Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone heard of or purchased Papamotor electric conversion kits?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Anyone heard of or purchased Papamotor electric conversion kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 04:33 PM
spirit733t

Bikes: Saracen Killi Chromo 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@EBikeFL

would you know exactly what is the controller type on the papa motor kit? do you know how many mosfets it has and what type?

what do you mean when you say dremel the pas ?

how many miles do you think you have done so far in total on the kit?

any idea what is the c rating on the ping battery?

any idea what has been your peak power in watts so far using the kit?

Old 07-23-12, 04:37 PM
EBikeFL 

Bikes: 2012 Kona Lanai

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Hey there. Sounds like there is some experience out there. This is what I want to put it on, to carry my dogs to the park so they can run. It currently has a coaster brake, and I've yet to measure the dropout spacing. Horizontal dropout, I believe. Can it work?

https://safe-img03.olx.com.mx/ui/5/18...AMPO-VIEJO.jpg
Interesting bicycle but not a good idea installing the hub motor without proper brakes. Coaster brakes won't cut it.

How big are your dogs? You could use one of these cargo carriers if they are small https://www.cetmacargo.com/CETMACargoRacksHello.htm
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-23-12, 04:45 PM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spirit733t
@EBikeFL
would you know exactly what is the controller type on the papa motor kit? do you know how many mosfets it has and what type?

No, I don't know too much about the controller except it's good for 30A.

what do you mean when you say dremel the pas ?

I had to use a Dremel to enlarge the PAS to fit my bottom bracket. I think my bottom bracket was 40mm and the PAS ring is 36-37mm.

how many miles do you think you have done so far in total on the kit?

I'd have to check the Cycle Analyst but off the top of my head I'd say I'm between 800-1000 miles so far.

any idea what is the c rating on the ping battery?

No, no idea. You can send Ping an email if the information is not on his website. He will respond in less than 24 hrs.

any idea what has been your peak power in watts so far using the kit?
My peak, if I remember correctly, has been 52-56 volts.
Soylent Green is People!

Last edited by EBikeFL; 07-24-12 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Change of units from watts to volts
Old 07-23-12, 04:48 PM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfi8
Thanks EBikeFL...My first was an Electric-Rider Kit, a Crystalyte "Brute" on a 80$ Huffy - this Montague is a bit more serious...let me see if I can figure out how to post a pic of the Huffy here...

Hmm....not sure that worked.

Here goes...

D'oh!

R
Nice, what kind of numbers as far as distance, speed, etc. were you getting with the first setup?
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-23-12, 05:14 PM
jfi8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again EBikeFL

Standard SLAs, it gets (got) about 20 miles with minimal pedaling, 20 mph.

Built it about 2 years ago, maybe 200 miles on the batteries but they're still good for about 15.

Of course, it's a toy; heavy, brakes are terrible, and the frame has gotten soft, but I still like it.

I want to use the Montague for commuting to work..

Last edited by jfi8; 07-23-12 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 01:21 PM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfi8
Hi again EBikeFL

Standard SLAs, it gets (got) about 20 miles with minimal pedaling, 20 mph.

Built it about 2 years ago, maybe 200 miles on the batteries but they're still good for about 15.

Of course, it's a toy; heavy, brakes are terrible, and the frame has gotten soft, but I still like it.

I want to use the Montague for commuting to work..
The hub motor may still have some life left in it.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-24-12, 01:32 PM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, my thumb throttle must have overheard my comments about it. Yesterday, during my commute it gave out. I knew there was something wrong with it from the beginning since the wires for the red button may have been switched. The red button worked opposite the way it was intended too. Papamotor had already sent me a replacement twist throttle...the nice one I've been talking about on this thread. I guess I'm going to get the chance to install and use it.

I didn't realize how much I needed a throttle until I missed it. There are a few small hills where it would be tough for me to get momentum on the pedals without the assistance of the throttle and before the PAS took over. Today, I timed my intersection with these inclines which also happen to be at traffic lights just right to avoid from completely stopping.

