Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seeking Moots Identity

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Seeking Moots Identity

Old 02-16-20, 10:21 AM
jamesklayer

Bikes: Moots Mootour (Chorus/Zipp 303), Soma Smoothie (Ultegra, Hunt Race Aero), Mondonico Futura Leggero (Frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Seeking Moots Identity

Recently purchases a used Moots off ebay. Owner listed it as "Vamooots Lt" but Moots tell me it's a "Mootour" from 2007. My internet findings tell me this might actually be a "Pyschlo" or a "Routt". What's also interesting is any bike with these types of stays that I can find uses Cantilever brakes whereas this one has a wishbone stay with a brazed-on mount for a Side Pull Caliper.

Wondering if maybe the original owner is on here and/or maybe someone just has some additional information about this specific frame. Anything is greatly appreciated.

Side note: The oldest catalog I can find is from 2009. I have provided both photos from the catalog for comparison.

Thank you to all!

Last edited by jamesklayer; 02-17-20 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Now w/ Photos & More Concise
Old 02-16-20, 10:39 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
What does it matter for anything?? It's not a museum piece. Either you like the way it rides or you don't.
Get parts that fit and ride.
Old 02-16-20, 10:42 AM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts

Last edited by brian3069; 02-17-20 at 04:17 PM.
Likes For brian3069:
Old 02-16-20, 10:47 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
What does it matter for anything??
Pretty simple. It matters because he wants to know exactly what he has. And that is good enough.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-16-20, 10:47 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Congratulations!
Likes For Gconan:
Old 02-16-20, 10:49 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Pic assist.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-16-20, 10:59 AM
jamesklayer

Bikes: Moots Mootour (Chorus/Zipp 303), Soma Smoothie (Ultegra, Hunt Race Aero), Mondonico Futura Leggero (Frame)

Wow. Everyone is being so kind! Thanks!
Old 02-16-20, 11:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
I’m confused. You went to the source and they told you exactly what the bike is. What more information do you need? The slight differences in the frame from the catalog won’t make any difference functionally. Build it, ride it and tell people what Moots told you about what the bike is. Moots bikes aren’t cookie cutter production bikes so there are differences for reasons that may not be clear to you as the second owner.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-16-20, 11:15 AM
jamesklayer

I suppose you are right but who knows - maybe the person with the papers uses this forum. In a perfect world, Moots sends me the entire schematics file but alas they did not. So, why not try?

The general curiosity to know more about what I just bought simply seems intrinsic to me.

Last edited by jamesklayer; 02-16-20 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 07:57 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I, too, bought a frame that I was unable to ID exactly, although I do know the manufacturer and approximate age. I can't say that this lack of knowledge prevented me from customizing the build up or enjoying riding it; however my curiosity about the specifics still remains. I understand the OP's quest perfectly.

Good luck.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 02-17-20, 08:26 AM
jamesklayer

Thanks to all for supporting the quest!

I am very confident I will have have little to no issue building this bicycle but for those who know about the unexpected and fickle complications one can face in bicycle-maintenance; how can it ever hurt to know more?

I am simply just playing detective on a case that strikes my curiosity. Moots themselves tell me one thing, my eyeballs and the internet tell me another. If there is history and/or reasoning for this specific frame design, it would please me to know and also might serve as beneficial during the build process.

For example, the brazed on brake mount may be the one thing that oddly interferes with what would otherwise be lots of tire clearance (something I'll be able to examine in person once I receive the frame) - but it begs the question, why have it on this frame?

The other reason is to be inclusive in a community where I just assumed people got "enthused" about these sorts of things. I know I would be interested in a frame's journey. Hell, maybe GCN will even give me a SUPER-LIKE when it is all said and done.

Last edited by jamesklayer; 02-17-20 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-17-20, 09:16 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by jamesklayer
Thanks to all for supporting the quest!

I am very confident I will have have little to no issue building this bicycle but for those who know about the unexpected and fickle complications one can face in bicycle-maintenance; how can it ever hurt to know more?

I am simply just playing detective on a case that strikes my curiosity. Moots themselves tell me one thing, my eyeballs and the internet tell me another. If there is history and/or reasoning for this specific frame design, it would please me to know and also might serve as beneficial durning the build process. For example, the brazed on brake mount may be the one thing that oddly interferes with what would otherwise be lots of tire clearance (something I'll be able to examine in person once I receive the frame) - but it begs the question, why have it on this frame?

The other reason is to be inclusive in a community where I just assumed people got "enthused" about these sorts of things. I know I would be interested in a frame's journey. Hell, maybe GCN will even give me a SUPER-LIKE when it is all said and done.
Again, if you want information, go to the source. Moots has been very responsive when I’ve contacted them. There is no mystery here. It’s a Mootour according to the people who made it. Ask them why it has a wishbone stay instead of a more traditional stay. That’s the only difference that I can see between what you have and the catalog Mootour.

The reason for that brake mount is because that looks like they only way they could have put a side pull brake on that kind of stay. You can’t just drill a hole through a wishbone stay. Well, you could but it would have to be at an angle ad it would be very difficult to align the brake properly. The tab like you have is a work around. It’s not good or bad, it’s just different.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-17-20, 09:16 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I am simply just playing detective on a case that strikes my curiosity. Moots themselves tell me one thing, my eyeballs and the internet tell me another. .
To clarify however, your eyeballs are looking a catalog 2 yrs newer (2009) than your bike, right?
Old 02-17-20, 09:35 AM
jamesklayer

cyccommute

I did indeed write Moots a second time with my findings and will see what they have to say. Not sure how else to reiterate that I am simply just curious. Not sure why you care so much to not care.

