Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Deciding Factor...Please Help!!!

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 08-30-10, 02:53 PM
semax10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I test rode the Trek fx 7.1 and the Specialize Sirrus. I like both of the bikes and I honestly didn't feel much of a difference. So since it basically a toss up I started at components and accessories. I found that trek has quite a few accessories available via their website but not so much on Specialize. Does specialized not have as many accessories?
Old 08-30-10, 02:55 PM
semax10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I put this in the wrong forum!!!
Old 08-30-10, 03:09 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Uh huh. Well, before someone moves it....

"Accessories" are universal. If you didn't notice the two bikes being different, then basically they aren't different. Pick based on color, on looks, by going eenie-meenie-minie-moe. But basically, just pick one, ride it, and don't look back.
Old 08-30-10, 06:11 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek rebrands a lot of accessories with their logo. Some of thse items are better than others. I had one of their under the seat wedge tool bags that I was quite happy with until I realized the cordura nylon was wearing holes in the thighs of my bike shorts. On the other hand, a Trek branded taillight fell apart when I was trying to install it with my bare hands... and I'm no amazon. Since then I've decided to stick with third party accessories from companies like Planet Bike or Cateye and avoid most rebranded items from Specialized and Trek.

One item I do like from Specialized are their Armadillo tires.. but I don't think there's anything to prevent you from putting them on a Trek, Bianchi, Raleigh, Jamis, or whatever else you might have.
Old 08-31-10, 11:24 AM
semax10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks
Old 08-31-10, 11:41 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the bikes are truly equal, and they are from a different bike shop, might as well pick the one from the shop that you like better. A good bike shop is worth it's weight in gold, in many ways...

Jay
Old 08-31-10, 04:08 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two points regarding accesories.

1) My observations are opposite of yours. The reason being that most of Trek's accesories are branded as Bontrager. Specialized actually started out as a components manufacturer and only later began producing full bicycles.

2) It doesn't matter what brand assesories you buy. After buying my first new bicycle I made an attempt to accesorize it only with the same brand of assesories but soon gave up, you loose so many better options.