Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Questions for owners of a Wahoo Element Bolt

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 12:01 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am considering purchasing a Wahoo element Bolt bike computer. For all the basic functions (speed, HR, etc.), but particularly for the turn-by-turn navigation on longer rides, since the battery is supposed to last longer than a phone with the screen turned on. I am looking to use this unit for century rides, longer rides on unfamiliar routes, and bike touring across Portugal next year.

Now I now the Bolt relies heavily on a phone to put routes into it, configure it, etc. I know it uses RidewithGPS for example to get routes. Now my question was this:

- When you put a ride in via RidewithGPS on your phone, and you have your phone paired to the Bolt, does the phone also use it's GPS (aka, drain the phone battery)? Or does the Bolt simply rely on its own GPS and can you turn the phone GPS off?
- Does syncing routes with RideWithGPS require a RidewithGPS premium membership? Or can you just use the basic free version? (I know getting turn-by-turn on the phone with RideWithGPS requires premium).
- How long does the battery on your unit typically last with the turn-by-turn navigation turned on? Can I expect something like at least 7 hours? Or less than that?

Thank you!
Old 02-10-19, 12:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
You create a route with RwGPS (free version works). You sync Wahoo and RwGPS apps. After the routes are imported to the Bolt, which I do at home because it's given me problems on the road, for whatever reason, you don't need your phone for anything. 7 hours is a piece of cake.
Old 02-10-19, 12:48 PM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The phone is the primary interface for configuring the device screens etc, however once out on the road you do not need your phone until time to upload data to Strava, TrainingPeaks or whatever tracking software you prefer.
Old 02-10-19, 02:02 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
As mentioned, you only need your phone if you want to upload routes. I've used the free ridewithgps without any issues. Longest I've gone using turn-by-turn was about 3-4 hours and still had 60% charge left. I usually charge it once a week and have had no issues (averaging 190mpw this year).
Old 02-10-19, 08:52 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I now the Bolt relies heavily on a phone to put routes into it
No it doesn’t. Routes created in RideWithGPS are automatically synchronized to the bolt when you turn it on.

No no the phone does not use GPS while you are using the Bolt for navigation.

Yes the Bolt has its own GPS.

No you don’t need a premium RideWithGPS account. Premium accounts are for those that use the app on their phone for navigation.
Old 02-10-19, 10:07 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
No need for a premium ride wgps account. No need to even carry the phone once it has synced. I got over 15hours easily when new. Now almost 2 years old. Still get above 10.
Old 02-11-19, 08:39 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Cool, thanks everyone! That is all I needed to know.

Seems like a good little device, might buy it soon. Hoping it will allow me to venture off the beaten path and explore a bit more without getting lost.
Old 02-11-19, 06:50 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Can anyone say if the Garmin 520 or 520+ does the same?
Old 02-11-19, 07:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
Can anyone say if the Garmin 520 or 520+ does the same?
Yes, both units will do navigation. The 520 map is about on par with the Bolt, the 520 Plus has a better map display (IMO) than a Bolt.

If I were needing navigation and needed to use a map, I’d be buying the Garmin Edge Explore rather than a Bolt or 520/520 Plus. Better maps on a larger screen.

I used a Bolt, liked the RWGPS seemless interface. Didn’t like the basic B&W map display with no real detail. Liked the Garmin map better and is what I would want doing a cycling trip in a place I was unfamiliar with.

Ive used a Garmin 1000 and have been very happy with the Garmin Connect course planner as well as the seemless connection to the mobile app and device. Very good directions and mapping.

Old 02-11-19, 08:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes, both units will do navigation. The 520 map is about on par with the Bolt, the 520 Plus has a better map display (IMO) than a Bolt.
And the Garmin has more advanced in-unit re-routing, IIRC. If, for instance, there's some construction and you need to turn off of your route, it'll re-route like a car/phone GPS, still giving you turn-by-turn, to get you back on to your route. The Bolt, in contrast, can give you a general direction of where you need to be and then it'll beep at you when you approach/cross your route. That'd be nice to have when exploring new (to you) areas - I know that I would have liked it on my Bolt on a couple of occasions.