Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

PMC Training Peaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 06:45 PM
Poonjabby

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, Specialized Roubiax,S-Work Roubaix, Specialized Amira S-Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PMC Training Peaks

I have always envisioned periodization to look like gradual builds towards a peak right before an A event, followed by a valley and another peak...wash, rinse, repeat.

Last year, mine reached one peak and then steadily declined even though I had 3 A events total.

This year, I’ve reached a plateau and have stayed there since April. My first A race was early June and second was in early July.

For what it’s worth, I felt better physically last year than I did this year.

What should a properly periodized training plan look like in the PMC chart?
Old 07-12-18, 07:59 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
What do you mean by peaks and valleys? CTL, ATL, or TSB? CTL should not dip significantly the weeks before your peak event, but you should be tapering while keeping the intensity high so your ATL comes down and your TSB(CTL-ATL) comes back up to 0 - +15 depending on where you race best.
Old 07-12-18, 08:22 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I think it's going to depend a lot on the athlete, the experience, and the events. I'd be more concerned with performance than what the chart shows.

With CTL declining, how did you feel in your last A event? Still good?

I've found that I can still race crits really well with significantly lower CTL, but road races start suffering pretty quickly.

Here's my chart from 2016 where I did a better job of periodizing. First big block was in preparation for April and May races, CTL peaked at 100 before dropping to 89 by the end of the racing block. Had a few really good races. 2nd build was in June for Elite RR and Crit Nats. CTL peaked at 104 in mid June and dropped to 89 again by the event date on July 2nd or whenever. Had really good races getting 11th in the crit and 48th or something in the RR, though I still got dropped 100 miles in to the RR by virtue of never doing races anywhere near that long.

Never got above 92 for the rest of the season but residual fitness and race sharpness carried me through to a couple of more wins and podiums.

Old 07-13-18, 04:05 PM
Poonjabby

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, Specialized Roubiax,S-Work Roubaix, Specialized Amira S-Works

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redlude97
What do you mean by peaks and valleys? CTL, ATL, or TSB? CTL should not dip significantly the weeks before your peak event, but you should be tapering while keeping the intensity high so your ATL comes down and your TSB(CTL-ATL) comes back up to 0 - +15 depending on where you race best.
I meant CTL.

Sort of like this as an example...this is how I imagined it should look.
Old 07-13-18, 04:16 PM
Poonjabby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is my PMC from Jan 2017 to today.

I felt physically better through out all of last season than I have so far this season.

Notice the steady decline in 2018 after my first A race in early April.

In 2018, CTL plateaus. My first A race was the secon weekend in June.

Last edited by Poonjabby; 07-13-18 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 04:31 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Poonjabby

Here is my PMC from Jan 2017 to today.

I felt physically better through out all of last season than I have so far this season.

Notice the steady decline in 2018 after my first A race in early April.

In 2018, CTL plateaus. My first A race was the secon weekend in June.

Notice how the ATL(pink) drops(valleys) faster than the CTL? Thats what you are trying to leverage when trying to peak. I assume you started your season last year around mid june as well and felt super strong? Your TSB peaked at that point before your CTL dropped too much. The main issue with your chart for this year is that your TSB has been hovering in the 0 to -10 range which is the dreaded gray zone. Not enough training to stimulate fitness gains(increased CTL) while not recovering enough to be fresh. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/a...tress-balance/
Old 07-13-18, 05:31 PM
Poonjabby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My season actually started with Joe Martin (early April) in 2017. My secon A Race was Tulsa tough first weekend of June.

This year, my first race was Snake Alley (Memorial Day) and my second was Natural State (first weekend in July).

Last year I felt great! This year I feel flat, sluggish and just less power to push the pedals.
Old 07-14-18, 07:47 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Poonjabby

This year, my first race was Snake Alley (Memorial Day) and my second was Natural State (first weekend in July).

Haaa. I couldn't imagine a worst first race. Especially with the 95 degree temps this year!