Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Campagnolo Veloce bottom bracket.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 10:10 AM
Tomate85

Bikes: Alan singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey people,
again me with annyoing questions.
I wanna replace my bottom bracket which seems to be crooked, i have Campi Veloce monoplaner brakes and found online a vintage NOS veloce bottom bracket. The thing is, i have no idea about sizes. My frame is an ALAN from 1983, racing, no track.
So, anybody could give a hand?
This is what the Veloce bottom bracket says:
36x24F
Axis lenght: 111cm
Bearing width: 66

I was researhing but i got even more confussed!
Any feedback's gonna be fantastic!
Best,

Tomate
Old 09-29-14, 10:19 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
What do the brakes have to do with the bottom bracket?

Why or how is your current bottom bracket (BB) crooked?

What kind of cranks are you going to use on this bike? If you intend to reuse your current crankset you need a BB that matches your crank.

If you have older Campagnola Nuovo/Super Record type cranks you need a spindle that is asymmetrical (longer on the drive side) and the correct length (around 118 IIRC) to match your crank.

36x24 is the threading of the BB cups. Your cups should be labeled wither 36x 24 Italian threading, or 1.37x 24 English.

If you have amodern ('90s ) Veloce crank this may work but again you need to match the crank to the BB. As cranks became flatter/less dished the spindle got shorter so you need to really look close and the year of your crank and match the BB to it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-29-14, 04:48 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
+1 All this ^^^
Old 09-29-14, 05:32 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Veloce was introduced in 1993 and always had a cartridge type BB with a 111mm symmetric spindle (the first ones were plastic). If you are replacing a Veloce BB with another, the 111mm will work with a double and a 113mm with a triple.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 09-29-14 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 06:15 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
Veloce was introduced in 1993 and always had a cartridge type BB with a 111mm symmetric spindle (the first ones were plastic). If you are replacing a Veloce BB with another, the 111mm will work with a double and a 113mm with a triple.
True but we do not know what kind of cranks the OP has. we know he has an '83 Alan with Veloce Monoplanor brakes but what cranks? CampI? Sugino? Ofmega?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-29-14, 09:10 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
True but we do not know what kind of cranks the OP has. we know he has an '83 Alan with Veloce Monoplanor brakes but what cranks? CampI? Sugino? Ofmega?
Astabula...

I'm being mean.

Tomate85, we need a lot more information to help you.

BTW, Veloce BBs came in 3 styles and 2 widths: steel cups and solid axles, steel cups with hollow axles and aluminum cups with hollow axles... The lengths were 111 for doubles and 115 for triples.

BG, as you mentioned, they were symmetric, the spindle sticks out the same amount on both sides of the cartridge. Older BBs were asymmetric.

That's not really a big deal unless someone is a "fit dictator" as in anally fixated about "Q factor" dimensions (how wide the cranks are at the point of pedal attachment). Narrow Q factors were made for people with narrow hips. But, consider triples and MTB cranks which have wider Q factors (also, oversize tubes require a wider BB).

I've been using Veloce cartridge BBs with a lot of different cranks and if they fit, they work!

verktyg

Chas.

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-29-14 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 04:49 AM
Tomate85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!
The monoplaner thing was just to put an accent on the thing "i want everything Veloce from that time".
The crank is a Shimano 600, i guess early 90', but i will replace it with a Campagnolo Athena, i just can't find a veloce from early 90'.
Thanks guys! You're awesome!

Tomate

Last edited by Tomate85; 09-30-14 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-30-14, 04:21 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I don't think Veloce came out until the later '90s and you don't want one of the painted early ones anyway.

OK so you have a 600 crankset. If your going to reuse that you of course need a shimano 600 BB but again one that corresponds to the year or model of the crank, ie 6400/ 6401/ 6402 etc.

If your going to go with an Athena cranks then you need an Athena or most any Campagnolo but here again it has to match the crankset. Some pics would be a big help. OH and the Monoplanor style brakes first came on Chorus so depending on certain styling changes will determine if they are Chorus, Athena or Veloce.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-30-14, 08:09 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
If you are going to go with a Campy crankset other than perhaps Record or Chorus, then use that BB. Chorus and Record I believe use asymmetric BBs, but I would need to research when. Current ones do I think, and late '90s for certain. I know my mid '90s Racing T crankset uses a symmetric 111mm BB. Not sure what these were based on (Veloce?), but at any rate, one of the midline Campy cranks should work fine for you.

