Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How many of your centuries finish before dark?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How many of your centuries finish before dark?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 08:22 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
A century is miles not kilometres ... or if you speak in kilometres, it's 160 km.

A 7 hour century is a fairly brisk century.

My centuries have ranged between 6 hours and 15 hours depending on a number of different factors.

For someone who hasn't ridden that sort of distance in a while, on a nice day, relatively flat route, not much wind ... 8 hours is a reasonable estimate.
Add hills, wind and cold, and you might be looking at 9+.
+1 ^^^ words with great experience!

For my part, I have 20 rides that are 100+ miles in the last 8 years.
  • The fastest rides are ~ 5-1/2 hours (total ride time), these are all out efforts, not exactly "fun".
  • The longest century took 10 hours, a gravel grinder in pouring rain & gale-force winds plus 9 "bonus" miles, not exactly "fun".
  • The most relevant ride for this thread was supporting my daughter's first century, she was 26 at the time riding her mom's flat-bar road bike, we finished in under 8 hours including nearly 90 minutes of stops at supported rest areas. The course was fairly flat with 3,000 ft elevation gain. This ride was a ton of fun!
  • The longest ride started in the dark (at midnight) and ended at sunset - that was 240 miles and not relevant, I just tell everybody about that DAMn ride.
Starting at sunrise, any rider that has done some training should have no problem riding 100 miles in 8 to 10 hours (based on route and conditions) and enjoying the day.
Old 02-14-19, 08:32 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Brutality is often related to geography. If you don't mind the question, where did you ride it?
Eagle Creek Park. It's a large city park in Indianapolis. It wasn't brutal because of the terrain. It was brutal because I was ill prepared to ride that far. When I set out that day I had originally intended on doing between 50 and 63 miles. However, things were going so well I decided to continue. At the 85 mile mark I knew I had made a bad decision.
Old 02-14-19, 08:45 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Not that I've done a ton of them (10-ish), but all finished well before dark. Even the one where I rode 25 miles to a group ride start, waited for the group, rode 70-ish miles with the group (including a long lunch break, one stop for a flat, one stop for a crash, one stop for a bonk), then rode 25+ miles home (including getting lost and having to make an emergency water stop) finished well before dark.

I can see it being challenging to complete a double century before dark, but if you start early enough, and limit breaks to a reasonable number of reasonable duration, then getting one done during daylight is not that hard.

----------
Old 02-14-19, 08:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Eagle Creek Park. It's a large city park in Indianapolis. It wasn't brutal because of the terrain. It was brutal because I was ill prepared to ride that far. When I set out that day I had originally intended on doing between 50 and 63 miles. However, things were going so well I decided to continue. At the 85 mile mark I knew I had made a bad decision.

Is "eyes bigger than your legs" an expression? There's definitely times when I've felt that. The way I ride is to set a destination for a round trip from home, so there's no good bailing point after I've done half of my intended ride, I have to finish the distance unless I want to get a motel.
Old 02-14-19, 08:47 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
How many of your centuries ended with plenty of light to spare? I'm wondering if I should strap the headlamp onto my helmet now or wait and see. It's not a bike specific light so the battery pack (4 AAAs) would sit on the rear of the helmet. It probably wouldn't bother me for a short ride, but might start to hurt my neck.
I've started as many in the dark as I've finished in the dark.

I'd keep the head light in a bag until needed.
Old 02-14-19, 08:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by noimagination
Not that I've done a ton of them (10-ish), but all finished well before dark. Even the one where I rode 25 miles to a group ride start, waited for the group, rode 70-ish miles with the group (including a long lunch break, one stop for a flat, one stop for a crash, one stop for a bonk), then rode 25+ miles home (including getting lost and having to make an emergency water stop) finished well before dark.

I can see it being challenging to complete a double century before dark, but if you start early enough, and limit breaks to a reasonable number of reasonable duration, then getting one done during daylight is not that hard.

----------

I had a century this year where I went through 4 flats and had to stop at a bike store to buy tubes after going through the first two. And of course with all that wrestling with the bike to do the roadside repairs, my tail light somehow fell off the bike and got lost. I barely made it home at dusk, just getting dark enough that I was uncomfortable about riding without a tail light.
Old 02-14-19, 08:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

A friend and I will attempt a century this Saturday through the Negev Desert to a southern beach resort in Israel. My wife and kids will provide sag support with our car...

How many of your centuries ended with plenty of light to spare? I'm wondering if I should strap the headlamp onto my helmet now or wait and see. It's not a bike specific light so the battery pack (4 AAAs) would sit on the rear of the helmet. It probably wouldn't bother me for a short ride, but might start to hurt my neck.
The question kind of answers itself--have the light kept in the car, put it on if needed. That actually sounds like a lot of weight to add to a helmet.
Old 02-14-19, 09:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,532 Times in 7,328 Posts
If you haven't already, watch Lawrence of Arabia before you perform this ceremony.
Was on my local PBS station a month or two ago. Wonderfully restored "print." The cinematography is amazing. But you can almost ride a century in as much time as it takes to watch the film.

BTW...The Aqaba scenes, as well as several others, were filmed in areas of Spain that I toured through in 2000. Many "Spaghetti Westerns" were also filmed in Almeria province and other areas of Spain. When I was riding through the Tabernas Desert area I couldn't help buy yelling out "Blonnnnnnnnnndieeeeeee! You know what you are?!?!"

