Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Riding every other day

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Riding every other day

Old 02-16-19, 01:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Riding every other day

At the end of August I had my foot operated on for a bunion and plantar fibromatosis. I’m on week 3 of getting back into shape after 5 months of no riding. I find riding everyday aggravates my foot so I ride every other day and that has been working out great. Having fresh legs makes the ride better for me. I’m just curious if any of you ride a similar schedule? I plan on returning to riding consecutive days but after a few more weeks. This week I trained on Mon, Wed, Fri and plan on riding Sunday. Average ride about 30 miles and trying to ride 100 miles per week minimum.
Old 02-16-19, 05:49 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Will be in the same situation as you but with recovery from neck fusion surgery after a hit and run accident committing back from work. Recieced clearance from doctor I could resume riding after 3 months in a neck brace tried 2 weeks ago to ride my road bike but could only do about 5 miles very ackward riding it .sucks that I can't use the road bike yet but can ride the uprite commuter bike ok .am used to riding upwards of 300 miles on a good week now it's hard to get a 10 miles ride in .but will be doing like u said and riding every other day for a month or so then try and see how a fifty mile ride feels hope I can still do it sucks gaining weight LoL hope ur back soon to riding how u want to be able too
Old 02-16-19, 07:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'm recovering from damaged tendons and back which flared up when I was running earlier in the summer. And of course, you know Rowan's situation.

Right now we're riding on weekends, but I'd really like to get some after work riding in too. My Sports Dr has cleared me for easy riding, but these days I'm so tired by the time I get home from work, and it's not just a matter of riding out the door ... we've got to drive somewhere to find easy riding.
Old 02-16-19, 10:21 PM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're likely recovering better with day off between rides. I'm so old I need two days between hard workouts.
Old 02-16-19, 10:36 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by fstrnu
You're likely recovering better with day off between rides. I'm so old I need two days between hard workouts.
Same here, that's my situation too. Every other day generally, but two rest days after a big push. When I try to do more -- and when I started up riding three years ago I had every day in mind, for consistent effects on my metabolism without a lot of stop and start, up and down -- when I try to do more, my body gives me a sign that I need to cool it. Last fall it was plantar fasciitis and two months off the bike, sooooo, yeah, every other day.

The good part is, even with my measured pace of advancement, I'm still improving after three years. So, pluses and minuses.