Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

SPD Pedals for Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

SPD Pedals for Commuting

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 09:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
SPD Pedals for Commuting
Originally Posted by AZ4Mtb
Wrapping up the restore of a classic 90s MTB for a commuter and am looking for pedals. I prefer something with SPD and would ideally like clips on both sides but would also like to be able to pedal without cleats for short rides. I am looking …

Can anyone offer an experienced opinion? Thanks!
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I had used toeclips for years, and thus unaccustomed to "flats".

So, my conversion to clipless was quick and complete. I don't think I've ridden further than a mile at a time without the clipless. So, my choice is standard single, or double-entry SPD without flats.

For those rare occasions that I'm using street shoes, I can just pedal on top of the SPD pedals.
I have previously posted to this thread:
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
”Do you disregard traffic laws during your commute?”

...Almost all Stop signs I come to a complete stop at, because, where I ride, these are places motorists routinely blow through. There is, however, one Stop sign on one of my routes that is in a deserted part of town…

I can easily see fifty yards both directions and I routinely run this Stop sign because it is just a deserted area and there is no need to stop and re-clip. In my view, that is.

I don't like clipping out and in 5000 times on a two-hour ride. It seems unnecessary. But I do it. Am now very proficient at clipping in. It is a ton of starting and stopping in town. But it is required most of the time.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Indeed it is a pain to clip / unclip/ clip / unclip

When I occasionally do a multimodal commute, bike ~ 2 miles to train in the city, train to an outlying suburban station, then cycle ~ 5 miles to work , I wear regular running shoes for the urban segment though the downtown, and bring my cycling shoes for the suburban segment.

Otherwise the full cycle commute of about 14 miles through MUP, residential, and early morning light commercial routes does not require many, sometime no stops.

BTW, I previously posted:
"Clipless pedals or not"'

On further reading, I noted the right vs left unclipping discussion. We have plenty of curbs and I unclip right. In fact, when I'm on the left side of the road, left foot unclipping seems awkward.

I first to thought about it when I started riding with a regular companion, and he always unclipped left.
After a few early falls when learning to ride with clipless pedals, I now unclip the right foot when there is the least anticipation of stopping.
Old 01-03-20, 11:34 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Indeed it is a pain to clip / unclip/ clip / unclip… When I occasionally do a multimodal commute, bike ~ 2 miles to train in the city, train to an outlying suburban station, then cycle ~ 5 miles to work , I wear regular running shoes for the urban segment though the downtown, and bring my cycling shoes for the suburban segment.

Otherwise the full cycle commute of about 14 miles through MUP, residential, and early morning light commercial routes does not require many, sometime no stops.
Living near a smaller city, much of what I consider city center urban is probably what you consider suburban, and what I consider suburban would be what you consider way out in the boonies.

Nonetheless, while clipping and unclipping takes a moment of thought, it is not that big of a hassle.

A quick twist of the ankle and one is out. And, with some practice, I can often hit the cleats while pedalling.

Someone posted that rolling stops are now legal in Oregon. I suppose I've been doing them for a while. Stopping when necessary, rolling when not. And, even when stopping, sometimes dropping to a very slow roll instead (with a heart beat away from unclipping as needed).

I try not to carry two pairs of shoes, except for walking shoes if I'm planning on being off the bike for the full day.

And, I keep a pair of shoes at Mom's house as it is a frequent destination.
Old 01-03-20, 01:00 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Indeed it is a pain to clip / unclip/ clip / unclip

When I occasionally do a multimodal commute, bike ~ 2 miles to train in the city, train to an outlying suburban station, then cycle ~ 5 miles to work , I wear regular running shoes for the urban segment though the downtown, and bring my cycling shoes for the suburban segment.

Otherwise the full cycle commute of about 14 miles through MUP, residential, and early morning light commercial routes does not require many, sometime no stops...
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Living near a smaller city, much of what I consider city center urban is probably what you consider suburban, and what I consider suburban would be what you consider way out in the boonies.

