Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Out and Back Wind Effect...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Out and Back Wind Effect...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 01:47 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
when the wind is at a rider's back the force of the wind is acting on a smaller drag coef....a convex surface versus a direct headwind where windspeed + bike speed is acting on a concave surface resulting in a higher drag coef. Putting it in more layman's term. The body from behind is less of a sail then a wind into the body. The body natively catches more air when wind is into it.
True, but only if the tailwind is faster than the velocity at which you're moving. If you're riding faster than the wind then the net wind velocity is against you and the drag coefficient is the same, tailwind or headwind.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
So if one starts out in a headwind, and turns around when he reaches the halfway point in time, he'll ride home faster and get home sooner than he expects.
If he turns around at the halfway point in time, then he will reach home exactly when expected. If he turns around at the halfway point in distance, then he will reach home earlier (if he thought the out was going to take the same amount of time than the back.)
Old 03-29-16, 02:05 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
No it isn't for the reason I explained with due respect to FB. The reason is..when the wind is at a rider's back the force of the wind is acting on a smaller drag coef....a convex surface versus a direct headwind where windspeed + bike speed is acting on a concave surface resulting in a higher drag coef. Putting it in more layman's term. The body from behind is less of a sail then a wind into the body. The body natively catches more air when wind is into it.
If the wind at your back is higher than your ground speed, I think you might be onto something. But at +/- of that much wind the differences on drag will be much higher than due to different drag coefficients. Because of the old V squared drag thing.

The wind in front always produces more drag than the same wind reduces in back. Because drag proportional to apparent wind speed squared.
Old 03-29-16, 02:06 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
It seems on windy days (+/- 18) my average about 1 mph less over the same E-W 26 mile course, wind E or W of course. I can't explain it, it just seems to be that way often
Old 03-29-16, 02:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM

If he turns around at the halfway point in time, then he will reach home exactly when expected. If he turns around at the halfway point in distance, then he will reach home earlier (if he thought the out was going to take the same amount of time than the back.)
That's only if he did his homework and knows what his round trip time/distance is to ride for two hours in that wind. I Believe what FB was saying was that the rider who has two hours to ride, starts off upwind and turns around at one hour will arrive home sooner than his allotted 2 hours

Ben
Old 03-29-16, 02:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
One thing only one or two posters mentioned is that rarely as riders do we present the same aerodynamic drag area and coefficient when riding upwind vs riding downwind. We almost universally sit up, sometimes a lot when headed downwind. I rode about 30 miles upwind Sunday with the flags straight out. I was in the drops, arms bent or forearms horizontal nearly the entire time. Coming home, I did long stretches riding no-hands. (I was riding fix gear so that put something of a limiter in my downwind speed but I did flip the wheel and rode home one tooth higher than going out.)

BEn
Old 03-29-16, 02:20 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Thought I would posit a question to those that have thought about it. This question is part comedy but nonetheless rooted in reality aka aerodynamics...

When wind is say 10-20 mph and a route is out and back...my route is generally 10 miles + North and then 10+ miles South return. When the wind is dead downwind one direction and a pure headwind back, how much does average mph vary for the round trip compared to the same route on a dead calm day?
Assume zero rolling resistance, just aerodynamic drag and cyclist who can maintain 20 MPH air speed.

Riding 20 miles out then 20 back in no wind takes one hour each way, two total, and yields a 20 MPH average.

Riding the same with a 10 MPH wind along the course allows a 10 MPH ground speed into the wind taking two hours, 30 MPH ground speed with the wind which takes 40 minutes, and 40 miles in 2:40 is a 15 MPH average.

Rolling resistance makes the arithmetic more complex and slightly reduces the speed difference changing directions.
Old 03-29-16, 02:20 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I've done long intervals (such as 2x20's) on an out and back course in the wind. It's much easier to keep the target wattage going into the wind than with a tailwind. I think mostly it's psychological.
Easier is a funny word to use. Higher wattage is always harder to expend. But if you have a target wattage to reach and are willing and capable to generate it, you will be able to arrive at that number at a lower bike speed in a headwind. I wouldn't call that easier though.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-29-16, 02:47 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also realize if this "in and out" ride is only 20 miles, it takes some people (me included) about 10+ miles to totally warm up. The first few miles I tend to spin, then gradually increase power. I don't often push harder until mile 10+, so it's difficult to compare power in this scenario. If I warmed up for 10 miles, then did the "in and out" ride it would get a better comparison. I'm too lazy at the moment to look at the power numbers for this type of ride, which I do often.

