Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

One Bike , All Year Long

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

One Bike , All Year Long

Old 01-03-20, 03:14 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
I`d like to thank many of you for your replies.

Right now my plan is to leave my Trek hanging in the basement over the winter. I have a older Schwinn Passage in VERY good condition that I`ve cleaned up and have been riding so far this Winter.

I probably won`t ride as many miles as I would have with my Trek, but I`ll still be out there over the Winter getting "The Breeze, Between My Knees".

But, the difference in the Comfort level between the two bikes is drastic. And because of my age and medical problems, even more so.

The cold does not bother me, but the change in riding position and lack of suspension, is hard on my back.

But, I am glad I never got rid of my Passage. It holds a lot of good memories, and over the Winter, I plan on adding a few more.

When I bought The Passage it was one two touring bikes offered by Schwinn that year. The other was The Voyager .

'

So Far The Winter hasn`t been too bad.
We`ve had snow, but after plowing, the roads have been very "rideable!"

I`ve changed out the chain, and rear derailluer, cleaned and oiled it.
AND I`M LOVNG IT!

I think this Schwinn Passage is a great bike. I knew I loved it 35 years ago, AND I still do.
The more I ride it, the more I like it!
Old 01-04-20, 02:19 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I have a few bikes I salvaged from the dump or found at yard sales for $20 or $30; The only other cost might be for cables, bearings tires, brake pads, or other miscellaneous costs when I overhaul them. Some winters we have rains that wash away the salt, other winters might be snowmageddon.
Old 01-04-20, 01:54 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
The Schwinn looks like a nice frame. Some C&Vers might not like the idea of sacrificing it. Two things that might help are good mudguards and wax. The mudguards (fenders) keep a lot of crap from hitting your feet and crank. Wax can protect the metal and painted parts of the frame and components. You could spray everything , except the rim sidewalls and brake pads, with Boeshield, a paraffin based spray-on protective coating, which is also a pretty good chainlube. .Some winter cyclists use automoive wax for the frame.
Old 01-06-20, 11:44 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
For me the point of having two winter bikes is to have one with studded tires and one without. Today was clear and 25F; riding with slicks was dreamy.
Old 01-07-20, 02:01 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
It was 60 degrees today not far from where I was. enough said.
Old 01-07-20, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by archwhorides
for me the point of having two winter bikes is to have one with studded tires and one without. Today was clear and 25f; riding with slicks was dreamy.
Old 01-07-20, 08:27 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
when I lived in Wisconsin, I had just two bicycles, an ice bike and a nice bike. The nice bike was a road race bike, and the Ice Bike, which I rode year-round, was a Raleigh 3 speed. it would go through snow and ice very easily. It's essentially no maintenance, all you have to do is put a little bit of oil in the hub once or twice a year. It had fenders to keep the sludge off of your back and a chain guard to keep your pants clean.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1