Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Citizen bikes - any good?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-08-11, 07:17 PM
ubringliten

Bikes: 2010 Wabi Lightning, 2014 Brompton S2L-X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello there,

Sorry this topic must be posted many times. I did a search for Citizen bikes on here and it's really difficult going through random threads, so I am going to post this.

My friend is interested in one but we have no idea about Citizen bikes, let alone folding bikes. He will have a 2 miles commute and he's on a budget. There are a few models and which do you recommend? Is it a knockoff of Dahon? If so, should he test them out first in person since Citizen bikes are only available online? Or do you know of any other brand that is under $400?

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by ubringliten; 07-08-11 at 07:24 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-08-11, 10:29 PM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
if he wants multi speed bike i recommend this one: https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/ecoc6.htm
for single speed: https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/speeduno.htm or https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/boardwalk1.htm

better yet (at craigslist sf) for single speed: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/2484396635.html. you can't beat the price of this bike. imagine $75 only.

and this also: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/2474056460.html
Old 07-09-11, 07:36 AM
macnolias

Bikes: R20 aka project frankentwenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too was looking at their bikes but in particular the miami. If he falls within the height bracket of 5-6 foot than the bikes are a fit. The only thing I didn't like is when I called he said the seat post was a peculiar size.

That's not cool to veer off of topic and sell OP a dahon.
Old 07-09-11, 10:35 AM
ubringliten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks vmaniqui and macnolias.

Those are pretty good deals. I didn't know dahons can go that cheap at retail. Now I will have to change his mind because he was set on Citizens. Yes, he is about 5'10". That's cool if other brands are below the price point.
Old 07-09-11, 11:59 AM
kamtsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since you ask for sub $400 folders, you may want to take a look also at Downtube Nova

https://www.downtube.com/product541.html (less than $350 shipped). IIRC it got in general good reviews in this forum. We have one on order, should arrive this week.

BTW, https://www.thorusa.com (mentioned above) is a regular in this forum ('brakemeister'), you try to PM him and see what he can do for you like this D7 with special pricing https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/speedd7.htm

Kam
Old 07-09-11, 11:17 PM
vmaniqui

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by macnolias
That's not cool to veer off of topic and sell OP a dahon.
don't get me wrong. i used to have a citizen tokyo. although i love it and it started my love for folding bike, it's not the best out there. i don't want to be rude and tell the OP not to get citizen. just my honest opinion, citizen bikes are good but way too heavy and the gears are too low. a lot of forum members here have citizen bikes and they love it. when you get it you will eventually want to upgrade a lot of its components. why not just spend a little bit more and get a better one. it's just me. i started with citizen tokyo and had it for about a month and found out it's not what i like in a folding bike so i decided to sell it, then i bought an A-Bike, then Dahon Boardwalk D6, then Dahon Boardwalk D7 (upgraded), then Dahon MU XL, then Dahon Curve D3, then Bike Friday Tikit and now i am using a Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Curve SL (8 speed with IGH). i guess it's more of a personal preference.

Last edited by vmaniqui; 07-09-11 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 01:20 AM
ubringliten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kamtsa
Since you ask for sub $400 folders, you may want to take a look also at Downtube Nova

https://www.downtube.com/product541.html (less than $350 shipped). IIRC it got in general good reviews in this forum. We have one on order, should arrive this week.
Kam
Kam, that looks like a good bike! Please post on here about it when you get it.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-11-11, 09:26 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, I bought a Citizen Barcelona for my GF, who is not a bike rider. It's step-through which was a big deal for her, and she loves it for casual riding, especially since we can fit two folder plus the dog into my Mini Cooper. The weight issues never come to bear, and she likes the styling.
Old 07-11-11, 11:18 AM
Geeeyejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have had my Citizen Tokyo for about three weeks now and so far very happy with the purchase - I made a few minor mods - new high pressure tires, higher geared freewheel and a leather saddle - the bike now is a solid commuter and I am keeping pace with full sized bikes on the road - even with the mods - still a good value!
Old 07-11-11, 12:17 PM
vmaniqui