If you want to use the Shimano 600 crank, a JIS BB might be better suited. I'm not clear on how a JIS crank on an ISO spindle effects chainline though.
Old 09-30-14, 10:21 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Except at that time Centaur was above Athena in the lineup. Chorus & Record doubles = 102mm. the rest, 111mm
Well no. Centaur has never been above Athena. What may be confusing is in 2000, Campy stopped the Athena line (for a while) and replaced it with Daytona. In 2002 Campy changed the Daytona name to Centaur, due to American copyright issues. it remained this way until 2010 when Campy re-introduced Athena (between Chorus and Centaur) as a lower level 11 speed, while Centaur remains a 10 speed below Athena.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 10-01-14 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-01-14, 05:05 AM
Tomate85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow wow wow! that's a lot of info! So i have a lot to work on right now!
Then i rather take it easy and maybe research and talk more about whats better. I got the Athena crankset for 30 euro (haven't buy it yet) and i thought it was a good deal, since as i said i find it imposible to get the matching Veloce. I thought about a vintage record from the 80' cause that would be the thing for my frame but then i love my brakes so i'd rather go along with them.
So basically if i want Campi cranks then i rather use the Campi BB, with some exceptions, and the Campi BB wouldn't suit perfectlly my Shimano 600 Cranck??
Well, every dey you learn something new!
Thank you guys, i really appreciate all the input!
Best,

T
Old 10-01-14, 05:11 AM
Tomate85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the crankset
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
athena.JPG (33.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-01-14, 05:22 AM
Tomate85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait wait wait! i just found this!!!

It sais it is a Veloce, i don't think is the same year than my brakes but might be close enough.
Just the right side for 25€. What do you think???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Veloce Kurbel 1.jpg (42.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 10-01-14, 09:22 AM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
i've once used a FC-01H Chorus(= identical to later Athena) crankset w Veloce BB (112mm although it's spec'd 115.5mm IIRC, w Aluminum cups) w no visible/mechanical prob. some might disagree and what do i know but a couple mm discrepancy in the crank/bb realm especially with old 5spd or 6spd set up can be quite superficial* IMHO.

*as long as the arm doesn't scratch the stay, i mean.

one grief that i had on Veloce BB was the weight. it's feel-ably hefty heavy, comparing to other Campy BBs.
only in case you're a WW.

Last edited by orangeology; 10-01-14 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-01-14, 09:35 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I thought we still had Athena for a little while after Daytona. Guess I was incorrect there.

And right now, if you compare like year Centaur 10s components to their Athena counterparts, the Centaur weigh less; so I'd still consider Centaur above Athena in the lineup, despite the 10 v 11 speed issue.
I made a mistake, and apologize.

Last edited by jiangshi; 10-01-14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-01-14, 11:03 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Then Velobase, (and other sources I've seen) are wrong. VB shows Athena '95-'99 (we've already determined Athena disappeared after that until Ultra or Power-Torque), uses a 111mm spindle.

HERE's Excel Cycle, selling a Centaur 111mm SqT BB for use with Athena.

By the way, misinformation is a disservice.
My apologies, I will delete my post. You are correct on the late 90's Athena. It uses a 111/115.5. I remember the source of my confusion. Totally on me.

Last edited by jiangshi; 10-01-14 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-01-14, 12:07 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tomate85
So basically if i want Campi cranks then i rather use the Campi BB, with some exceptions, and the Campi BB wouldn't suit perfectlly my Shimano 600 Cranck??

