Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMC TeamMachine SLR01 Disc fork recall

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

BMC TeamMachine SLR01 Disc fork recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 07:42 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
I would ask for a complete refund. Actually I would demand a complete refund.
As I have mentioned, I've had zero real issues with my SLR02 w/ rim brakes and I love the bike. But I agree with Noctilux, at this point, any reputable company I would want to do ANY future business with would gladly do anything to make me happy--including a full refund and mucho apologies. Maybe a personal phone call from one of the senior sales managers. Something to show they seem to give a sh**. Which, apparently, they do not. I am going to be buying a new bike this Spring. Love my SLR02. Won't be buying another BMC based on how they have treated you . So sorry.
Old 12-31-19, 07:47 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I've heard way too many issues with BMCs to ever own one. Gorgeous bikes, and I'm sure they ride well, but a local shop even stopped carrying them over issues like this.
Old 12-31-19, 07:51 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
The "new" thing about the BMC SLR01 fork steerer is that it isn't round in section. The steerer is narrow and oblong in section in order to allow the brake lines and Di2 cables to be fed past it, through the head tube, and into the frame -- gee whiz, super-kewl, totally concealed stuff. The original steerer tubes had sharp corners where the sides were cut off the circle. I suspect (but don't know) that they should have radiused those sharp corners so they wouldn't serve as a stress point.

According to BMC, most 2019 and all 2020 SLR01 Disc front forks are fine. Of course, if that's true, they have the wherewithal and the design to manufacture replacements. So . . . why is it taking so long?

But another fun fact . . . the other super-kewl feature of this design is that it has a tendency to occasionally grab hold of an internally routed Di2 wire and pull it out of the junction -- leaving the bike without the ability to shift, at all.

This is my 4th BMC SLR01. And it is assuredly, my last.
They should give you a 2019 or 2020 frame and fork then... I don't know how long you have been waiting but if over 30 days that would be my opinion.

As for the super-kewl feature of pulling di2 wires.. you get no love from me because that can literally happen to any bike if you dont leave a little slack and has nothing to do with the shape of the steerer tube.
Old 12-31-19, 11:15 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
They should give you a 2019 or 2020 frame and fork then... I don't know how long you have been waiting but if over 30 days that would be my opinion.

As for the super-kewl feature of pulling di2 wires.. you get no love from me because that can literally happen to any bike if you dont leave a little slack and has nothing to do with the shape of the steerer tube.
According to the LBS that built up the bike and tried to fix the wire pull problem twice, there is slack in the wiring. They even replaced the wire with a longer wire to get more slack -- didn't work. I don't know if the steerer pinches the wiring against the inside of the head tube or the wiring loops around the steerer or what. But there's a problem that shouldn't exist.

But no, asking for an entire new bike in this situation is ridiculous. It's not as if this is a life support device. It's a bicycle that I've lost the use of during winter. If it goes on for a couple more months then, yes, something more needs to be done. But we're not there yet.
Old 01-01-20, 12:05 AM
bpcyclist

According to the LBS that built up the bike and tried to fix the wire pull problem twice, there is slack in the wiring. They even replaced the wire with a longer wire to get more slack -- didn't work. I don't know if the steerer pinches the wiring against the inside of the head tube or the wiring loops around the steerer or what. But there's a problem that shouldn't exist.

But no, asking for an entire new bike in this situation is ridiculous. It's not as if this is a life support device. It's a bicycle that I've lost the use of during winter. If it goes on for a couple more months then, yes, something more needs to be done. But we're not there yet.
You are much more patient than I.
Old 01-01-20, 10:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Forgetting for the moment that there's a recall, what would have been the solution if you had simply somehow broken your fork? Presuming whatever that solution would have been, that's what I'd expect or ask for.
Old 01-01-20, 02:24 PM
spdntrxi

I have the current TimeMachine Road.. the fork is the same shape with the channel to run the di2 and hydro cables.. I built it myself and have not had an issue with di2 wires pulling out of the junction. I think your LBS is doing something wrong... which junction is it pulling from ? the block that sits near the BB?
Old 01-01-20, 04:22 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I have the current TimeMachine Road.. the fork is the same shape with the channel to run the di2 and hydro cables.. I built it myself and have not had an issue with di2 wires pulling out of the junction. I think your LBS is doing something wrong... which junction is it pulling from ? the block that sits near the BB?
You may know this, but the TimeMachine Road is a completely different bicycle. Both the frame and the fork are completely different than the TeamMachine. Everything -- even the decals are different. The TeamMachine SLR01 Disc has a junction in the downtube just behind and below the head tube. It appears that the wire is being pulled away from this junction.

