Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bikes on a budget

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road bikes on a budget

Old 08-30-19, 05:07 AM
  #26  
Viich
Hack
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 803

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorrister View Post
Figured id update yíall on the outcome of this story. I found this on Facebook marketplace for $200
probably around 10 years old would you say? Ultegra groupset, factory tires are still fresh
Bar tape is gross. Just needs a setup and some tape

that's a beaut. You may end up wearing that old rubber quickly or find you get flats, but I would try them first as well.
Enjoy!
Viich is offline  
Old 08-31-19, 11:10 AM
  #27  
GeezyRider 
Senior Member
 
GeezyRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delaware Sea Shore
Posts: 123

Bikes: 1973 Fuji Special Road Racer, 1980 Dawes Lightning, 1987 Panasonic DX-3000, 1989 Trek 420, 1992 Trek 5200, Catrike Trail, Mercier SC1, Giant Iguana, 2019 Gravity SaltyDog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Good find!!
__________________
Don
GeezyRider is offline  
Old 08-31-19, 08:51 PM
  #28  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,437

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3581 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Claris Gruppo.
Oxymoron.


I am not ripping on the level of drivetrain, only saying those two words dont belong together.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 04:27 AM
  #29  
Gorrister
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I finally had a chance to take her out for her first real ride yesterday hoping to suss out any hidden issues. After 30 fun miles, the verdict: she needs new tires and a new left crank arm. And DAMN what a ride! I love my old miyata, but this bike zips! Very stiff, I can really feel the power through the pedals, and the 9 speed cassette makes the ďget up and goĒ and ascending so much more efficient. The crank arm issue was a surprise, but for a used 10 year old bicycle the thing felt amazing, obviously stored indoors and never ridden. I canít wait to get my clipless mtb pedals on there and really fly.
Gorrister is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 06:24 AM
  #30  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,538

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorrister View Post
I finally had a chance to take her out for her first real ride yesterday hoping to suss out any hidden issues. After 30 fun miles, the verdict: she needs new tires and a new left crank arm..
Be aware these come in different lengths.

What's wrong with it?
dedhed is online now  
Old 09-01-19, 06:31 AM
  #31  
Gorrister
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Be aware these come in different lengths.

What's wrong with it?
Yeah, Iím gonna be super sure I get a match. I have a couple friends who work at bike shops so it shouldnít be too much of a problem. The bozo I bought the bike from (jk, he was a nice guy, even gave me a bag of homegrown jersey tomatoes) installed platform pedals and cross threaded that one, which I found out after 30 miles when the damn thing pretty much just fell out of the crank. As soon as I found that out I carefully removed the other pedal and thankfully that side is good.

ps: I love the dead!
Gorrister is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 06:36 AM
  #32  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,538

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 157 Posts
A well equipped shop can insert a helicoil to repair that, usually cheaper than a new/used arm.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-kit-procedure
dedhed is online now  
Old 09-01-19, 06:49 AM
  #33  
Gorrister
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
A well equipped shop can insert a helicoil to repair that, usually cheaper than a new/used arm.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-kit-procedure
Funny that you mention that! I use helicoils at my studio to retap stripped drum hardware (much smaller size), I was literally just asking my LBS buddy if that was a possibility for the crank.
Gorrister is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 06:51 AM
  #34  
Brocephus
Professional amateur
 
Brocephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ga.
Posts: 599

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
The above advice about "buyer beware" on Craigslist is accurate, but there are also lots of perfectly good, low-miles bikes on there, often at good prices. My current road bike was only a few years old, a 56cm Fuji, original tires,chain and cassette still good, with Shimano 105, that retailed for $1200, that I snagged on Craigslist early last summer, for $350!
Obviously, it helps if you have enough knowledge to know what to look for, but the used market is full of good bikes that the owner bought, barely rode, then parked in the garage for a couple years. The Bikes Direct route is fine, but personally, I'd first have my cash in-hand, and be ready to pounce on a Craigslist deal (and I've noticed the better deals get scarfed pretty quick, so don't waffle around when you spot a good one.)
Brocephus is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 06:57 AM
  #35  
Gorrister
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus View Post
The above advice about "buyer beware" on Craigslist is accurate, but there are also lots of perfectly good, low-miles bikes on there, often at good prices. My current road bike was only a few years old, a 56cm Fuji, original tires,chain and cassette still good, with Shimano 105, that retailed for $1200, that I snagged on Craigslist early last summer, for $350!
Obviously, it helps if you have enough knowledge to know what to look for, but the used market is full of good bikes that the owner bought, barely rode, then parked in the garage for a couple years. The Bikes Direct route is fine, but personally, I'd first have my cash in-hand, and be ready to pounce on a Craigslist deal (and I've noticed the better deals get scarfed pretty quick, so don't waffle around when you spot a good one.)
Thatís exactly what I did, good advice! I was able to find a barely ridden garage stored specialized allez expert with Ultegra groupset on Facebook marketplace for $200, checked it out right away and it was exactly what I was looking for
Gorrister is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 07:17 AM
  #36  
Brocephus
Professional amateur
 
Brocephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ga.
Posts: 599

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorrister View Post
Thatís exactly what I did, good advice! I was able to find a barely ridden garage stored specialized allez expert with Ultegra groupset on Facebook marketplace for $200, checked it out right away and it was exactly what I was looking for
Killer score ! Beats the hell outa my deal !
Brocephus is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 08:03 AM
  #37  
guachi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Looks like a nice bike. And the fixes shouldn't be too much. Tires and bar tape are wear items, anyway. And replacing the pedals shouldn't be that expensive.

