Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Relieved... now finally I know what's wrong

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 11:25 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

About 3 weeks ago, I felt absolutely crap after a couple of drinks and haven't been feeling right ever since. I had all the symptoms of a common cold. In addition, my knees seemed to hurt more than usual (but I did 2 centuries just before that, so I thought that may have something to do with it.) During rides, I got tired real fast even at an easy pace and my power number was like crap, about 70% of what they were, but I had nothing more to give. Finally went to see the dr after Memorial Day, the blood test results came back today with positive for Lyme disease. They are going to put me on a 21-day antibiotic treatment.

Strangely, I feel very relieved that I know what it is now, and according to my dr, it was caught fairly early and antibiotic treatment should be very effective and there shouldn't be any long term effects. On the other hand, I think it will affect my riding for the next couple of months. I know I probably can't stay out in the sun as much, and antibiotics also takes its toll on the body. Then there is always the worry about the long term effect.

Unfortunately, effective vaccination is not yet available. So for all you guys living in areas with deers, if you ever exhibit fatigue and cold like symptoms, even without the tell-tale sign of the tick bite, Lyme disease should be one of the possibilities to be aware of. I am glad my dr was on the ball.
Old 06-04-13, 12:08 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Last year I got home from a ride and found a tick under a sock but it was not attached. I assume it was picked up stepping into the woods for a toilet break. Now I spray my socks regularly with Permathrin and check for ticks after each such stop. Glad you're on the mend. For some people Lyme disease can have serious consequences.
Old 06-04-13, 12:11 PM
mshred
It do, but it don't.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
glad you got diagnosed early. good luck getting well.
Old 06-04-13, 01:18 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many (20?) yrs ago I picked up a tick while moving some bee hives from one location to another. My wife removed the small engorged tick (nymph), then about 2-3 days later saw the diagnostic bulls eye rash surrounding the bite. Ironically, I had attended a presentation from a local doctor during a departmental seminar who discussed Lyme disease and showed several pics. I went to that doctor for diagnosis and treatment which was a 2 week course of tetracycline. You are right about limiting sun exposure, but other than that, it was a little rough on the stomach, not much else. I never had any problems, but knew several in the New Jersey area that had some severe arthritic problems since it went untreated for a long time. Good that you got it early.
Old 06-04-13, 08:31 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My buddy got Lyme disease while in the Marines, and it wasn't properly treated. His joints are now seriously f*$^*$&ed up. He's had multiple major surgeries on each of his limbs.
Old 06-05-13, 05:21 AM
dave1442397

Bikes: 2014 Boardman SLS 9.4 Di2, 2011 CAAD 10 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a co-worker who was just diagnosed with Lyme disease. He had developed Bell's Palsy and it had gotten to the point where he had to tape both eyes shut to sleep at night (eyelids no longer worked). They had done a blood test where nothi9ng showed up, and recently did a spinal tap that tested +ve for Lyme disease. At least they know what it is, and one eyelid is working again. He hasn't been in the office for months, though.
Old 06-05-13, 05:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
There is a vaccine. It got taken off the market. It was effective but apparently not cost-effective for the manufacturer.

Hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.
Old 06-05-13, 05:43 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a vaccine available for dogs, but the human vaccine is undergoing clinical trials and is promising. It could be several years until final approval in the US.
Old 06-05-13, 05:50 AM
tjax
Photon-Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stay away from that scrub oak, that is were most of those little buggers reside. My father had a long battle with lyme disease but he has since recovered. Oh the perils of the great outdoors.
Old 06-05-13, 12:28 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My dr. told me that, while I am on antibiotics treatment and recovery, I should be able to do whatever I normally do including riding... I haven't done anything longer than 50 miles in the last couple of weeks yet because I don't have the energy, but will try to do some 60- or 80-mile rides this weekend and see how it goes.

As a long time cyclist, we take a bit of muscle and knee pain as a matter of course. But I am like have that sort of soreness and pain all over my body. Sucks. Hope the antibiotics works (just started the treatment yesterday).
Old 06-05-13, 01:02 PM
shyonelung

Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You might consider taking probiotics. There come in pill and liquid form (I'm partial to the non-dairy kind but I understand it's an acquired taste for most people). You should take them at night before you go to bed -- or at least two to three hours after you've taken your antibiotics. It will help keep the good bacteria in your gut alive and well and help you avoid stomach discomfort. By the way, a lot of docs recommend probiotics now so you might ask yours. He/she could give you more info on how and when to take them.
Old 06-05-13, 01:26 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shyonelung
You might consider taking probiotics. There come in pill and liquid form (I'm partial to the non-dairy kind but I understand it's an acquired taste for most people). You should take them at night before you go to bed -- or at least two to three hours after you've taken your antibiotics. It will help keep the good bacteria in your gut alive and well and help you avoid stomach discomfort. By the way, a lot of docs recommend probiotics now so you might ask yours. He/she could give you more info on how and when to take them.
Thanks, I will check into that.