Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1987 Schwinn Prologue

Old 02-05-19, 08:35 PM
Hazardous_uno

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1987 Schwinn Prologue *FOR SALE*

Red and white 1987 Schwinn prologue
tange prestige badge double butted tube
shimano 600 group set
cinelli 64-40 drop bars
bontrager saddle
Nisi mixer rims
alfredo binda toe straps*Been just sitting as a decor piece on my wall . Would rather have it go to someone who will show its value and the love it deserves *

Last edited by Hazardous_uno; 07-26-19 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Update *
Old 02-05-19, 11:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
@Hazardous_uno's album:

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/495093
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/12736211

Old 02-06-19, 06:02 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Where are you located?
Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 02-06-19, 07:01 AM
Hazardous_uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrevvy
Where are you located?
Washington state
Old 02-06-19, 07:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
This bike will command a higher price in Seattle than it will in the eastern part of the state. I'd value it at right around $300. I'd be tempted to sell the binda straps separately though but that may not be worth it if you have to buy new ones to replace them.
Old 02-06-19, 08:02 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Lower the saddle, rotate bars so tops are horizontal, replace lever hoods, and thoroughly clean up the bike. Take drive side pictures with a neutral background, outdoors. As it sits, $300. Cleaned up and pristine, quite a bit more.

Part out, you could get $300 for the frameset, less fees of course.

Lots of variation in WA State location. Seattle = good market; eastern WA = mediocre market. If you are not in Seattle metro area, not sure you could get $300 for the bike in its present dirty state.

Now as a buyer, I love flat tires and dirt. I've bought several Prologues in that condition for $150 or less.

The Prologue was a great bike, but lesser known for sure. Kind of an orphan. In smaller markets, it may be difficult to find a buyer that knows the model.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-06-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 11:35 AM
Hazardous_uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This bike will command a higher price in Seattle than it will in the eastern part of the state. I'd value it at right around $300. I'd be tempted to sell the binda straps separately though but that may not be worth it if you have to buy new ones to replace them.
thank you very much . Most likely going to hold on to it for a while just wanted to know what it’s worth at it’s current state
Old 02-06-19, 11:41 AM
Hazardous_uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Lower the saddle, rotate bars so tops are horizontal, replace lever hoods, and thoroughly clean up the bike. Take drive side pictures with a neutral background, outdoors. As it sits, $300. Cleaned up and pristine, quite a bit more.

Part out, you could get $300 for the frameset, less fees of course.

Lots of variation in WA State location. Seattle = good market; eastern WA = mediocre market. If you are not in Seattle metro area, not sure you could get $300 for the bike in its present dirty state.

Now as a buyer, I love flat tires and dirt. I've bought several Prologues in that condition for $150 or less.

The Prologue was a great bike, but lesser known for sure. Kind of an orphan. In smaller markets, it may be difficult to find a buyer that knows the model.

thanks a lot defenitely fell in love with it at first sight even being dirty lol . And can’t argue much since I purchased it at a thrift store for a complete steal . Going to hold on to it and restore it . Not to sure on the size yet or even the rim size so ima need to do my research and find the correct replacement parts because I forsure will change out the seat post, , lever covers tires tubes and chain soon and the Alfredo toes
Old 02-06-19, 01:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Hazardous_uno

thanks a lot defenitely fell in love with it at first sight even being dirty lol . And can’t argue much since I purchased it at a thrift store for a complete steal . Going to hold on to it and restore it . Not to sure on the size yet or even the rim size so ima need to do my research and find the correct replacement parts because I forsure will change out the seat post, , lever covers tires tubes and chain soon and the Alfredo toes
The wheel size is the easy part. 700c.

What I can't tell is whether your tires are the typical "Clincher" tires with hooks and beads like car tires, or "Tubular" that are made like a cylinder, and glued onto the rim. Both styles work, although the tubulars have fallen out of favor for non-racing.

I'm not sure why you would need to change out the seatpost. It is simple enough to raise or lower the seatpost.

How tall are you?

The "lever covers" are called "hoods".

I think these may be your hoods.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-BL-...k/372480628167
SEE BELOW, APPARENTLY THESE ARE FOR LATER MODEL 600 BRAKES, AND DON'T WORK WELL

Shimano made a few levers marked "600". But, these should fit, hopefully.

