Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Should I use flat-bar or TT brake levers on bullhorn bar?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 05:29 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I'm switching to bullhorn bars on my commuter, and am curious about people's preferences for brake lever type.
My bullhorn bars have a horizontal straight section, so I'll have hand positions equivalent to bar-tops and brake-hoods on a drop bar. I could use interrupter levers on the flats, and/or TT levers to brake from the hands-forward position. Pics below show bullhorn set up with each type of lever.
The bike is a singlespeed, so no interactions with where to place shifters.

I haven't used a bullhorn bar before. I'm used to braking from the hoods while on a drop bar, and braking from the flats on a flat bar with old mtb bar-ends (setup on a prev commuter, and my singlespeed mtb).

I'm mostly curious to hear about people's experiences and preferences with where to place brake levers. And of course I could do both (since I'd be using interrupter levers on the flat part anyway) but that's some extra setup hassle.

Old 01-28-19, 06:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Maybe you should try both. It's a small investment considering the usage you'll get out of the setup.

You get more braking power if you can shift your body weight backwards on the bike, so if you have to choose, maybe you want the levers closer to the saddle. Then again, on fast descents, you want maximum control and don't necessarily need maximum braking, meaning you'd want the levers forward.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-29-19, 02:36 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Flat bar with flat bar levers and bar ends.

Brake levers located as lateral as possible on the flat bar. For maximum braking power and steering torque.

Position 2 is my general purpose position. I can move to 1 and 3 easily from here.

Position 3 is for cruising.

Position 1 is for hard braking and turning.

4 and 5 are alternate positions. Seldom used.

Last edited by hermanchauw; 01-29-19 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 03:45 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Have you checked which levers fit the bar?

MTB, City bikes, cruisers, three speeds, etc, usually have a 7/8” bar (22.2 mm). Drop bars and other road bike shapes are usually 15/16” (23.8 mm). It's maddening, but there's a long tradition for it.

Anyway, your bullhorn bar is probably 23.8 mm and you probably can't use MTB levers.
Old 01-29-19, 12:05 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
In my experience most casual riders are on the flats most of the time and use the interrupter levers.

I'm not 100% sure about how the TT levers are cabled, but you may be able to use both at the same time if you wanted.
Old 01-29-19, 12:47 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Looks like the TT levers might give you more control when braking. Personally, I don't like the feeling of having my hands on the tops too close to the stem. And since I'm offerring my personal opinion, both setups are ugly. Sorry.
Old 01-29-19, 01:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Looks like the TT levers might give you more control when braking. Personally, I don't like the feeling of having my hands on the tops too close to the stem. And since I'm offerring my personal opinion, both setups are ugly. Sorry.
There is a certain appeal to having an ugly commuter bike. Sometimes I want mine to be as ugly as possible.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-29-19, 01:27 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
There is a certain appeal to having an ugly commuter bike. Sometimes I want mine to be as ugly as possible.
Fair enough. I mean, if you and I agreed on everything, we wouldn't have anything to talk about...
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 01-29-19, 03:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Should you be compelled to do what this forum says .. ?

If the Reverse lever has a housing run under the tape , You can use Both.. '

In Fact You are using the mid bar Brake lever more as intended if running the cable uninterrupted , through the lever

and spreading the 2 sections of housing apart to apply the brake ..
Old 01-29-19, 05:51 PM
TallRider

Interrupter levers (as pictured in my OP) fit on 23.8mm bars, and are what I would put on the flat portion of this bar.
This would allow me to run both brake levers simultaneously if I want.

I'm mostly curious to hear about people's experiences and preferences with where to place brake levers.
If you have experience with bullhorn bars, where do you prefer brake levers, and why?
Old 01-29-19, 07:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Shimano makes a group set called Metrea that includes bullhorn brifters. They don’t market it in the States but you can find it from EU sites. Might be fun to try.
Old 01-30-19, 10:17 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by TallRider
Interrupter levers (as pictured in my OP) fit on 23.8mm bars, and are what I would put on the flat portion of this bar.
This would allow me to run both brake levers simultaneously if I want.

