Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

1995 (?) GT Timberline

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

1995 (?) GT Timberline

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 01:09 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Miradaman
Well, now that I’ve searched for GT mountain bikes they keep popping up in my Facebook Marketplace feed willy-nilly. This one is $95 so it’s also in my price range, and oddly enough located in the same general vicinity as the other two, about 45 minutes from my house. Appears to possibly have a RockShox fork as well. Looks a bit small for 5’10” though. Anyone want to weigh in on what they think my best bet of the three is? Any input is appreciated.

looks like a 18" should fit fine. This one looks like the best out of the three. The first is old and dirty and the second is bottom of the barrel GT, though looks in good shape.
Old 02-11-20, 01:41 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
looks like a 18" should fit fine. This one looks like the best out of the three. The first is old and dirty and the second is bottom of the barrel GT, though looks in good shape.
Thanks much for your input, I appreciate it. I'll drop the blue Outpost from my list and go check out the black Karakoram this weekend. If I don't like the fit I'll take a look at the Timberline as a last resort, as it's located in the same town.
Old 02-16-20, 09:02 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Thanks much for your input, I appreciate it. I'll drop the blue Outpost from my list and go check out the black Karakoram this weekend. If I don't like the fit I'll take a look at the Timberline as a last resort, as it's located in the same town.
update required please...
Old 02-17-20, 08:57 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Originally Posted by qclabrat
update required please...
Alas, did not get the chance to look at either. Both are located about an hour from my home and I couldn't find the time. Hoping for next weekend.

On the plus side, earlier in the week I bought 3 decent bikes and a couple of bike seats as a package deal for $70 from an elderly gent who was downsizing so he could sell his house and move south. Instead of checking out the GTs I spent Saturday cleaning and tuning them. Sold two plus one of the seats on Sunday for a total of $250, so there's that. $180 profit and I still have one bike left which I'm debating keeping as it rides super nice.
Old 02-18-20, 01:28 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Alas, did not get the chance to look at either. Both are located about an hour from my home and I couldn't find the time. Hoping for next weekend.

On the plus side, earlier in the week I bought 3 decent bikes and a couple of bike seats as a package deal for $70 from an elderly gent who was downsizing so he could sell his house and move south. Instead of checking out the GTs I spent Saturday cleaning and tuning them. Sold two plus one of the seats on Sunday for a total of $250, so there's that. $180 profit and I still have one bike left which I'm debating keeping as it rides super nice.
awesome deal
Old 02-18-20, 02:13 PM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
awesome deal
Yep, got lucky with that one. The guy was much more concerned with having everything gone than with making money so everybody won in the end.
Likes For Miradaman:
Old 02-23-20, 01:05 PM
Miradaman

OK, so found the time to check out both the Timberline and the Karakoram. Didn't bother with the Outpost as it looked too big and qclabrat advised above that it was bottom of the barrel in the lineup. The Karakoram turned out to be way too small once I got on it plus it had twist shifters, which I'm not at all a fan of, and to me just give a bike a cheap feel. When I researched online I got the impression the Karakoram was a more upmarket bike and should have had Deore derailliuers and thumb shifters, which this one did not. Anyway, moot point as it was uncomfortably small. Took a look at the Timberline next as it was located in the same town as the Karakoram. Right size for me, looked only moderately used and had a good quality solid feel to it. RockShox fork offered good resistance when I pushed down on it and returned to position smoothly. So I bought it for $80. Needs a tuneup and will need new tires so will do both over the next couple months as time and money allow.
Likes For Miradaman: