Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why support your LBS?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why support your LBS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 01:25 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I never thought it was a question. Lots of times you need things done in person, not on Amazon.
Old 09-16-19, 08:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
One bike shop I worked at just loved the "Window Shoppers" who'd come in, spend a lot of time asking questions about this or that component or groupset or other item, handling that item or items, and then leave only to buy the item or items online. Then they'd return and want us to put the item or items onto the bike for them. Of course we charged them a premium. After all we spent a lot of an employee's time giving them advice. We had a term for such people but forum rules here prohibit its use.

Cheers
Wait- you charged different amounts of money for the same work just based on if someone in the shop felt the customer had been in prior to learn about the component(s)?
That is about the shadiest thing a shop can do- charge different prices based on who the customer is.

Awful practice and I am surprised it wasnt meat with resistance and argument.
Along these lines, why a shop wouldnt clearly display standard service pricing is odd.

Not sure why you proudly retell that story...its one that's best kept quiet.
Old 09-16-19, 09:05 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
MY LBS earned my business. I rolled in the door, litterally because it was wide open. I asked if I could use their chain gauge. So I paid $30 for a chain that I could have got for $20 online. Maybe I should buy a chain gauge?

Then it wouldn't be fun. A lot of shops need a hang out zone. In my opinion.
Old 09-17-19, 01:35 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wait- you charged different amounts of money for the same work just based on if someone in the shop felt the customer had been in prior to learn about the component(s)?
That is about the shadiest thing a shop can do- charge different prices based on who the customer is.

Awful practice and I am surprised it wasnt meat with resistance and argument.
Along these lines, why a shop wouldnt clearly display standard service pricing is odd.

Not sure why you proudly retell that story...its one that's best kept quiet.
Yes, that shop charged differently if the owner knew the parts were bought elsewhere after the customer had spent a lot of time browsing the same parts in the owner's store. The owner also insisted that we charge for everything we did no matter how small the adjustment or part = there were no freebies at that shop. I didn't particularly like working there but it was a job at a time I really needed a job.

There was a store here in town where the owner would NOT touch a low-end or department store for any reason at all. He was a bit of a character though who wanted people to come in, buy the item they wanted and then leave. He even stated that to one customer.

Needless to say both shops are no longer in business although that's not necessarily because of their poilices and practices. Many GOOD bicycle shops are also gone. I miss Pedlar Bicycles on Avenue Road and Dupont Street in Toronto, Canada. That was a REALLY good shop.

Cheers
Old 09-17-19, 05:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Pretty sure the Trucker needs a new chain. Off to a LBS this afternoon.
Old 09-17-19, 01:02 PM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Last month I had stopped by my LBS once - sometime twice a week to buy a new mountain bike. I had bought a hybrid from them in January. I did hang out to see what bikes they could get and because I needed to see which would fit me. They could not get anything in my size from their brands to due to new model year. I ended up buying a XXL bike from a different shop almost twenty miles away that had them (2020s) in stock. So I went back to my LBS yesterday to pick out a frame pump. I did ask them about riding as I was getting back into it. I do like them for larger purchases and local knowledge. I also buy things from Amazon as they do not have the selection. So it is mixed with me. I do not hang out as much now that I am riding my new bike but do like stopping in as they do not mind talking to me and encouraging me. If they are busy I make it short.
Old 09-17-19, 01:29 PM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I haven't been to the lbs in a year now, they really rubbed me the wrong way with a purchase
I was buying everything from them , trying to support them , showed up on a tuesday night and told the owner
that I was coming in the next night with my wife, wanted to get her a bike for her birthday and didn't want to go overboard with the sale
as I kinda knew that she wasn't going to ride a lot, and didn't want to waste a lot of money
showed up the next night, and with her there in front of me, he picked out a tricked out mountain bike and then told her
she needed to upgrade the seat, handle bars, pedals, new helmet, gloves, oil, shoes, that guy did me a favor to almost 3 grand
and the bike sits there and has been ridden 3 times.
I understand that he has to sell stuff to make money, but as a steady customer, he used the fact that she was there to force the
purchase. real bum move, and it has cost him three times that in the last year.
Old 09-17-19, 03:57 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom L
I haven't been to the lbs in a year now, they really rubbed me the wrong way with a purchase
I was buying everything from them , trying to support them , showed up on a tuesday night and told the owner
that I was coming in the next night with my wife, wanted to get her a bike for her birthday and didn't want to go overboard with the sale
as I kinda knew that she wasn't going to ride a lot, and didn't want to waste a lot of money
showed up the next night, and with her there in front of me, he picked out a tricked out mountain bike and then told her
she needed to upgrade the seat, handle bars, pedals, new helmet, gloves, oil, shoes, that guy did me a favor to almost 3 grand
and the bike sits there and has been ridden 3 times.

I understand that he has to sell stuff to make money, but as a steady customer, he used the fact that she was there to force the
purchase. real bum move, and it has cost him three times that in the last year.
You bought the bike?
Old 09-17-19, 04:25 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Why support you LBS?

Because you want a pro to assemble your bike. Not the guy that is assembling things at wally world.
Old 09-17-19, 08:19 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Reasons to not support LBS, I want stuff they don't stock. Why Drive 30 (one way) miles to have them order something then drive 30 miles to go pick it up to pay more? UPS and the USPS delivers to my door.

oh for sure they have MTB tires, CST, Serfas, etc... they do orders on Tuesdays. I can pay the shipping. The only way I'll special order through my LBS and pay more for the item is when they start drop shipping my items to me.
Old 09-18-19, 06:11 AM
indyfabz

Yesterday I went to a LBS on the way home from work because I thought the Trucker might need a new chain. Turned out that it still has plenty of life left. Chatted with a few of the folks about my recent tour, bid adieu and rode to the grocery store for dinner fixin's.
Old 09-18-19, 08:22 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
Why support you LBS?

