Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Staying in motels on rides

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Staying in motels on rides

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 04:41 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I have never asked in advance. I pick it up and carry it in. Nobody has ever said anything. Why would a bike not be allowed in a room?
Old 01-16-20, 05:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Ride it into the lobby. Track-stand while checking in. People will say a lot of things, but, "Don't take that in your room" won't be one of them.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-16-20, 05:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Perhaps a silly question, but as something I've never tried to do on a ride, what sort of experiences have people had staying in motels?

Any general pushback or feelings of unwelcome over showing up with the appearance and aroma of a long day's ride?
Is your cash green? That's all they care about.
Instances of being told you have to leave your bike outside? An overnight-worthy lock is hardly in the carry budget.
Never had an issue bringing a bike in a room. Muddy Mt bike might be different.

What about the mechanics of checking out to start riding at 5am?
Let them know ahead of time and it shouldn't be an issue, especially with card keys today.

In a way I'm particularly ignorant... haven't been in a hotel or motel period in a number of years, and have basically never done so under anything but the usual, sterile airport shuttle / taxi type business travel or conventional drive up in a car and unload a suitcase type road trip.
See above
Old 01-16-20, 06:03 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Hell, I've asked for rooms specifically on the ground floor just so it would be easier to roll it in from the lot. As mentioned above, don't be using the towels as rags and be mindful of the carpet -- don't ruin it for the rest of us.

-Kedosto
Old 01-16-20, 06:12 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Believe it or not, never had a problems with hotels in Arizona, Santa Barbara, California areas, but in Mexico, they did not allow us to bring our bikes through the lobby.
Old 01-16-20, 07:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I've not taken a bike into a hotel - never had reason to. But I have taken bikes into bars, stores, barbershops, etc, and I've been parking my commuter bike inside my office at three different jobs over many years. I just do it like it's the most normal, common thing in the world, and no one objects.
Old 01-16-20, 07:32 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
... also, I forgot to mention that many motels in towns and regions where cyclotourism is popular have 'Welcome Cyclists!' signs, and this generally means 'bring our bike in but don't clean them with our towels'.
+1

It may depend on the area but I've been to many areas in various states of terrible smell, sweat, and dirt. It is what it is. I try to get in and out of areas and I am aware of my own presence and state as bad as it may be. Pic below is in front of a Super8 after I took off my bags and about to use their hose on the bike and lower half of myself that was equally dirty. They allow bikes in the room. This was in Hancock MD off the C&O so maybe they are more flexible with that.

Last edited by u235; 01-16-20 at 08:05 PM.
Likes For u235:
Old 01-16-20, 07:44 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
This was in Hancock MD off the C&O so maybe they are more flexible with that.
It happens Leesburg, VA after crossing over from a ride out on the C&O is one of the ideas I'm pondering. Though for that I got a suggestion to pick a hotel willing to pick cyclists up at the ferry.
Old 01-16-20, 07:51 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
It happens Leesburg, VA after crossing over from a ride out on the C&O is one of the ideas I'm pondering. Though for that I got a suggestion to pick a hotel willing to pick cyclists up at the ferry.
I do that ride from C&O into Leesburg all the time, it's only 5 miles but I'm clueless about a uni so I can't judge that part. I live relatively close to there so I've never stayed there so I have no insight. I certainly have gone into some eateries there looking pretty bad.

Last edited by u235; 01-16-20 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-16-20, 08:46 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
+1

It may depend on the area but I've been to many areas in various states of terrible smell, sweat, and dirt. It is what it is. I try to get in and out of areas and I am aware of my own presence and state as bad as it may be. Pic below is in front of a Super8 after I took off my bags and about to use their hose on the bike and lower half of myself that was equally dirty. They allow bikes in the room. This was in Hancock MD off the C&O so maybe they are more flexible with that.
I rode lots of dirt trails from Detroit, MI to Bensalem, PA (Erie Canal ,and Delaware and Hudson). It wasn’t muddy but it was dusty. I was going to stay in a hotel in Bensalem but my bike look somewhat similar to yours. I stopped at a car wash and washed it before hand so that it would be cleaner. A couple of bucks, about 10 minutes and it was presentable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-16-20, 08:47 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I like to stay at places that include breakfast in the room price.
Old 01-16-20, 10:35 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Many stays with no problems at all, both solo and with groups, and with a tandem to boot. Only had a problem once, with a group in New Hope PA, but the innkeeper there was a tool in just about every way it is possible to be a tool.
Old 01-17-20, 01:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Some places in Europe we weren't allowed to bring our bicycles into the hotel room, but that was because the lifts and rooms were so small, I'm not entirely sure it would have been possible! Instead they usually provided us space in one of the conference rooms for the bicycles.

Occasional hostels didn't allow us to bring the bicycles into the room, but that was because the room was shared with several other people. Instead they provided us with a shed or someplace to put the bicycles.

Otherwise we've almost always brought the bicycles inside. We travel somewhere with the bicycles about once every 6 weeks or so and have done for decades.
Old 01-17-20, 05:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have never asked in advance. I pick it up and carry it in. Nobody has ever said anything. Why would a bike not be allowed in a room?
Personally, I would not trust a permission given in advance, since it will likely be from a different person than you encounter at check-in.