Good find!
guachi is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 08:07 AM
  #38  
Gorrister
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi View Post
Looks like a nice bike. And the fixes shouldn't be too much. Tires and bar tape are wear items, anyway. And replacing the pedals shouldn't be that expensive.

Good find!
Thank you! My buddy quoted me $35 to retap the crank with a helicoil. So all I need are some mtb shoes to go with my double sided clipless pedals and she will be complete 😎
Gorrister is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 09:10 AM
  #39  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 21,809

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Nope, dont buy it. 105 has a paddle plus brake lever. Tourney has a thumb button.
That alone makes for a totally different feel.
I agree but for very different reasons. Forget the shift levers, there is a distinct difference in the derailer mechanisms. The Tourney has a soft hanger that bends easily and the pivot points are very sloppy. Index shifting requires precise movement and positioning of the derailer and Tourney simply canít do that well. I spend a lot of time trying to straighten Tourneys on HelMart bikes at my local co-op. I can get them to work but it takes a lot of effort and they never work that well. Even Acera or Claris are far better derailers.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
cyccommute is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 09:11 AM
  #40  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,638
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 222 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorrister View Post
Thanks! I was leaning towards bikesdirect but donít have any background on the experience. I do my own setups anyway so the mail order thing isnít a huge deal. What about sizing? Iím 5í9Ē so Iím thinking a 56cm frame? Does anyone my size have experience with a smaller size ie 53-54cm?
I would base your sizing decision on the measurements of your old bike and how well (or not) it fits.

Iím 5í10Ē, and my best fit always ends up being on frames no bigger than 50 (my Soma Fog Cutter is a 48). I am clearly an outlier, but it happens. I spent many years, and several bikes, that were too big (long) for me until I figured this out.

Regarding BD: My wife had a CF Windsor a while back. It was a fine bike, but you really need to go over the build on these bikes as the assembly can be lacking. Both of the wheels had bearings that wear too tightly pre-loaded, and the cable/housing was sloppy.

And while they are a good value for the money, they are not as spectacular as they lead you to believe. They cut corners where it is less obvious..

But still, if you can wrench your own stuff, they can work out great.

EDIT: sorry, I see youíve already gotten a bike. Guess I shouldíve read the thread before responding.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 09:31 AM
  #41  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 14,805

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
I agree but for very different reasons. Forget the shift levers, there is a distinct difference in the derailer mechanisms. The Tourney has a soft hanger that bends easily and the pivot points are very sloppy. Index shifting requires precise movement and positioning of the derailer and Tourney simply canít do that well. I spend a lot of time trying to straighten Tourneys on HelMart bikes at my local co-op. I can get them to work but it takes a lot of effort and they never work that well. Even Acera or Claris are far better derailers.
That's true enough, but I've had Tourney derailleurs that lasted pretty well and were never a problem for shifting, so that's a little over-stated IME. For the small price difference I wouldn't choose Tourney for a replacement however.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 09:41 AM
  #42  
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 21,809

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
That's true enough, but I've had Tourney derailleurs that lasted pretty well and were never a problem for shifting, so that's a little over-stated IME. For the small price difference I wouldn't choose Tourney for a replacement however.
Perhaps older ones were a bit better but ones made within the last 3 to 5 years are universally poorly made...but that is true for all HelMart bikes. I see a lot of Tourneys that will move up and down in a perpendicular motion 2 to 3mm around the parallelogram pivots. Derailers donít usually move in the direction at all.
__________________
Stuart Black
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
cyccommute is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 09:48 AM
  #43  
Gorrister
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
I would base your sizing decision on the measurements of your old bike and how well (or not) it fits.

Iím 5í10Ē, and my best fit always ends up being on frames no bigger than 50 (my Soma Fog Cutter is a 48). I am clearly an outlier, but it happens. I spent many years, and several bikes, that were too big (long) for me until I figured this out.

Regarding BD: My wife had a CF Windsor a while back. It was a fine bike, but you really need to go over the build on these bikes as the assembly can be lacking. Both of the wheels had bearings that wear too tightly pre-loaded, and the cable/housing was sloppy.

And while they are a good value for the money, they are not as spectacular as they lead you to believe. They cut corners where it is less obvious..

But still, if you can wrench your own stuff, they can work out great.

EDIT: sorry, I see youíve already gotten a bike. Guess I shouldíve read the thread before responding.
No worries, the advice is still very much appreciated! Of course Iíll hopefully get years of enjoyment out of my new bike, but it certainly wonít be the last one I ever buy, so itís good to have perspective on the BD route
Gorrister is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 09:56 AM
  #44  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 14,805

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
Perhaps older ones were a bit better but ones made within the last 3 to 5 years are universally poorly made...but that is true for all HelMart bikes. I see a lot of Tourneys that will move up and down in a perpendicular motion 2 to 3mm around the parallelogram pivots. Derailers don’t usually move in the direction at all.
Speaking again for myself, I haven't bought a Tourney DR in over 5 years so I couldn't argue that and for $25 Tourney and $30 Claris I couldn't see much reason to cheap out so it may be kind of mute. It just wouldn't be a deal-killer for me on a used bike or inexpensive BD bike.

BTW congrats to OP on his Ultegra bike!
wphamilton is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
exmechanic89
General Cycling Discussion
14
03-30-16 08:11 PM
chschen
Commuting
18
11-20-13 12:16 PM
jgadd
Triathlon
3
11-09-13 06:40 PM
cyclone24
Road Cycling
112
06-05-13 06:46 PM
eflan
General Cycling Discussion
11
05-20-13 11:50 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.