Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone going to PBP?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone going to PBP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 12:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Anyone going to PBP?

rhm gave me the idea of turning my trip to France into a C&V pilgrimage. Obviously, a trip to the Singer shop is required, but that can't be the only attraction in Paris, can it?
Old 02-15-19, 10:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm not going this time around, but I'm subscribing to this thread to see what comes of it!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-16-19, 01:21 AM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I'm pre-registered and planning on being there.
Old 02-16-19, 06:40 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Be sure to wear a yellow vest!

Old 02-16-19, 08:29 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by SHBR
Be sure to wear a yellow vest!
The organizers were joking about that. They do require yellow vests, at least at night. A yellow vest is included in the registration fee. In fact, the reason there are so many yellow vests is that cyclists and pedestrians are required to have one and you are required to have one in your car.
Old 02-16-19, 08:57 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The organizers were joking about that. They do require yellow vests, at least at night. A yellow vest is included in the registration fee. In fact, the reason there are so many yellow vests is that cyclists and pedestrians are required to have one and you are required to have one in your car.
As i understand it, you are required to have one for every passenger, which practically means one for every seat in the car. The things are ubiquitous. Car insurance agencies hand them out to their customers "for free."

​​​​​​
Old 02-23-19, 02:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have been lobbying rhm to go, but he says he's only going if he learns how to fly. I think his arms would get sore though.

This is going to be interesting, they have integrated the Concours de machines with PBP, and the bikes have to be ridden in PBP. I think they are going to be given 80h. Hahn Rossman is building a bike and is going to ride it. https://www.associationartisansducycle.com/cdm2019

Apparently the start is before the 90h start, so I should be able to see the bikes

The only rule that my bike is going to meet is I'm going to have a mount for a number plate. They give you a traditional racing number plate that has to stay on your bike.
Old 02-23-19, 02:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

What a great idea! That loops all the way back around to the original idea of PBP and similar rides -- to see what people and their machines could do.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-23-19, 03:58 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 539 Posts
During my last trip to the UK, I noticed that 99% of cyclists wore yellow vests, especially outside London.....
I guess they require such in Europe like helmets. You'll most likely never get most people here in the US to go along with such....
Old 02-23-19, 04:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Chombi1
During my last trip to the UK, I noticed that 99% of cyclists wore yellow vests, especially outside London.....
I guess they require such in Europe like helmets. You'll most likely never get most people here in the US to go along with such....
Lots of assumptions there: that the UK represents "Europe", that "Europe" requires helmets and or yellow vests. I'm not sure any of those are true.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-23-19, 04:22 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Nah, that's mostly a British thing to do, especially since UK drivers seem to be impatient idiots around bikes as well, just in a country with less space to manoeuvre than the US.

In mainland Europe it depends on the country but in most countries you won't see any cyclists wearing yellow or reflective clothing.

As for the helmets...
Old 02-23-19, 05:02 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 539 Posts
I was very impressed though, how well the urban cyclists blended right in with the speed of very close traffic in the cities in UK. Much better "street skills" than what I see here in SF. And these were just "regular" commuters in office and school clothes, not pro messenger riders.
Old 02-23-19, 05:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What a great idea! That loops all the way back around to the original idea of PBP and similar rides -- to see what people and their machines could do.
I think it's a great idea. They did have long races bitd, I thought the previous CdM was a little too contrived. This is a real challenge, and faking will be exposed
Old 02-23-19, 06:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have been lobbying rhm to go, but he says he's only going if he learns how to fly.
Rudi, book a cruise ship.

Wouldn't that meet your requirements?
Old 02-23-19, 07:28 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

I was looking at taking the Queen Mary 2 over in 2015 when I was thinking of trying PBP, it was kind of expensive but it sounded neat to spend 5 days on a luxurious boat...
Old 02-23-19, 09:48 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

No. I'd take a cabin on a container ship if I knew how to book such a thing, though.

But whatever, this isn't the forum to discuss my unwillingness to fly. It would get political in no time, and Eric would have to close his own thread. Let's not go there.
Old 02-23-19, 10:13 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by rhm
No. I'd take a cabin on a container ship if I knew how to book such a thing, though.
Booking a room on a container ship

A guy with two 1200km and one 1000km brevets in one year, I'd like to see him do PBP after a tramp steamer run across the Atlantic. Just for my entertainment, I'm selfish that way.

