Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Favorite GPS while touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Favorite GPS while touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 09:13 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Begs the question of for touring, do you need an on-the-bar navigation device ?. If not and the next turn is in 10 miles then the occasional glance at the screen might suffice. But I agree that to use in the rain you need an expensive waterproof case and the phone is still hard to read in sunlight. My iPhone 8 is impossible to read in sunlight and I’d not want that on my h-bar.
Do you need an on-the-bar navigation device? For me, I really like it because I get easily distracted and miss turns.

I've only done one very short tour, so my experience is minimal. But just today, my wife and I were heading home from a remote hiking location in Palatka, FL. She couldn't get our location from her phone while we were driving home on some of those remote back roads. I'd feel a lot more vulnerable on a bike in that situation.
Old 12-09-19, 03:59 AM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The photo above of more than 3 gps computers in a cockpit blew my mind. Is this a regular set up?
I use a 10 year old, Edge 500 because it doesn't have a color screen that eats up battery. Just data works for me. If I upload map routes it does all right giving me cues when I'm off route. I'd give this function a 80%. Could be better. Garmin has been reliable and their customer service has been generous with chest straps over the years. If you buy a new one get one that doesn't require a chest strap.
The site cyclingabout.com teaches me a lot. The author recommended the app Map Out for $5. Its decent for on the fly routing in the field. (It doesn't have many of the roads I ride in Taiwan but that's understandable. Their customer service responds quickly.) Lately I've been using it to set way points of dumping to notify the EPA. Hopefully they will clean up the road I'm focusing on.
I also use an iPhone se which I like for many reasons. iPhone apps impress me more than a cycling gps. And paper maps also work well because of language issues. That said I do not recommend the Travel Card charger at all. It hasn't charged my iPhone once. There's a problem with the lightning port connection. They claim they use Apple hardware for that. I don't buy it because there's play in the connection.
Old 12-09-19, 07:33 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I would not rely on a cell phone with a GPS app for touring. Here's why:
1. Rain: Unless your phone is waterproof, it's no good. We get plenty of unexpected rain here in Florida, especially in the summer.
2. Sun: In the brutal summer months here in southern Florida, the sun cooks my cell phone to the point it automatically turns off. If you're touring in brutal sun and heat, don't expect the phone to stay on all day. My Garmin does not overheat in our Florida summer middays.
3. GPS tracking availability: A cell phone has GPS capability that is not as strong (reliable) as dedicated GPS units. I'm not sure how many satellites my Garmin 820 picks up, but my backpacking Garmin picks up far more satellites than my cell phone. I've been hiking when my cell phone has no idea where we are, but my backpacking Garmin has me pinpointed within about five or six feet.

Those are my two cents.
I put a clear plastic shower cap over my tablet when it rains. It keeps the tablet dry and I can still read it. I don't bike in Florida (anymore) but I've not had a problem with over heating even on the hottest days of summer. I have had that problem with the phone, but not the 7 inch tablet. The map apps that I've used have always been adequate, though I mostly rely on them for speed, altitude, distance, time etc.

Last edited by hfbill; 12-15-19 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-09-19, 08:03 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by meyers66
The photo above of more than 3 gps computers in a cockpit blew my mind. Is this a regular set up?
​​​​​It's one GPS and two regular cycle computers.
Old 12-09-19, 09:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by meyers66
I posted that photo. One GPS on the right, in the middle is a wireless computer that is based on wheel revolutions and not GPS. On the left it is a heart rate monitor watch.

The only redundancy is the bike computer mostly gives me stuff that I can get on the GPS but the computer does cadence. The GPS does not do cadence or heart rate, but the more expensive higher end Garmins can do those functions.

The computer has been on that bike since I built it up in 2013, the GPS is much newer. When I bought the GPS, Garmin website said that that specific model of GPS did heart rate, which was one of the reasons that I bought that model. Their website was in error, the testy e-mails that I sent to Garmin on that went unanswered.

When touring, I always use the GPS, but for riding around home often do not have the GPS on the bike, then I rely more on the computer that is always on the bike. So, in that regard that is NOT a regular setup.
Old 12-12-19, 01:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
I also see an inclinometer on Tourist in MSN' handlebars. I think I would enjoy having one of those.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-12-19, 02:12 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Do you need an on-the-bar navigation device? For me, I really like it because I get easily distracted and miss turns.
Depends on where you are touring. I'm planning a ride between Tucson and El Paso over Christmas. A few of the days, I expect there will be only one turn for the entire day. Bummer if I miss it, but not something that takes much concentration...
Old 12-12-19, 04:02 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Depends on where you are touring. I'm planning a ride between Tucson and El Paso over Christmas. A few of the days, I expect there will be only one turn for the entire day. Bummer if I miss it, but not something that takes much concentration...
This is very true. I guess my point is to have a dedicated GPS navigation device on the bike when in remote and unfamiliar locations. I was planning a ride that was going to have no water source for 50-60 miles on one of the days. I certainly would not want to miss a turn on that ride.
Old 12-12-19, 05:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by noglider
I also see an inclinometer on Tourist in MSN' handlebars. I think I would enjoy having one of those.
Yup. The sign on the side of the road said 13 percent grade. My inclinometer verified that. I made a bracket for it, I think it is 1/8 inch by 3/4 inch Aluminum bar and 1 inch dowel or maybe it was wooden broom handle. Attached to the stem cap bolt, the stem cap in this case was a 1.25 inch diameter fender washer. Heart rate monitor on the left of it is on the same bracket. It was designed for handle bar mounting, but my handlebars were too busy for it, needed a separate bracket.

I got mine from Amazon, they no longer list it on their web site. Maybe they are no longer made? Search for sky mounti inclinometer if you want to find one.

It is only accurate if you are at a constant speed, so if you are slowing down as you ride up a hill the numbers will be wrong, you have to be careful that your speed is constant. And, zero is also a constant speed, such as in the photo where I was stopped to take the photo.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 12-14-19, 02:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
Tourist in MSN, can you take pictures from other angles so we can see how it is all put together? A lot of thought went into that setup. Thanks.

Tom

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-14-19, 08:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by noglider
Tourist in MSN, can you take pictures from other angles so we can see how it is all put together? A lot of thought went into that setup. Thanks.

Tom
The inclinometer or the bracket I described?

Inclinometer looks like the one at this site, normally mounts to a handlebar.
https://www.amazon.com/Sky-Mounti-In.../dp/B000PHO6K8
Old 12-14-19, 08:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

I just did an Ebay search for Sky Mounti, got several hits in France, shipping was an amazingly cheap less than four Euros.
Old 12-15-19, 05:06 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
The inclinometer is interesting. I have thought of getting one, but then I would be unable to delude myself with believing the most likely overly exaggerated signage. Have you found it agrees with the signage on most grades or are they exaggerated? Or less likely conservative?
Old 12-15-19, 08:04 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by staehpj1
The inclinometer is interesting. I have thought of getting one, but then I would be unable to delude myself with believing the most likely overly exaggerated signage. Have you found it agrees with the signage on most grades or are they exaggerated? Or less likely conservative?
As I mentioned above, your speed has to be constant for them to be accurate. The few times I stopped to take a photo of the inclinometer, when stopped it was the same as the sign.

With temp and pressure changes, the size of the bubble changes slightly. I leave mine loose enough that I can re-calibrate it with some force to twist it on the round thing I have it attached to without tools. It is easy to know when you are on flat ground, when you are off the bike and hold it, the bike does not want to roll one way or the other on flat ground. I calibrate it on flat ground to zero.

I never look at it for downhill, the bubble often is a different length than the length that the inclinometer is sized for, thus I calibrate it to the uphill scale and not the downhill scale.

I mostly use it on roads with my expedition bike hauling a heavy load. My heart rate gets too high on grades in the 10 plus range, so I often just stop when it says 9 percent and get off the bike to push instead. My heart rate is much happier that way.

This photo is five years old, it is the steepest hill I recall being on. Inclinometer read about 20 percent. Fortunately it was a short hill up to the hostel I stayed at that night.

Old 12-28-19, 08:55 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
I just use my phone with downloaded maps in case I get out of cell service. It works and I don't have to buy another device.
Old 12-28-19, 08:57 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
As I mentioned above, your speed has to be constant for them to be accurate. The few times I stopped to take a photo of the inclinometer, when stopped it was the same as the sign.

With temp and pressure changes, the size of the bubble changes slightly. I leave mine loose enough that I can re-calibrate it with some force to twist it on the round thing I have it attached to without tools. It is easy to know when you are on flat ground, when you are off the bike and hold it, the bike does not want to roll one way or the other on flat ground. I calibrate it on flat ground to zero.

I never look at it for downhill, the bubble often is a different length than the length that the inclinometer is sized for, thus I calibrate it to the uphill scale and not the downhill scale.

I mostly use it on roads with my expedition bike hauling a heavy load. My heart rate gets too high on grades in the 10 plus range, so I often just stop when it says 9 percent and get off the bike to push instead. My heart rate is much happier that way.

This photo is five years old, it is the steepest hill I recall being on. Inclinometer read about 20 percent. Fortunately it was a short hill up to the hostel I stayed at that night.

It's hard to even keep the front wheel on the ground at that incline. I've done a 22 degree incline and it was insane. I had to walk.
Old 12-29-19, 01:07 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Similar inquiry on the Adventure Cycling list honed in on the Garmin Etrex 22x/33x.

https://forums.adventurecycling.org/...?topic=15026.0

Same answer from Andre:

https://bikeundbier.com/2016/11/garm...r-bikepacking/

Originally Posted by robow
Mrs. Santa asked me if I would like a bike-mounted GPS that would be useful for touring...
So wha'd ya get?
Old 12-30-19, 08:22 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I am an iphone guy. I bought an extra portable Anker battery cell. I use these with either Ridewithgps (for roads) or Gaia (for back country). I download the maps before I travel. This works well for me, though the phone screen can be difficult to see at times. If you download the route from ridewithgps first, the little lady in the phone will talk you through it

I have use this setup in the backcountry a lot and have great success especially paddling in the St. Regis canoe area and the off-grid back country in Colorado. Gaia is a great app!

You can turn off many features on the phone and it will give you great battery life, I seldom rely on battery backup for trips lasting 2-3 days.
Old 12-30-19, 09:07 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
[QUOTE=tcs;21261949]Similar inquiry on the Adventure Cycling list honed in on the Garmin Etrex 22x/33x.

https://forums.adventurecycling.org/...?topic=15026.0

Same answer from Andre:

https://bikeundbier.com/2016/11/garm...r-bikepacking/

So wha'd ya get?[/QUOTE

Thats a near 2 yr old thread. The current E-Trex models are the 25 and 35 at $249 & $299 respectively.

Andres post has good info but is dated as to the devices he’s reviewing. The current E-Trex 25 & 35 models are now touchscreens as example

Both good choices if you want basic data and want a position, plus AA is a good choice on tour

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-30-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-30-19, 01:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Steve B.
The current E-Trex models are the 25 and 35 at $249 & $299 respectively.
The Garmin Etrex 22x & 32x (updates to the 20 & 30 models) just debuted in July 2019 and are still listed as current models by Garmin. I got a 22x for Christmas @ ~$150.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/66...n/010-02256-00
Old 12-30-19, 02:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by tcs
The Garmin Etrex 22x & 32x (updates to the 20 & 30 models) just debuted in July 2019 and are still listed as current models by Garmin. I got a 22x for Christmas @ ~$150.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/66...n/010-02256-00
Yes, you are correct. On a phone the site shows the non-touch screen as a separate listing further down the list. Thanks for clarifying this.
Old 12-31-19, 12:21 PM
tcs
Palmer

And just to clarify, the 22x & 32x have the same operational controls as the 20 & 30, and the information in those 'two-year-old threads' is not dated to any meaningful degree.
Old 01-01-20, 02:20 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by tcs
And just to clarify, the 22x & 32x have the same operational controls as the 20 & 30, and the information in those 'two-year-old threads' is not dated to any meaningful degree.
Not seeing it in the Garmin manual (no surprise), but I’m assuming the 22/25 & 32/35 series don’t record a “route” as it’s called on the Edge series - I.E. a days ride as example, and allow an upload via BT to Garmin Connect ?. That’s a useful feature with the cycling specific devices.
Old 01-01-20, 03:12 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Yes, the eTrex allows you to save the current track and will sync with Garmin Connect via cable. You can also upload it to Garmin Basecamp. I export as .GPX and can import to RWGPS, Strava.

I like to look at the data recorded first in Basecamp and often delete out the entries at the beginning when the unit was on but my ride hadn't yet commenced.
Old 01-01-20, 03:41 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
Yes, the eTrex allows you to save the current track and will sync with Garmin Connect via cable. You can also upload it to Garmin Basecamp. I export as .GPX and can import to RWGPS, Strava.

I like to look at the data recorded first in Basecamp and often delete out the entries at the beginning when the unit was on but my ride hadn't yet commenced.
OK, cable and Basecamp I saw, which assumes you are going to have a computer with Basecamp. Apparently no BlueTooth to the Garmin Connect app on a smartphone, which is how some Edge units can get a completed ride to Connect. That’s too bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.