Nonetheless, while clipping and unclipping takes a moment of thought, it is not that big of a hassle

A quick twist of the ankle and one is out. And, with some practice, I can often hit the cleats while pedaling…

I try not to carry two pairs of shoes, except for walking shoes if I'm planning on being off the bike for the full day.

And, I keep a pair of shoes at Mom's house as it is a frequent destination.
Thanks for the reply @CliffordK. As was posted earlier on this thread:
Originally Posted by daoswald
I've tried several styles of pedals:

• SPD-A530 - Large but slippery platform on one side, clips on the other. Just ok.
  • SPD-M324 - Smaller but thicker and still slipery platform on one side, clips on the other. Even worse
The dual purpose pedals just never did it for me. The ones I used were a little too slippery on the platform side, and whether I was using regular shoes or SPD shoes, the pedal would always find the wrong side up. Just too inconvenient, for too little gain.

The single sided SPD pedals (A600) seemed about the best road-style SPD pedals out there. And I used them for years on my road bike. I don't prefer them for commuting. But for road cycling they're pretty easy to get into. ...but SPD-SL are more comfortable on long rides.

The SPD-SL pedals have won me over for road cycling. On long rides they do a better job at avoiding hot spots. They're pretty easy to get into. Sometimes they find the wrong-side up, but I'm pretty used to them now…

But for commuting 4.5 to 22 miles (depending on which way I go), in traffic, with a laptop in panniers, I just prefer the platform pedals. I wouldn't go back to clipless on my hybrid / commuter / utility bike.
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I use these on my "commuter" bike, plus the metal caged one on my MTB. I use the single sided 234s (?) on my touring bike. I always ride in cleated shoes, however.

My thoughts exactly, SPD-SL for any performance-type road bike. I really like them

As to the "butter on the wrong side", one only has to rotate the crank 180 degrees and meet that pedal in the new spot, and the cleat will be up. Easy.
I’m not particularly conversant with all the pedal types discussed, but mine clip only on one side. Clipping in and out are easy with one foot only.

Sometimes though on an incline upwards, from a stop with both feet free and unclipped, it can be a problem to get enough forward momentum to rotate the pedal and clip in, and the cleat is slippery on the wrong side of the pedal. On a couple of occasions I banged my shin on the pedal.

I tried riding with cleat covers for traction on such short distances, but I’ve lost two separate cleat covers doing that, and I prefer the “old soft shoe” routine.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-03-20 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 02:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Sometimes though on an incline upwards, from a stop with both free and unclipped, it can be a problem to get enough forward momentum to rotate the pedal and clip in, and the cleat is slippery on the wrong side of the pedal, and on a couple of occasions banged my shin on the pedal.

I tried riding with cleat covers for traction on such short distances, but I’ve lost two separate cleat covers doing that, and I prefer the “old soft shoe” routine.
Practice makes perfect. But for "Hill Climbs", I prefer double sided cleats, just slam the foot down and go.

My first attempt on those rides took, me to Brynwood where I found myself over-geared and under-prepared for the pull (20% to 30%). And, I took more than a few driveway rests/restarts. And, restarts were tricky, needing to be clipped in for both pulling and pushing.
Old 01-07-20, 05:59 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
I have SPD on one side/platform on the other, but only because I don't always love wearing my cycling shoes on rides with my kids which can turn into playground visits/library visits/convenience store runs/hikes, you name it, not because I commute on the platform side.

I always commute with SPD side, never had a problem getting out. If out and need to get back in real quick I just choose not to worry about it until I am through the intersection or whatever. My shoes have thick lugs so they grip either side of the pedal ok until I can get situated.

I ride in the city but it's LONG stretches on MUP/dedicated bike lane with only 1 serious intersection. I may have different points of view if I was going through more stoplights.

THAT SAID - I just ordered a new bike and, with it, hot pink platform pedals (my daughter talked me in to it) SO we'll see how I like riding those for a while. If I hate it, I'll just throw my SPD pedals back on and call it good.