I'm mostly curious to hear about people's experiences and preferences with where to place brake levers.
If you have experience with bullhorn bars, where do you prefer brake levers, and why?
I've done both (riding fixed gear)

For my commuter bike, I'm more upright, so I use the interrupter levers. I'm mostly on the horns when accelerating hard from a stop.
For my track bike, I'm more aero, riding faster/harder and riding out on the horns, so I use the TT levers.

It all depends where your hands are going to spend most of their time.
Old 01-30-19, 11:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I don't use your chosen bull horn* bar, but I did get 23.8 clamp levers to fit on my C X bikes drop bars ,
there they shoulder up against the center sleeve of Nitto made bars..

I did use a bullhorn aero bar combination, a bent single tube type , 30+ years ago, but only had the reverse levers in the ends..
interrupter levers did not exist, back then..

So, used both , but not on the same bike ..
Old 01-30-19, 06:13 PM
TallRider

Originally Posted by chas58
I've done both (riding fixed gear)
For my commuter bike, I'm more upright, so I use the interrupter levers. I'm mostly on the horns when accelerating hard from a stop.
For my track bike, I'm more aero, riding faster/harder and riding out on the horns, so I use the TT levers.
It all depends where your hands are going to spend most of their time.
Thanks - that's the kind of comment I was looking for when I posted. Maybe I'd find more people with opinions-from-experience in the SS/fixed-gear forum.
I'll probably put interrupter levers on first and ride for a couple weeks without wrapping the bars with tape (it's gloves season anyway) and see if I find myself wanting the levers for hands in the forward position.
Old 01-31-19, 09:22 PM
grout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I converted a MTB bike to bulhorns so used a 22.2mm bar to fit the stem and brakes (wanted cheap so saved on new levers). I used the flat bar brakes positioned on the horns. They may not look great but they work just fine (I don't like the idea of having them by the stem...would feel weird). I'm tempted to upgrade but haven't seen a reason to.
Old 01-31-19, 10:03 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I rode bullhorn bars for a few years, and always preferred the TT levers (I did not use interrupters), as in the second picture. Having come from drop bars, I found that the most comfortable hand position was forward; I never really used the flat part of the bar.
Old 02-03-19, 06:41 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I've had both on my daily commuter. I started with regular Origin 8 bullhorns, with a rack on the rear of the bike, then I ditched the rack for aesthetic reasons, and also switched out the regular bulls to Origin 8 pursuit bars - similar, but different.
My bullhorns had TT bar-end levers, and the pursuit bars had the flat-bar style breaks.
To be perfectly honest, neither was perfect.
On my bullhorns, when I needed to break I had to lean forward a lot more - and this was uncomfortable sometimes when slowing for an intersection - and was harder for immediacy. I liked to ride on the forward bend, or between that and the end of the horn.
On the pursuit bards, I liked to ride about the same positions - but the brakes were too close to the stem, making it hard to hang on when track standing at a light or stop sign - and getting going again was awkward because the grip stances was so narrow (I think someone mentioned that already.

Anyway, I think my TT bar-end levers would have worked better if I had found a better set of bullhorns that weren't as long. The Origin8 ones had a long reach - but they were all I could find/afford at the time. I enjoyed them though, and they looked good. I now have regular drop bars & brake hoods/levers on it now. I find it suits my needs just right.

Here's some pics of the iterations:

Current setup:
Old 02-04-19, 12:25 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I'm very tempted to give bullhorns a shot just for something different.
Old 02-05-19, 01:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by acidfast7
I'm very tempted to give bullhorns a shot just for something different.
I've had them and liked them a lot. I like variation in reach but don't need variation in drop, as bending down is hard for me. I'm even tempted to put them on my road racing bike, which might make it ugly but comfortable.

Old 02-07-19, 05:40 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I am biased towards flat bar style shifters, mainly because I like the integrated brake/shifter combo and long pull leverage. My hand position is near the elbows and I brake with my middle,index, and pinky fingers from the underside of the bars. I tried the tektro reverse brake levers, but didn't like them as much and the reach was a little too far for me.