Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Observations on Weight Loss

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Observations on Weight Loss

Old 08-28-19, 12:19 PM
  #351  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,363

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Feel free, I'm pretty sure mine are better.

The tip-off your health is bad is how obsessive you are about telling people how bad theirs is. Your posting history likewise indicates that, but I'll leave that to other people to find.
I am not, nor have I been over weight, nor under weight.

I intermittent fast because It's how we are created. The reason for doing 72 hour fast is because that is what resets the immune/digestive system. fasting also develops self control.

fasting can be used to lose massive amounts of weight and excessive skin from weight loss also. no need for surgery. Dry fasting (something I have not done) saved a diabetics leg/foot.

So why am I so vocal about peoples eating habits.... Mandated insurance policies and the increase of premium rates by the forced insurance of unhealthy people that eat like hogs.

The day you want my voice to go away , will be the day you quit dipping into my savings account.
Metieval is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 12:29 PM
  #352  
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 5,650

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 1,333 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
I am not, nor have I been over weight, nor under weight.

I intermittent fast because It's how we are created. The reason for doing 72 hour fast is because that is what resets the immune/digestive system. fasting also develops self control.

fasting can be used to lose massive amounts of weight and excessive skin from weight loss also. no need for surgery. Dry fasting (something I have not done) saved a diabetics leg/foot.

So why am I so vocal about peoples eating habits.... Mandated insurance policies and the increase of premium rates by the forced insurance of unhealthy people that eat like hogs.

The day you want my voice to go away , will be the day you quit dipping into my savings account.

Well, I'm not the guy who claimed to be debilitated by a commonly known disease that I didn't know how to spell. There are other symptoms of health problems besides weight.


I'm sorry that things are going so poorly for you that you felt a need to start this nonsense up again. Feel better, but I'm out.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-28-19, 12:33 PM
  #353  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,595

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts
stephen colbert is brilliant, but his greatest achievement is the term truthiness: "the quality of seeming or being felt to be true, even if not necessarily true." when it comes to this diet/nutrition stuff there is so much of that.
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-28-19, 12:42 PM
  #354  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by metieval View Post
i am not, nor have i been over weight, nor under weight.

I intermittent fast because it's how we are created. The reason for doing 72 hour fast is because that is what resets the immune/digestive system. Fasting also develops self control.

Fasting can be used to lose massive amounts of weight and excessive skin from weight loss also. No need for surgery. Dry fasting (something i have not done) saved a diabetics leg/foot.

So why am i so vocal about peoples eating habits.... Mandated insurance policies and the increase of premium rates by the forced insurance of unhealthy people that eat like hogs.

The day you want my voice to go away , will be the day you quit dipping into my savings account.
lol!
OBoile is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 01:00 PM
  #355  
radroad
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Organic food also uses pesticides, they just have to be certain ones (and that choice isn't made based on toxicity). There's also not much evidence that eating organic produces any significant health benefits.
I don't think "animals pumped with antibiotics and growth hormones" are good for me, but I've yet to see any compelling evidence that this negatively impacts a person's health (fwiw using growth hormones isn't legal in my country).

Given that there is no clear definition of "processed" I'm not sure we can say that. Also, many berries (and many other plants and animals) are highly toxic, yet would be considered non-processed if I picked them right off the bush. IMO, this is too general a statement to make.

There's no evidence of GMO foods being worse for you than non-GMO foods. Also, saying *any* artificial ingredients are bad is again too general of a statement to make IMO.

I suppose this is true, otherwise the given level of consumption wouldn't be considered "excess".
I'm not sure this is true at all.
Weight bearing exercise, and in particular strength training, is an important component of overall health. I agree.

This is true. But the dosage makes the poison.
Nicotine is what keeps you addicted, it's not generally what kills you (although I'm sure it is "bad" for you).
The dosage makes the poison. I'm not aware of any evidence that says moderate amounts are bad.

Again, the dosage makes the poison. The problem isn't sugar (which is just glucose and fructose, both of which are exactly the same as the glucose and fructose that exists in healthy natural "unprocessed" foods). It's that people eat too much of it.

Common sense may not be as common as it seems. Don't just fall for buzzwords and whatever the latest hype is.
The medical industry and medical research are so corrupted by corporations like monsanto you'd be a fool to believe ANY research findings from mainstream "medical" and "scientific" sources. All mainstream doctors have sold out to the pharmaceutical companies. All of them. And this has been true for at least two decades, probably longer.