Regarding the windy vs. calm days, I agree that the aggregate speed during calm days is often higher, especially when riding solo. Oddly enough, it seems when doing group rides the aggregate speed during windy rides if often faster, since some of the stronger riders can push through the wind to help the full group, while most can haul ass in the downwind.
Old 03-29-16, 02:54 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Alright, simple math time.

Lets assume a perfectly flat out and back ride, 10km each way. Our rider has a CdA of 0.32 m^2, density of air that day is 1 kg/m^3 and our rider has some really nice tires which have zero rolling resistance.

The only force the rider is facing is drag Fd = 0.5 * 1 * 0.32 * v^2 = 0.16 kg/m * v^2

Now lets say our rider goes out on a windless day and keeps a constant 200W throughout.

P = W/t = F*d/t = F * v = 0.16 * v^3 = 200W

Our rider would keep a constant velocity of 10.77 m/s or 24mph on a windless day.

Now he goes out on a day where the wind is blowing at 22.4mph (10 m/s)

For the headwind leg:
P = F * v = 0.16 * (v + 10)^2 * v = 200W
v = 5.32 m/s for 31.3 minutes

Tailwind leg:
P = F * v = 0.16 * (v - 10)^2 * v = 200W
v = 18.27 m/s for 9 minutes

Average velocity:
vavg = d/t = 20km/40.3min = 8.27 m/s or 18.5mph on a day with 22mph winds keeping constant 200 watts.

Now, if he hammers at 250W the first leg and keeps it at 180W the second leg, following the same calculation he would get an average speed of 20.2mph.

If he goes crazy and keeps 300W upwind and then 200W downwind, he gets 21.9mph.

Did that quickly so feel free to check my numbers.
Old 03-29-16, 03:06 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no matter how hard i turn on the box fan at home, it doesnt seem to affect my zwift times.
Old 03-29-16, 05:56 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tiiger
I somehow have a headwind on the ride to work AND on the way home.

it's a conspiracy.
Always.

And the smoke from a campfire follows me wherever I sit...
Old 03-29-16, 06:33 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That's usually true, and not an illusion for most people in most places. A decent rider maintains speeds between 15 and 20mph or higher. 15mph is pretty decent wind on most days, so you're usually riding faster than the wind, meaning even with a tail wind, you're riding into a head wind.

Add to that the reality that you'll ride faster with a tailwind. As a very rough guestimate, you'll probably ride at least fast enough to produce a net headwind of 10mph (if you have the gearing, because that's what it takes for the effort to feel normal.

So headwind or tailwind, you'll alwaus be riding into the wind. The difference is the gear you use, and your ground speed.
Stop using that science stuff, it's making my head hurt.
Old 03-29-16, 08:08 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I've done long intervals (such as 2x20's) on an out and back course in the wind. It's much easier to keep the target wattage going into the wind than with a tailwind. I think mostly it's psychological.
I agree that there is a psychological component, but I think there is more to it than that. For me, a headwind is similar to climbing vs. riding the flats or with tailwind. I am better at holding power on long intervals when I'm riding with the wind to my back (assuming I'm not spinning out). I think it varies by person. Many people put out their best power when climbing, but I put out less power compared to flat roads. There is something less efficient for me (even at the same cadence) when climbing or riding into the wind.
Old 03-30-16, 10:51 AM
hooCycles

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My single speed is geared for riding with no wind on flat ground, and so when the wind changes it takes me out of my most efficient powerband (rotational speed). I think that is what affects me the most mentally.

Of course the dynamic pressure from the wind is what is causing the slower rotational speed in the first place.
Old 03-30-16, 10:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
On this morning's ride I had a chance to check this out. 2x20' into and then with a 5mph wind. This is in the delta, so the roads are flat as a pancake other than climbing up and down a levee. https://www.strava.com/activities/530832682/analysis

First interval: 261w AP, 20.3mph.
Second: 262w AP, 22.7mph.

So, pretty significant speed difference for the same effort with not much wind.