If it wasn't for the PAS I never would've been able to get home and another reason you may want to seriously consider installing it. If you have the handlebar throttle (thumb or twist) AND the PAS working then if either one stops working you can still get home using the battery, otherwise, your SOL.

Stay tuned...more to come.
Soylent Green is People!

Last edited by EBikeFL; 07-24-12 at 01:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-24-12, 06:29 PM
jfi8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Papamotor controller mod

Originally Posted by EBikeFL
The hub motor may still have some life left in it.
I'll recycle the motor into a new bike when my build fund recovers in a couple of years.

That motor has sure worked out well; never had a problem with it (or any other part from that kit, for that matter; big thumbs up to Electric-Rider from me).

Also, if the price of lithium goes down in a couple of years, I expect that big Clyte could carry some serious amperage on a long cruiser, heh...

Batteries arrived today, so if I can slip away to the post office, I'll pick 'em up tomorrow...

Cheers

R

Still no word from DHoward...
Old 07-25-12, 06:31 PM
dhoward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 mph limiter

The part that does the limiting looks like the drawing attached. I'd send a photo but am traveling this week. If it is plugged in, then you are limited to 20 mph. Take it off and you will be in the 30's.

The mod I did was to add an on/off switch in series with one of the wires. It worked for a while, but then stopped. Not sure why. I took the switch back off and plug it in when I want limiting and take it off otherwise. The battery bag has a pocket that is perfect for storing the piece so it doesn't get lost.

I use the limiter when I want more exercise or when traveling beyond the normal battery range. Higher speeds use more power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20 mph limiter.jpg (31.7 KB, 29 views)
20 mph toggle.jpg (19.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by dhoward; 07-25-12 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error in title
Old 07-26-12, 10:16 AM
kd5ete

Bikes: Polaris Sportsman 21 speed Comfort bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi EBikeFL,
I recently purchased a papamtor 48v 1000w 26" front wheel system from papamotor back in may 2012 & placed it on my polaris sportsman comfort bike which i ride to work & back home 3 - 4 times a week.My commute is a 20 mile round trip & i get top speeds of around 31 mph on the flat surface.For a man that weighs 219 lbs.,i am more than satisified with the system. I have a few hills on the way to work which of course pulls the speed down but the only time i pedal is when i first take off from a dead stop & that is by choice as i have the pedal assist connected up as well to help the bike out & not put such a load on the battery from a dead stop to start.I purchased a 48v 20ah lifepoe4 battery thru another business on EBay.The only difference in the ah is that the 20 ah will give you a little more range than the 15 ah but not any more speed & at 31mph,i am satisified with that although i am currently looking at building another Ebike that will go around 40 -45 mph that will have a 72v 40ah system on it yet it will be on a bicycle frame & look like a bicycle & not an Emotorcycle.But as far as the papamotor system,i have almost 400 miles on the system & have not had any mechanical problems with it as of yet. I'll try & post a picture or 2 on here soon as i am a NEWBIE on here at the moment.LOL Good luck with your bike & i hope that you have as much fun on it as this ole man is having on his.
Old 07-26-12, 12:02 PM
spirit733t

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow more people with the papmotor kit?

@kd5ete: is this your first kit? if so what made you buy this kit? what sort of forks do you have on your bike?
Old 07-26-12, 12:09 PM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, kd5ete. Well, it looks like we have an equal number of front wheel and rear wheel 48v 1000w Papamotor users now. I've been considering building another e-bike as well with similar increases in speed (40-45 mph). If you plan on going that fast you may want to consider getting a front fairing. It makes a big difference.

Working with the Papamotor engineers it appears that my controller is the problem and not my thumb throttle. I really didn't want to switch out the thumb throttle so I'm some what glad it's the controller. Papamotor is shipping me a new controller and I will send the broken one back for their analysis. I've had to use my car in the meantime.

