Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Affinity frames - Opinions?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 12:53 AM
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.

Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Design-wise, affinity frames have been near the top of my list for considerations for my next frame. I have noticed that hardly anyone on ssfg has them aside from a few lo pros, which made me wonder - Is there a good reason to or not to get one?

pics for clicks
They look like beautiful frames

Old 04-08-11, 12:55 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first one looks like a Tiemeyer rip off. Uncool.
Old 04-08-11, 07:57 AM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's always been something that bothers me about the first frame. I think it's the dinky little seatpost sticking out of the huge aero seat tube.
Old 04-08-11, 08:07 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Supermeh!
Old 04-08-11, 08:24 AM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They also seem overpriced for what they are. $500 for a 4130 frame and fork?
Old 04-08-11, 09:39 AM
hamish5178

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squirrelli
The first one looks like a Tiemeyer rip off. Uncool.
Oh come on dude. Most aero-Al frames look the same. The Kissena just has that long seat-tube that Tiemeyer also has, that doesn't make it a rip-off. Not to mention that the Kissena is made of "nicer" Al for about half the price of a Tiemeyer.

On that not, I'm curious, why does noone ever ***** about Tiemeyer using 6061 and having ugly welds? But people complain all day about Leader? I'm genuinely curious, not hating, I've never seen a Tiemeyer in person.
Old 04-08-11, 10:10 AM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think 7005 is cheaper than 6061. 6000 series aluminums require extensive heat treating/solid solution treatment to regain strength after welding, but the 7005 doesn't. That makes it cheaper and easier to manufacture, and is probably why Affinity uses it on their Kissenas. The difference between the two in a quality made final product is probably negligible, though. Kind of like Reynolds 631 versus Reynolds 853.

Tiemeyer welds actually look pretty good for hand welded aluminum. It's pretty unfair to compare a robot welded aluminum frame to a handmade aluminum frame.

Last edited by yummygooey; 04-08-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 10:15 AM
Dauphine

Bikes: Terry Ganbit.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take my bike to the Affinity shop for servicing since it's near my office, but the bikes they build are just slightly to 'meh' for my taste as well. That seat tube kind of scares me a little, but it is the shop around for 'cool fixie messenger types' to hang out in. They know their stuffs, and some of the full builds that they sell in the store are obviously rip offs. $900 for a steel single speed with generic parts? Thanks but no thanks. That said, I have a friend who rides the one with the scary seat tube, and he thinks it's the jam.
Old 04-08-11, 10:24 AM
hamish5178

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yummygooey
I think 7005 is cheaper than 6061. 6000 series aluminums require extensive heat treating/solid solution treatment to regain strength after welding, but the 7005 doesn't. That makes it cheaper and easier to manufacture, and is probably why Affinity uses it on their Kissenas. The difference between the two in a quality made final product is probably negligible, though. Kind of like Reynolds 631 versus Reynolds 853.

Tiemeyer welds actually look pretty good for hand welded aluminum. It's pretty unfair to compare a robot welded aluminum frame to a handmade aluminum frame.
So you're saying my Team Track is made of more expensive Al than a Concept/Super Pista/Fuji Track Pro?

I know nothing about Aluminum, this is just contrary to what I usually read on here.
Old 04-08-11, 10:32 AM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wasn't saying for sure that 6000 series is more expensive than 7000 series, I was just trying to speculate as to why different alloys have different costs. I don't know what aluminum prices are, but there are a lot of factors... manufacturing processes are just part of it. Just like there is straight gauge 4130, butted 4130, Reynolds 520, etc, there are many different types of 6061 or 7005 aluminum tubing you can get. I suppose you can't really say that 6061 is "nicer" than 7005 or vice versa, and you can't say the same about costs either. I'm sure you can find both "cheap" and "expensive" frames with all sorts of aluminum alloys.

There's a lot of reading online and on BF about the differences. Here's a thread, for example:

https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-482375.html

I'm sure there are other reasons for choosing an aluminum alloy over another one. Machineability, weldability, heat treatability, ultimate tensile strength, stress/cycle data, etc. I don't know why Bianchi uses 7005 and Tiemeyer uses 6061, but like I said before, you probably won't notice the difference. The main benefit of 7005 is that is has a higher UTS and thinner tubing can be used, but I think with a proper frame design you can get an equally stiff 6061 frame without compromising the weight.

Last edited by yummygooey; 04-08-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 11:55 AM
dookski
meat popsicle

Bikes: Gitane, Frienze, Kilo, Masi, Fuji, Playdate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dauphine
I take my bike to the Affinity shop for servicing since it's near my office, but the bikes they build are just slightly to 'meh' for my taste as well. That seat tube kind of scares me a little, but it is the shop around for 'cool fixie messenger types' to hang out in. They know their stuffs, and some of the full builds that they sell in the store are obviously rip offs. $900 for a steel single speed with generic parts? Thanks but no thanks. That said, I have a friend who rides the one with the scary seat tube, and he thinks it's the jam.
I used to go to Affinity for all my local bike needs too. I was immediately impressed that they had their own production frames and sponsored a local racing team. Their frames do look nice, but also seemed more expensive than they needed to be. If anyone is interested in Affinity's bicycles, I would first find a local manufacturer and see what they have to offer as supporting a local business was the only reason I could justify the price.