Sy Reene

Yes, 2009 is as far back as I can find in regards to their catalog. I have also scoured the entire internet to try and find something that comes close. I have found one bike that appears to be the Pyschlo/Routt build with a YBB and a brazed on Caliper Mount whereas every single other version I find is Cantilever.

For all I know the original owner is on here and might want to chat. For those who seem to be bothered by my inquiry - I dunno', just stop paying attention?

Last edited by jamesklayer; 02-17-20 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 09:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
From a review of a 2006 Mootour on another forum.. a couple pics. Does this look like your rear setup on your bike?
jamesklayer From his review, it looks like he opted for a "YBB" option in the rear
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/bi...les-64538.html

Last edited by Sy Reene; 02-17-20 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-17-20, 09:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
What does it matter for anything?? It's not a museum piece. Either you like the way it rides or you don't.
Get parts that fit and ride.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-17-20, 09:53 AM
jamesklayer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
From a review of a 2006 Mootour on another forum.. a couple pics. Does this look like your rear setup on your bike?
jamesklayer From his review, it looks like he opted for a "YBB" option in the rear
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/bi...les-64538.html

Ah! Thank you. Finally a "Mootour" with those types of stays and a side-pull caliper! Thanks for the information!

Last edited by jamesklayer; 02-17-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-17-20, 10:08 AM
cyccommute 

I did indeed write Moots a second time with my findings and will see what they have to say. The difference I see is not just the "mono-stay" but the shape and design of the seat and chain stays. They do not resemble any Mootour I can find but more so the Pyschlo (stated in my original post). Not sure how else to reiterate that I am simply just curious. Not sure why you care so much to not care.
The “mono-stay” is the seat stay. The whole unit from the seat to the rear dropout is the mono-stay. The chainstays don’t look any different from what the catalog says.

Your comments sound more like you are concerned than you are curious. There is nothing wrong with the bike and Moots has told you what it is.

Yes, 2009 is as far back as I can find in regards to their catalog. I have also scoured the entire internet to try and find something that comes close. I have found one bike that appears to be the Pyschlo/Routt build with a YBB and a brazed on Caliper Mount whereas every single other version I find is Cantilever.

For all I know the original owner is on here and might want to chat. For those who seem to be bothered by my inquiry - I dunno', just stop paying attention?
This one isn’t a YBB

Moots: mootour by Hugger Industries, on Flickr

Same bike. Same configuration.

Old 02-17-20, 10:10 AM
jamesklayer

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The “mono-stay” is the seat stay. The whole unit from the seat to the rear dropout is the mono-stay. The chainstays don’t look any different from what the catalog says.

Your comments sound more like you are concerned than you are curious. There is nothing wrong with the bike and Moots has told you what it is.

This one isn’t a YBB

Moots: mootour by Hugger Industries, on Flickr

Same bike. Same configuration.
Thank you for this photo. It satisfies my curiosity, 'not concern'. Cheers.
Old 02-17-20, 10:32 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
Moots will make custom frames. Mine had to be because of my back injury and the position that I have to ride in. My nephew (who owns the shop I got it at) also surprised me by having them add the chainholder, which many do not have and can throw someone off kilter about how it got there. That being said, after the 12 weeks it took to make the frame, it came to me with a blueprint of all the dimensions, with the serial number on it. Perhaps that one is custom. Maybe you can ask Moots to check their records to see if that one is indeed a custom and look it up by serial. Maybe they still have a copy of it somewhere and can send you a print out of the measurements.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 02-17-20, 10:51 AM
jamesklayer

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Moots will make custom frames. Mine had to be because of my back injury and the position that I have to ride in. My nephew (who owns the shop I got it at) also surprised me by having them add the chainholder, which many do not have and can throw someone off kilter about how it got there. That being said, after the 12 weeks it took to make the frame, it came to me with a blueprint of all the dimensions, with the serial number on it. Perhaps that one is custom. Maybe you can ask Moots to check their records to see if that one is indeed a custom and look it up by serial. Maybe they still have a copy of it somewhere and can send you a print out of the measurements.
I originally wrote them with a photo of the badge and serial number to which they responded "It's a Mootour from 2007". Yes, I know that is a direct answer (for those who seem to think that is enough). I did write them a second time with a more detailed inquiry whilst hoping they would provide such information similar to what you just suggested. Awaiting their reply.

In a perfect world they would send me scans and/or files of everything. I suppose I should reiterate to those who think my curiosity isn't worth anything beyond this point - I like bikes and I just want to know as much as I can know.

I guess at the end of the day my curiosity falls into the area of having a frame that can take larger tires but with a custom piece that takes away that advantage. Yes, maybe for the comfort of the rider?

Thank you for the information and your interest!
Old 02-17-20, 11:36 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
I guess at the end of the day my curiosity falls into the area of having a frame that can take larger tires but with a custom piece that takes away that advantage. Yes, maybe for the comfort of the rider?

Thank you for the information and your interest!
The way I see it, that brake mount actually improves tire clearance. I wouldn't worry about it
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-17-20, 11:44 AM
jamesklayer

Originally Posted by alcjphil
The way I see it, that brake mount actually improves tire clearance. I wouldn't worry about it
Ah! I hope you are right. I get the frame on Thursday. Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-17-20, 11:46 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
Beautiful frame. But straddle wire brakes?? Sooo 1990....
Old 02-17-20, 01:52 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Beautiful frame. But straddle wire brakes?? Sooo 1990....

This one takes standard sidepull calipers. Cross bikes were using standard cantilevers up until disc brakes took over -- they have more mud clearance than the linear pull brakes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.