The chain appears to be in good condition. Lacking lube. But, the real way to check the chain is to measure the length. 12", 1/16" or so of "stretch", and it is considered worn out.

In fact, I don't think your bike has had much heavy use. Hanging its whole life in the garage?

If you have the time and ambition, I do think it is a good idea to clean and repack all the bearings with good grease.

Last edited by CliffordK; 02-06-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 01:20 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
OK,, so you bought it (as you say, for a steal) and want to keep and ride it. Great. Those are terrific bikes tat will las you a lifetime if properly maintained.

First off, clean it. Get a toothbrush, some diluted Simple Green, and scrub, scrub, scrub that dirt and gunk away. No need to rinse it hard, just get the SG off. Follow that up with a soft washcloth sized towel and some auto wash detergent, just like you'd use to clean off your car. Rinse again. Dry with a softj terry towel, paying special attention to, well, everything. Likely more dirt will come off on the towel, so start at the top and finish with the wheels.

Now replace the chain. If you don't know how to do that, go to YouTube and wathc the videos, then buy the proper tools and do it right. Yes, you coudl have the bike shop do that, but hey, you were smart enough to buy a great bike, you're smart enough to do the chain. Over time, like the next couple months, waych more videos and go to the Park Tool web site. Buy the few special tools required to service your bottom bracket, headset, hubs, etc.

BTW, the link above is to hoods that will NOT fit your brake levers. Cane Creek and Dia Compe make ones that fit most closely, you can find them on eBay or Amazon. Hoods for your levers don't exist, at least I haven't seen any in the last five years. A good-to-new or almost-new set of levers will run you $50 with good hoods, but you may find it easier to locate gum ones than black ones.

Enjoy!
Old 02-06-19, 05:06 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Great googly moogly! You got quite a bike there. As-is I wouldn't take less than $350 for it. All spiffed up with brand new stuff - twice that.
Old 02-06-19, 08:47 PM
Hazardous_uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Great googly moogly! You got quite a bike there. As-is I wouldn't take less than $350 for it. All spiffed up with brand new stuff - twice that.

thank you man . She a grail lol
Old 02-06-19, 08:48 PM
Hazardous_uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
OK,, so you bought it (as you say, for a steal) and want to keep and ride it. Great. Those are terrific bikes tat will las you a lifetime if properly maintained.

First off, clean it. Get a toothbrush, some diluted Simple Green, and scrub, scrub, scrub that dirt and gunk away. No need to rinse it hard, just get the SG off. Follow that up with a soft washcloth sized towel and some auto wash detergent, just like you'd use to clean off your car. Rinse again. Dry with a softj terry towel, paying special attention to, well, everything. Likely more dirt will come off on the towel, so start at the top and finish with the wheels.

Now replace the chain. If you don't know how to do that, go to YouTube and wathc the videos, then buy the proper tools and do it right. Yes, you coudl have the bike shop do that, but hey, you were smart enough to buy a great bike, you're smart enough to do the chain. Over time, like the next couple months, waych more videos and go to the Park Tool web site. Buy the few special tools required to service your bottom bracket, headset, hubs, etc.

BTW, the link above is to hoods that will NOT fit your brake levers. Cane Creek and Dia Compe make ones that fit most closely, you can find them on eBay or Amazon. Hoods for your levers don't exist, at least I haven't seen any in the last five years. A good-to-new or almost-new set of levers will run you $50 with good hoods, but you may find it easier to locate gum ones than black ones.

Enjoy!

thanks for the advice brotha ! I’ll be sure to post any updates on her
Old 02-06-19, 09:12 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I had one for a short time, built it up but it was just too tall for me. Rode a dream though. Congrats on the awesome find.
Old 02-07-19, 07:28 AM
Hazardous_uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
I had one for a short time, built it up but it was just too tall for me. Rode a dream though. Congrats on the awesome find.
man thinking mine might be a little too tall to but I’ll probabky make it work lol

Last edited by Hazardous_uno; 02-07-19 at 01:39 PM. Reason: autocorrect
Old 02-07-19, 07:33 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I ride a 58cm or 23" and my frame felt more like a 25" When riding it was fine, and as I always say, what matters most is how does it feel when riding, but at some point a bike is just too tall and this one sadly was just too tall. It had perfect paint too, shame.