T
The two use a different configuration of the same taper; one sits out farther (or shorter) than the other. Shimano uses JIS and Campy used their propitiatory spline that is slightly smaller (until 1994 when they switched to an even smaller ISO standard). If you try the Shimano Crank on the Campy ISO BB, it will sit 5mm closer to the frame than using a Shimano (or compatible) JIS BB. As a caveat, the pre-1994 spindles varied in size slightly, but usually not enough to be a problem.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 10-02-14 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 12:40 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I don't think that "spline" is the word you want.
Old 10-01-14, 12:48 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
The Centaur BBs are a direct replacement, though usually more expensive. That is what I got for using the Racing T on my Raleigh. From what I have read, the Centaur BBs have 3 sets of bearings in them vs. 2 for the Athena.

Old 10-01-14, 02:29 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Tomate85
Wait wait wait! i just found this!!!

It sais it is a Veloce, i don't think is the same year than my brakes but might be close enough.
Just the right side for 25€. What do you think???
What year are your brakes? Are you familiar with Velobase? It is a great sight complied by a bunch of bike geeks (some members here) and a wealth of information, not to mention a great place to ID CampI parts.

22 post and no pics of the OPs bike

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-01-14, 03:17 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Pars
The Centaur BBs are a direct replacement, though usually more expensive. That is what I got for using the Racing T on my Raleigh. From what I have read, the Centaur BBs have 3 sets of bearings in them vs. 2 for the Athena.

One of the nicest BB's Campy made. I have them on two of my bikes.

Last edited by cs1; 10-04-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 04:34 PM
Tomate85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bianchigirll! I was already at Velobase and it just sais -early 90'? so i'm not so sure!
But sure Velobase it's a great place!
Old 10-01-14, 08:56 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
The two use a different spline; the taper is the same but one sits out farther (or shorter) than the other. Shimano uses JIS and Campy used their propitiatory spline that is slightly smaller (until 1994 when they switched to an even smaller ISO standard). If you try the Shimano Crank on the Campy ISO BB, it will sit 5mm closer to the frame than using a Shimano (or compatible) JIS BB. As a caveat, the pre-1994 spindles varied in size slightly, but usually not enough to be a problem.
Since this thread has explored various of the spindle taper considerations, I will point out that the difference in taper "depth" of fit between JIS and ISO spindles is approximately 2.5mm per side, or 5mm in terms of the effective overall spindle length.

The precise ISO taper on Campy bottom brackets arrived with the introduction of their cartridge bb's: ...if it's a Campy cartridge bb, it's taper is ISO.

The difference in taper fit depth between JIS bb's and Campy's earlier cup/cone bb's is often as small as 1-1.5mm

JIS spindles fortunately tend to be particularly consistent in terms of their sizing, over their entire 40-something years of production.

Dura-Ace spindles are sized as JIS but measurements can vary slightly because of sharp-edged taper flats and what appears to be a subtle convexity to the taper faces. Dura Ace cranks mount to non-Dura-Ace tapered JIS spindles as expected with no length compensations needed.

Last edited by dddd; 10-01-14 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 10:01 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dddd
Since this thread has explored various of the spindle taper considerations, I will point out that the difference in taper "depth" of fit between JIS and ISO spindles is approximately 2.5mm per side, or 5mm in terms of the effective overall spindle length.

The precise ISO taper on Campy bottom brackets arrived with the introduction of their cartridge bb's: ...if it's a Campy cartridge bb, it's taper is ISO.

The difference in taper fit depth between JIS bb's and Campy's earlier cup/cone bb's is often as small as 1-1.5mm

JIS spindles fortunately tend to be particularly consistent in terms of their sizing, over their entire 40-something years of production.

Dura-Ace spindles are sized as JIS but measurements can vary slightly because of sharp-edged taper flats and what appears to be a subtle convexity to the taper faces. Dura Ace cranks mount to non-Dura-Ace tapered JIS spindles as expected with no length compensations needed.
I know you have done an exhaustive study with this, I was simply quoting Sheldon Brown;
If you install an ISO crank on a J.I.S. spindle, it will sit about 4.5 mm farther out than it would on an ISO spindle of the same length.
Square Taper Bottom Bracket Interchangeability. The accompanying photo shows a spindle about 6mm-7mm short of the end of the taper on the inside of the crank, so I always assumed it was 4.5mm on each side..

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 10-01-14 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 10:24 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I don't think that "spline" is the word you want.
Fixed it thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.