Old 02-24-19, 09:20 AM
clasher

Originally Posted by rhm

But whatever, this isn't the forum to discuss my unwillingness to fly. It would get political in no time, and Eric would have to close his own thread. Let's not go there.
I thought about the container ship thing but it was actually pretty expensive and bare-bones. The Queen Mary 2 ocean liner trip was expensive (no more steerage class) but the ship has a library, gym, restaurants, pools and all kinds of other stuff to keep one busy for 5 days. The price for a solo traveller was around 5000 canadian for the round trip that leaves from NYC and it drops you off in England so you've got to ferry yourself over to France or take the chunnel train if that will still be a thing post-brexit IDK. I'd have to get myself to NYC too... my girlfriend gets sea-sick on cruises so she had no interest in doing it so the high price resigned me to flying but if I had extra money in the future I might consider doing it one-way just for the opulent experience. I also think it would probably save the jet-lag issues due to the 5 days at sea.
Old 02-24-19, 09:42 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Booking a room on a container ship

A guy with two 1200km and one 1000km brevets in one year, I'd like to see him do PBP after a tramp steamer run across the Atlantic. Just for my entertainment, I'm selfish that way.

That link doesnt work on my phone, but I take your point. There is a lot of info on the web. Most of it is about cruises, and most of it is country specific, and most of that is non-US. Even so, I should be able to find something. My need is pretty specific, a ship from the port of New York (Elizabeth, NJ, etc) to any French port.

The opulence of a Cunard Line ship doesn't really interest me. On an actual freighter or container ship i read somewhere that the cost typically works out to about $100/day, so somewhere under $1000 for an Atlantic crossing.

Tramp steamer is not the way to go, I'd want a ship on a schedule. Even with a schedule, ships take wide detours to avoid storms, often waiting for a storm to move... so you can never be sure about when you'll arrive.

I'll look into it....
Old 02-24-19, 10:24 AM
clasher

Yeah, the opulence on the QM2 seems kind of optional, apparently you can still eat at the buffet with jeans and a t-shirt on. Having a gym, pool and sauna on-board was mostly the kind of facilities I'd want to take part in... I don't think I'd fit in with the tuxedos-at-supper crowd It seems from a couple of blog entries that it might not be too "yuppie" for me if I avoid the fancy restaurants at night.

The one container ship site I saw quoted 110 euros a day average cost but also said the round-trip crossing was 4,000 euros so IDK how it really works out and they wanted all my info for a quote so I never pursued it beyond reading the FAQ, and it was only the first result from a search so hardly thoroughly researched. The crossings were longer since the ships seem to stop at multiple ports in NA before crossing and like you said they'll go around storms and whatnot. The QM2 takes 7 days since it was built to cross the Atlantic quickly and has a set schedule to meet.
Old 02-24-19, 11:10 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by rhm
That link doesnt work on my phone, but I take your point. There is a lot of info on the web. Most of it is about cruises, and most of it is country specific, and most of that is non-US. Even so, I should be able to find something. My need is pretty specific, a ship from the port of New York (Elizabeth, NJ, etc) to any French port.

The opulence of a Cunard Line ship doesn't really interest me. On an actual freighter or container ship i read somewhere that the cost typically works out to about $100/day, so somewhere under $1000 for an Atlantic crossing.

Tramp steamer is not the way to go, I'd want a ship on a schedule. Even with a schedule, ships take wide detours to avoid storms, often waiting for a storm to move... so you can never be sure about when you'll arrive.

I'll look into it....
It would be quite an adventure! You'd want to bring a bike trainer, maybe just one of those little foldie models to keep your form up.
Old 02-24-19, 01:52 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

It would be quite an adventure! You'd want to bring a bike trainer, maybe just one of those little foldie models to keep your form up.
Oh, I hate to burst your bubble, but a week without exercise won't do me any harm. In a pinch I could climb stairs or something.
Old 02-24-19, 08:32 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by rhm
Oh, I hate to burst your bubble, but a week without exercise won't do me any harm. In a pinch I could climb stairs or something.
No bubble burst, just amazed at your riding prowess!
Old 02-24-19, 09:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It's okay to skip up to 2 weeks of training, just don't do it too often.

Someone on the iBob list mentioned French flea markets (Marché aux Puces). Wonder if they have any in August. Bringing a bike home isn't in the cards though