Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

How small can I get my folding bike? (due to luggage size rules)

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-03-19, 08:21 PM
Mini1976

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking at purchasing a Mini folding bike (similar to a Dahon Speed P8) to go on a trip around New Zealand. The first leg of my trip involves a coach ride where the maximum luggage size is 150cm (Length+Width+Height). The fold size of the bike is given as about 180cm.

So I wondered if I was to do things like remove the wheels and seat post, how much smaller the bike might be, or are there other ways of reducing the total size.

I'm allowed two bags, so any parts removed can go in a second bag.

Thanks for any advice
Old 02-03-19, 09:01 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
My old Tobukaeru has a similar fold and wheel size(20 in.) as yours.
If you remove the wheels; might be able to squeeze everything in 1 standard size suitcase:
Old 02-03-19, 09:50 PM
Mini1976

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks 1nterceptor that is exactly what i was thinking could be done, Would you happen to know (or be able to measure for me) the size of that suitcase.

Thanks
Old 02-03-19, 10:17 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I got that suitcase specifically for that bike. When I switched to a different bike(Brompton) and bike luggage(cardboard box);
I got rid of both the Tobukaeru and that suitcase. But I think it's still being sold. Google Samsonite Winfield 2 28" Hardside Spinner Luggage.
Oh just realized; I had the dimensions in my video description: Dimensions: 28.0" x 19.0" x 13.0"

Another bike(Citizen Tokyo) in the same suitcase:

2013 Citizen Tokyo in a suitcase by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 02-03-19, 10:24 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
By taking the seatpost out, wheels off, letting air out and detaching the pedals and the derailleur I managed to squeeze each of our Dahons into a B&W Bompton suitcase, right at the border of the airline dimensions. I put one wheel into the other suitcase and some stuff from the other suitcase into B&W because it was the most straightforward. I suspect that if I worked harder I could keep both wheels in B&W. One critical move was turning the fork backwards, if I remember correctly.
Old 02-06-19, 08:19 AM
pibach

Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fork usually can be fit in between the rear triangle - (works for all Dahons I know).
Old 02-07-19, 08:00 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Most bikes will require some disassembly, and not all will fit in a airline-standard suitcase, but there are a lot that will.

Old 02-07-19, 08:02 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Here is a video that may help you:
Old 02-07-19, 08:17 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts

These are from my Bike Froday's owners manual and include the bike in its case. Roger
Old 02-07-19, 10:00 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
My "Proof of Concept" using a freecycle checked luggage with a Vilano Urbana. Testing is to see what steps I'll need. I didn't go full tilt like deflating tires or add padding.

Old 02-07-19, 09:13 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
As a followup, what I find is that I'm gonna need two bags, if only for helmet, miscellaneous and probably put both wheels in second bag. Also, the pedals have to come off. Good luck to ya.
Old 02-08-19, 07:23 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
In USA the standard airline size limit is 62 inches (sum of length, width and thickness), which is 157 cm. And that has set somewhat of a standard for other airlines too. Thus, that is a common size for luggage. I suspect if you show up for transport with a case that meets that criteria, they probably will accept it.
Old 09-08-19, 08:24 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Hi Mini1976, how did things go with Intercity Coaches and your folder?
Old 09-09-19, 05:41 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
...what I find is that I'm gonna need two bags, if only for helmet...
Note to flying cyclists: a helmet is a hat. Hats are clothing, not carry-ons. Put it on your head & wear it if necessary and as appropriate from check-in through boarding.
Old 09-09-19, 07:47 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini1976
I am looking at purchasing a Mini folding bike (similar to a Dahon Speed P8) to go on a trip around New Zealand. The first leg of my trip involves a coach ride where the maximum luggage size is 150cm (Length+Width+Height). The fold size of the bike is given as about 180cm.

So I wondered if I was to do things like remove the wheels and seat post, how much smaller the bike might be, or are there other ways of reducing the total size.

I'm allowed two bags, so any parts removed can go in a second bag.

Thanks for any advice
I did New Zealand last year (South Island) with a Tyrell IVE.
Did not encounter any problems with the bike on coaches and I just paid the extra ($10 iirc) for it.
I also met a guy using a fill sized surley and he too had no problems with the coach.
Of course he had to dismantle his front and rear wheels.

