Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fake bikes

Old 02-15-19, 08:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
The red flag in that photo is no locals. Unless they're parked on the side away from the picture, if you don't see beaters or work vehicles a place like that is best passed by.
It has a drive-thru window round back.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Oh I can make a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl.
Hellofa day to quit amphetamines.

-Tim-
Old 02-15-19, 08:53 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Olive Garden is the new cyclists hang out?
Where else can you get an 1800 calorie meal?
Old 02-15-19, 09:01 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And unlimited salad and breadsticks.
Oh yeah.

I actually have fond memories of Olive Garden. My parents, especially my Mom, loved going there. She passed away 10 years ago but even now I think of the good times she, and all of us, had eating at OG. Miss you Mom.
Old 02-15-19, 09:29 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We eat at Olive Garden occasionally. Good tossed salad and bread sticks, decent soups, flavored Ice Tea. Staff is OK. What's the beef ...
Old 02-15-19, 11:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
A bacon smokehouse burger, large fries, and vanilla shake at McDonald's.
chinese buffet.
Several slices of pizza.
A bag of peanuts.
Old 02-16-19, 10:48 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I rest my case.
Old 02-16-19, 05:27 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
Claim Jumper chicken pot pie ain't messin' around!

CHICKEN POT PIE CJ classic since 1977, carrots, onions, mushrooms, peas, savory herb cream sauce, flaky pie crust, fresh fruit (2120 cal) 16.99
Old 02-18-19, 07:44 AM
BonkonFleet

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I honestly can't tell if you're kidding, otherwise we seem to be looking at a very different picture. I can't make out anything like that on my monitor.
I'm joking.
Old 02-18-19, 08:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by BonkonFleet
I'm joking.

Oh, in that case, I think the middle bike frame is made of titanium fiber.

I wouldn't know what really old Dura Ace looked like.
Old 02-18-19, 08:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I rest my case.

After eating all of that, you also might want to take a nap.
Old 02-18-19, 08:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Oh yeah.

I actually have fond memories of Olive Garden. My parents, especially my Mom, loved going there. She passed away 10 years ago but even now I think of the good times she, and all of us, had eating at OG. Miss you Mom.

Out of curiosity, do you still go there sometimes?

Emotional associations with food/places are powerful things. One of the reasons it's a bad idea to insult people's tastes--you never know whether you're really insulting their memories.

I'd probably still go to Shakey's Pizza if there was still such a thing around here just because of the childhood associations..
Old 02-18-19, 08:56 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Claim Jumper chicken pot pie ain't messin' around!

CHICKEN POT PIE CJ classic since 1977, carrots, onions, mushrooms, peas, savory herb cream sauce, flaky pie crust, fresh fruit (2120 cal) 16.99
Those pies can be quite savory, but let's please not lose sight of the fact that Claim Jumping remains a serious problem in states like Wyoming, not to be made light of in a flippant manner.
Old 02-18-19, 09:03 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you still go there sometimes?

Emotional associations with food/places are powerful things. One of the reasons it's a bad idea to insult people's tastes--you never know whether you're really insulting their memories.

I'd probably still go to Shakey's Pizza if there was still such a thing around here just because of the childhood associations..
I don’t go to OG anymore. My decision has to do with healthy-eating and healthy-living choices that I have made to keep my diabetes and coronary disease issues under (better) control. The memories of happy family times at OG, however, remain a major component of my good-times memory landscape.

I also have fond memories of Shakey’s Pizza, especially the one on Sunset Blvd., in Hollywood California.

There was a piano player and Mom loved to request The Entertainer, from the movie The Sting (Mom was a huge Paul Newman fan). It got to the point that when he saw us walking in, he would stop whatever he was playing and start up with The Entertainer. I think that Dad was mildly jealous of the piano player.

There was also the time that my brother, his high school football player friend and myself were asked to leave because we were eating everything in their lunch all you can eat menu. Those were the days.

I took my college sweatheart, and now wife, on one of our first dates to Shakey’s. I accidentally bit into a hot pepper and my face turned crimson red and I sweated profusely...my wife couldn’t stop laughing and I knew right there and then that I had to marry her.

Alas, as you mentioned, there are now only a handful of Shakey’s around. Sad times.

You are absolutely correct about those powerful connections and why it is usually not a good idea to insult people’s choices of eateries.

Now, how about the scent of a freshly opened box of crayons...Nirvana!

