Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

2018 Industry Figures: 78% Increase in E-Bike Sales$: All Other Categories in Decline

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

2018 Industry Figures: 78% Increase in E-Bike Sales$: All Other Categories in Decline

Old 02-01-19, 10:19 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/stud...s#.XFRtlS2ZMy5

Huge growth once again in e-bike sales: 78% increase in revenue YOY (4% increase overall for the industry).

All other categories showed a decline in revenue YOY, except road and this is only because of the growth of gravel bikes which are still lumped together with road bikes. I'm not sure if they should be.

In summary,

1. huge increase in e-bike sales

2. significant increase in gravel,

3. decline in road, mtb, and hybrid sales

4. bmx sales up slightly but it's the smallest segment of bike sales

5. Overall unit sales are down 10%

6. Average wholesale price of a bike: $467; Average wholesale price of an e-bike: $2K
Old 02-01-19, 10:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Time for N+1 from the LBS I gift beer to every year in return for special treatment.
Old 02-01-19, 10:28 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Time for N+1 from the LBS I gift beer to every year in return for special treatment.
Ducati ebikes are available now, so the time is nigh.

Old 02-01-19, 07:30 PM
radroad

What's amazing is that this 78% increase YOY came even with a 25% tariff imposed on the entire industry! Imagine what sales would look like without the tariff!

The guys at radpowerbikes even LOWERED their prices $200 across the board today to return to pre-tariff pricing!

Old 02-01-19, 07:49 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Perhaps this belongs in the e-bike forum..not enough attention lately?
Old 02-01-19, 07:51 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
What's amazing is that this 78% increase YOY came even with a 25% tariff imposed on the entire industry! Imagine what sales would look like without the tariff!
E-bike market is interesting. It's getting misrepresented in various ways, your post is a great example, and is fascinating to watch. The protectionism Europe is undertaking against Chinese e-bike dumping has been much more accepted by Americans than tariffs in the US on the same. Not unexpected as much of the political divide is fueled by a vocal low-information minority seeking to influence others.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...hinese-e-bikes

A 13-month EU investigation concluded that Chinese e-bike manufacturers benefit from unfair state subsidies including preferential financing, the ability to buy motors and batteries from other Chinese suppliers such as Bafang at below-market prices, tax breaks, government grants and cheap access to land.
Duties vary for several specified manufacturers. Giant Electric Vehicle, a division of Taiwan's Giant Bicycles based in Kunshan, China, was assessed a duty of 24.6 percent. Duties for other companies include 73.4 percent for Bodo Vehicle Group; 18.8 percent for Jinhua Vision Industry; and 48.1 percent for Yada Technology Group.

Duties for several other Chinese e-bike manufacturers were set at 33.4 percent, but some will be required to pay 79.3 percent.

The EU said the influx of low-priced Chinese e-bikes has kept European producers from reaping the full benefits of Europe's booming e-bike market.
I think tariffs on e-bikes and e-bike accessories should be significantly higher. Luxury goods that are booming in popularity are an excellent tariff-bearer and can benefit other industries such as non-motorized bicycles.
Old 02-01-19, 09:23 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
E-bike market is interesting. It's getting misrepresented in various ways, your post is a great example, and is fascinating to watch. The protectionism Europe is undertaking against Chinese e-bike dumping has been much more accepted by Americans than tariffs in the US on the same. Not unexpected as much of the political divide is fueled by a vocal low-information minority seeking to influence others.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...hinese-e-bikes

I think tariffs on e-bikes and e-bike accessories should be significantly higher. Luxury goods that are booming in popularity are an excellent tariff-bearer and can benefit other industries such as non-motorized bicycles.
that'd require amending & putting thought into refinement for such tariffs...
Old 02-01-19, 11:22 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Ducati ebikes are available now, so the time is nigh.

With an MSRP of ~$7100 USD, that's actually the cheapest new motor vehicle in Ducati's lineup.
Old 02-01-19, 11:58 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Nailed it
Old 02-02-19, 02:16 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
E-biking is becoming general cycling.

More so than Road biking here, now our hire bikes are electric.
Old 02-02-19, 08:11 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I do see more and more floor space being dedicated to the sale of e-bikes at my local shops. Although I've seen an uptick of e-bikes on the road, it doesn't seem like it's enough to justify such a push in sales effort. To me they are really more of a luxury item. I don't get the impression that people who purchase them take them out on a regular basis.
Old 02-02-19, 08:18 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

nailed it
+1
Old 02-02-19, 08:31 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Don't worry, these electric bike thingies are a compete waste of time and won't last. They do everything a bike should not, as in use non-renewable energy for no benefiit to the planet whatsoever. I'm comfortable for people over 70, once they've been vetted and passed OK by their Drs, to be granted a permit to use these ill-begotten means of transport, but, apart from that, what's the point? What worries me more are the scooters and other two wheel devices you see on the pavements everywhere these days, weaving in and out of the pedestrian traffic. These devices should require a licence, and should either be restricted to the roads or cycle lanes.