As for my lbs experience there- They installed my bottom bracket and headset on a bike I built up a few years ago. Later, after having a lot of headset problems and several servicing fails I started taking my business elsewhere (One of the mechanics actually remarked to me how the steerer tube was cut incorrectly and asked who installed it, oops). Generally they were nice guys and very helpful. I was invited to a bike polo game my first trip and once they removed a cog from a complete bike for me when I really needed it.
Old 04-08-11, 11:58 AM
Dauphine

Bikes: Terry Ganbit.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^
Yeah. They're great for repairs! I took a bike in there that I'd assembled myself, and just needed someone to tighten the headset, $5! They don't sass me about screwing up my own attempted DIY repairs, which is nice. The only thing is they will randomly close if it's nice out, but who wouldn't rather be riding?
Old 04-08-11, 12:53 PM
Ultraspontane
bedazzled fingernails

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First one is fugly.
Old 04-08-11, 01:00 PM
hamish5178

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wasn't saying for sure that 6000 series is more expensive than 7000 series, I was just trying to speculate as to why different alloys have different costs. I don't know what aluminum prices are, but there are a lot of factors... manufacturing processes are just part of it. Just like there is straight gauge 4130, butted 4130, Reynolds 520, etc, there are many different types of 6061 or 7005 aluminum tubing you can get. I suppose you can't really say that 6061 is "nicer" than 7005 or vice versa, and you can't say the same about costs either. I'm sure you can find both "cheap" and "expensive" frames with all sorts of aluminum alloys.

There's a lot of reading online and on BF about the differences. Here's a thread, for example:

https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-482375.html

I'm sure there are other reasons for choosing an aluminum alloy over another one. Machineability, weldability, heat treatability, ultimate tensile strength, stress/cycle data, etc. I don't know why Bianchi uses 7005 and Tiemeyer uses 6061, but like I said before, you probably won't notice the difference. The main benefit of 7005 is that is has a higher UTS and thinner tubing can be used, but I think with a proper frame design you can get an equally stiff 6061 frame without compromising the weight.
Thanks for the link. Metals are really fascinating, makes me want to drop out of college and become a welder...
Old 04-08-11, 01:17 PM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
affinity makes decent frames, if a bit overpriced.

price hierarchy of aluminum is generally 6k<7k<2k. don't know why tiemeyer uses 6k, maybe that's what they're most comfortable using, and weight doesn't seem to be a concern in track racing.

and tiemeyers have beautiful welds, l2aluminum
Old 04-08-11, 01:41 PM
nickpoiron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as to the overpriced nature of affinity, apparently it costs about $68 to make a lo-pro frame/fork. Just what I heard.
Old 04-08-11, 06:16 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Thanks for the link. Metals are really fascinating, makes me want to drop out of college and become a welder...
QFT. My favorite classes so far have all been centered around material behavior, and the one I'm taking right now is heavily centered around steels. And I'm registered for a welding class next semester.
Old 04-08-11, 06:45 PM
xkillemallx16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love the 212.
Old 04-08-11, 10:05 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I think the cyclone would make an awesome anything goes tough as nails bike.
Old 04-08-11, 10:49 PM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickpoiron
as to the overpriced nature of affinity, apparently it costs about $68 to make a lo-pro frame/fork. Just what I heard.
and it probably costs $20 to make a madone

raw materials cost less than a finished product.
Old 04-08-11, 10:59 PM
REMspeedwagon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wanted a lo-pro but I'm currently riding a Kilo TT. The price difference just seems ridiculous.. but that fork is delish

Old 04-08-11, 11:11 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tubing, powder coating, manufacturing costs? I doubt it costs a whole bunch compared to MSRP, but unless the Lo Pros are made of straight gauge 4130 and one layer of powder coat in some sweat shop factory, $68 sounds really low.
Old 04-08-11, 11:18 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Tubing, powder coating, manufacturing costs? I doubt it costs a whole bunch compared to MSRP, but unless the Lo Pros are made of straight gauge 4130 and one layer of powder coat in some sweat shop factory, $68 sounds really low.
I agree,even if you had a thousand people (kids) building this frame,it would still be worth at least 400,can you say Soma?
Old 04-09-11, 12:10 AM
xkillemallx16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
I agree,even if you had a thousand people (kids) building this frame,it would still be worth at least 400,can you say Soma?
most soma's are made of tange prestige = comparable to 753. or infinity = comparable to 631.

but still, affinities are nice.
Old 04-09-11, 03:24 PM
nickpoiron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea i mean thats just what i heard, as I said. Im also aware that a manufactured product costs more than raw materials, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.