As far as cycling, no, cycling alone is not sufficient and is probably not even necessary to be in the best of health. Again, weight bearing exercise is far more important.

Riding a bike is more beneficial for health than driving, but walking is actually a better form of exercise than bicycling. Basically, cycling is better than doing nothing at all, but inferior to walking and weight training. And running on concrete is very bad for your joints.
radroad is offline  
Likes For radroad:
Old 08-28-19, 01:01 PM
  #356  
radroad
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
lol!
This is a dumb response. Some people do actually maintain a normal healthy weight throughout their adult lives.
radroad is offline  
Likes For radroad:
Old 08-28-19, 01:12 PM
  #357  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,595

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad View Post
The medical industry and medical research are so corrupted by corporations like monsanto you'd be a fool to believe ANY research findings from mainstream "medical" and "scientific" sources. All mainstream doctors have sold out to the pharmaceutical companies. All of them. And this has been true for at least two decades, probably longer.
Nope, this is the type of dangerous thinking that allows the anti-vaxxer stuff to maintain hold. There's a lot of unbiased public health research happening, so I won't stand by and allow people to besmirch good research done by some folks I know and respect.
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-28-19, 01:17 PM
  #358  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad View Post
The medical industry and medical research are so corrupted by corporations like monsanto you'd be a fool to believe ANY research findings from mainstream "medical" and "scientific" sources. All mainstream doctors have sold out to the pharmaceutical companies. All of them. And this has been true for at least two decades, probably longer.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Originally Posted by radroad View Post
As far as cycling, no, cycling alone is not sufficient and is probably not even necessary to be in the best of health. Again, weight bearing exercise is far more important.

Riding a bike is more beneficial for health than driving, but walking is actually a better form of exercise than bicycling. Basically, cycling is better than doing nothing at all, but inferior to walking and weight training. And running on concrete is very bad for your joints.
I'm guessing you didn't read my post very carefully... and no, cycling likely isn't inferior to walking. As with many things, intensity matters.

Last edited by OBoile; 08-28-19 at 01:20 PM.
OBoile is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 01:18 PM
  #359  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad View Post
This is a dumb response. Some people do actually maintain a normal healthy weight throughout their adult lives.
Some even manage to do it without having to "reset" their immune system. Crazy, isn't it!?!?!
OBoile is offline  
Likes For OBoile:
Old 08-28-19, 01:24 PM
  #360  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,363

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
and no, cycling likely isn't inferior to walking. As with many things, intensity matters.
apparently "walking intensely" is beyond comprehension here.
Metieval is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 01:26 PM
  #361  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,363

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Some even manage to do it without having to "reset" their immune system. Crazy, isn't it!?!?!
again comprehension..... resetting the immune system isn't where the weight loss comes from.


just to point out the obvious here.
You ridicule fasting, yet you have ZERO understanding of it. Which explains the ridicule.
Metieval is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 01:29 PM
  #362  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,363

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
Nope, this is the type of dangerous thinking that allows the anti-vaxxer stuff to maintain hold. There's a lot of unbiased public health research happening, so I won't stand by and allow people to besmirch good research done by some folks I know and respect.
***Brown shirt alert!!! ***
Metieval is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 01:33 PM
  #363  
guachi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeKahno View Post
Unconvinced? Ok. I'm under no obligation to convince or persuade you.

Disingenuous? Can you cite a single reputable study as evidence that anything Dr. Fung said is false or misleading? Or is it just that the data he presents conflicts with your personal bias?
He erects strawman arguments attributing them to "everyone".

His argument, and the only study he shows that isn't a straw man, is that of the Big Loser contestants.

Eating less is bad but eating nothing is better. That's his argument. He provides one study about fasting for 4 days showing no ill effects. He then suggests you can fast for 12 hours, 12 days, or even 382 days and provides no evidence whatsoever on the effects of fasting that long.

He ends his talk with woo. We should fast because Jesus thought it was good.