It appears the TimeMachine has a lot more room for integration around the head tube area. It's a newer design. They had time to learn from the TeamMachine SLR01 issues before they introduced your bike..
Old 01-01-20, 05:15 PM
spdntrxi

I'm familiar with that design.. I helped build my buddies as well.. I have built Teamnachines with the junction behind the headtube. The TM01R junction is also on the DT but I little lower than yours.

you may be right about the headtube as I have not measured sizing since I did not have any issues with any of the bikes... My head tube on my Time Machine is tiny.. narrow and short (on a 47cm) The other bikes I worked on where 54,56 and 58.. seemed to be tons of room.

I hope they take care of you soon... over winter I would probably not sweat it much either too, but come March the story would change.
Old 01-01-20, 10:36 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
I have a TeamMachine SLR02 that I bought last May. Am I in the clear?
Old 01-02-20, 09:02 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by antmaster5000
Yes. The SLR02 is a completely different setup.
Old 01-02-20, 04:44 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

UPDATE: Since the fork is not going to arrive this week, my LBS is now predicting . . . (wait for it) . . . maybe next week!

Is anyone spotting the pattern yet?
Old 01-03-20, 05:26 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Epic fail. I wonder which brand is least likely to treat their customers like this?

I'd have thought maybe Giant would be best equipped to handle this sort of thing well, given their size, but are they inclined to? You'd think a much smaller outfit like BMC, although less equipped, would be more inclined to worry about their PR, but I guess they're happy to lean on their marketing instead...
Old 01-11-20, 10:05 AM
DJJK1967

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the Op, I bought two of these bikes in September 2019 especially for an 6 month cycling trip in Spain
I arrive in Spain beginning of November and start using one of the bikes and then one night I notice an recall notice on a "Cyclist Magazine" email
Brought both bikes down to a local BMC dealer on the 15/11/19 who agreed to inspect both bikes and replace forks if needed
As luck would have it only one bike is affected by the recall and it is the bike I was using first (currently has 500 km on it)
Asked the shop how long it will take and the reply "as long as it takes, could be a week, a month or longer"
Called back into the shop 3 weeks later and enquired about the recall and was told "no date has been given for the replacement fork"
I then contacted BMC directly and asked the what the time frame was for the replacement fork and eventually was told the earliest will be March 2020
Have to say I fully understand that these things happen and will take a bit of time to get rectified but am a little bit annoyed by BMCs handling of the recall for 2 reasons
1. BMC never contacted me directly, they have all my contact and bike details through their warranty registration but instead let the cycling press report the recall
What if I hadn't seen the email and was cycling around oblivious to the recall ??
2. I was expecting this to take a month or two to get fixed but to be told that that it's going to take at least 4 plus months at the minimum and that you can't use the bike until its fixed is becoming more annoying each day

Luckily as I said before only one of the bikes is affected by the recall otherwise the whole trip would have been a total nightmare rather than been just annoying
Old 01-11-20, 10:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

