Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dammit, my back went into spasm! Getting old sucks.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-16, 11:01 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

So this morning, after a very long work week, and dealing with a cold, I reached down to pick up my socks off the floor and my back went out! I went down like poleaxed. I was just getting ready to go for a ride on this moderately nice January weather! Looking forward to it all week!

It's my classic lumbar quadratus spam, but I haven't had one this bad in years. I can't really walk at the moment. I'm so bummed! Getting old sucks.

Just sharing. Thanks for listening. Ima go lie in bed and mope now.
Old 01-09-16, 11:43 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I've had luck riding when I could barely walk with lower back pain, and lying down just gave me nothing to do but concentrate on how much my back hurt. There is something about riding that does my back good as well, so that I've had fewer episodes, and those less severe.

Get better soon, and find something to keep your attention off your back, like a good videogame or binge-watching a show you've been meaning to catch up on...
Old 01-09-16, 11:59 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Hopefully, it isn't a disk getting blown into the spinal column, been there, done that, etc. If its simply a muscle spasm, a warm soaking bath will help the muscles to relax some, and for you to relax, as well. Avoid sitting in a recliner, or anything that lets you slouch down, and not keep the spine straight as possible.

Good luck with getting the back to ease up, this isn't any fun at all, as you well know.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-09-16, 12:41 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Got something similar chucking the ball for the dog 25 years ago. And again at Xmas carol singing in freezing weather.
Quack told me to get up and move around. It got better. A slipped disc I think.
Very little trouble since.

But now I gets an arthritc foot. For one who likes to ride on the pedals, this isnt good. .

When ya get older, life gets better and it also gets worse. Bit like marriage really ha ha. . wonder whats next??? !
Old 01-09-16, 01:05 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Know the feeling. Body doesn't like to bend like it used to. I'm doing morning exercise aimed at my lower body, sit ups, leg lifts, torso bends . Seems to help.
Old 01-09-16, 04:05 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Maybe you need to invest in a good inversion table. My spine doc recommended that I get one to help stretch out my lower spine.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-09-16, 05:08 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by curbtender
Know the feeling. Body doesn't like to bend like it used to. I'm doing morning exercise aimed at my lower body, sit ups, leg lifts, torso bends . Seems to help.
Sit ups are no longer a recommended exercise.

Want a stronger core? Skip the sit-ups - Harvard Health

"One reason is that sit-ups are hard on your back"
Old 01-09-16, 05:31 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I feel your pain! At least I feel mine . . . pretty much all the time. Dr. says it's arthritis in my lower back. Physical Therapy has me rolling on a foam roller every day, both vertical and horizontal and that helps. Short rides (30 mi. approx.) I'm okay without drugs but for longer rides I need vitamin "I", otherwise known as ibuprophen.

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 01-09-16 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-09-16, 05:41 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Jacuzzi... Hot tub and water jet massaging to the area works for me.
Old 01-09-16, 07:12 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was crippled in a similar fashion when I was 26 playing squash. I reached deep for a forehand and dropped like poleaxed. I couldn't stand up on my own, unless my whole spine was in column. Took about a week lying on the floor on a heating pad...

This has revisited me 3 times, when I did something stupid to throw my back off. A good chiropractor helps. There is also a different treating method called Bowen Technique (also known as Bowtech). Helped a lot in 2014 when my back was off due to a car accident (a lady rear-ended my Mustang doing 70... totaled it).
Old 01-09-16, 08:23 PM
hillcountry

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had back spasms about thirty years ago when I was young and in good shape. Now that I'm old and in poor shape, I never get them. I found that icing the back really helps the most to calm the spasms. Better than heat, muscle relaxants, etc. I would ice for thirty minutes, let it warm up for about twenty then ice it again. I put a t-shirt under the ice pack to prevent frostbite. I had shoulder surgery a while back also and found that icing twice after physical therapy did wonders then too. Good luck!
Old 01-09-16, 08:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, although for me it's usually the neck. Permanent C2 damage, nothing I can do to completely prevent the spasms. Kept me off the bike Friday and Saturday despite the relatively nice weather. Maybe Sunday. Sometimes it's bad enough I'll take a muscle relaxer, although those tend to make my legs feel like mush - I can still ride, just slowly. My concession is a comfy bike that's soft enough to soak up the bumps while still being efficient enough for 10-20 mile rides and modest hills.
Old 01-09-16, 08:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
If it's just muscle spasm it's because you aren't doing enough back work. The older you get, the more you have to work to keep your muscle size and strength. It's harder to put it on and quicker to lose it. That's the reason I've had a gym membership since 1979 and my wife and I are two of the few people who have shown up regularly for years. Resting it is oldthink. Work it until it hurts like the devil, then rest it a bit, then work it some more. That's assuming it's not a disc, just lumber stenosis, thin discs, arthritic facets, the usual BS. It's all about muscular strength and endurance. I don't medicate. I go to the gym. It's not getting old that sucks. It's getting weak that sucks.
Old 01-10-16, 07:21 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Been there. Last January, less than a week before I was leaving for Taiwan to visit my brother, the same thing happened to me. It usually takes about 2 weeks for me to recover. Because I had a 14 hour flight ahead of me I went to the doctor for some pain meds and I'm pretty sure they thought I was a drug seeker. I've had it happen probably 4 or 5 times over the last 30 years so I really don't think it has anything to do with getting old, per se.
Old 01-10-16, 07:32 AM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I changed jobs at 51 to a more physical one. My back use to give me problems before not so much now. My core muscles have gotten a lot stronger but now at almost 59 its arthritis.
Old 01-10-16, 09:46 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
If it's just muscle spasm it's because you aren't doing enough back work. The older you get, the more you have to work to keep your muscle size and strength. It's harder to put it on and quicker to lose it. That's the reason I've had a gym membership since 1979 and my wife and I are two of the few people who have shown up regularly for years. Resting it is oldthink. Work it until it hurts like the devil, then rest it a bit, then work it some more. That's assuming it's not a disc, just lumber stenosis, thin discs, arthritic facets, the usual BS. It's all about muscular strength and endurance. I don't medicate. I go to the gym. It's not getting old that sucks. It's getting weak that sucks.
I'm probably not, although I do do daily weight training most weeks. I've always been a resistance training person, and do fully understand the benefits of muscle. But I think this mostly happened because I had a cold and, as a result, didn't get up and do my stretches every hour or so at work. (Plus, sitting and coughing and sneezing while at work, and not feeling well enough to work out either before or after work.) biking has really helped my back, but I haven't been able to be on the bike much over the holidays, with a trip overseas and two long flights, and the cold...a perfect storm, really!

