Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Genesis Folding Bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Genesis Folding Bike

Old 07-18-15, 09:08 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by allencb
FWIW, they dropped the price to $180.85.

I'm so very tempted...

Chris

I've been away for a little while and am checking in on this thread.

I just looked and, for the first time since I bought my Genesis (and started this thread), the bike is now out of stock at WalMart. So perhaps the price drop to $180 was to clear out remaining inventory?

Hope it comes back into stock, it's a good deal.
Old 07-20-15, 10:48 PM
ChenZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up buying the bike after skimming through the pages. I'm loving the bike so far but I have this weird creaking sound when I peddle hard or hit a tiny bump. I located where it's coming from but can't figure out what to do now. It's coming from the middle frame latch area. When the latch isn't closed, I can push down on the bike and it's quite. But when it's close and I put any force down on the bike it makes creaking noises..
Not really wanting to sent it back to Walmart after changing a few things off the bike.
Old 07-21-15, 12:51 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChenZ
I ended up buying the bike after skimming through the pages. I'm loving the bike so far but I have this weird creaking sound when I peddle hard or hit a tiny bump. I located where it's coming from but can't figure out what to do now. It's coming from the middle frame latch area. When the latch isn't closed, I can push down on the bike and it's quite. But when it's close and I put any force down on the bike it makes creaking noises..
Not really wanting to sent it back to Walmart after changing a few things off the bike.
Main hinge integrity is the main concern I would have with a bike of that nature.

I would strongly suggest exchanging the bike while still within the return period, because a main hinge failure while at speed while at a minimum get you seriously injured.
Old 08-06-15, 10:55 PM
metachase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steering Post Hinge problem on two bikes

Originally Posted by trrubicon06
I was having some problems with one of those spring latches and had to file a small burr off inside the hole. After that, I decided to upgrade the clip with some e-clips from Lowes. They are 5/32" in size and fit perfect add tight once installed.

Here she is ready for upgrades. Great bike though.

I had the same problem on my first Genesis GCU. I returned it before reading your post, but on my replacement bike I had the exact same problem after about 8 rides. I'm thinking about returning it as well and just getting a non-folding bike (I no longer need to have a folding bike), or using the money for something else, but I wanted to ask you first: how easy it was to make this fix? Have you had any problems since?
Old 08-10-15, 01:23 AM
b4ng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this thread looking for a rack. Bought one from Walmart and used it to commute on Amtrak for about a year. Still riding it around town from time to time. I haven't yet read through all of this thread (appreciate the great info so far!), but here are some of my experiences:

Bad:
- Out of the box the headset was too tight and notchy (local bike shop tuneup fixed it)
- Right pedal came loose and started to tear up some of the crank threads. Caught it early enough to retighten and all is well so far.
- Cassette came loose and bearings grenaded. $25 to replace at local bike shop.
- Brake lever set screws backed out (one lost, the other loctited back in place).
- Creaking from somewhere related to front folding post (I think... haven't spent any time yet to investigate).
- No water bottle mounts.

Good:
- Inexpensive.
- Folds up nice and compact. Fits nicely in car trunk, worked great on train.
- Has top & bottom rear rack mounts.
- Shifter & brakes work great.
- Welds look clean and solid.
- Rides great (currently I'm a flatlander... you hillbillies are on your own

Recommend:
- This is the first non-local-bike-shop bike I have bought and learned some hard lessons. If you buy one give it a through once over or take it to a bike shop and have them clean up the assembly to save yourself above issues.
Old 08-12-15, 07:25 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
anyone had a any problems with the frame on this bike like the hinge weld failures with the Tern folder? just curious...
Old 08-13-15, 05:09 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No weld issues on my frame. The frame and welds are very nice- that's one of the things that inspired me to start this thread; the core of the bike (the frame) is quality.
Old 08-13-15, 06:05 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
that's good to hear! I love mine, but after reading the Tern thread it got me thinking.
Old 09-18-15, 11:23 AM
diver858

Bikes: Ritchey Breakaway; Motobecane Gran Premio COMP (steel 20 speed road bike); Genesis 20" Folding Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear at underside of top steering post hinge

I have ~150 miles so far on my Genesis, getting ready for a 2-day, 100 mile ride down the Florida Keys.

