB shell on a CX frame rides higher than a track frame??) lol

The bike I wish to build is a SS/CX bike which I can easily put back to geared in case I hate racing it, I can just use it for a touring/weekend bike for longer rides. I plan on running a freehub body with a single cog which would be easy to slip on an 8+ speed cassette in the event I wanted to switch back (no re-dishing, etc)

Last edited by davei1980; 01-30-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 11:48 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Dave- At least one of the greats in modern building (and is well known for his CX team) has said that the BB drop doesn't need to be less on a CX bike, the taller tier will lift up the height anyway. But with a fixed gear ride (and I know that's not what you plan) the not being able to time one's pedal stroke and terrain stuff suggest less drop is a good idea.

As to folding bikes- mine have all been 3 speeds. I choose the high gear (3rd) to be my flat land steady riding ratio. This way the two lower gears get me up and over the hills (since many folders seem to lack a certain efficiency). Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.