Believe me, I'm going to be much more diligent about all this from now on!
Old 01-10-16, 11:03 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
I'm probably not, although I do do daily weight training most weeks. I've always been a resistance training person, and do fully understand the benefits of muscle. But I think this mostly happened because I had a cold and, as a result, didn't get up and do my stretches every hour or so at work. (Plus, sitting and coughing and sneezing while at work, and not feeling well enough to work out either before or after work.) biking has really helped my back, but I haven't been able to be on the bike much over the holidays, with a trip overseas and two long flights, and the cold...a perfect storm, really!

Believe me, I'm going to be much more diligent about all this from now on!
You might want to look at Machka's Ab thread over in Training and Nutrition.
Old 01-10-16, 03:45 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My back is in terrible shape and was prone to continual back ache and occasional spasm. At one point it was so painful that had the building burning I would have been unable to move. Everyone is different but what has helped the most, as Carbonfiberboy suggests, has been a steady diet of daily core exercises. There is no substitute or slacking off for best results.
Old 01-10-16, 05:58 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

"Getting old sucks" Give some answers to this...
Old 01-10-16, 08:50 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
"Getting old sucks" Give some answers to this...
Not for me...at 72 I think this old age thing is turning out to be pretty cool. I got my first debilitating, immobilizing back spasm circa age 12. Last was at age 31 or 32. Nothing since. And after that things just got even better. I do have an arthritic, lower bad back issue now but it's treatable and I can still do whatever I could 20 years ago, albeit it often takes a bit longer. But now retired my time is my own and I really don't care.

Last edited by ltxi; 01-11-16 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 09:05 AM
billd76
Billd76

Bikes: 07 Trek 1000 and 014 Giant Escape

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had lower back pain a couple of years ago. Mine only hurt when first getting out of bed in the morning, some mornings it was fine. I would have to do 10 -15 minutes of stretching before I could move without pain. Went to the family doc, got x-rays. Showed rheumatoid arthritis. Doc said just take Alevw or Ibuprophen. Which I did with some success. Pain began to get worse, went back to the Doc. Told him I wanted an MRI. He stated that insurance wouldn't cover the MRI unless I had completed physical therapy first. Told him that was BS!! Anyway, he convinced the Insurance company to cover the MRI. Turns out I had two synovial cysts on L4 and L5 that were closing off the nerve canal. Physical Therapy would not have helped at all! Scheduled the surgery ASAP. Out patient surgery. Will be two years ago this coming May. I have been pain free ever since. Maybe not the same as your pain, just thought I would relay my experience . Good luck with your pain management.
Old 01-11-16, 02:33 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by billd76
I had lower back pain a couple of years ago. Mine only hurt when first getting out of bed in the morning, some mornings it was fine. I would have to do 10 -15 minutes of stretching before I could move without pain. Went to the family doc, got x-rays. Showed rheumatoid arthritis. Doc said just take Alevw or Ibuprophen. Which I did with some success. Pain began to get worse, went back to the Doc. Told him I wanted an MRI. He stated that insurance wouldn't cover the MRI unless I had completed physical therapy first. Told him that was BS!! Anyway, he convinced the Insurance company to cover the MRI. Turns out I had two synovial cysts on L4 and L5 that were closing off the nerve canal. Physical Therapy would not have helped at all! Scheduled the surgery ASAP. Out patient surgery. Will be two years ago this coming May. I have been pain free ever since. Maybe not the same as your pain, just thought I would relay my experience . Good luck with your pain management.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Mine is a plain ol' spasm in the left lumbar Quadratus. I've had them before, but not for years. It's better today, but I'm back at work sitting, so I'm sure that's going to be really good for it. Not.
Old 01-13-16, 11:13 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Welp, my back is still a mess. Not as bad, no, but pretty bad.

I've been daydreaming a lot about a certain woman I was briefly involved with a few years ago. She was drop-dead gorgeous, tall and blonde and lovely; brilliant and interesting...and had at one point been what many many consider, somehow, the holy grail: a stripper. In short, she was pretty literally a goddess.

So Why have I been Fantasizing about this gorgeous goddess? Because she was a massage therapist, certified in both shiatsu and deep-tissue massage, And I know she could fix my back up and get me back on the bike in no time!

I guess this tells you all you need to know about my priorities in life at this point!
Old 01-14-16, 10:05 AM
curbtender

Ha, not that your life sucks, just your priorities...
Old 01-15-16, 07:10 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 352 Posts
I hurt my back when I was 16 yrs old. My back has been giving me problems ever since. After 40 some years of Chiropractors, physical therapists, and pill pushers I have come upon a miracle product. Made by Gaiam. Sold at Target. It's shaped like a peanut, about a foot long and 5 inches in diameter. You lay on the floor and roll on it. The relief I have gotten from this thing is amazing. The first time I used it my back just kept popping and stretching. All the little knots and pinching I had been feeling were releived. Best $15 I ever spent.