Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Must Have Accessories

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Must Have Accessories

Old 08-17-10, 07:46 AM
semax10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Must Have Accessories

I am looking to get my first bike in 10+ yr. I'll primarily be using to get to work and around NYC. I know that aside from the bike itself; the accessories can add up to a pretty heft expense. I trying to figure out what I have to buy now and what I can get over time. What do you consider some of the must have accessories?
Old 08-17-10, 07:59 AM
spwelton

Bikes: Specialized/Globe Vienna

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A saddle bag (with spare tube, tire levers, and multitool), a frame pump, and water bottles and cages. I also have fenders on my bike for rainy days.

That's basically all i carry.
Old 08-17-10, 08:09 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Where I ride, helmet is a must have accessory by law, don't know about OP's neighborhood. A good lock, again the level of "good" depending on local conditions. Really good locks are expensive. And I wouldn't commute without a pannier or large saddlebag, though some people prefer messenger bags or backpacks.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 08-17-10, 08:27 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flat kit, spare tube, pump or CO2 cartridges. Keep all that in your briefcase or bag that you take to work. For NYC, get a krypto/abus/granite chain and u-lock combo. A water bottle is always useful. A thermos for morning coffee is a nice luxury. A multi-tool w/ chain breaker is good for any mechanical more complicated than a flat. That's pretty much it.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 08-17-10, 08:30 AM
tligman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Must have: a red rear blinkie light w/ reflector - i bought mine on sale for $15 w/ a headlight from performance and went back the next day to buy another one for my son's bike. I have no doubt that cars can see me when it's blinking.

Might also want: A cheap cycling computer -- mine was < $14 at Target and you can get them for $9 from Meritline. I mostly use it for the odometer, because it's a lot of fun to watch the miles keep adding up.
Old 08-17-10, 08:58 AM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lights and mirror are what I would get first. Next would be frame pump, followed by multi-tool and patch kit (w/tube of course). Also at some point I'd recommend an AirZound and panniers.

Based on what I payed for everything, $30 for Planet Bike blinkie and a cheap headlight, $12 Thirdeye mirror, $25 Road Morph pump (which is good enough that I don't need a floor pump), $20 Park Tools multi-tool, $8 patch kit and tube, AirZound $25. You can get M-Wave Double Day Trippers (cheap-o but effective grocery bag panniers) for $25, or a better M-Wave for $45. YMMV.
Old 08-17-10, 11:00 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
The must haves are you, a bike, and a way to carry any stuff you need to carry. There are a lot of accessories that can make your commute safer and more pleasant but those vary depending on where and when you travel among other things.

For example, if you ever commute in the dark, lights might be a legal requirement or just a really good idea. Fenders can help keep the road gunk off you and your bike in wet weather. If you wear your work clothes on your commute and you work in an office, fenders might rise to the level of near necessity.

Some wouldn't commute without a mirror, while others are content to ride without one. A lock is a necessity if you leave your bike outside in most places. It's still nice to have one even if you can bring your bike into your workplace in case you stop someplace in between work and home.

Tools: The list of items I bring with has grown over time but there's no point in carrying a chain breaker if you don't know how to use it. It's a very good idea to learn how to change a tube if you don't already so I suggest carrying a pump and a spare tube.

In the beginning I bought some cheap accessories from target or whatever and they didn't last. On the one hand it seems like a waste of money and that I should have gotten higher quality stuff right off the bat. On the other hand, there was no guarantee when I started commuting regularly that I was going to continue. Also by the time the cheap stuff broke, I knew better from experience what features were important to me. I guess what I'm saying is not to go too crazy with spending money on accessories right off the bat.

Last edited by tjspiel; 08-17-10 at 01:46 PM.