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Geeeyejo
Have had my Citizen Tokyo for about three weeks now and so far very happy with the purchase - I made a few minor mods - new high pressure tires, higher geared freewheel and a leather saddle - the bike now is a solid commuter and I am keeping pace with full sized bikes on the road - even with the mods - still a good value!
let me tell you about my citizen tokyo. i bought one used for $100 and thought at that time that it's such a good deal for a used folding bike. i rode and used it for about a month or so and realized that it's not what i wanted. for one i can't roll it while folded, it's way too heavy to be carried, gearings are so low, sub par components. but boy, it started my folderitis. i decided to sell it for $125 and went CL way to find a used dahon. i was able to find a used boardwalk D6 for $125 and the difference is like night and day. trust me - been there done that. between citizen bikes and dahons, it's dahon for me now. just my 2 cents and probably personal preference.....
Old 07-12-11, 12:23 AM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ubringliten
Kam, that looks like a good bike! Please post on here about it when you get it.
Chris, we got this morning the Nova, 36 hours before the promised deadline. So far we are very happy with it. When the bike arrived I did a quick tuneup (breaks, seat position, gear, etc) and it took less than 1 hour. Also replaced the tubes to Presta (we don't have a Schrader pump). Otherwise it is 100% stock. The component in general are not high grade (not surprising considering the price) but the bike rides and behave very well. Brakes are good (better than Brompton), gear shifts with no problem, frame and stem are relatively stiff and the bike is light (ligher than any other folder we have had). The frame hinge is Dahon like and closes well and the stem hinge is Brompton/Tikit like (though a little bit more complex) and it locks the stem very well (better than the Dahon stem lock my son has on his My P24). The sitting position is upright (you may or may not like it, my wife does) and it even came with a small bell. The bike does not come with fenders or rack (which we would take off anyway) and has a kickstand. The bike came with narrow Kenda tires (65 PSI max) that roll very well so we plan to leave them on. The handlebar stem is telescoping and moves few inches up and down (we use it at the lowest position). The seat post height is also adjustable of course. The **** does not roll when folded (many folders do not) but it has support triangle under the bottom bracket that causes it to stand nicely when folded. It also has holes for water bottle mount on top of the main tube (I wish Brompton would do the same). I also noticed that the bike has a mount for front derailleur for future mods (which we don't plan to do). Our bike has light green color and IMO looks very elegant and aesthetic (in general I prefer straight lines bike like Dahon Speed D7 over the curvy Mu P8 and the like).

Things I would improve
1. The seat tube does not have tile adjustment, just forward backward rails.
2. Better protection of the derailleur in the packaging. The derailleur touches the box and can be damaged during shipping (our did not).
3. A configuration choice between up right and a semi recline position. In our case the upright position is perfect though other may prefer a more reclined position.

Overall it represents very good value and it seems that somebody (Yan?) made a very careful selection of features and components to cramp and much as possible value and at the same time, avoid unnecessary stuff. For us it was a very good purchase. YMMV.

Kam
Old 07-12-11, 05:41 AM
Niked

Bikes: 2009 Downtube FS8, 1970 Raleigh Gran Prix, 2009 Citizen Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The compact Tokyo is a great bike to keep in the trunk/hatch of your car for spur of the moment riding. I love the way it folds. Now, if it could just be a little lighter...
Old 07-12-11, 08:48 AM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Niked
The compact Tokyo is a great bike to keep in the trunk/hatch of your car for spur of the moment riding. I love the way it folds. Now, if it could just be a little lighter...
Yes, standard size wheels (20") are sometimes too big and cumbersome ;-)
Old 07-12-11, 11:41 AM
Geeeyejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vmaniqui
for one i can't roll it while folded, it's way too heavy to be carried, .
The Tokyo actually does roll when folded - I just secure the fork and rear frame together with the provided velcro strap - extend the seat and wheel the bike (holding the seat) on both wheels - rolls pretty well! As for carrying, I can easily grasp the frame or the seat post and carry the bike on/off trains, up stairs, etc - I am a big boy though and do believe some might have difficulty carrying...
Old 07-12-11, 12:26 PM
vmaniqui