Because you want a pro to assemble your bike. Not the guy that is assembling things at wally world.
I bought two bikes this year from my LBS, a Trek dealer. Neither was assembled correctly. Both had front derailleur issues. One I couldn't fix so I took it back to them. I was told two days, it took four, and still wasn't fixed. It was fixed in 10 minutes when I brought it back for the second time.

The second bike was ordered and shipped to the store for assembly (not a floor model). It was for my wife and I didn't test it in the shop. That derailleur problem was at least fixable by me.
Old 09-18-19, 01:00 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Why is it always about supporting a local bike shop? Why not have a thread titled "Why support ANY local business?" Wills, insurance, medical advice, psychotherapy, vehicles, sporting goods, groceries, etc, etc, etc, can all be had online at a price a local biz cannot match, and service right at my front door. Why the heck do I want to pay more and put up with the inconvenience of having to leave my house to go get an insurance policy on my car? So the salesman can get a bigger house or go on vacation in the DR?

Seriously, the question must be asked. Why support any local business? What's the point when I can get the same products and services cheaper and more convenient online with the bonus of not having to interact with any human if I choose?
Old 09-18-19, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

^^^sad^^^
Old 09-18-19, 01:30 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Most LBS owners are terrible businessmen and very arrogant on top of that.

Yelp and other social media review sites have enforced a higher level of accountability, but e-commerce has made it impossible for most shops to compete on price.

Shops have to be able to compete on repairs, in volume, which leads to a higher percentage of mistakes by mechanics, generating poor reviews and alienating future customers.

Most shops can't afford to hire much less keep experienced, skilled mechanics, so they are forced to rely on teenagers.

From what I've seen, the shop experience is most rewarding for cyclists who want simple repairs or adjustments done at a modest price. The price is too low for the customer to complain, and the work too easy for even an inexperienced mechanic to botch.
Old 09-18-19, 01:42 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Why is it always about supporting a local bike shop? Why not have a thread titled "Why support ANY local business?" Wills, insurance, medical advice, psychotherapy, vehicles, sporting goods, groceries, etc, etc, etc, can all be had online at a price a local biz cannot match, and service right at my front door. Why the heck do I want to pay more and put up with the inconvenience of having to leave my house to go get an insurance policy on my car? So the salesman can get a bigger house or go on vacation in the DR?

Seriously, the question must be asked. Why support any local business? What's the point when I can get the same products and services cheaper and more convenient online with the bonus of not having to interact with any human if I choose?
There's no such thing as a free lunch. If everyone did that, cities would have to raise taxes significantly to make up for lost revenue. Unemployment would go up. And crime would follow.

All so folks can save a few bucks and not have to leave their house.

Selfish, and short-sighted.

There's nothing wrong with ordering things online, but completely boycotting your local economy because you're cheap and lazy is ridiculous.
Old 09-18-19, 02:55 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
Most LBS owners are terrible businessmen and very arrogant on top of that.
Do tell! Are you personally familiar with "most LBS owners", or are you citing some sort of research?

I'm tempted to make an assertion about "most internet posters", but I wouldn't want to be accused of asserting facts not in evidence, over-generalizing, or proclaiming my personal bias as fact.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-19-19, 07:47 AM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
You bought the bike?

there was no way around it, the owner picks out and tells the wife this is the good one, then proceeds to out fit it with
all extras,
do you want to stand there and tell your wife girlfriend that no that is no good, lets pick out the other cheaper on that the
LBS owner doesn't suggest,
good luck with that. the 3 grand was better for the outcome of it
Old 09-19-19, 01:41 PM
Ross520

there was no way around it, the owner picks out and tells the wife this is the good one, then proceeds to out fit it with
all extras,
do you want to stand there and tell your wife girlfriend that no that is no good, lets pick out the other cheaper on that the
LBS owner doesn't suggest,
good luck with that. the 3 grand was better for the outcome of it
Yes. I would have explained to her that for her purposes, that model is completely unnecessary. I then would have driven to another shop. Never let people peer-pressure you into buying something you don't want or need. If your partner thinks you're being "cheap" (not saying yours would have), then you are with the wrong woman.
Old 09-19-19, 01:44 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
...there was no way around it, the owner picks out and tells the wife this is the good one, ...
With all due respect, if the owner of the LBS has more influence with your wife than you, and she doesn't know enough about cycling and/or money to independently evaluate a $3K purchase, you have bigger issues to deal with than this forum can address.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-19-19, 02:01 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
No matter where you make your purchase, you're helping the LBS. Might not be your LBS, but it sure is someones.
Old 09-19-19, 04:04 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
With all due respect, if the owner of the LBS has more influence with your wife than you, and she doesn't know enough about cycling and/or money to independently evaluate a $3K purchase, you have bigger issues to deal with than this forum can address.

BB
I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum can easily address this issue because we all proclaim to be a bicycle experts and a relationship experts.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-19-19, 05:11 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Yep. And I guarantee each of them would have charged considerably more than $20 to remove the OP’s stuck bottom bracket. I’m guessing most mobile bike mechanics charge more than $20 to just show up.

A $20 bill to remove a stuck bottom bracket seems pretty reasonable to me. I’ve come to realize that my LBS aren’t going to have everything I need in stock. If they do, I’ll make the short drive to get it. If not I’ll order it myself.

-Matt
While I have most tools at home I don’t everything. It isn’t cost effective. I don’t mind paying my LBS $20 or $30 to do a job I might only do once. They charged me $30 to thread a fork a couple of inches and trim it to length. I thought that was a deal.