There's more but I'm on my phone and typing is a pain. That 36 minute video was crap.
guachi is offline  
Likes For guachi:
Old 08-28-19, 01:36 PM
  #364  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
again comprehension..... resetting the immune system isn't where the weight loss comes from.


just to point out the obvious here.
You ridicule fasting, yet you have ZERO understanding of it. Which explains the ridicule.
Wrong. I ridicule you, because you say ridiculous things that are based on pseudo science.

Oh, and for the record, I wasn't implying that "resetting" the immune system leads to weight loss. I was ridiculing the fact that:
1. You think it's somehow possible, or desirable to reset someones immune system
2. You think that starving yourself is how this gets done

Last edited by OBoile; 08-28-19 at 01:43 PM.
OBoile is offline  
Likes For OBoile:
Old 08-28-19, 01:37 PM
  #365  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,595

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
***Brown shirt alert!!! ***
seriously, you're resorting to calling someone a Nazi as a first response to me?

I have about 8 years of advanced public health research education and a career in health, what the heck is your resume to demonstrate any ability to critically analyze scientific material? you don't have to answer because you're going on my ignore list
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-28-19, 01:38 PM
  #366  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi View Post
He erects strawman arguments attributing them to "everyone".

His argument, and the only study he shows that isn't a straw man, is that of the Big Loser contestants.

Eating less is bad but eating nothing is better. That's his argument. He provides one study about fasting for 4 days showing no ill effects. He then suggests you can fast for 12 hours, 12 days, or even 382 days and provides no evidence whatsoever on the effects of fasting that long.

He ends his talk with woo. We should fast because Jesus thought it was good.

There's more but I'm on my phone and typing is a pain. That 36 minute video was crap.
Frankly I'm amazed you were willing to sit through more than a minute or two. I wasn't willing to watch long enough to even find out what his "secret magical" diet strategy was.
OBoile is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 01:42 PM
  #367  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,674
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 211 Posts
The notion that we were built to intermittent fast is based on a couple of faulty logic arguments.

1. Some notion of a predetermined way we "should" be. Some religious people think we were created to be a certain fixed way but that is a faith based idea and not science based. Pretty well no one does anything the way we used to if you go back far enough.

2. But that's the way the cave men were. Well, they may have just been surviving from meal to meal and not as healthy as they could have been. High mortality and low life expectancy seems to back this up. With the evolution of agriculture and predictable regular availability of food, survival and health rates seem to have risen.
Happy Feet is offline  
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-28-19, 01:45 PM
  #368  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,363

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
seriously, you're resorting to calling someone a Nazi as a first response to me?

I have about 8 years of advanced public health research education and a career in health, what the heck is your resume to demonstrate any ability to critically analyze scientific material? you don't have to answer because you're going on my ignore list
I didn't call you a Nazi. I called your response a brown shirt response. Defend the propaganda!
Metieval is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 01:48 PM
  #369  
guachi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
A good post on Calories In/Calories Out that sums up what I believe:
https://www.precisionnutrition.com/c...n-calories-out

I saw this a few days ago on Facebook and thought of this thread right away.
Good post. More useful than 36 minutes of Dr. Fung.
guachi is offline  
Likes For guachi:
Old 08-28-19, 01:50 PM
  #370  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,363

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
2. But that's the way the cave men were. Well, they may have just been surviving from meal to meal and not as healthy as they could have been. High mortality and low life expectancy seems to back this up. With the evolution of agriculture and predictable regular availability of food, survival and health rates seem to have risen.
apparently you don't know history, some of them cavemen lived multiple centuries
Metieval is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 01:59 PM
  #371  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
I didn't call you a Nazi. I called your response a brown shirt response. Defend the propaganda!
Actually, he's defending science.
OBoile is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 02:00 PM
  #372  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
apparently you don't know history, some of them cavemen lived multiple centuries
Do you really expect people to take you seriously when you say things like this?
OBoile is offline  
Likes For OBoile:
Old 08-28-19, 02:00 PM
  #373  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,363

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Actually, he's defending science.
bought and paid for science
Metieval is offline  
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-28-19, 02:01 PM
  #374  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,363

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Do you really expect people to take you seriously when you say things like this?
you wouldn't anyways, even if I fell in line.
Metieval is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 02:02 PM
  #375  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
bought and paid for science
When your argument boils down to "it's all a giant conspiracy" you probably need to reevaluate your position. His post states he literally knows people doing unbiased research in the field. Are you calling him a liar?
OBoile is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.