I just do it: "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." Never had a problem at motels, or even fine urban hotels; indeed the best ones were very accommodating. When I'm staying there, and leaving for early AM rides, I make acquaintances as I come and go.

I do try to be considerate of the room, and of other guests and staff when passing through public areas, especially elevators.

My only problem was at a rural campground where I was told cyclists can sneak away unnoticed. I complained that they were AAA-rated and I was an AAA member. The wife interceded and we stayed.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-17-20 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-17-20, 06:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
stayed all over the western united states in hotels/motels with a bike. never had an issue related to bringing the bike into the room.
Old 01-17-20, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Hell, I've asked for rooms specifically on the ground floor just so it would be easier to roll it in from the lot.
Same here when I have made reservations. I tell them I will be arriving by bike and thus would appreciate something on the ground floor.
Old 01-17-20, 02:52 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Never had to ask since I always lock the bike(s) inside the vehicle. Saves from having to remove them overnight from the rack/hitch and remounting them the following day. Mind you this might not work for all vehicles. That being said I don't think most establishments would take issue with bringing bikes into the room unless they are exceptionally grimy or mud caked.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Custom Bike Rack.pdf (320.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-17-20, 03:16 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I have done it a couple of times, but we had a car (weekend trip). We checked in went to our rooms, then brought the bikes inside through another door close to the room. No one knew (or probably cared). Touring in France on rented bikes, they were used to cyclists coming in off the bike path and were expecting us. They had a secured shed for bike storage. No one would have stolen those crappy bikes anyway.
Old 01-17-20, 03:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
Never had to ask since I always lock the bike(s) inside the vehicle. Saves from having to remove them overnight from the rack/hitch and remounting them the following day. Mind you this might not work for all vehicles. That being said I don't think most establishments would take issue with bringing bikes into the room unless they are exceptionally grimy or mud caked.
I'd lock my bike in the vehicle, but in my case, the bicycle (or for the OP, the unicycle) is the vehicle.
Old 01-19-20, 10:26 PM
Kenderbender

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aside from getting some weird looks occasionally, I’ve never had a problem staying in hotels.
Old 01-19-20, 11:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I did it once in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia on tour once and was just fine but they see a lot of cyclists so it wasn't an odd site I was glad for it too, after that day I was hurting after a nasty crash left one side of my body in pain so a nice warm shower and some Chinese Take-Out where just what I needed. Granted riding to the spot while not far was painful luckily though the crash was about 10 miles from Harpers Ferry and there was a super helpful and friendly guy who we rode on and off with who helped me get my bike up to the bridge because I couldn't.

Generally I find if you are friendly and maybe look a little bedraggled or sympathetic you can generally get a bike in a good number of places. If you plead with them you have no lock and will keep it out of the way or will make sure to keep things clean you should be OK. Also talking about your trip can help out quite a bit, when people here how far you have ridden unless they are also serious cyclists might be fairly impressed. I was commuting on my road bike but happened to have a bike packing seat pack on it (which was great for my commute as I only needed work clothes and a few other small packable things) and stopped off at a favorite local dim sum restaurant and the Waitress was like "how far did you go...you can park in here no problem" I had gone around a mile from my work and then it was 6 miles home but because I looked the part...
Old 01-20-20, 12:23 PM
flamencohead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
In 2003 my wife and I rode from San Francisco to New York city staying in hotels the whole way. We never had a problem finding hotels. A number of places would not allow bicycles inside but we always had it someplace secure to lock them. If you do need to check out early you just pay had the night before then just get up and go. We were usually on the road by 6am to beat the summer heat.
Old 01-20-20, 01:34 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Motels/bikes

I always stay at motel 6 and other low cost motels, never had a problem bringing bike in room other than sometimes a lack of elevator which means unloading bike and carry everything up and down to second floor (always prefer 2nd floor non smoking). Make reservation months in advance to check in Saturday early and leave Monday morning. Don't like to cycletour on Saturday and Sunday when roads are filled with drivers who start drinking early in the weekend mornings, and by out of town drivers who are not local and who are unfamiliar with the roads they are on, its just safer that way. I pay in advance, leave early am after puting key in office drop box. Motels are there to make money they don't care if you are sweaty etc. from cycling.

Last edited by yukiinu; 01-20-20 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 02:53 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 309 Posts
A bike in the room means more vehicle parking available outside for others. That should be a plus. If they gripe about rolling the tires down the hall, tell them they are no dirtier than people's shoes coming in from outside.

Like mentioned above, my college dorm required bikes to be kept in a locked room downstairs, probably because the dorm rooms were small.

But always good to ask in advance and have something in writing**. I could see an upstairs AirBnB with tight stairs not wanting the walls bashed bring the bike up and down.

** I just rented a U-Haul trailer, asked things before on the phone, get there and asked the same pointed questions, was told the opposite and had no choice but to do the rental. Always get things in writing first.
Old 01-20-20, 04:36 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
+1

I'm planning on a credit card camping ride this spring along the C&O/GAP to Meyersdale PA. That Super8 at Hancock was one of the planned stops. I see the reviews online of it, how did you like the hotel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.