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 02-18-19 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 09:53 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I think you can correlate the "sticky table test" just walking in, with the smell of old grease and overloaded venta-hoods, lingering odors of a fish fry or bbq smoke or other things depending. Cooked, not raw ingredient odors of course. If I smell MSG I'm out though, that's a full stop..
I do know what all of the smells above are except MSG. What does it even smell like prior to eating. I know exactly what it smells like a short time after ingesting
Old 02-18-19, 10:33 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
We eat at Olive Garden occasionally. Good tossed salad and bread sticks, decent soups, flavored Ice Tea. Staff is OK. What's the beef ...
Probably horse.
Old 02-18-19, 11:32 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by 308jerry
I do know what all of the smells above are except MSG. What does it even smell like prior to eating. I know exactly what it smells like a short time after ingesting
MSG is ok if they don't go overboard with it. Those that do, the offenders are mostly Chinese food places IME, you can smell it just like after you have a dish that's overloaded with it.
Old 02-18-19, 12:23 PM
sanchan
Proud Pinarello Owner

Bikes: Pinarello (1985)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
questions....

There are a couple of things here that puzzle me, first being, why certain people feel the need to trash “Olive Garden” and folks who dine there.
Secondly....does the OP have nothing better to do than be a “Johnny on the spot” art critic?
Go ride your bike....
Old 02-18-19, 12:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't trash Olive Garden. I just state the fact that my whole family got food poisoning from eating lunch at the Kennesaw, Georgia location a few days before Christmas 2005. It's not my business if people eat there.
Old 02-18-19, 12:58 PM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Well, the bikes are real, but it's fake advertising.
So my wife and I are traveling and decided to have dinner in an Olive Garden restaurant. Below is a wallhanging picture that was next to our table. I think it’s supposed to make the viewer think it’s an old world (Italian) setting. I think it’s staged. Those bikes look as if they’ve never been ridden...not the bikes that old Italian guys would be tooling around the town on. I've been there and the old guys tool around on old bikes that are well-use, dirty, rusty, etc.

I had some relatives who did the design work for restaurants, inside and outside. I worked with them a little when they were putting in the finishing touches before a grand opening. The thought that usually goes into the paintings, photos, shelves of books, sculptures, etc. simply isn't that great. This photograph just gives a certain ambiance. It isn't meant to be authentic or anything else beyond that. The vast, overwhelming majority of customers do not inspect the details. Even the designers don't usually look beyond the level of casual ambiance.

Food snobbery, bike snobbery, other snobberies are just expressions of ego, which characteristically desires to puff itself up by making others out to be inferior.

I lived in Italy for a while, and have had a couple of very Italian girlfriends. The photo looks pretty Italian.

As for OG: They can't possibly all be the same. The quality of the food would vary with location, management, and employees.

Food snobs are, along with journalists, the lowest form of humanity. The lowest.

Last edited by BillyD; 02-18-19 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Politics
Old 02-18-19, 01:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by sanchan
[left]There are a couple of things here that puzzle me, first being, why certain people feel the need to trash “Olive Garden” and folks who dine there.
Probably for the same reason why certain people repeatedly make gratuitous comments about their preference for more expensive products and "kit" with pricey brand names, than that used by presumably less worldly/less knowledgeable people; or gratuitously post about their financial status in comparison to their neighbors or countrymen.

It boosts their ego; sad.
Old 02-18-19, 01:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikesplendor
Food snobbery, bike snobbery, other snobberies are just expressions of ego, which characteristically desires to puff itself up by making others out to be inferior.
Exactly!
Old 02-18-19, 02:15 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
A bacon smokehouse burger, large fries, and vanilla shake at McDonald's.
chinese buffet.
Several slices of pizza.
A bag of peanuts.
Or just a large Oreo peanut butter shake from Sonic, which comes close at 1720 calories.
Old 02-18-19, 02:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Or just a large Oreo peanut butter shake from Sonic, which comes close at 1720 calories.

No drink is that good! Quick search says that's the highest calorie shake in the U.S. among chains.

Cold Stone Creamery used to have a 2000 calorie one, but it looks like they cut it back.
Old 02-18-19, 06:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
No drink is that good! Quick search says that's the highest calorie shake in the U.S. among chains.

Cold Stone Creamery used to have a 2000 calorie one, but it looks like they cut it back.
Well according to this page: https://fastfoodnutrition.org/sonic/...er-shake/large the shake has 1890 calories, but Sonic's website shows it at 1720. Either way, one shake and you've consumed almost all of a 2,000 calorie a day diet. It better be extremely good in order to be the only thing I eat all day.
Old 02-18-19, 10:35 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by sanchan
Secondly....does the OP have nothing better to do than be a “Johnny on the spot” art critic?
Go ride your bike....
Wife and I were travelling. Hotel life. Didn't have a bike with me. It was late in the evening. Wife likes OG. They sat (or is it seated???) me next to the pic in my OP. I saw bikes in the picture so had to look at them.

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.