If you wanted to buy a new fork from them, would it deliver any sooner? just curious
Old 01-11-20, 12:00 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by DJJK1967
I'm in the same boat as the Op, I bought two of these bikes in September 2019 especially for an 6 month cycling trip in Spain
I arrive in Spain beginning of November and start using one of the bikes and then one night I notice an recall notice on a "Cyclist Magazine" email
Brought both bikes down to a local BMC dealer on the 15/11/19 who agreed to inspect both bikes and replace forks if needed
As luck would have it only one bike is affected by the recall and it is the bike I was using first (currently has 500 km on it)
Asked the shop how long it will take and the reply "as long as it takes, could be a week, a month or longer"
Called back into the shop 3 weeks later and enquired about the recall and was told "no date has been given for the replacement fork"
I then contacted BMC directly and asked the what the time frame was for the replacement fork and eventually was told the earliest will be March 2020
Have to say I fully understand that these things happen and will take a bit of time to get rectified but am a little bit annoyed by BMCs handling of the recall for 2 reasons
1. BMC never contacted me directly, they have all my contact and bike details through their warranty registration but instead let the cycling press report the recall
What if I hadn't seen the email and was cycling around oblivious to the recall ??
2. I was expecting this to take a month or two to get fixed but to be told that that it's going to take at least 4 plus months at the minimum and that you can't use the bike until its fixed is becoming more annoying each day

Luckily as I said before only one of the bikes is affected by the recall otherwise the whole trip would have been a total nightmare rather than been just annoying
So sorry you are having to deal with this.

Whenever something like this happens at a company, large or small, public or private, you get to find out what kind of management the company has. I did product development for a quite successful, very small public company in the Bay Area for a number of years. We never had a recall, but if we had, we wouldn't have handled it like this. We would have immediately been on the phone to personally inform all customers affected, no matter how long that took. We'd have worked round the clock, if that's what it took. We also would have provided a detailed and transparent written notification of exactly what was going on and when to honestly expect the problem would be resolved. Easy peasy. Business 101: take care of the customer. Probably would have set up a dedicated website and phone line(s).

US business schools have carefully studied this topic. The bottom line is that crises offer an opportunity for companies to actually rise in esteem in the opinions of the customers. Handle a crisis well and you will hang on to them, maybe get some new ones. Handle it badly and you are sure to lose some. Maybe a lot. Maybe the whole company.

The way BMC has handled this is the model for how not to do business. Period. Full stop. I won't be buying another one, despite the fact that I love how mine rides. Always take care of the customer.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-11-20, 12:20 PM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by antmaster5000
I got the same one.
Old 01-12-20, 08:53 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I've been patient to this point. More patient than what some of you feel is warranted. But, between this and the multiple Di2 interference issues (probably the LBS's fault) and a front brake issue (certainly the LBS's fault) and multiple trips for repair and a frame replacement for the seatpost issue (all BMC's fault), this bike has spent more time in the LBS's back room than it has in my possession. It's time to call the LBS and ask for creative options. I empathize and I'm very patient with people who are trying. I'm not getting the sense that BMC is really trying. They're trying to do a recall without disrupting their daily routine.

A recall also leaves you with the problem that you can't unload the bike, even if you wanted to. Who's going to buy a bike they can't ride?

Maybe the bigger problem is, I love the bike when it works. I'm not sure I would be happy with any other. (But that romance is starting to fade.)
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 01-12-20, 09:32 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I decided to take my complaint to BMC. Let's see if they care enough to send a reply. Here's the text of what I sent:

I am a long-time, loyal BMC customer. I have owned four BMC SLR01 bikes and a BMC TimeMachine TT bike. I love your bikes, but you are handling the SLR01 fork recall very poorly. My bike has been waiting for a new fork for nearly two months now. It hangs in my dealer's shop and there is no solution in sight. And because I also had a warranty issue with this frameset, since I've owned it, the bike has spent at least as much time in my dealer's shop as it has in my possession. This is not acceptable. And your response to this issue is very poor.

I work for a manufacturing company. I have empathy and a great deal of patience for a manufacturer who is trying. Recalls can be disruptive. But it does not appear to me that BMC is trying very hard to resolve this recall issue. It appears rather that you do not want to be bothered by it. You do not want it to disrupt your routine. While your customers have lost the use of the products they paid a lot of money to purchase, the appearance is that you do not care. The goodwill that you built over the years with this BMC customer is running out. I hope that you will come up with an acceptable solution to this problem very quickly. Otherwise, I believe the poor handling of this recall will permanently damage the BMC name in the United States.

