Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

My montague hummer

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

My montague hummer

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 02:57 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The hummer logo must cover a swathe of drilluminium holes
Sweet - people must do a double take when the lift it...

I wanna see it with slicks...
Old 04-21-09, 10:31 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Brakes are Mrazek MOC V+ Limited (magnesium)
https://www.mrazek.com/break.html

Pedals are M2racer Orb Ti

:]
Old 04-21-09, 11:06 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Raxel
Brakes are Mrazek MOC V+ Limited (magnesium)
https://www.mrazek.com/break.html

:]
Speaking of Mrazek.. I forgot all about his project bike..

Old 04-21-09, 11:26 AM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
I wanna see it with slicks...
Yeah, if it's 8kg with those fat knobblies it must be a real feather with slicks.

Amazing how much weight was saved with just component swaps on that heavy frame...makes me wonder how light a compact folder can be made.
Old 04-21-09, 05:07 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
Yeah, if it's 8kg with those fat knobblies it must be a real feather with slicks.

Amazing how much weight was saved with just component swaps on that heavy frame...makes me wonder how light a compact folder can be made.
I expect those knobblies to be very light.

That frame wasn't heavy... only about 1kg heavier than a very light roadie frame and only a few 100g heavier than a hardtail MTB frame.

There's a guy who has a Birdy of around 8kg. My Swift is about 8.5kg using fairly plain parts, and if I could find a suitable fork I could cut it to 8kg. I might cut another 1/2kg by going all-out with weight-weenie cranks and brakes and using a dura-ace cassette.
Old 04-21-09, 05:30 PM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recent update: now 7910gr.

Very classy mods Raxel. Love the anodized red accents here and there. Well thought-of and very pro.

Tell me, is the bike so light that it stays upright on it's own without needing a stand?

Old 06-29-09, 11:13 AM
FujiHeavyFreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame is filled w/ military anti-gravity technology keeping it standing upright on its own?
Old 02-12-19, 02:19 PM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Resurrecting a 10 year old thread. I made the bike as light as 7.81kg with knobby tires and carbon rigid fork, before switching to a separable frame. I still have fond memories of this montague bike....

Old 02-14-19, 02:12 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
When I replace my sedan with a hatchback car...I'm going to get a Hummer for sure.
You should have an eye on what you buy. There are conterfeits / fakes around and probably any new Hummer bike for sale today will fall into that category following Montague:

IMPORTANT: Any new bike using the Hummer brand name is a copy. Montague did work with General Motors to produce Hummer branded bikes between 2002 and 2007. Since that time Montague has produced NO Hummer branded bicycles.
Further reading with lots of pictures: https://www.montaguebikes.com/foldin...a-counterfeit/
Old 02-23-19, 09:42 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Fascinating thread. Brings back memories of the Montague CX-7 I used to years as the daily bank runner for the job I'm about to retire from. Always loved them as a commuter, found them comfortable, very useful, and the folding capabilities allowed me to easily store it in the front of the shop's service department (I work for a Honda/Yamaha/Can-Am dealer). Two years ago I went down to a part time, semi-retirement schedule and quit cycling daily on the bank run - so I sold it. Probably not one of my better moves.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 10-01-20, 01:58 PM
keithdavis2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Hi Raxel,
I copied your build and actually did put the 700c x25 wheels on mine it look very much like your last configuration with road bars and brifters. I have shimano 105 calipers which took a little modification for the back but work great. I will post pictures later but I am new and have complete the required 10 post thing yet. Your build defiantly inspired my build thanks for posting the pictures.

Last edited by keithdavis2; 10-23-20 at 03:27 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 10-18-20, 08:50 PM
keithdavis2

Originally Posted by keithdavis2
Hi Raxel,
I copied your build and actually did put the 700c x25 wheels on mine it look very much like your last configuration with road bars and brifters. I have shimano 105 calipers which took a little modification for the back but work great. I will post pictures later but I am new and have complete the required 10 post thing yet. Your build defiantly inspired my build thanks for posting the pictures.

Old 10-23-20, 04:06 PM
keithdavis2

Originally Posted by Simple Simon
Love the look of that bike ! a bit like the early Klein Mantra. But I dont like the fold - or rather dismantle - you have to take the front wheel off !
I know your comment is old but I also like the Klein Mantra especially the carbon fiber version. I have three of the Montague bikes and the fold is so easy and if you put a quick release on the handle bars you don't have to take the wheels off. Also I have thought that the Mantra could be folder as well. By putting a cotter pin or quick release as the bolt for the rear shock you could then fold the rear triangle around to meet the front half. Of course you absolutely have to take the mantra wheels off to do that.
Old 12-27-20, 12:57 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Resurrecting a 10 year old thread. I made the bike as light as 7.81kg with knobby tires and carbon rigid fork, before switching to a separable frame. I still have fond memories of this montague bike....

For me, this is the best iteration of what you've done here. How did it ride without the suspension fork? I bet it was a blast on dirt roads.
Old 01-11-21, 09:36 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I didn't go super light on the rigid fork, but I much prefer the handling over the old/cheap/heavy stock fork. This is as 'road' as this bike is gonna go for a while, as I'm building up a Fit frame now.

Likes For velojym:
Old 01-13-21, 08:29 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Had to have one
I collect foldies
now have to get rid of it
Lots of stuff does what it does better. It was a pioneer.
No complaints just the cost of education.
Old 02-25-21, 09:45 PM
keithdavis2

Do you still have this bike and how much are you wanting for it?