Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disastrous ride that happened in your dream

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-21-20, 10:14 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts

A winter thread

What was the most disastrous ride that happened in your dream (uncontrolled dream during sleeping, not fantasies)?

I have previously ridden C&O and GAP myself IRL. In the dream I invited my brother to ride it. I think we got a LHT for him, and we almost finished the ride (<10miles left). We entered some building without locking the bikes outside. I realized it and we went out. Bikes disappeared. My id (DL with my home address)/card/keys/phone were inside a saddlebag, so they were all gone. I was about to call the police from the brother's phone, but I realized I must have been sleeping and woke up.
Old 01-22-20, 12:29 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Nothing like that, but I've had at least one weird "transportation" dream where I started out on decent roads on a bike, and as I got further along the route the general conditions became post-apocalyptic and I had to abandon the bike and continue on foot. I never did figure out where I'd started from or was going to or why, but dreams are like that.
Old 01-22-20, 03:25 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Odd, but considering how much I enjoy cycling, I don't think I've ever dreamed of riding a bike. Maybe the real thing is good enough and there are no unresolved issues. Assuming that's what dreams are for. I'm not sure experts have ever agreed on the purpose of dreams.

However, I play piano well... in my dreams. Never even attempted it in real life. I was a mediocre guitar player but rarely dream of that.

I seem to spend a lot of time flying or at least gliding just above ground level in my dreams. Kinda fun.

Most of my dreams are so mundane I can hardly remember them and occasionally mistake them for real events, until I wake up and think about it.
Old 01-22-20, 03:54 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I keep dreaming I'm on a 1200K. I've reached the 400K point, and all of a sudden I go into slow motion and I lose things and can't get my act together and the clock is ticking ....

In 2017 and early 2018, when I had started training for a 1200K again, in my dreams I make it to the 600K point before it all falls apart ... now I'm back to falling apart at 400K.
Old 01-22-20, 06:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Last night I dreamt that I saw Joe Hill while riding.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-22-20, 07:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I was riding a Trek 930 on the Katy Trail. From the other direction, weaving as if impaired, came a rider playing the accordion with one hand, eating Cheez-its with the other. Bike was 1992 Trek 1200 with full Campy Super Record. I was saved when, with a loud flushing sound, the ground opened and sucked the rider down into Trolldom. Winter gets long....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-22-20, 07:52 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I'm with canklecat , for all my riding as a near daily bike commuter, I rarely dream about bikes. Trains, planes, automobiles and busses, yes...bikes...very rarely.

But just last night, as a matter of fact, I did dream about a biking "disaster".

In the dream I was on a local mixed-use path and had slowed as I came up behind a young woman pushing a stroller on the right edge of the path. As I passed her at slightly faster than walking speed, she suddenly turned left and I gently nudged the stoller back to the right with my front wheel. The woman began screaming at me that I deliberately ran into her stroller, I tried to defend myself saying that she had suddenly turned in front of me, and that it was because of my many decades of riding experience, and my deference to pedestrians on the trail that I was able to gently guide her stroller back towards the edge of the path. A crowd began gathering and the dream ended.

Maybe not the kind of "disaster" you were thinking of, but in the dream I was truly upset and frustrated that nobody acknowledged my skill at gently guiding the stoller to the right rather than merely plowing into it.

Also in the dream I never saw, heard or was aware of any infant in the stroller.

Plus, why didn't I give the pedestrian a wider berth on the MUP in my dream? In real life my standard procedure when coming up behind pedestrians, especially with kids or dogs is to swing left to the opposite side of the trail (when possbile), ring my bell, then slow down as I pass.

In fact just a couple of days ago I took a Sunday ride which included a stretch on the same MUP that was in my dream. In real life I came up behind a couple with a dog on a leash, and coming the other way was a young couple with two zig-zagging pre-school aged kids followed by a couple of joggers. It seemed as if we were going to converge at the same point at the same time, so I pulled off the trail to the right and stopped. The kids and dog gravitated towards each other and met in the center of the trail, and the joggers shifted to their right and ran around the kids off the shoulder of the trail opposite me. I probably could have swung by off the trail on the right also, but if the dog was on a long-ish leash, or of it was a "retractable/extendable"one, it could have also run off the trail to the right.

When the path cleared, I continued on.

Sunday's MUP episode most likely triggered last night's dream. But if the real life event transpired without danger, drama or distress...why would I have a stressfull MUP dream?

I humbly submit that the moderators create a "Counseling and Therapy" Forum to help us cyclists deal with the various emotional and psychological challenges of cycling...

...or is that already what BIkeforums is?
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-22-20, 08:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I realized the other night that dreams I have where I'm flying seem to be really about riding. It's more how it feels in the dream than the actual imagery. I sort of step off the ground and just keep going. My subconscious just seems to edit out the machinery.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-22-20, 09:01 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I seldom remember my dreams at all, and when I do, they don't make much sense. A rare exception lately seemed like the plot of a TV pilot about a mysterious disappearance. My wife has elaborate dreams - usually about living a different lifetime, if something had been different in the past. She wants to share them but I've got nothing to share back.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-22-20, 10:44 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I used to regularly have the falling dream.

I'd be riding on my bike, as soon as I was aware I was on a bike in my dream, I would crash and wake up.

