Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does this spoke look weird?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 12:22 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts

I noticed an unusual bend in one of my spokes - see below. Some but not all of the spokes on that side of the wheel have a similar deflected profile, though not as pronounced. The other side, with the disc brake, looks more normal.
Is this indicative of a problem?

Old 08-21-18, 01:24 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Pluck them and compare tone.
All the spokes on the same side should sound the same.
Disc side will be higher pitched.

A pic from the side may be useful because of depth perception issues with just one pic.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 08-21-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 01:26 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the steps in the wheel building process is to push down on the elbow-out spokes so that they incorporate an appropriate bend around the flange before heading out to the rim. The person (or more likely, machine) that built your wheel skipped this part. The result is a generally less durable wheel as the tension in the spoke is not held as constant during use. You can do the job yourself by pushing aggressively on the spokes just above the flange until they take a tight curve past the flange and a direct line out toward the rim, but this is best done by someone familiar with wheel building or at the very least wheel truing. The process will reduce spoke tension on those elbow-out spokes and the wheel will need to be re-tensioned and trued after being properly aligned.

*edited to add* - This process of aligning the spokes is best done earlier in the wheel building process, so that there is less tension in the spokes and they are more easy to align properly. This job will be harder now that the spokes are under high tension.

-Jeremy
Old 08-21-18, 02:17 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If nothing has gotten between the spokes and fork I would guess that the spokes are not tensioned high enough.
Old 08-21-18, 09:37 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Kind of hard to tell from that photo, but that wheel doesn't look like it's built correctly. More photos from different angles would be helpful.
Old 08-22-18, 07:19 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
It appears to be laced correctly (more photos would help verify) but a I agree that the wasn't built properly. The spokes need to be better seated at the flange. The process will certainly require retensioning and truing, and it is probably better to do it now instead of waiting for spokes to break and needing a more expensive rebuild.

I would also also guess that either the tension is very low, or it will be after riding it. Nothing is worse for a spoke than riding at a tension so low that the spoke will go slack. I would get it looked at by a competent wheel builder ASAP. I will cost far less to do it now than after the wheel has failed.
Old 08-22-18, 03:34 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
It appears to be laced correctly (more photos would help verify) but a I agree that the wasn't built properly. The spokes need to be better seated at the flange. The process will certainly require retensioning and truing, and it is probably better to do it now instead of waiting for spokes to break and needing a more expensive rebuild.

I would also also guess that either the tension is very low, or it will be after riding it. Nothing is worse for a spoke than riding at a tension so low that the spoke will go slack.
I would get it looked at by a competent wheel builder ASAP. I will cost far less to do it now than after the wheel has failed.
And don't assume that the random mechanic behind the counter at your local bike shop is a competent wheel builder. Wheel building is a knowledge/experience set that only the nerdiest of mechanics will take seriously. Lots of bike mechanics have built wheels...but not all of them have built them well.

-Jeremy
Old 08-22-18, 04:21 PM
streetstomper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81
One of the steps in the wheel building process is to push down on the elbow-out spokes so that they incorporate an appropriate bend around the flange before heading out to the rim.
The technique I read, probably in a Bicycling article on wheelbuilding, was to use a Philips screwdriver. Put the shank just outside the radius of the hub flanges before the first cross, over an outer spoke and under an inner spoke. Gently lever it until the outer spoke lies flat. Repeat around the wheel.

Another part of the procedure in the same article was to use pliers to bend the spoke just above the nipple so the nipple comes out of the rim as straight as possible rather than some extreme angle and poorly supported by the holes, but I haven't seen that recommendation repeated many other places. Does anyone around here actually do this?

Last edited by streetstomper; 08-22-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 06:56 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I've never done it, but I might try that first part.