Some picts of NZ here (also some bike picts)
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeietyN
Old 09-09-19, 08:17 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Up in the North Island the coaches are increasingly double deckers with less baggage allowance as standard sadly. Most Intercity services out of Auckland now limit you to two medium bags and no full-size bike annoyingly.
Old 09-10-19, 12:57 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddleman
Up in the North Island the coaches are increasingly double deckers with less baggage allowance as standard sadly. Most Intercity services out of Auckland now limit you to two medium bags and no full-size bike annoyingly.
Wow!
Thanks for the latest info and thats really a bummer...
I was playing with the idea of doing North Island.
Interesting that they'd come to such a decision since NZ is highly promoted as a country for outdoor tourism/activities.
Old 09-10-19, 01:02 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Yeah I know, the reality and the image doesn’t quite align like it should here. There are some coach routes that still take full size bikes but you’ll need to check the Intercity website for full details. Annoyingly only Auckland buses don’t have bike racks - most other cities do. The Northern Explorer train between Auckland and Wellington is bike friendly, as are the local Auckland and Wellington services. I intend to try to take a 20” folder down to the Auckland terminal and see if it’s in reality small enough to go on one of the double deck services sometime soon.
Old 09-10-19, 09:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
I intend to try to take a 20” folder down to the Auckland terminal and see if it’s in reality small enough to go on one of the double-deck services sometime soon.
Brompton's got you covered.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...explore-436623
Old 09-12-19, 09:20 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
you dont need brompton to go small.
even a 20" folder will go small with dissassamble.
taking wheels, crankset and derrailer off it will go impressive small.
dont forget to take rack off
Old 10-28-19, 02:13 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Yeah I know, the reality and the image doesn’t quite align like it should here. There are some coach routes that still take full size bikes but you’ll need to check the Intercity website for full details. Annoyingly only Auckland buses don’t have bike racks - most other cities do. The Northern Explorer train between Auckland and Wellington is bike friendly, as are the local Auckland and Wellington services. I intend to try to take a 20” folder down to the Auckland terminal and see if it’s in reality small enough to go on one of the double deck services sometime soon.
Update - the Intercity bus website has become a lot clearer around which route takes full-size bikes and which doesn’t. Unfortunately the staff on the Auckland terminal said at the end of the day it’s at the whims of the driver. I’ll poke head office and see what they say. As for folding bikes - they were a bit unsure of the concept until I showed them mine and they they seemed pretty relaxed about the idea of it being in a bag or a box and treated as just another piece of baggage...
Old 10-28-19, 03:54 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
You might want to remove the hanger/derailleur and tape it in between the stays to prevent them from getting bent. I would recommend a hard case. Even a cheap one from ebay would be a little more impact resistant than a fabric suitcase. I've only used the original cardboard boxes in the past but I don't recommend it. They get dropped and stuff gets damaged. The hinge lever got bend inside out once, which would require the box to be dropped from very high.

As someone else mentioned, using 2 suitcases might be better, since you'll probably need a 2nd one for your panniers. You could use a medium sized suitcase for your frame, seatpost. And a larger suitcase for your panniers and wheels. You can then buy those cheap foam noodles that are used to wrap around metal poles on trampolines, and wrap your posts/stays/tubes with them. A layer of foam sheet between the wheels could help them from getting scratched or damaged.

Also remember that security may open the bag and take stuff out for inspection, so you'll need to wrap the parts in a way that makes it more likely for a stranger to be put them back inside the suitcase the same way you did it. Like using zip ties to secure the seatpost to the frame, the 2 halves of the frame, the fork to the frame. And if you put the 2 wheels in a separate suitcase, you could stick the foam sheet in between, then zip tie the 2 wheels so that they don't separate, so that the foam will not fall out if someone removes the wheels for inspection, and the axle will always fit in between the gap in the spokes. A bad thing that could happen if not zip tied together is someone taking them out and then putting them back in with the axles directly over a spoke.

Also, if you are going to put other objects in the suitcase with the frame, you might want to use fork spacers to keep them from getting bent. There are some cheap $8-10 ones on the internet, marketed for storage purposes, but they're usually 130/135mm convertablee for the rear, and 100/110mm for the front. They can't be trimmed. So you could simply go and buy a M5x100 or up to M8 rods, 4 washers and nuts and simply stick that in between the front fork. Or the cheap original OEM dahon hubs are $12 on ebay and weigh only 75g. You could get one and use it as a spacer. I have a new dahon hub that I got from Aliexpress just for testing purposes. I also have an old dahon wheel from an old bike which can't be used anymore because the bore hole for the cartridge bearings widened and so the bearings slip from side to side. I could probably cut the spokes, remove the hub and use it as a spacer.

I've also seen some people in this forum using a cardboard tube with a thin sheet of MDF board or plate glued to the ends of the tube, stuck in between the rear triangle of the frame, to prevent the sides of the suitcase from collapsing and crushing the frame. I've seen some cheap cardboard mailer tubes on Amazon for $2 that are 1 or 2 meters long. If the suitcase is 30cm thick you could take 2 tubes, cut them each into 3-4 pieces and simply strap all 6 or 8 pieces together into a bundle and stick it in the rear triangle.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 10-28-19 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 03:58 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Security staff on a coach journey? Bro, this is New Zealand!

All you need to worry about here is keeping the driver happy by not bringing on luggage that’s a) massively oversize or b) smelly (anybody for muttonbird).
Old 10-28-19, 04:36 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Oh, I thought he was flying.
If it's just a long distance bus, I can't remember which country, I think it was New Zealand, I simply folded the bike and put it in the undercarriage. I have lots of bungie cords, so I tied the folded bike to the structure of the bus. I have these elastic bands with a quick release button, I wrap them on the brake lever to engage the brakes so that the wheels do not roll.
Old 10-29-19, 04:40 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Whether you fly, take the bus, take the Subway, or just fold it up and take it in to a restaurant. It’s hard to beat a Brompton, for folding size and the fast folding convenience. My wife and I also have four newer folding Dahons and like them for what they are, but they still are not a Brompton. Bromptons are a amazing design right down to their tool kit that fits inside their frame or the stuff bag that hangs off the back of the seat so you can bag your bike before entering a higher end store or restaurant.

Have Brompton will travel :}