Please let me know how and when you plan to resolve these issues.
It's easy to ignore a customer's concerns. Let's see if BMC cares enough to respond.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 01-12-20, 09:41 AM
DJJK1967

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the response I got from BMC when I told them that I find waiting 4 plus months for the replacement forks unacceptable,

"Thank you for your message and for bringing your Teammachine SLR01 Disc to the safety check.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the fork recall.
Unfortunately, as is the nature of a recall, we can’t prepare for it, but we are doing everything we can to get all riders back on their bikes as soon as possible.
We know any time off the bike is frustrating. We are working hard to get these new forks out asap. Whiles a few weeks without your bike is no fun, its pretty amazing that we are getting forks produced this quickly in response to the recall. Typical product development cycle for re-engineering a major part like a fork design takes at least 6 months or more. Its been monumental to get them ready to ship in such a short time.
Thanks for your patience while we work through this.
We sincerely apologize for the time you have been off of your Teammachine and would like to thank you for your patience.
Best regards
Your BMC Switzerland Team,"

The question I have now is, What is meant by "re-engineering"??
Old 01-12-20, 09:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Here is the response I got from BMC when I told them that I find waiting 4 plus months for the replacement forks unacceptable,

"Thank you for your message and for bringing your Teammachine SLR01 Disc to the safety check.
Unfortunately, as is the nature of a recall, we can’t prepare for it, but we are doing everything we can to get all riders back on their bikes as soon as possible.
We know any time off the bike is frustrating. We are working hard to get these new forks out asap. Whiles a few weeks without your bike is no fun, its pretty amazing that we are getting forks produced this quickly in response to the recall. Typical product development cycle for re-engineering a major part like a fork design takes at least 6 months or more. Its been monumental to get them ready to ship in such a short time.
We sincerely apologize for the time you have been off of your Teammachine and would like to thank you for your patience.
Best regards

The reengineering was already done, wasn't it? ie. what are they installing on the new bikes sitting on the LBS floor? And they seemed to miss your mention of 4 months, and turned it into "a few weeks"
Old 01-12-20, 10:00 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Best regards

That reply is offensive. It is disingenuous. BMC has eagerly pointed out that almost all 2019 SLR01 Disc forks are fine and all 2020 forks are fine. That tells me that they've had the design for the replacement for at least a year. (How stupid do they think their customers are?) They've probably been building and selling the acceptable fork for at least a year.

The 2019 non-recall fork design also tells us that they knew at least 12 months ago that they had a problem. Why else would they have changed it? It costs money to do a running change on a part like that. They were just whistling in the dark, hoping they didn't have to do a recall. (That shows less than heartfelt concern for the well being of their customers.)

If you want to take it to the next level, a measured, just-the-facts letter of concern sent to the Consumer Products Safety Commission should do the trick.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 01-12-20 at 10:07 AM.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 01-12-20, 10:20 AM
spdntrxi

^... not good.. agree with your point of view. This rep the replied to you is a dumbass.
Old 01-12-20, 04:46 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
That reply is offensive. It is disingenuous. BMC has eagerly pointed out that almost all 2019 SLR01 Disc forks are fine and all 2020 forks are fine. That tells me that they've had the design for the replacement for at least a year. (How stupid do they think their customers are?) They've probably been building and selling the acceptable fork for at least a year.

The 2019 non-recall fork design also tells us that they knew at least 12 months ago that they had a problem. Why else would they have changed it? It costs money to do a running change on a part like that. They were just whistling in the dark, hoping they didn't have to do a recall. (That shows less than heartfelt concern for the well being of their customers.)

If you want to take it to the next level, a measured, just-the-facts letter of concern sent to the Consumer Products Safety Commission should do the trick.
Which also means they've been prioritizing the fixed forks to new bikes and letting their existing customers wait for surplus production to fulfill the recall. If I were in your position I would be trying to think of a way to cause the company maximum pain.

This is just a masterclass in what not to do.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-12-20, 05:26 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Which also means they've been prioritizing the fixed forks to new bikes and letting their existing customers wait for surplus production to fulfill the recall. If I were in your position I would be trying to think of a way to cause the company maximum pain.

This is just a masterclass in what not to do.
^^^^

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.