This has occurred at least dozens of times. Not often but enough to remember.
Old 01-22-20, 10:54 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
One I've had a few times was where I am going over a jump at an unrealistically high speed, and as a result take off so high that death by crashing against the ground seems to be imminent. Never got so far though.
Perhaps I should try to force myself next time; I used to have recurring dreams of falling from high places, but once I forced myself to not wake up during the process and fall all the way to the ground instead - which resulted in precisely nothing, those dreams stopped.
Old 01-22-20, 11:31 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I once dreamt that I was unable to go for even a 30 mile ride without wearing spandex and cycling shoes while also loading up my cf bike with multiple water bottles, a computer, a camera, and a power meter.
Worst nightmare I ever had.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 01-22-20, 02:18 PM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I dreamed that I was riding through a convoluted residential area, all cul-de-sacs and looping, twisting unsigned roads and intersections. I could hear sirens in the distance and was trying to avoid them. As I became increasingly frantic the sirens grew closer. Eventually I stopped and looking down, realized I was covered in blood. And realized the sirens were for me. Then I woke up.
Old 01-22-20, 09:44 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I’ve never had a bad bike dream. Ever.
Old 01-26-20, 01:12 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have had numerous dreams about my bikes getting stolen.
Old 01-26-20, 08:47 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
Two reacurring dreams I've had for years. One is climbing a mountain, road goes up and up, gets narrower and narrower. Crest the top and its straight vertical down. Thats when I wake up.

The other is I'm riding in a long string of riders. The "road" is just wide enough for one bike with shear dropoffs on both sides. The road zigzags with sharp corners. To get ahead I have to jump my bike ahead on the corners. Sometimes the two dreams combine into one. Very bizarre, and frightening dreams.
Old 01-26-20, 12:57 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I have this weird recurrent dream where I'm climbing up a hill on my fixed gear. It turns into this weird kind of recumbent machine and I cannot get it to go forward - it's like I'm trying to walk up a hill or something.

Otherwise, my bicycling dreams are generally quite lovely. I've had a few where I get a couple of my riding companions to go into a car and let me draft the car at 45MPH. I wonder what that means?!
Old 01-26-20, 01:55 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I had a bad dream that forum member Bernie beat me on a timed event of which he challenged me. We had both signed up for a timed event, 100 miles 10,000 ft of climbing. He made some pretty outrageous comments on the forums. Pretty much saying that if he had a bad day, I MIGHT be able to keep up with him. But highly unlikely seeing that he was a well known accomplished rider. Having done RAM, Furnace Creek 508, Paris brest Paris (spelling?), multiple double centuries, multiple rando rides. He bragged about his $8000 Colnago, his climbing wheels, descending gears and his many many racing awards. I guess my recreational style was no match for his strength and experience. He said my riding style was lacking and he actually made fun of my $1000 bike and heavy wheels that I built. He saw my ride reports about riding on the bike trails. Usually the day after climbing 5,000 ft so he said I could not compete with him. Of course, he was reading the fake headlines ha ha ha!

But yeah, it was just a bad dream. I bettered his time on the ride by more than an hour!

He started before me, I actually passed him then stopped on the climb to let him roll by knowing I'd pass him again. He shouted out something about passing me on the descent with his amazing bike and descending gears. But I'm a pretty good descender myself so he had no chance of catching after I put a large gap between us on the climb. Sometimes the little guy can spank you if you under estimate him.

After the official results were posted, he didn't say much on the forums.

Oh wait, this was not my nightmare, it was his!
Old 01-26-20, 03:28 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've had the molasses-type dream where the cranks are teensy tiny

and I can't get any speed.

Fairly regular cycling dreams but not disastrous.
Old 01-26-20, 11:31 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
A winter thread

What was the most disastrous ride that happened in your dream (uncontrolled dream during sleeping, not fantasies)?
Last year was this similar thread on Fifty-Plus, “Weird cycling dreams.”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Sometimes I have to absolutely be there for an early start time. I posted about those concerns early in my career, to this thread, "whats the scariest part of your ride????. .
For the first few years when I started commuting to work, I would dream that I had to be there for a critical procedure the first thing in the morning, and I was too far away to get there on time.

Much like that paradigmatic dream of going for a final exam, and can’t find the room / didn’t attend the class.
"
↓↓↓↓
Old 01-26-20, 11:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
ɅɅɅɅ
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I realized the other night that dreams I have where I'm flying seem to be really about riding. It's more how it feels in the dream than the actual imagery.

I sort of step off the ground and just keep going. My subconscious just seems to edit out the machinery.
Speaking of flying dreams, I have posted:
Originally Posted by MinnMan
"Bike Riding vs Cycling"

Or, as I read last year,I don't know what the right word is - I tend to prefer "cycling, like the OP", but I do know that at the right moment, bicycle riding is transcendental in a way that is hard to describe unless you've felt it.

Or, as I read last year,

"I asked Robin Williams why he loved riding a bicycle so much. He said it was the closest you can get to flying."
…Anyways, one description of the experience I later thought of was the flying analogy. I presume many people have flying dreams.

For me I take a little running start and fly effortlessly and smoothly at a speed between walking and cycling, at about eight feet off the ground, and while in flight it seems so real to me.

When riding my high end CF on a smooth, flat to slightly downhill road, that’s the closest I get in real life.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-27-20 at 04:23 AM.