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Tokyo actually does roll when folded - I just secure the fork and rear frame together with the provided velcro strap - extend the seat and wheel the bike (holding the seat) on both wheels - rolls pretty well! As for carrying, I can easily grasp the frame or the seat post and carry the bike on/off trains, up stairs, etc - I am a big boy though and do believe some might have difficulty carrying...
good to know that it can be rolled while folded. i never experimented when i had my tokyo. as for being heavy i just compared it to my boardwalk at that time. i was happy with my tokyo but i wanted more for my folding bike so i decided to get something else. and also the tinkering side of me got in the way. i wanted to upgrade my bikes but thought that tokyo might have it's limitations.
Old 07-15-11, 10:31 PM
chimpanzee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you point me to your upgrades: high pressure tires & higher geared freewheel?
Old 07-17-11, 07:35 AM
Geeeyejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chimpanzee
Can you point me to your upgrades: high pressure tires & higher geared freewheel?
Kenda Kwest 16x1.5 100psi - also a Long Yih (sp?) freewheel obtained on Ebay - search for 11t freewheel - note it is a 7 speed freewheel - changing the shifter is optional if you want to hit all 7 gears - I have it adjusted to hit the highest 6...
Old 05-20-14, 01:45 PM
ShermCraig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, here we are about 3 years later - I'd like to see if any of the feelings expressed 3 years ago have changed. Anyone chime in? I'm considering a Citizen Bike and I live in Manhattan. I'll likely use it for commuting to work (not far) and just bopping around the city. I understand there have been improvements, but I imagine the other brands have also improved. So, what say you all? Thanks!!

Originally Posted by ubringliten
Hello there,

Sorry this topic must be posted many times. I did a search for Citizen bikes on here and it's really difficult going through random threads, so I am going to post this.

My friend is interested in one but we have no idea about Citizen bikes, let alone folding bikes. He will have a 2 miles commute and he's on a budget. There are a few models and which do you recommend? Is it a knockoff of Dahon? If so, should he test them out first in person since Citizen bikes are only available online? Or do you know of any other brand that is under $400?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 05-20-14, 02:21 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
When I visited my brother in California; I borrowed one of them(he's got 3 Citizen Tokyo's).
I thought it was ok for the price; I even did some light off roading with it. Fast forward one year later;
Jetblue Air wouldn't let me check-in my Brompton in a cardboard box as my 1st piece of luggage on an
international flight. Instead of spending US$350 on a BW case for my B'ton; I purchased a used Tokyo
on Craigslist. Disassembled and squeezed it in my luggage then flew with that bike to Aruba.
Had a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR2T...IoDLA&index=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUUC...IoDLA&index=22
Old 05-20-14, 02:24 PM
ShermCraig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you - I appreciate your input!

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
When I visited my brother in California; I borrowed one of them(he's got 3 Citizen Tokyo's).
I thought it was ok for the price; I even did some light off roading with it. Fast forward one year later;
Jetblue Air wouldn't let me check-in my Brompton in a cardboard box as my 1st piece of luggage on an
international flight. Instead of spending US$350 on a BW case for my B'ton; I purchased a used Tokyo
on Craigslist. Disassembled and squeezed it in my luggage then flew with that bike to Aruba.
Had a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR2T...IoDLA&index=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUUC...IoDLA&index=22
Old 05-20-14, 02:34 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
My wife has one and she loves it. She's had it a year with no problems. The only maintenance has been lubing the chain and replacing a tube/flat.
Old 05-20-14, 03:06 PM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
A few months back I bumped into a fellow commuter downtown, and he was riding an orange Gotham 2. very nice looking bike.

We chatted a bit at the intersection and shared folding bike info. He got his around a year and half ago and he bikes daily with it to and from work which was around 5 km each way with little elevation. He was very happy with it, mentioned he did have to do a bit of initial adjustments when he received it. Left it stock other than swapping out the seat for an older Brooks that he had, and he put on some non-folding platform pedals, and he did put in a set of Kojaks.

It looked very nice and he seemed quite happy with his purchase.
Old 05-20-14, 03:26 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Warning, biased reply. Take a look at Origami Bicycles at OrigamiBicycles.com. I believe that our bikes are superior and better equipped at a better price.

Last edited by Pinigis; 05-25-14 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 07:01 PM
ShermCraig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Do you happen to know the model she has?

Originally Posted by StanSeven
My wife has one and she loves it. She's had it a year with no problems. The only maintenance has been lubing the chain and replacing a tube/flat.
Old 05-24-14, 09:55 PM
ShermCraig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
Warning, biased reply. Take a look at Origami Bicycles at OrigamiBicycles.com. I believe that poor bikes are superior and better equipped at a better price.
Hi Pinigis - they look really great!

Last edited by ShermCraig; 05-25-14 at 11:40 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.