Lawrence Of Arabia | Film Locations
Old 02-14-19, 09:32 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I've never done a road century (100 miles) but I would expect to finish one in 6 hours of riding time.

I have done 3 110 mile rides on a fully loaded bike from Banff AB. to Elkford B.C. with varying average MPHs.
Old 02-14-19, 10:32 AM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Is this at a very high latitude? (Edit: it's in Israel, so no.) If you start at 7am, you're gonna finish around noon, going slow and taking breaks. Unless this is all climbing or off-road, am I missing something?
Maybe you are thinking of a metric century I'm in pretty good shape in fact can do the NYC granfondo in six hours with almost 10 ft of climbing and by Know means is that going slow for me anyway
Old 02-14-19, 10:33 AM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
Maybe you are thinking of a metric century I'm in pretty good shape in fact can do the NYC granfondo in six hours with almost 10 ft of climbing and by Know means is that going slow for me anyway
10 000 ft
Old 02-14-19, 01:56 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've only done two centuries, and I ended both of them well before dark. They were organized rides which started at 7 AM, and I think both times I ended somewhere around 4 PM. Of course that was during the summer during longer daylight, but at my latitude even during the winter at 4 PM there's still about an hour of daylight left.
Old 02-14-19, 02:13 PM
Milton Keynes

Is "eyes bigger than your legs" an expression?
If not, it should be. I've had a few times I was wondering what I got myself into.
Old 02-14-19, 02:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If not, it should be. I've had a few times I was wondering what I got myself into.
For me, that usually involves either wind, rain or cold, or some combination of those. Amazing how variable a mile can feel, especially on the second century of a weekend.
Old 02-14-19, 02:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The sun will set at 5:25pm on Saturday at that latitude. So, if you leave at 7 am, that's 10 and a half hours to ride 100 miles.
Old 02-14-19, 02:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by caloso
The sun will set at 5:25pm on Saturday at that latitude. So, if you leave at 7 am, that's 10 and a half hours to ride 100 miles.
That should be plenty of time even at a leisurely pace of, say, 12 MPH, even with rest/bathroom breaks.
Old 02-14-19, 03:33 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My centuries usually run 6 or 7 hours, stops included. So plenty of daylight as long as I don't start at noon.
Old 02-14-19, 03:35 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Mine are about 6 hours including stops - in the Summer I'm normally done before noon.
Old 02-15-19, 06:29 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Given the location of your ride, if it does get dark, you may be able to rely on a pillar of light.

exodus 13:21
טיולים בטוחים (Safe travels.)
Funny you mention that. We saw this on our drive down about 1/2hr ago. Sky was cloudy from dust and then we see this square of light hovering in the sky.

It's the tower of a solar power station.

Old 02-15-19, 07:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Funny you mention that. We saw this on our drive down about 1/2hr ago. Sky was cloudy from dust and then we see this square of light hovering in the sky.

It's the tower of a solar power station.

Be sure to keep an eye on the weather forecast!
Old 02-15-19, 09:02 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Be sure to keep an eye on the weather forecast!
That is our number one concern right now. The forecast is calling for 30% rain from 8am to 11am at 40deg F, and the 15mph wind going west to east is supposed to continue. We are travelling southeast but more south than east. Maybe I should fashion a sail tonight.
Old 02-15-19, 10:10 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Headlights are a good idea when the sun is low, well before sunset, just for visibility to drivers. I've started using a blinking headlight and taillight even on bright sunny days, just so drivers notice me a long way ahead.
Old 02-15-19, 10:45 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I start my rides about 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. That gives me time to walk the dog, take a shower etc. I do one century or much longer a week in decent weather. One short ride during the week that starts at 6:30 pm and includes dinner too. All my rides finish in the dark. Some start late and end at 2:30 am the next day. Mostly the 120 mile to 150 mile rides. I don't ride without lights, and back up lights. I will not let the dark change any of my rides. That would be vey annoying to me. Unless It's a very short ride to test something.
Old 02-15-19, 11:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I start my rides about 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. That gives me time to walk the dog, take a shower etc. I do one century or much longer a week in decent weather. One short ride during the week that starts at 6:30 pm and includes dinner too. All my rides finish in the dark. Some start late and end at 2:30 am the next day. Mostly the 120 mile to 150 mile rides. I don't ride without lights, and back up lights. I will not let the dark change any of my rides. That would be vey annoying to me. Unless It's a very short ride to test something.

I suspect that one's feelings about riding at night are very strongly affected by the geography. As to the OP, I don't think the prospect of the desert at night is very appealing. Oddly, it would likely feel very cold.

For me, most of the roads I'd be going on on long rides are too windy and narrow for me to want to deal with darkness.
Old 02-15-19, 11:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Headlights are a good idea when the sun is low, well before sunset, just for visibility to drivers. I've started using a blinking headlight and taillight even on bright sunny days, just so drivers notice me a long way ahead.

That right before sunset time can be pretty awful. Either darker lighting conditions or worse, the sun directly in your eyes.

Blinking headlight, good. Strobing headlight, bad. The fast strobe just makes it harder for oncoming traffic to estimate your position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.