The problems with the various rear tires feeling slippery weren't problems with the tires at all. It appears the spokes on the rear rim had started to loosen...some were very loose. I've since tightened them up and done my best to true the rear rim at the same time. You may want to keep an eye on the hub motor spokes as you put more mileage on the kit.

I purchased the Jandd Grocery Bag Pannier (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00) about a month ago but didn't realize that my cargo cache would interfere with its attachment to the bike rack. I've come up with a solution to get it to fit and will have pictures up soon.

The modifications to the top half of the cargo cache to hold the controller finally worked. My first attempt I didn't mix the two part epoxy very well and the parts meant to stay attached to the top of the cargo cache fell off. I made sure to mix the epoxy the second time around and it worked. The controller is very happy and out of the way of the Ping battery now.

Here's a picture of the top of the cargo cache with the mods:
Attached Images
CargoCacheCoverWithMods.jpg (99.9 KB, 36 views)
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-26-12, 05:44 PM
spirit733t

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ ebikefl.

thanks for the feedback on the issues your having.. this will help all people to have better understanding of this kit..
Old 07-26-12, 05:54 PM
spirit733t

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ ebikefl..

I've been considering building another e-bike as well with similar increases in speed (40-45 mph)
lol the classic case of never being happy with what you have.. even if you have a great car.. u still want the next one up.. its cool.. right at this moment I just want to able to buy that 34 mph kit..

all the best
Old 07-26-12, 06:12 PM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ ebikefl.

thanks for the feedback on the issues your having.. this will help all people to have better understanding of this kit..
I think we should put together some sort of issue vs. solution type of document and also list as many of the variables as possible one very important one being the current mileage on the kit. I think I lead everyone with the Papamotor kit in mileage for the rear wheel setup; anyone out there with more miles we'd love to hear from you.

Spirit733t, now you got me talking about a owners manual for this kit.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-26-12, 06:19 PM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ ebikefl..

lol the classic case of never being happy with what you have.. even if you have a great car.. u still want the next one up.. its cool.. right at this moment I just want to able to buy that 34 mph kit..

all the best
Yeah, you're right but I know if I go past my current speed I'm going to attract the attention of the police. I think I would be more comfortable at those speeds in a trike; however, there is the problem of parking a trike. Where do you park it when your commuting because it takes up so much room? If you park it at a bike stand meant for other bicyclist then you will upset the other riders when they have nowhere to secure their bikes.

Anyway, let me stick to making my current e-bike as bullet proof as possible. I still want to attach another battery to 1) extend my range before recharging and 2) decrease the number of times I recharge per day to just once.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-26-12, 06:54 PM
jfi8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhoward

The part that does the limiting looks like the drawing attached. I'd send a photo but am traveling this week. If it is plugged in, then you are limited to 20 mph. Take it off and you will be in the 30's.

The mod I did was to add an on/off switch in series with one of the wires. It worked for a while, but then stopped. Not sure why. I took the switch back off and plug it in when I want limiting and take it off otherwise. The battery bag has a pocket that is perfect for storing the piece so it doesn't get lost.

I use the limiter when I want more exercise or when traveling beyond the normal battery range. Higher speeds use more power.
Thanks DHoward! I'll check this out.