To date, I have been unable to get rid of the annoying squeak sound from the steering post, attempted most of the fixes suggested in this thread. Rather than wait for something bad to happen, I ordered a 10-pack of the e-clips from Home Depot, picking them up today.

While inspecting the hinge, I noticed some rather disturbing wear at the underside of the top hinge, shown in the image below:

The anodized coating on the mating bottom section of the hinge is undisturbed.

Should I be concerned? Any recommendations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Genesis-front-hinge-undersi.jpg (93.6 KB, 196 views)
Old 09-27-15, 08:58 AM
diver858

Bikes: Ritchey Breakaway; Motobecane Gran Premio COMP (steel 20 speed road bike); Genesis 20" Folding Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trrubicon06
I was having some problems with one of those spring latches and had to file a small burr off inside the hole. After that, I decided to upgrade the clip with some e-clips from Lowes. They are 5/32" in size and fit perfect add tight once installed.

Here she is ready for upgrades. Great bike though.

Adding the E-clips eliminated the annoying, constant squeaking sound from my front bars - THANK YOU!
Old 11-17-15, 10:09 AM
themak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey folks, I have had this bike for about six months now, the creaking has been out of control. I contacted Kent Bikes about the warranty, they responded that since they no longer make the bike, they would have to reimburse me for the purchase... great deal right? Not quite. In order to get refunded, they request that I cut the bicycle in half through the middle of frame and recommend having this procedure done at a local bicycle shop, take several pictures and then email them where to send the check. A part of me wants to go ahead and do this and be done with this purchase, (though how much does it cost to have a bike shop cut your bike in half) another wants to invest in the E-Clips and hope for the best. My main concern is if I don't take care of this now, I wont be able to use the warranty in the future.

I hate this.
Old 11-17-15, 10:22 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'll cut your bike in half for free!! My pleasure!

But if you wanted to just get rid of creaking, you might take it to a shop local and have them determine where the creaks are coming from.. then address those areas.. lots of people on this board have had creaking folders and have offered many solutions for creak free riding..
Old 11-21-15, 08:41 AM
diver858

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by themak
Hey folks, I have had this bike for about six months now, the creaking has been out of control. I contacted Kent Bikes about the warranty, they responded that since they no longer make the bike, they would have to reimburse me for the purchase... great deal right? Not quite. In order to get refunded, they request that I cut the bicycle in half through the middle of frame and recommend having this procedure done at a local bicycle shop, take several pictures and then email them where to send the check. A part of me wants to go ahead and do this and be done with this purchase, (though how much does it cost to have a bike shop cut your bike in half) another wants to invest in the E-Clips and hope for the best. My main concern is if I don't take care of this now, I wont be able to use the warranty in the future.

I hate this.
In my case, the e-clips did not seem to help, my solution ended up being quite simple - tightening the hinge. My wife was having difficulties keep her front hinge locked, resolved by adjusting the hex nut behind the white block. Did the same on my bike, and the creaking was GONE. Tightening the hex nut too far will make it impossible to lock the hinge.

Based on this success, and great recent rides, I have decided to put some more $$ in to the bike - bigger front chainring, longer cranks.
Old 06-27-16, 07:12 PM
uniqueandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat post

I recently picked one of these bikes up at a flea market for $15. It's missing the brake cables and seat post. Does anyone know the size of the post ?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-11-16, 12:08 AM
b4ng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34mm
Old 07-13-23, 12:56 PM
Indianflyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Locking pin?

Does anyone know where to find the locking pins and springs that are in the folding mechanism? I seem to have lost one.