The other point is, of course, that disposing of these things creates yet another pollutant we could well do without, in the form of the batteries.
Old 02-02-19, 09:47 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
With an MSRP of ~$7100 USD, that's actually the cheapest new motor vehicle in Ducati's lineup.
Well said.
Old 02-02-19, 09:54 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by avole
Don't worry, these electric bike thingies are a compete waste of time and won't last. They do everything a bike should not, as in use non-renewable energy for no benefiit to the planet whatsoever. I'm comfortable for people over 70, once they've been vetted and passed OK by their Drs, to be granted a permit to use these ill-begotten means of transport, but, apart from that, what's the point? What worries me more are the scooters and other two wheel devices you see on the pavements everywhere these days, weaving in and out of the pedestrian traffic. These devices should require a licence, and should either be restricted to the roads or cycle lanes.

The other point is, of course, that disposing of these things creates yet another pollutant we could well do without, in the form of the batteries.
I disagree with your first sentence. As long as there are folks out there who look for the “easy way out,” sales of e-bikes will continue to soar.

on related news, the sales of artery-clogging, diabetes-inducing fast food continues to do well around the world.

It is a wonderful world we are living in, ain’t it?
Old 02-02-19, 10:41 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
gym for ebikers
Old 02-02-19, 04:00 PM
radroad

A 10% unit drop in sales YOY is very concerning. When you factor in population growth, it's more like 12-13% per capita.

OTOH, if e-bikes can maintain an annual sales increase of approximately $50 mil, they can overtake mtb's as the industry's sales leaders in just 5-6 years. Sooner than that if they can maintain anywhere near 78% annual increases.

The industry is clearly moving in two directions: huge expansion of the e-bike market, significant decline in other main sectors: mtb, road, fitness bikes.

Several direct to consumer lines of e-bikes have had to rent enormous warehouses to keep up with demand, and several are struggling to keep up with demand, often selling out pre-sales.
Old 02-02-19, 04:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
I'm not surprised about this. The bike industry seems to be a boom and bust industry.

Open a new segment... and BOOM

Say you have a model 2015, "everything bike". Carbon everything... top of the line...
What would make you go out and buy a 2019 bike?

11-speed really has pretty much pushed aside 10-speed, and has been making huge inroads into the 9-speed market.

Now, I'd encourage a person to reconsider that $5,000 to $10,000 bike purchase. Look at getting more bang for the buck in the used market.

But, that used market isn't picked up by the industry analysis.

And, the used market is already getting saturated with:
  • 70's and 80's steel road bikes.
  • 90's steel road bikes.
  • 90's and 2000's aluminum road bikes.
  • 80's mountain bikes.
  • 90's and 2000's mountain bikes.
  • 2010 DISC mountain bikes.
  • Carbon Fiber road bikes.

The industry is pushing new technology into mixed markets to the point where Walmart is selling a $400 carbon fiber bike.

For those tinkerers, there is nothing that I need to pay full retail on. And, we're seeing used prices crash due to over-saturation of manufacturers pushing millions of bikes into an already narrow market.

DISC ROAD BIKES?

E-Bikes and Drop bar Gravel/Cross bikes are the market areas that aren't over-saturated yet, but that will come very quickly.

A drop in new retail sales may not indicate a drop in use.
Old 02-02-19, 05:35 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
gym for ebikers
That’s funny. I like it. But be careful, the OP is gonna come hunting for you.
Old 02-02-19, 07:53 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
This article is confusing to the point of being un-informative because it mixes dollar sales and unit sales. Granted, this company probably sells a more comprehensive data summary, but we don't have access to it. Still, reading between the lines...

Adding e-bikes to the mix contributed to the higher selling price. E-bike sales were up $54 million from the year prior, a 78 percent increase. The average wholesale price was $2,033.

$54m is 78 percent of $69m, so e-bike sales went from $69m to $123m. At $2033/unit, $123m is 61k units. Assuming that retail prices are higher than wholesale prices, it means fewer than that number were sold in 2018.

In 2018, those sales totaled $1.112 billion... The number of bikes sold was 2.07 million, down 10 percent from 2.3 million.

That's a loss of 230k units, at $541/unit.

So the take-home message for me is that in dollar terms, e-bikes are important for the industry because people are willing to pay more for them, but in unit terms, they are not saving the industry from an overall decline in unit bike sales.
Old 02-02-19, 11:35 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
Moved to Ebikes from General
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-03-19, 08:43 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Moved to Ebikes from General
Thanks!
Old 02-03-19, 10:06 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Thanks, it seems any time e-bikes are mentioned, the, "you should just drive," crowd comes out of the woodwork.
Old 02-03-19, 12:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Personally prefer that people ride ebikes if they can instead of driving. OTOH, ebike threads belong in this forum
Old 02-03-19, 02:14 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
My brother bought a used, non running Ducati in 1966. It was $150. We got it running well enough that I still have memories of staring death in the face, Whew,.

I'm not doing my part for bike sales. Last year I motorized two bikes. One was a $150 minivello from Nashbar. The other was a Schwinn I rescued from someone's garbage. (I meant garbage not garage). The first one I spent under $500 for motor kit and battery. The second was $170 for motor kit and a $70 set of batteries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.