R
Old 07-26-12, 07:12 PM
kd5ete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi spirit. yes,this is my first kit to install. the front suspension is steel as is the rest of the bike & that is why i chose the bike. I did a lot of research on different systems & this is the 2nd system of choice because of price.My first choice would be the crystalyte system because of a better built system overall as i see it,plus the fact that I called & spoke with dave at great length through several phone calls where we spent roughly 2 hours between the 3 calls talking about my system versus his system & all the information that we passed to each other was a help to both parties.Dave really impressed me because of his knowledge of electrical componetry & knowing throughly about a system that one sells,you better know everything there is to know.
I think i did about 1 1/2 months of research before i decided to purchase the papamotor. As a kid,I was always moving around the world as my father was in the army for 21 years so i got to see a lot of different ways of life & cultures which helps me appreciate each nation of this earth & there ways of life.China is a diverse & different culture than americans are used to seeing but they have some good products & i believe that papamotor is one of them.Plus i have a high respect for Tanking Wong as he is a true believer in what he sells & appears to back up his product to a T.
I've only had the system for a couple of months now & after almost 457 miles as of this post,i had not had any problems from the system.i have a 48v 20ah lifepoe battery that gets me between 40 -45 miles b 4 i have to recharge it.the bike has regular street tires on it & i replaced my rear 14 guage rim with a 12 guage rim which give the bike that much more support.All in all,i am happy with what i have accomplished thus far as i am not a technically brainy person. it's taken several weeks of trial & error to make things right to my feel.If i can figure out how to post some pictures on here,i will do so you can see the work in progress. have a great day.mike
Old 07-26-12, 07:20 PM
kd5ete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi EBike.This is a picture of my bike.I wanted the mini apehangers on the bike.makes me feel like a miniture harley Ebiker.LOL This past weekend I took it to the shop & replaced the rear 14 guage rim with a dougle walled 12 guage rim & a bigger & softer saddle for a smooooooooooother ride.
Attached Images
My new battery box 004.jpg (95.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-26-12, 07:26 PM
kd5ete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey EBike As of this post,i have 457 miles on my front wheel set up.Let er rip tater chip.
Attached Images
My new battery box 004.jpg (95.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-27-12, 05:25 AM
spirit733t

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@kd5ete; thanks for the info and feedback, good to get lots of positive reviews of the papamotor kit..

I think it would be great if we can get as much info as possible both good and bad, as Ebikefl mentioned, we can build our own FAQ and solutions..

I mean now we are building up a massive load of information on this kit, this will seriously help people like myself..

Please do post as many pictures and videos as possible... lets make this the number 1 user friendly kit out there...

all the best
Old 07-27-12, 06:49 AM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kd5ete
Hi EBike.This is a picture of my bike.I wanted the mini apehangers on the bike.makes me feel like a miniture harley Ebiker.LOL This past weekend I took it to the shop & replaced the rear 14 guage rim with a dougle walled 12 guage rim & a bigger & softer saddle for a smooooooooooother ride.
So that's what you call those handlebars. Interesting. I've seen them before...they sure make the bicycle stand out. Don't your arms get tired after riding several miles? I agree about having a bigger, softer seat. I'm thinking about upgrading mine.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-27-12, 06:54 AM
EBikeFL 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kd5ete
Hey EBike As of this post,i have 457 miles on my front wheel set up.Let er rip tater chip.
"Let er rip tater chip"...is that a Louisiana saying?

You might have the most miles for the front wheel setup. I wonder what DHoward has now?
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-27-12, 08:05 AM
kd5ete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually,i get more tired with the orginal straight bars that came with the bike.with the ape hangers , i'm sitting more staight up than leaning forward.It doesn't help with the wind but i'm not trying to break any speed records either.lol.The bars only come up about arm level if you hold your arms straight out & maybe just a tad lower.Like any handle bar,you can adjust it to fit your comfort. I have a set of BMX handlebars on it now as i got a new set in this past weekend.I wanted to try this set out because it has the cross bar in the center & i can put my stinger flashlight mount ,speedometer & other light mount up higher which really helps out.i will post a new picture on here later today with the current setup. EBikeFL,do you have a cycle analyst hooked up to your system ? If you do ,what kind is it & how did you connect it to make it work? i'm interested in getting one but haven't figures out how to rig it up.

Last edited by kd5ete; 07-27-12 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-27-12, 04:57 PM
SiXiam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I bought a bike off of ebay.
A new 2011 GT Avalanche 1.0
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1098189_-1___

I paid $559.02(shipped), which is a very good price for the bike.
I'm hoping its not some mistake.

After I get it all assembled and riding good, I'll order the PapaMotor Jade and the Ping battery.
Good-bye bus!
In about a month.

Attached Images
bike.jpg (81.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by SiXiam; 07-27-12 at 05:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.