Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bad HED Rim

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 12:06 PM
illusiumd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad HED Rim

So I've had a number of problems with wheels since I got serious about cycling two years ago. Through a ton of research and advice here and at various LBS's I decided to splurge and have a master wheel builder build me a HED C2/Ultegra set with double butted spokes.

Well for the love of god there's a some defect with the front rim that produces a consistent clicking sound when weight is applied. I have scant info from the wheel builder (he's built thousands of wheelsets) but he's saying he can't fix it. I'll pick up the wheel tomorrow and find out more - but in the meantime this sucks.

It seems that - if indeed it's a defective rim - I'm pretty screwed since I bought the rims off ModernBike.com cause they had a good deal and not from the wheel-builder. So best case scenario is somehow HED/ModernBike will warranty just the rim - which means I got to take it apart and send in just the rim - then have the builder build it up again.

Anyone had this problem with a small piece of metal coming dislodged within the rim?
Old 09-15-16, 12:27 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
why would the sound only come when weight is applied if it is a loose piece?
Old 09-15-16, 01:03 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Goody, another noise / twenty questions game.
OK, how do you know the noise is coming from the rim? (That's two.)
Old 09-15-16, 01:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Other rims have been known for a seam's plug loosening and causing a click/clack with each revolution that doesn't usually show it's self unless weight is applied.

Does this rim use nipple washers or separate nipple seats? If so then one might be installed wrong of there's an extra one floating about? Last is how do you know that the rims are actually Hed product? There's a lot of Asian knock offs out there. Andy.
Old 09-15-16, 02:14 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Sent you a PM.
Old 09-26-16, 09:34 AM
illusiumd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the random post here - thanks all - the builder was able to somehow fix it - but he says he doesn't know how he did it - it just went away so it had to be a loose piece of something somewhere.
Old 09-27-16, 09:04 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by illusiumd
Sorry for the random post here - thanks all - the builder was able to somehow fix it - but he says he doesn't know how he did it - it just went away so it had to be a loose piece of something somewhere.
If it were a loose piece of something somewhere the builder would be able to show you the piece he extricated that was causing the problem. I wonder whether he could have had a lacing issue that he corrected. Regardless, if he did something to correct the sound without out finding a bit of something rattling around inside the rim then it sounds like it was a build issue.

Last edited by revcp; 09-27-16 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-27-16, 01:43 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please forgive my forwardness here, but you might also consider using a less conclusive thread title in the future. I'm in no way connected with HED, but I've built quite a few wheelsets with them and have never had a single issue. Your title states (more than implying) that you actually had a "bad" rim, which turned out not to be true. You quite easily could have titled it in a way that asked a question rather than making a bold claim. It was a question you were trying to ask afterall, right?

-Jeremy